As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Geeks at large (please help me find things to see in London)

eobeteobet 8-bit childhoodSwedenRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I lived as a student in London for two years, basically chained to my desk, and now two of my friends from Sweden are coming to visit, and apart from Forbidden Planet, I have no idea what geek things to show them!

Help, please!

Of course, we'll see stuff like what's along the Thames, the museums, a West End show, Oxford/Picadilly/Soho/Covent Garden shopping, etc etc. but that's like a culture + shopping overdose!

I need something to break it off with, and the Namco Station by the London Eye seems to be aimed squarely at kids, while I read that the Funland in Trocadero was five floors of stuff, but when I got there all I saw was three, very old and battered, sad looking arcade games...

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
Jacobkosh on

• Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    London Zoo?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    moved to H/A

• Options
    dukederekdukederek Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Seriously, the Science Museum. My girlfriend and I went to London a couple of months ago for a day trip to go see "The Museums". We spent 7 hours in the Science Museum and then went home (happy).

EDIT: sorry, misread your post, I see you're already planning on doing the museums so consider my advice more of a reminder not to forget the science museum :-)

dukederek on
  • Options
    Pure DinPure Din Boston-areaRegistered User regular
    Admittedly I was already a big fan, but I had a lot of fun at the Sherlock Holmes Museum. They set everything up just like in the books, and you can play around with the props and the staff there will lend you costumes and take photos of you acting like the characters or just being silly.

• Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    You need to absorb some real culture!

Look up a halfway decent snooker parlor. Somewhere rough enough that it won't break the bank, but nice enough you won't get mugged. Now have a couple pints, put a few cheap bets on the ponies, and see if anyone will play a few games of snooker (pool) or darts for a few quid. Suck at snooker and darts? Make'em give you a great big handicap so you can make a game of it. And lose, who cares?

Grab a taxi and ask the driver where he actually goes when he wants dinner and a pint, then go there!

Find a couple of local girls at the pub and ask them to show you and your Swedish friends a classic British good time. When they refuse find another pair and try again!

Visit a chippy of course, but more importantly find some great tikka masala.

Say terrible yhings about the French, loudly!

"More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the tips!

We've seen mixed reviews of the Science Museum online, but everyone is raving about the Natural History Museum, so we're definitely going to see that.

I've read about a rainforest exhibit that was on at the zoo, but I think I'm alone at wanting to see that.

Is there a shop equivalent for gadgets like Forbidden Planet is for comic books? And I mean something larger than those Red 5 shops...

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    British Museum.

3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    If you're in to WW2 History, the Cabinet War Rooms and (for more general war) The Imperial War Museum are cool.

:so_raven:
  • Options
    LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    http://www.doctorwhoexperience.com/venueinfo/ Experience. Can't believe no-one has suggested that!

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    The doctor who experience is great!
    There's also things like the London Bridge Experience, which is like the London Dungeon, only slightly cheaper with shorter queues and about 100 yards down the road, and The Clink museum, which isn't free but I've heard some alright things.
    Platform 9 3/4 is still on Kings Cross if you're into that.

Borough Market on a saturday morning is good for delicious foods. Camden Market on a saturday all day is generally great. Brick Lane Market is over-rated in my opinion. I like Greenwich Market on a sunday, and then you can go stand on the meridian line and take nerdy photos.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I thought the Doctor Who experience was mainly for kids?

There's a Hyper Japan expo thing going on as well, that I queued for last year, but it was almost all 12-14 year olds dressed as Naturo characters so for that and various other reasons we went home... this year, though, I see that they have robotics there, so we might actually go!

We saw an advert on a bus for some London Dungeon 5D ride that I haven't had a chance to search for reviews of yet... "5D" sounds like stupid marketing talk, though...

eobet on
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    The Doctor Who exhibit is a bit for kids (since it's a kids show) but if you're a fan of the show, it's cool to see all the props and the full scale replica of the tenth and eleventh Doctor's tardis. The whole thing starts with a "you're in the middle of an adventure, help save the doctor!" thing.

I enjoyed my trip to the dungeons, but i went before the new show do I can't say if it's any good.

Oh, I'm not sure if it's running at the moment, but there's also a Ghost Tour, which is a tour bus that apparently concentrates on the more haunted areas of London. Not been on it yet, but I've been told it's quite fun.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Depends how long they're here for?

I'd also like to take a moment to point knowingly at the British Museum. Yes, I know you said you were going. But it's *huge*. You could spend days in there.