As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hard Reset] - What's all this about v1.0?

124»

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    An inquisitive gamer has discovered that quick saving is possible with this game. All that's required is opening the console and binding the key.

Here's the post.

I'm still playing this with the checkpoint system, personally. But for those of you who find lack of quicksaving a dealbreaker, I thought you may find this interesting.

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    RPS put up their Wot I Think. It doesn't look good, guys.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/09/wot-i-think-hard-reset/

The major complaint is that the checkpointing is infuriating, especially given the fact the game can get very tough in certain areas.
    They know better than you where you should restart, and it’s about three battles, a long walk, and one gun augmentation before the point where you died.
    Also, it's about six to seven hours long.

Isn't most of the complaints: dis game is hard. So hard that when I drop down to easy that the game punish me for it.

Bullshit check point systems are 90s console era mechanics, which tended to be hard and pre-date the genre of fps's.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    Just played the demo and I loved it. I will definitely pay $30 for this.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Yeah, demo was fantastic. The checkpoints are a bit disappointing but quick-saving takes away all the tension in a game, so maybe it's for the best. Guess we'll just have to see.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    the demo was pretty good... I can't deal with those menus though. looking good at the cost of usability is everything interface designers are supposed to be against. They could have made them pretty without all the usability problems.

• Options
    Yeah, demo was fantastic. The checkpoints are a bit disappointing but quick-saving takes away all the tension in a game, so maybe it's for the best. Guess we'll just have to see.

You can bind a quicksave in the console.

• Options
    Sorry for the follow up post but this is pretty cool post from the Steam forums.

The games not even out yet and these guys are paying attention to feedback and making changes.

Can't beat that with a stick.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Sorry for the follow up post but this is pretty cool post from the Steam forums.

The games not even out yet and these guys are paying attention to feedback and making changes.

Can't beat that with a stick.

User definable FOV in the options? These guys know how to treat PC gamers right.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Fast menu option? Thank Christ.

I mean, I like the look of the menu screen, but it takes goddamn ages to do anything in it.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Dude, this game is going to be awesome. It's been a while since I thoroughly enjoyed shooting things this much. Getting this as soon as my paycheck arrives.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Installing!

I'm gonna smash robots! I can't wait!

• Options
    Things I have learned from Hard Reset:

-Every problem you can run into in life can be solved by shooting the nearest explosive thing.
    -Most things are explosive, so really you can just shoot any old thing and it will all probably solve itself.
    -In the unlikely event that blowing things up didn't solve your problem, walk over to the nearest forklift and turn it on.
    -Don't worry about driving or anything, the forklift knows all and does all. The forklift is the Will of the Cosmos.
    -It is a statistical impossibility for any problem to persist beyond performing these two actions. Wait it out for a bit. Stuff's probably still exploding, anyway.

I fucking love this game.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I keep hearing it's like a classic 90's shooter, and that it's like Serious Sam. The two are not all that alike to me, so which is it? Classic 90's stuff to me is more like id games, DN3D, Blood, etc, where Serious Sam has elements of those games but is a bit of a different beast.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    The demo is a good indication of the full game tbh. Felt like the old id games but coupled with serious Sam's back pedalling, although the old id stuff also had that. Yeah, I'm not much help :lol:

• Options
    It's more like Quake 2/Doom II. I find myself in a more aggressive stance than doing a lot of back pedaling. Positioning and dodging are really important.

Most of the interactivity in a level is SHIT BLOWS UP, and really it's pretty cool. You'll be looking for switches to throw and hidden goodies a lot. The game runs really well, the benchmark in the demo will give you a pretty good idea of what to expect in the full game.

The upgrade system is paced differently in the main game than it is in the demo. You won't be upgrading that much that soon. It offers a bunch of interesting choices and the weapons and abilities have a pretty cool impact on the gameplay.

• Options
    So I went to go get a bowl of cereal, right? Poured out a bowl of raisin bran, but only had half a bowl's worth of milk. Terrible! So I notice the red cap on the milk bottle and I shoot it and it explodes. And that caused my fridge to explode. And that blew a hole into a secret room that I didn't even know my house had and it had some nano in it. Upgraded my toaster to shoot out a mine that shoots out smaller mines that shoot out lasers. It was pretty sweet. Didn't help me much on the milk front, though. So I walk into my living room and find the forklift (it's always been there) and turn it on.

And then there was milk.

• Options
    Running around with the shotgun set up on the boolit gun and rail gun set up on the zap gun is making me all misty eyed and shit.

It does my old man heart good, I tell you.

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    I'm honestly kinda scared to walk around these levels. Not talking about the killer buzzsaw robots, I mean the fact that if something doesn't have a DANGER HIGH VOLTAGE sign on it, it has a DANGER HIGH EXPLOSIVES sign.

Seriously though, I'm loving this so far. Guns that turn into other guns, no sissy cover, just SHOOT EVERYTHING. It's refreshing to play a game that needs neither a reload button nor a crouch button.

• Options
    Just finished my first play-through on Normal difficulty. Holy shit what a ride. I clocked 7.7 hours in-game according to Steam, but you know what? Every second of it rocked my fucking face off. I totally prefer that to something that overstays its welcome or just goes off the rails. And this baby has some replay value, especially if you are into chasing friends on scoreboards. Not to mention the totally rad EX mode that opens up after you finish a game. It's basically a newgame+, where you start a new game and choose a difficulty but keep all your mods from the previous game.

I'm thinking that this game is my surprise hit of 2011.

• Options
    I finished it earlier today as well. 5.2 hours for me. The ending really does kind of come out of nowhere. It's weird because there's what feels to be an end boss and a wrap to the story (insofar as you can divine what's actually going on with the story) about halfway through the game, but it just keeps going. And then at the end, it feels like it's about to start into a climactic sequence and it just boots you to credits. It's weird.

Still a completely rad explosion simulator, though. I'll definitely be replaying through it.

• Options
    thepizzaelementalthepizzaelemental Registered User regular
    M_W wrote:
    Hard Reset is a new old-school FPS from Polish developers, Flying Wild Hog, the combination of members from CD Projekt RED, People Can Fly, and City Interactive. It takes place in a cyber-punk setting and has you fighting off hostile robots. Your arsenal consists of two transforming weapons that give you a much larger arsenal than you would expect. This paired with destructible environments and loads of enemies is sure to make for an excellent old-school shooting experience.

The mad geniuses behind Painkiller and Bulletstorm have helped make another FPS? And they're apparently jamming it full of glowy gauges and explosions? WHY DID I NOT KNOW OF THIS BEFORE?

MH3: B77AE9 - Natou
  • Options
    Make sure you upgrade your hormone stuff and max out the rocket launcher. Then, as you take damage, prepare to enter the ridiculous zone where you run faster than your laser guided rockets.

• Options
    New patch out for this today.

Some highlights include some popular requested changes;
    Sprint (shortly) even while still recharging - Sprinting is now possible at any moment - you don't have to wait till the sprint bar fills up.
    Sprint will now charge 20% faster than before.
    Disable sprint effects - You are now able to disable Motion Blur and Fov widening while in sprint. Tick the appropriate box in Game options menu.
    Disable Weapon Cool-down period - Weapon cooldowns are disabled now. You can change weapon modes while the weapon is on cooldown.
    Improved the time between switching between N.R.G. Weapon adn CLN Firearm.
    Single Switch-Weapon Button - the F key will now switch between weapons.

Personally those aren't that big of a deal to me, I thought a lot of that was interesting mechanics and the sprint effect didn't bother me. But being able to really leverage the arsenal isn't a bad thing at all in my book. Now I'm really going to be able to destroy the holy living fuck out of some robots.

• Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Disable Weapon Cool-down period - Weapon cooldowns are disabled now. You can change weapon modes while the weapon is on cooldown.
    Improved the time between switching between N.R.G. Weapon adn CLN Firearm.
    Single Switch-Weapon Button - the F key will now switch between weapons.

Wow, these are awesome changes. I might have to restart the game to take advantage of them all the way through. That opens up so many options.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    The weapon cool-down change is fantastic. That was by far the most annoying part of the demo for me. Still going to wait for a sale, but that's a change that has me really anxious for one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh thank god. Outside of the F key thing, every single one of those changes was something I actively wanted as I was playing through the game. And only now that I think about having a single weapon switch key do I realize that I wanted that, too.

• Options
    IdolNinjaIdolNinja Registered User regular
    Really great to see a studio listening to their fans and patching these things post release. :^:

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I played the demo last night.

Seemed pretty awesome.

I might get it.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Make sure you upgrade your hormone stuff and max out the rocket launcher. Then, as you take damage, prepare to enter the ridiculous zone where you run faster than your laser guided rockets.
    Are you seriously telling me that you can get to doomguy speeds in this game? Goddamnit, why cant I run this game! I want it!

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Well, if it's a new PC that you need, I recommend you stop by the computer build thread--they just posted a link to a gaming-worthy rig that goes for just $519. Granted, you'd have to put it together, as you'd be ordering it piece by piece, but it's a good start.

It's worth mentioning that I have the exact same graphics card that the article recommends--a Radeon 6870--and it works marvelously. I've been running Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 at max settings with DirectX11 enabled and all that jazz.

Fake Edit: In fact, here's the link to that article: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-overclock-graphics-card,3032.html

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    heenato wrote:
    Drake wrote:
    Are you seriously telling me that you can get to doomguy speeds in this game? Goddamnit, why cant I run this game! I want it!

Yeah, Doomguy speeds combined with some slow-mo. The more damage you take, the faster you move and the more stuff slows down. I think it's a pretty neat mechanic. It can really give you the edge when you need it most. Of course you can also step in front of your own rockets now too...

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Are there any tip for beating what I assume is the final boss fight? I've died like 10 times there.
    On top of the hospital, fighting the Constructor thing. I'm pretty sure I need to destroy all the legs, but between the super-accurate laser and spawning way too many gorillas, I'm just plain running out of health. I'm getting as far as blasting two legs off, but by that point it's spawning enemies AND shooting lasers at the same time, and that's just getting to be too much. I'm on normal, and I'm sure I don't have a great skillpoint selection, but that's a little late to change.

• Options
    Dartboy wrote:
    Are there any tip for beating what I assume is the final boss fight? I've died like 10 times there.
    On top of the hospital, fighting the Constructor thing. I'm pretty sure I need to destroy all the legs, but between the super-accurate laser and spawning way too many gorillas, I'm just plain running out of health. I'm getting as far as blasting two legs off, but by that point it's spawning enemies AND shooting lasers at the same time, and that's just getting to be too much. I'm on normal, and I'm sure I don't have a great skillpoint selection, but that's a little late to change.
    -The constructor is only vulnerable at all when its legs are glowing, and that happens between enemy waves. The rest of the time, you can safely ignore it.

-The laser has a set speed that it moves at. When you see it coming, start sprinting. As long as you manage to get in front of it before it hits you, you should be able to outrun it. If you get caught by it, you're mostly fucked.

-Rocket launcher for the gorillas. Don't try to splash damage them. Put a rocket right in their fucking face. They should go down in two shots or so. Maybe less, depending on who gets caught in the cluster missiles.

-The real problem for me, like in the rest of the game, were the stupid cyborg fuckers. Smart gun is what you want for those guys. Get a crate or something between you so that they can't shoot you, then let loose with the smart gun. It should only take a couple shots to kill one.

-Rocket gorillas are a problem too, and you can mostly take them on the same way, but the splash damage from the rockets will get you no matter what you're hiding behind. If you want to take them on directly, you can avoid some of their attacks with good circle strafing, but I never worked out a good system for avoiding some of their other, more random attacks. EMP's from the shotgun and the time slowing thing from the mortar can help keep it immobilized.

-Other than that, just pay attention to when you need to heal. Prioritize health that drops from enemies because it'll evaporate.

• Options
    Next patch will add a Survival Mode.

I can't wait to see it.

I'm still playing this here and there, between sessions with other games and I'm still really blown away by the pace of the action. Having everything unlocked in the Newgame+ really makes for some good times.

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Loving the support they're giving it.

• Options
    Survival Mode is out. You play against waves and earn a Nano Upgrade after each wave. You get a few seconds between waves to upgrade and there are two levels to play on; Entrance Hall and Landing Pad. It's good times and fits the style of the game quite well.

• Options
    Oh damn! Gonna have to get back on this game--forgot about it for a while.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I wish the survival mode had Steam Leaderboard support. Seems like a no-brainer for that kind of addition. Hopefully it'll get patched in. Chasing scores would make this mode a bit more fun. Whatever though, it's still fun and I'm not going to complain about any free content additions.

These guys made a pretty kick ass game before the patching and stuff. Their support after release has been great stuff.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Rise from your gwaaave, Hard Reset thread! Redux is coming to XB1, PS4, and Steam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t13GKrC0Nc8

Umm.. they added a Katana?!

• Options
    Crossing my fingers for a native linux build. They did that for Shadow Warrior and it's pretty great.