As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wisconsin] didn't mess it up for once

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    I really, really hate how moving to a blue state would functionally mean giving up my vote.

Go to a purple state

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    I moved from Kansas to Wisconsin fifteen years ago in large part because I could see the trajectory Kansas was headed in and wanted to be in a well-run blue state. That didn't exactly turn out how I planned.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    I moved from Kansas to Wisconsin fifteen years ago in large part because I could see the trajectory Kansas was headed in and wanted to be in a well-run blue state. That didn't exactly turn out how I planned.

You are like Ripley flying back to the Sulaco, unknowingly giving a ride to the alien queen.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018

If you had to pick a new state to move to, which would it be?

Veevee on
    Veevee wrote: »

Probably Michigan or Minnesota. I have a lot of family in Madison still so I don't want to go too far and I like the upper midwest a lot. Coming from a place that's nothing but wheat fields being around trees, lakes, and hills is still cool after all these years. I'd also think about going to New England, either upstate New York or Vermont.

Probably Michigan or Minnesota. I have a lot of family in Madison still so I don't want to go too far and I like the upper midwest a lot. Coming from a place that's nothing but wheat fields being around trees, lakes, and hills is still cool after all these years. I'd also think about going to New England, either upstate New York or Vermont.

Minnesota is my state MVP for its combo of midwestern sensibility and sane government. Living in the Twin Cities also gives me proximity to my Wisconsin family without having to say that Walker is my governor.

Oh, I'll never moved based on state government again, that shit changes too quickly. It wasn't that long ago that Minnesota and Wisconsin's positions were switched, politically speaking.

Realistically I'll be here as long as my dad and aunts are still alive since they're all getting up there in age.

Oh, I'll never moved based on state government again, that shit changes too quickly. It wasn't that long ago that Minnesota and Wisconsin's positions were switched, politically speaking.

Realistically I'll be here as long as my dad and aunts are still alive since they're all getting up there in age.

Minnesota voted Mondale in 1984. Even when they had a Republican governor, they were never where Wisconsin is now. Wisconsin is fucking Louisiana levels of screwy Republican government. The people are still fairly purple, but I feel like the right has hacked them and they don't see how their elected officials are screwing them.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

Minnesota voted Mondale in 1984. Even when they had a Republican governor, they were never where Wisconsin is now. Wisconsin is fucking Louisiana levels of screwy Republican government. The people are still fairly purple, but I feel like the right has hacked them and they don't see how their elected officials are screwing them.

The right has been radicalized to an insane degree combined with a bunch of other people who don't really pay attention to politics not realising that is the usual culprit for this kind of shit.

Cost to state for Foxconn now at $4.5 Billion

Cool, cool, cool. Can't wait for them to decimate services in the state to pay for this clusterfuck. I'm guessing that will start directly after the 2018 elections.

• Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    *A beam of sunlight pierces through the clouds*
    Patty Schachtner defeated Republican state Rep. Adam Jarchow for an open state Senate seat Tuesday in an upset victory for struggling Wisconsin Democrats, signaling voter anger toward President Donald Trump that could cost the GOP more legislative seats in the fall elections.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Democrats just won a special election for a seat that hasn't been blue in 18 years, and which Trump won by a 17-point margin.

Expect a lot more calls for voter suppression in Wisconsin before November, I bet.

LxX6eco.jpg
    Even the assembly special election the Dems lost was a 25 point swing from November. There's got to be some serious pucker factor for the rest of the state GOP tonight.

edited January 2018
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Democrats just won a special election for a seat that hasn't been blue in 18 years, and which Trump won by a 17-point margin.

Expect a lot more calls for voter suppression in Wisconsin before November, I bet.

For further clarification on how big this is, timeline of elected state senators from District 10

1850 to 1883 - Democrats
    1885 to 1977 - Republican
    1977 to 1981 - Democrat
    1981 to 1993 - Republican (In 1989 a democrat was elected, but he was convicted of bribery within months of the start of his term and a republican won the special election)
    1993 to 2001 - Democrat
    2001 to Now - Republican

For the last 133 years, it has been a democrat for only 12 years. And if you take into consideration the political shift that happened in the 1880's, you could make an argument that it has been a democrat for only 12 years in 168 years, and all of it only in the last quarter of the districts existence, and less than a third of that time.

Also, Romney won the district by over 6 points, bush by about 3 points both times. Obama won by 2.5 in 2008 but that was also peak hopey changey feelings.

Veevee on
    Scott Walker is scared

4E6C83AE-95C4-42C2-BE08-B87D3E7EFEF8-600x443.jpeg

LxX6eco.jpg
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I would be too.

Previous waves:

2010 was R+7
    2014 was R+6
    2006 was D+8
    2008 was D+11

Aaron Booth is just some guy

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    did they win all 4?!

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    did they win all 4?!

No. Only SD10.

ztrEPtD.gif
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    did they win all 4?!

No... it looks like the Dem only won one of those seats (the SD10 one). The numbers in the tweet show how much better the Dem vote was than the last election.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Selner wrote: »
    did they win all 4?!

No... it looks like the Dem only won one of those seats (the SD10 one). The numbers in the tweet show how much better the Dem vote was than the last election.

Those were all extremely Red areas, if I remember correctly.

did they win all 4?!

Which is a good trend, but these special elections are hard to extrapolate into greater meaning.

did they win all 4?!

Most of these special elections are when someone leaves to join the administration(s). They are typically chosen from extremely "safe" districts, so that is one reason why the trend is heartening.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    did they win all 4?!

Most of these special elections are when someone leaves to join the administration(s). They are typically chosen from extremely "safe" districts, so that is one reason why the trend is heartening.

Plus the recent Alabama special election.

If the GOP derps hard on the Net Neutrality stuff, 2018 is going to be an interesting election. Wisconsin really, really needs it to be as interesting as possible.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    SC is about as red as red can be. The race here, HD99, went 55-45. Trump won this seat 58.14%-35.35% after Romney carried it 66.30%-32.05% margin.

All show a large blue wave, and good on WI SD10 in particular for their flip.

Thus ends this related but not quite info.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular

They had jesse the mind ventura as gov for a while. They were off in crazy town for a good while.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Wait, Dems won a senate seat?

Does thst mean they have 50 seats now?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular

State senate.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    state senate, not US

pretty sure we're at 49D-51R nationally

State Senate, not US Senate. Wisconsin has a bicameral legislature with the two parts called the State Senate and State Assembly.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Oh, whoops. Misread the article and got my hopes up.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Oh, whoops. Misread the article and got my hopes up.

Ha, if that was a National Senate seat then it slipped pretty neatly under the radar!

"Hey all, I know we here at CNN made a big deal about that last special election, and that annoyed you, so for this one we decided to just not say anything instead. Democrats won, the entire political landscape is reshaped!"

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited January 2018
    Kohler wants to build a golf course using state park land, no problem says the DNR
    The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources said Wednesday that plans for a controversial 247-acre Kohler Co. golf course would comply with the state’s environmental protection law despite making changes that would affect wildlife and be noticed by visitors to an adjacent state park on Lake Michigan.

The DNR issued a final environmental impact statement for the project, which would disturb several acres of wetland, require digging of a high-capacity well, and use five acres of the popular Kohler-Andrae State Park south of Sheboygan.

“The natural scenic beauty of the view of the dunes from the lake may be lessened by tree removal and structure construction,” the report says. “It is expected that at least the viewing tower associated with the club house would be visible from the lake and it is likely that the public view from the lake would also include the tees, greens, and other infrastructure.”

Construction noise, dust and traffic congestion would be expected for two years, followed by higher levels of traffic and congestion at the park entrance, in addition to increased competition for overflow parking on nearby roads during peak times for visitors at the park and golf course special events.

The permanent maintenance facility and fence on park land may be visible to park visitors. It would cover about 22,000 square feet and be used to house equipment and for the storage and mixing of herbicides, pesticides and fertilizer.

The environmental impact statement predicts that stopover habitat for migrating birds would be significantly reduced by expected removal of about half of the forest now covering the land. Eleven endangered or threatened species live on or around the property.

Natural Resources Board chairman Terry Hilgenberg said Wednesday that he has received dozens of emails about the course, including many from opponents, but he said he had confidence that the golf course would be responsibly designed.

“Kohler does things right,” Hilgenberg said. “That gives me more confidence about it, but unfortunately until you see it you don’t know what it will be.”

Kohler Co. chairman Herbert V. Kohler Jr. is a political supporter of Republican Gov. Scott Walker and one of the richest residents of the state.

I bet that after they destroy the park they'll turn around and go "No one goes there anymore and we'd like to build another golf course..."

Walker can not be voted out fast enough. Edit: In other corrupt Wisconsin news, some shit is going down with the state Ethics and Elections Commissions, which the GOP created after they got rid of the the state Government Accountability Board because they failed to remove the King helped with the John Doe II investigation into Walker's recall campaign.
    As a vote on his fate draws near, state Ethics Administrator Brian Bell is ripping the former state ethics agency, the Government Accountability Board, saying he left it in 2015 because it enforced the law unevenly and one of its top attorneys, Democrat Shane Falk, “displayed open partisanship.”

In a memo released to lawmakers Wednesday, Bell gave his sharpest public denunciation yet of the now-defunct accountability board. It comes as the state Senate is poised to hold pivotal votes Tuesday on the confirmations of Bell and the state Elections Administrator, Mike Haas.

Fitzgerald said a Senate vote to not confirm Bell and Haas would forcibly remove them. Elections Commission chairman Mark Thomsen, a Democrat, has said the law only allows the Ethics and Elections commissions to do that.

Chris Ott, director of the ACLU of Wisconsin, said the Senate does not have authority to oust the administrators if the six-member commissions — each of which include three Democrats and three Republicans — want them to stay.

Both commissions, whose members were appointed by state lawmakers, have been unanimous in their support for Haas and Bell.

“They created these commissions and gave them the authority to hire and fire,” Ott said.

Fitzgerald and others disagree. The nonpartisan Legislative Reference Bureau has said state law allows the administrators to serve with the Senate’s “advice and consent.” A Senate vote to not confirm them would mean their appointments are no longer valid and their positions vacated, according to the bureau’s general counsel, Rick Champagne.

The calls for Bell and Haas to step aside came shortly after the state attorney general released a report last month into leaked documents from the investigation of Walker’s 2012 recall campaign, known as John Doe II. The report by Attorney General Brad Schimel, a Republican, called for discipline against 10 current or former public officials in connection with the leak. Neither Bell nor Haas were on that list.

Fitzgerald has refused to hold hearings in the Senate to allow the administrators to argue their case.

Veevee on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    That board head belivably could have then said "Oh my laundry is done" as he's handed a sack with a dollar sign on it.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    Kohler wants to build a golf course using state park land, no problem says the DNR
    The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources said Wednesday that plans for a controversial 247-acre Kohler Co. golf course would comply with the state’s environmental protection law despite making changes that would affect wildlife and be noticed by visitors to an adjacent state park on Lake Michigan.

The DNR issued a final environmental impact statement for the project, which would disturb several acres of wetland, require digging of a high-capacity well, and use five acres of the popular Kohler-Andrae State Park south of Sheboygan.

“The natural scenic beauty of the view of the dunes from the lake may be lessened by tree removal and structure construction,” the report says. “It is expected that at least the viewing tower associated with the club house would be visible from the lake and it is likely that the public view from the lake would also include the tees, greens, and other infrastructure.”

Construction noise, dust and traffic congestion would be expected for two years, followed by higher levels of traffic and congestion at the park entrance, in addition to increased competition for overflow parking on nearby roads during peak times for visitors at the park and golf course special events.

The permanent maintenance facility and fence on park land may be visible to park visitors. It would cover about 22,000 square feet and be used to house equipment and for the storage and mixing of herbicides, pesticides and fertilizer.

The environmental impact statement predicts that stopover habitat for migrating birds would be significantly reduced by expected removal of about half of the forest now covering the land. Eleven endangered or threatened species live on or around the property.

Natural Resources Board chairman Terry Hilgenberg said Wednesday that he has received dozens of emails about the course, including many from opponents, but he said he had confidence that the golf course would be responsibly designed.

“Kohler does things right,” Hilgenberg said. “That gives me more confidence about it, but unfortunately until you see it you don’t know what it will be.”

Kohler Co. chairman Herbert V. Kohler Jr. is a political supporter of Republican Gov. Scott Walker and one of the richest residents of the state.

I bet that after they destroy the park they'll turn around and go "No one goes there anymore and we'd like to build another golf course..."

Walker can not be voted out fast enough. Edit: In other corrupt Wisconsin news, some shit is going down with the state Ethics and Elections Commissions, which the GOP created after they got rid of the the state Government Accountability Board because they failed to remove the King helped with the John Doe II investigation into Walker's recall campaign.
    As a vote on his fate draws near, state Ethics Administrator Brian Bell is ripping the former state ethics agency, the Government Accountability Board, saying he left it in 2015 because it enforced the law unevenly and one of its top attorneys, Democrat Shane Falk, “displayed open partisanship.”

In a memo released to lawmakers Wednesday, Bell gave his sharpest public denunciation yet of the now-defunct accountability board. It comes as the state Senate is poised to hold pivotal votes Tuesday on the confirmations of Bell and the state Elections Administrator, Mike Haas.

Fitzgerald said a Senate vote to not confirm Bell and Haas would forcibly remove them. Elections Commission chairman Mark Thomsen, a Democrat, has said the law only allows the Ethics and Elections commissions to do that.

Chris Ott, director of the ACLU of Wisconsin, said the Senate does not have authority to oust the administrators if the six-member commissions — each of which include three Democrats and three Republicans — want them to stay.

Both commissions, whose members were appointed by state lawmakers, have been unanimous in their support for Haas and Bell.

“They created these commissions and gave them the authority to hire and fire,” Ott said.

Fitzgerald and others disagree. The nonpartisan Legislative Reference Bureau has said state law allows the administrators to serve with the Senate’s “advice and consent.” A Senate vote to not confirm them would mean their appointments are no longer valid and their positions vacated, according to the bureau’s general counsel, Rick Champagne.

The calls for Bell and Haas to step aside came shortly after the state attorney general released a report last month into leaked documents from the investigation of Walker’s 2012 recall campaign, known as John Doe II. The report by Attorney General Brad Schimel, a Republican, called for discipline against 10 current or former public officials in connection with the leak. Neither Bell nor Haas were on that list.

Fitzgerald has refused to hold hearings in the Senate to allow the administrators to argue their case.

D... doesn't Kohler already have Blackwolf Run (which is composed of 2 courses), and Whistling Straits (one of the most beautiful courses in the midwest, if not the country)? Or am I thinking of a different Kohler?

D... doesn't Kohler already have Blackwolf Run (which is composed of 2 courses), and Whistling Straits (one of the most beautiful courses in the midwest, if not the country)? Or am I thinking of a different Kohler?

They do, but the billionaire owner wants another one, and he gave Walker a large pile of cash over the years.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular

has a billionaire owning a lot of something ever prevented them from wanting more of something.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    I am against turning more good real estate into rich mens playgrounds

• TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Maybe if they can use it to get WI favorable treatment in the budget or any other legislative work that comes up?

After all, "Sir, if you give Wisconsin a shitload of money you'll be the first to play on this exclusive new golf course that used to be a national park" would probably be pretty enticing to a certain doughy POTUS.

Taramoor on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    We really need to start being willing to say as Democrats in this country that we are willing to purchase with eminent domain and tear down projects which are built in a corrupt fashion when Republicans are in control of the legislature. Noone needs or wants another damned golf course, and we need to start showing people that the profits of legalized corruption will not be afforded the same protections as those built within the spirit of the law. Noone will care, and nor should they.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln