As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Driver: San Francisco - Bullitt With Butterfly Wings

13»

• Options
    no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    Wow, out of nowhere this looks really good. The reviews are almost all positive and seem to say this game really delivers a unique experience.

I love love love driving games, since way back when. I can't justify $60 for it though, I may fire Gamefly back up instead.

Wonder how the port will be?

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Also, yeah upgrades apply to all cars, which is good.

In other news, this game is still super fun.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I'll probably wait for a sale.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I'm doing the same tbh.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Which is fair enough, it's not something you need to play right now, but it was a pleasant surprise.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    So this game is out already but the thread is only on page three? Is that a sign of badness or just apathy toward the whole Driver franchise?

"How could Refractions mess up so bad? Tanner, you suck ass!"

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Drm silliness mostly. And console users are probably put off by a pretty bad demo.

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:
    It'll probably go the way of Just Cause 2 and Two Worlds II, both fantastic games but being the successor to something pretty shoddy means terrible sales. I'm betting most people wait for a big price drop on it.

JC2 sold 2.5 million. Sometimes, a sequel can rise above its predecessors.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Is that overall figures because I bet alot of people picked it up during the sales. I know many here did, with the steam sales.

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Wow did this come out of nowhere. I tried the demo today and it really seems like it could be a TON of fun, and the reviews have been very positive. But I can't afford a $60 game right now and if the past year has taught me anything it's that buying a new release for full price is sillyness. Because it'll be like half off in two weeks.

• Options
    LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    I was ready to write this game off for the shift mechanic, but the reviews got me to try the demo, and I think the demo has me sold.

The use of the shift mechanic is more than an excuse to switch cars without going on foot. Races where you have to come in first and second? So, so cool. There are also particular things you have to do with a set vehicle, so you can't just insist on shifting to a supercar, wrecking it, and re-shifting.

On the demo at least, the voice acting and script seem really solid. I'm very excited to get the full game.

• Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    This game is so much fun! I just cleared chapter five, I think I must have been playing for about seven or eight hours by now. So much to do, so easy to do it. Shifting into things is awesome.

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    This game is super good. Thank you, Driver people, for not making Driver Parallel Lines 2: The Game That Made Zilo Kill Himself.

Seriously, this is a textbook example of how to bring a franchise back from the dead. I had to force myself to stay up to 2am to beat Deus Ex Human Revolution last night after playing a bit of DSF because I know that once I sink my teeth into it I won't come up for air for weeks.

Oh, for those of you interested in multiplayer, apparently there was a printing error with the UPlay certificates in North America, so they dropped the price of the online pass you buy from inside the game to $0.

And finally, who wants a free Cadillac El Dorado in the pimpiest shade of purple?

zilo on
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    I was shaky on the whole shifting mechanic before the demo but when I played the demo it just seemed to all make sense. And was just wonderful.

And now that I've finished the game's story I can back up that up with this whole game being super awesome.

Also the ending is just holy shit.
    Partner with the kill still. Credits.

WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    How Life on Mars does it feel with its coma conceit?

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Thirith wrote:
    How Life on Mars does it feel with its coma conceit?

have you watched the Giantbomb quicklook? Because the comparison is made there.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    Is it worth watching? I wouldn't want to watch almost 40 minutes of video if it's just a two-sentence comparison.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    yeah its probably not worth watching if all you want is a comparison between Like on Mars and Giantbomb. But if you're interested in the game itself, then knock yourself out. I enjoyed it.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Man, I love the minimap at the top-center. That's just a brilliant UI tweak. My pet peeve with most games involving driving is having the minimap down in a corner so ai have to look away from the road to check my bearings.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    Oh my god the writing in this game is so good. All the incidental dialogue. All the mission dialogue. It's all quality and it's all hilarious.

The Asian Street-Racing Brothers in particular. I think the only thing they got wrong there was that they have Korean names but are apparently from Japan. Unless Jun is also a guy's name in Japanese, which I don't think it is.

• Options
    Just wrapped the game up. Definitely among my top games of 2011, which is a pleasant surprise given what I thought about this coma-malarky back when I first heard about it.

• Options
    you got it for the 360 Jintor?

• Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    I love the dialogue when Tanner is shifting around. The demo mission where you have to prove to your partner that you can possess people is priceless.

"Wait a minute, then punch me in the face as hard as you can." :D

• Options
    Oh goddamn, I just finished up chapter 4.

Shit gets extra real.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Jintor wrote:
    Oh my god the writing in this game is so good. All the incidental dialogue. All the mission dialogue. It's all quality and it's all hilarious.

The Asian Street-Racing Brothers in particular. I think the only thing they got wrong there was that they have Korean names but are apparently from Japan. Unless Jun is also a guy's name in Japanese, which I don't think it is.
    It is.

• Options
    Just finished this, absolutely amazing, definitely one of my favourite games of the year so far.

• Options
    Quit making me want this D:

• Options
    I won't say what it is but a late game ability you get is

so

fucking

worth it

Seriously, I hate Ubisoft for trying their very best to mangle their games, the actual game is so good.

• Options
    ColtaineColtaine Registered User regular
    So can any of you gents tell me roughly how long this game is? I'm thinking of picking it up when it comes out for the pc.

I am feeling unusually loquacious. Thus.

As many-handed as a cuttlefish.
  • Options
    I put in 14 hours before I was done, but I was doing a bunch of sidequests, though not all

• Options
    That sounds about right, I completed all the city missions, did a good chuck of the sidequests and did enough dares that I could get the full upgrades for the special ability bar.

I ended up using the Corvette ZR1 as my default car for a lot of the later challenges, I may end up buying a Murcielago in the post game since I have a ton of brain money saved up.

• Options
    TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    so if i buy this through amazon's download service ($40) can i hook it up through steam?

• Options
    Not Steamworks sadly. I would've picked it up from Greenmangaming otherwise.

• Options
    The ListenerThe Listener Registered User regular
    Does this game have a free-roam mode? I tried out the demo on the PS3 and it did have promise, though it didn't give me a chance to actually explore and experiment with the various cars. I am quite tempted to buy it, but perhaps not at full price as I am getting Forza 4 as well.

• Options
    Yup, whenever you're not doing missions you can either

a) go to a caryard and set a car to be your default car for challenges/free roam (you need to buy said cars with the in-game currency first, though)

b) float around and shift to whatever car you feel like. Driving around the city is pretty enjoyable, but there are also tons of tokens scattered around that unlock challenges that are nods to classic car chases.

• Options
    Just warped into the pirates car :lol:

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    This game

After having it in my Gamefly queue for far too long, they finally sent it to me. The driving feels too heavy for my tastes (I prefer the Burnout style of arcade driving), but it makes up for it with the batshit insane story/presentation/everything. Even the main menu's awesome!

I also have to give Ubi props for making it run at 60fps.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Just finished it. How can a game with such shitty driving still be so worth playing? According to Wikipedia Ubisoft was very pleased with sales, which makes me happy because we need a sequel.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    I'm glad this thread was bumped up. I'll be starting this game tonight. I remember trying the demo and not liking how the cars drove, but after hearing the Bombcast and CheapyD rave about it, and after remembering that I also didn't like the Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit demo when I tried it (and that game is one of my all time favorites), I decided to pick it up anyway. I'm sure I'll get used to the driving and the story sounds ridiculous and great.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist