As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wisconsin] didn't mess it up for once

• Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Well. In the case of Florida's drug testing the poors, the company that did the drug testing "COINCIDENTLY" was a company where his wife owned owned the controlling shares.

So I imagine a similar kicky-backy situation whenever any other state does it.

sig.gif
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Lovely wrote: »
    Well. In the case of Florida's drug testing the poors, the company that did the drug testing "COINCIDENTLY" was a company where his wife owned owned the controlling shares.

So I imagine a similar kicky-backy situation whenever any other state does it.

It's a twofer - you get to shame the underclass, and at the same time bilk the state.

In their world, that's called a "win-win situation".

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015

Every candidate does this. I think Hillary was still raising money in 2011 to pay off 2008 campaign debts.

Edit: make that 2013: http://www.usatoday.com/story/onpolitics/2013/01/23/hillary-clinton-campaign-debt-free/1857991/

Hedgethorn on
  • Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Oh hey, this didn't work in 1996 for Tommy Thompson, but will it work now?
    The Wisconsin Supreme Court is considering whether to overturn a nearly 20-year-old ruling that protected powers of the state superintendent of schools from being taken away by the Legislature or governor.

The court heard arguments Tuesday in a case challenging a 2011 law that gives the governor the power to approve and block administrative rules being enacted by the state superintendent.

Lower courts have struck down the law as it applied to state Superintendent Tony Evers and the department he oversees.

Attorneys for Evers, parents and education groups challenging the law are urging the court not to overturn the 1996 ruling that stopped then-Gov. Tommy Thompson from placing the education department under his control.

Assistant Attorney General David Meany says the Legislature can change who has rule-making authority.

Yes, yes it will :cry:

Edit: Little background info: The state superintendent is an elected (in the spring election :(), nonpartisan official who is part of the executive branch. The ruling in 1996 was about the governor creating a department of education and appointing a director of that department that would take over duties from the Superintendent.

Veevee on
  • Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Top Walker aide ordered cabinet members not to use state phones or e-mail for official business.

If only the Government had to show Accountability to some kind of Board this would get investigated, but clearly such an idea is crazy.

• Options
    Last June, Walker signed a bill repealing Wisconsin's 48-hour waiting period for handgun purchases.

14 days ago, Christopher O’Kroley murdered Caroline Nosal, a female co-worker that he blamed for being fired the day before.
    Police also said O’Kroley told them he bought the handgun he used in the shooting from a gun shop right after he was fired and would have shot Nosal that day except he realized he had never fired a gun and wanted to practice with it. That led some people to tell the Nosals that O’Kroley was so mad that he would have waited for as long as it was required — even longer than 48 hours — to shoot their daughter.

“I would like to take the hands of anybody who says guns didn’t kill her and tell them to look into my eyes and then tell me that they were 100 percent sure that if there was a waiting period that Caroline still would have been killed,” said Jane Brady Nosal, a 57-year-old nurse. “There was a chance he could have been stopped. Somebody could have learned about his plot and done something to stop it. Anything could have happened.”

Good job, Walker and fellow Wisconsin GOP members.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    well, clearly the waiting period needs to be even shorter. Caroline Nosal may have survived if the waiting period was less than zero hours, perhaps -24h.

• Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    So here's a draft from God knows when:

---
    I am fucking worried about you, Wisconsin. I thought we were Gov. Scott bros, and we could commiserate about whose Scott was more of a corrupt dick nozzle, and laugh and feel better.

But seriously. You win.

Now, please, just grab your phone charger and get the hell out of there.
    ---

Still applicable. Increasingly concerned it will never not be.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    I just want to go out in the street and shout FUCK YOUUUUU GOVERNOR over and over

This applies in several states as of late

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    well, clearly the waiting period needs to be even shorter. Caroline Nosal may have survived if the waiting period was less than zero hours, perhaps -24h.

That would allow the victim to go back in time and buy a gun so she could stop the madman by murdering him before he did anything.

• Options
    At least the state senate had the good sense to scrap the bill allowing for privatization of drinking water systems. Apparently even they aren't dumbfucks enough to pass that while the Flint crisis is going on.

They did, however, pass bills cutting back lakefront protections, reducing tenants' rights, and overriding Dane county zoning decisions, so it's still a banner week for fuckery.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Because why make an angry, impulsive person wait to get a gun? All that does is give them a window to let their head cool off and think about the consequences of their actions instead of being able to act irrationally immediately.

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Because why make an angry, impulsive person wait to get a gun? All that does is give them a window to let their head cool off and think about the consequences of their actions instead of being able to act irrationally immediately.

You'd be surprised at how many actions are a result of impulse.

If I recall correctly, when England changed the type of gas it supplied to houses for ovens to one less immediately dangerous to humans, suicide rates plummeted as a result.

• Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »
    At least the state senate had the good sense to scrap the bill allowing for privatization of drinking water systems. Apparently even they aren't dumbfucks enough to pass that while the Flint crisis is going on.

They did, however, pass bills cutting back lakefront protections, reducing tenants' rights, and overriding Dane county zoning decisions, so it's still a banner week for fuckery.

You see this report about Superior's privatized water system?
    A glass of water in Superior, a city that stands on the shore of the largest freshwater supply in the world, costs more than almost anywhere else in the state.

One reason for the high cost is that the city’s drinking water system is owned by a private corporation, the only one of Wisconsin’s roughly 80 major municipal drinking water systems that isn’t publicly owned.

In setting water rates for Superior, the state Public Service Commission (PSC) awarded the water system owner, Allete Inc. of Duluth, Minnesota, a return on investment of more than 9 percent, the highest in Wisconsin.

The author of a bill to make it easier for out-of-state corporations to buy Wisconsin drinking water systems — and harder for citizens to block them — says there is no need to worry that a private owner would jack up water bills, because the PSC sets prices.

But the PSC factored in the profit expectations of the company’s shareholders and higher debt costs of private utilities in setting Allete’s base water rate higher than any other large water system.

“It is typical for private water utilities to have higher rates and lower access than municipal systems,” said Jenny Kehl, director of the UW-Madison Center for Water Policy.

The base charge for water in Superior — $51 per quarter — is more than double the average $21 for major water utilities in the state, according to data from the PSC website.

When base charges and the amount charged per gallon are taken into account, the average quarterly bill for a Superior customer using 5,000 gallons monthly is $152 a month, compared with the state average of $73, according to a study conducted last year by the Madison Water Utility.

“It is difficult to compare our rates only to municipal-owned systems,” said Paul Holt, manager and treasurer for Superior Water, Light and Power, which has been owned by Allete since 1923.

Holt said rates were structured to ensure that the company could compete for investors. The company has purchased a new storage tower and reservoir in the last 10 years, but those improvements aren’t necessarily more extensive than those done by other water systems, Holt said.

Lawrie Kobza, a Madison attorney who represents publicly owned utilities, said the PSC sets rates for municipal water utilities high enough to cover operating costs, but they can’t make a profit.

However, rates are set to also cover a “rate of return,” which is the amount needed to repay money borrowed to buy equipment such as pumps, pipelines and facilities for storage and treatment of water, Kobza said.

For Allete, the cost of borrowing money is higher because as a private corporation it can’t command the lower interest rates the municipal utilities get through laws that allow them to sell tax-free bonds.

In addition, the PSC adds income aimed at making Allete stock more desirable to shareholders, Kobza said.

Allete owns the Superior utilities and several others in Minnesota, said company spokeswoman Kelley Eldien.

One publicly owned water system in Wisconsin had a higher overall bill than Superior. The village of Howard, just outside Green Bay, had an average quarterly bill of $153.45.

Howard public works director Geoff Fahr said a purchase agreement with the Central Brown County Water Utility was the major cost factor underlying its water rate. The village was forced to purchase its water after radium above federal standards was found in village wells.

The lead author of the proposal legislation, Rep. Tyler August, R-Lake Geneva, didn’t respond to requests for comment Monday.

The Assembly passed AB 554 on Jan. 12. A Senate committee approved the Senate version, SB 432, on a 3-2 party-line vote Jan. 28.

August said last month that he introduced the legislation at the request of Aqua America Inc., a Pennsylvania-based company that owns water and sewer utilities in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Texas, Illinois, North Carolina, New Jersey, Indiana and Virginia.

August’s proposal would change the procedure for approving a purchase.

Under existing law, the PSC sets the terms of sale, which must be approved by a public referendum in order to be completed. Under the proposal, a referendum is optional. Voters would need to gather signatures to force a vote, and the election would take place before the PSC set the terms.

• Options
    My water comes from a privatized company and my monthly water bill is like, $15 to 20 bucks.

• Options
    My water comes from a privatized company and my monthly water bill is like, $15 to 20 bucks.

Your bill would most likely be even less if it were run by a halfway decent public utility. Everything being equal, the need to create profits alone means that a private utility has to charge more. Of course not everything is equal, but I personally would rather have a service who's sole mission is to provide me with clean drinking water rather than service who's sole mission is to create a profit by providing me with clean drinking water as cheaply as possible.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

That would allow the victim to go back in time and buy a gun so she could stop the madman by murdering him before he did anything.

b6nqvrl32knh.jpg

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Veevee wrote: »

Your bill would most likely be even less if it were run by a halfway decent public utility. Everything being equal, the need to create profits alone means that a private utility has to charge more. Of course not everything is equal, but I personally would rather have a service who's sole mission is to provide me with clean drinking water rather than service who's sole mission is to create a profit by providing me with clean drinking water as cheaply as possible.

I think my city is the exception, since its actually hilariously corrupt. The electric company is owned by the city and was found to be overcharging for its services to the city to the tune of millions, but a judge said that it couldn't be taken to court for it because since it was owned by the city, it would be like the city taking itself to court.

So the electric company just gets to keep bilking the people of Chattanooga out of their tax dollars when its now totally out in the open that they've been routinely overcharging for years.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

I think my city is the exception, since its actually hilariously corrupt. The electric company is owned by the city and was found to be overcharging for its services to the city to the tune of millions, but a judge said that it couldn't be taken to court for it because since it was owned by the city, it would be like the city taking itself to court.

So the electric company just gets to keep bilking the people of Chattanooga out of their tax dollars when its now totally out in the open that they've been routinely overcharging for years.

Doesn't EPB run the city's fiber network too? I'd trade a few extra bucks on my power bill for a cheap gigabit connection :P

• Options
    It does.

But the fact remains that the EPB is overcharging the city for its power by an ungodly amount and the courts just shrug their shoulders at it and say "but whaddayagonna do?"

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Luckily we can totally have the state or federal government sue the city on behalf of the citizens!

• Options
    Can't the city just replace the people running the power company they own? Or, you know, tell them to stop being geese? And if they won't, then vote in someone who will.

Yeah yeah, i know, easier said than done. Doesn't mean you stop trying, though.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Can't the city just replace the people running the power company they own? Or, you know, tell them to stop being geese? And if they won't, then vote in someone who will.

Yeah yeah, i know, easier said than done. Doesn't mean you stop trying, though.

Or can't you just find a lawyer ready to take up a class action suit. Then instead to the city suing itself you have a bunch of citizens doing it.

I mean they'll just a recoup their losses by raising your taxes but...

• Options
    None of that's going to happen because the only guy that seems to care is someone that the city screwed over in a deal to use his companies energy efficient lights in all of the cities streetlights or something, and then told him to fuck off because EPB didn't want those light used.

No one else really seems to care. The general public is pretty apathetic.

• Options
    How did this special snowflake make it through life, much less an election?
    State Rep. Kathy Bernier, R-Lake Hallie, walked out of a Monday meeting with representatives of three local school districts, upset when an Eau Claire School Board member stated that Wisconsin’s economy compared unfavorably with Minnesota’s.

“Fundamentally, Minnesota is beating us,” said Wendy Sue Johnson, citing a Jan. 20 article written by state Sen. Kathleen Vinehout (D-Alma), who also attended the meeting.

“Our (school) funding formula is broken,” Johnson added.

Bernier then got up to leave the “Breakfast with Our Legislators” session involving the Chippewa Falls, Altoona and Eau Claire School Districts at the Avalon Hotel and Conference Center in Chippewa Falls.

• Options
    It's amazing what you can get away with in rural wisconsin by blaming Madison and "stickin' it to liberals" rhetoric.

At least they aren't poisoning our citizens. Yet.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Isn't there a bill in your legislature to 1) Emergency Manager the fuck out of you and 2) Privatize water?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    No on #1 and #2 has been tabled until (reading between the lines) the Flint thing dies down.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I think I'm thinking of Illinois with the EM thing.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I believe that the Wisconsin state government already has the authority to dissolve any and all municipalities within the state. Municipalities are granted political rights by the state, and the state is able to remove those rights at any time. Michigan's EM powers are effectively this, just with a coat of paint to cover the stains this type of power play would normally leave on a political career.

I'd like to think Wisconsinites are smart enough to not stand an EM Bill if it's presented, but, huh... well... recent history shows I should start sharing whatever I've apparently been smoking.

Ugh... I'm not beaten down yet, but I don't think my spirit can take another GOP Governor and Legislature dualing to be the worst. Not for a while, at least.

Veevee on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Generally all local power is devolved from the State governments and they are free to do what the like with them provided they don't violate one of the Amendments.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    So, the sort of people who cannot vote in Scott Walker's Wisconsin includes a 90 year old vet who served at Iwo Jima:
    In her letter, Bradley said her uncle had fought at Iwo Jima, the bloody World War II battle that was immortalized in a photo of the U.S. flag being raised on the tiny Pacific island. Tuesday marked the 71st anniversary of the 1945 flag raising. Bradley's uncle, Leo Olson of Reedsburg, tried to use his veterans ID card to vote in last week's primary for a seat on the state Supreme Court, but that form of identification can't be used under the state's voter ID law. Olson does not have a driver's license. That could soon change because of legislation the state Senate is to take up next month. Even if approved, it may not be in place for the April 5 election, when voters will decide the state Supreme Court race and cast ballots in the presidential primaries. "He considers voting part of his patriotic duty," Bradley wrote to Walker. "Yet, last week this proud patriot of 90 years of age was embarrassed and confused when he went to the polls and was denied his right to vote. Then he presented his veterans administration card with his picture on it, he was told that the card was not listed as 'acceptable' proof of his identity. He responded: 'You mean veterans can't vote?'"

Yet more proof why voter ID laws are gooseshit.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    #notrealamericans

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    2018 can't come fast enough for that asshole. Hopefully there's something left of the state by then.

Calica on
  • Options
    For further clarification, that vet was State Supreme Court Justice Bradley's uncle. She has asked the governor to amend the law to include military IDs, and as far as I know Walker hasn't responded yet. Justice Bradley is also a part of the liberal wing of the court and was part of the dissent against the ID Law when it came before the court, so we don't even get that bit of schadenfreude either.

• Options
    daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    2018 can't come fast enough for that asshole. Hopefully there's something left of the state by then.

Is he being term limited out? Because even with a 38% approval rating, booting him in an off-year election might not be the easiest thing.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    I can hope.

edit: Wisconsin has no term limit for its governor.

Calica on
  • Options
    And in honest to goodness good news from Wisconsin, the state supreme court held that donning and doffing safety gear is, in fact, a work activity that must be compensated. The plant's argument has to be heard to be believed:
    Hormel attorney Thomas Krukowski had argued that the Minnesota-based company didn’t have to pay workers for the time they spent getting dressed and undressed. He maintained that wearing the gear wasn’t crucial to workers’ activities since they could accomplish their tasks without wearing it.

• Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    That safety gear mandated by OSHA for this dangerous job? You totally don't need that.