As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[THE DARK KNIGHT RISES]

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Quid wrote:
    emnmnme wrote:
    What is Bane's motivation? Ras' wants to destroy any country that gets too powerful. Joker wants to cause chaos just because. Bane wants to ... rob banks? What's Bane's obsession?

I believe Bane's a highly intelligent criminal simply bent on taking Batman down.

Bane = Drago
    Batman = Rocky
    ?

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    That's really good. Though Batman here would be both Apollo Creed and Rocky.

Bane = Drago
    Batman = Rocky
    Batman's spine = Apollo Creed

• toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    emnmnme wrote:
    What is Bane's motivation? Ras' wants to destroy any country that gets too powerful. Joker wants to cause chaos just because. Bane wants to ... rob banks? What's Bane's obsession?

This may be debunked, but my understanding from earlier plot rumors:
    Bane has some connection to the League of Shadows, possibly in the role Bruce was offered in the first movie but turned down. So from there I would guess he's there to finish the job (destroy Gotham) and take down Batman / avenge Ra's al Ghul.

That's 100% rumor, grain of salt etc etc. What is confirmed is there's a Ra's al Ghul flashback (a young Ra's al Ghul has been cast)

ed: source
    According to The Hollywood Reporter’s Heat Vision blog, Pence (The Social Network ) has been cast the younger Ra’s Al Ghul and will show up in flashback sequences in the film. This news would seemingly confirm rampant speculation and words from Batman Begins and The Dark Knight actor Gary Oldman who plays Commissioner Jim Gordan in the series, that the film ties up loose ends and brings the trilogy back around to where it all began.

toxk_02 on
    OTP.jpg
  • Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Bane's also more of a Clubber Lang character. He just uses steroids like Drago.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Now that I think about it, what is the real point of Bane having a mask in the movie?

I guess it makes him look special. That promo shot, well, most people wouldn't care without the mask. They'd just be like "What's puffed-up Tom Hardy doing in Batman? Is he a bad guy? I don't know."

But...performance-wise. That mask can't be easy to act in. It looks very...odd with the headstrap across the back of the skull. I can't tell if it would effectively protect one's head or not. What is it for?

I'm just wondering if maybe Hardy would look as good, or better, if we could have his full face without the mask at all.

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Now that I think about it, what is the real point of Bane having a mask in the movie?

I guess it makes him look special. That promo shot, well, most people wouldn't care without the mask. They'd just be like "What's puffed-up Tom Hardy doing in Batman? Is he a bad guy? I don't know."

But...performance-wise. That mask can't be easy to act in. It looks very...odd with the headstrap across the back of the skull. I can't tell if it would effectively protect one's head or not. What is it for?

I'm just wondering if maybe Hardy would look as good, or better, if we could have his full face without the mask at all.

Maybe they're playing up Bane's Venom addiction, like he needs a constant intake of it just to function, and he gets it through the mask? Sort of like the oxygen tanks people carry around.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular

It's to break you!
    http://m0vie.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/bane-breaks-batman-497pg21.jpg

• DavosDavos Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wank wrote:
    That was Bane climbing out of a well, right? And doing prison push-ups?

Wayne was doing pushups (maybe recovery process after getting his back broken?), Bane was climbing out of the well. Probably.

And here's Batman preparing to get his ass kicked:

5952141919_1e0b9e140d_o.jpg

Davos on
  • WankWank Registered User regular
    I'm betting we see plenty of Tom Hardy's gorgeous face before the mask-thing goes on for a climactic fight scene

• toxk_02toxk_02 Registered User regular
    I would say venom. No back-apparatus, no tubes going into his arms, then venom through the mask somehow.

wksiz8.jpg

OTP.jpg
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's a breathing apparatus. Like something happened to his face. Who knows. I think it would make him a lot more intimidating and menacing if it's on for the entire movie, even maybe altering his speech a little bit.

Yeah those look like tubes connecting into his mouth. Almost looks like teeth, or little metal hands. Amazing design.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    looks like a skeletal mouth, which is probably exactly what they were going for.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Nah, that's actually a prescription:
    Face%20mask3.jpg

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYBqhOEdRQ

You know, in hindsight, the Dark Knight trailer hasn't aged well.

"Bruce, I want you to meet Harvey Dent."
    "Rachel has told me everything about you."
    "Well, in that case, I gotta kill you both."
    "..."

• EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    Between that old fan poster that imagined David Tennant as the Riddler and the latest Arkham City trailer, I could definitely see the Riddler as a valid villain sufficiently different from Joker. I don't know how well he'd work as the main antagonist, though.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Davos wrote:
    And here's Batman preparing to get his ass kicked:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6009/5952141919_1e0b9e140d_o.jpg

This will be the high point of the movie for me.

Quid on
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Davos wrote:
    Yeah those look like tubes connecting into his mouth. Almost looks like teeth, or little metal hands. Amazing design.

Really? I think it looks kinda crappy.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dram wrote:
    Davos wrote:

Really? I think it looks kinda crappy.

I think it's a pretty awesome industrial design, definitely fits the dark theme of the entire series.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Davos wrote:
    Wank wrote:
    That was Bane climbing out of a well, right? And doing prison push-ups?

Wayne was doing pushups (maybe recovery process after getting his back broken?), Bane was climbing out of the well. Probably.

I thought that pushup scene was from Batman Begins where he's in that prison.

As just something I've noticed, and from the small clips we've seen, The Dark Knight Rises looks incredibly dark (even for this series) and foreboding.

• Suzuka GreySuzuka Grey Registered User regular
    Maybe after this series ends will they move on to Batman Beyond finally?

They'll probably reboot it.

Like the completely unnecessary Spider Man reboot.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Warners/DC already has groundwork laid for a re-boot that will start with a Justice League film, kind of like what Marvel is doing with The Avengers, but backwards.

Though Zack Snyder has already said that his Superman project won't tie into it, and Warner has said nothing about whether the current Green Lantern continuity has a place at the table either.

I would expect a brighter, shinier, frothy Justice League when/if it ever shows up.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Man, I was kinda hoping for Mr. Freeze. Not so fantastic as the animated series, but with the same tragic roots. Then again, we'll probably never see his face on film again thanks to Schumacher.

That would be as cold as ice
    You know, in hindsight, the Dark Knight trailer hasn't aged well.

"Bruce, I want you to meet Harvey Dent."
    "Rachel has told me everything about you."
    "Well, in that case, I gotta kill you both."
    "..."

I don't agree

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    So is there a transcription of the trailer somewhere? Cause I don't understand a word of what Gary Oldman is saying ...

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote:
    So is there a transcription of the trailer somewhere? Cause I don't understand a word of what Gary Oldman is saying ...

He says:

"We were in this together. And then you were gone... And now this evil rises. The Batman has to come back."

Then Bruce (off-screen) says: "What if he doesn't exist anymore..."

Gordon replies with "He must... He must..."

• mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    Now that youve pointed out that the Bane mask is like a skull mouth, i can't unsee it and it is goddamn genious.

I absolutely love how Nolan has managed to create designs that are the real-world counterpart to the insane spandex heroes and villians. Joker's huge smile actually being really messed up scars, two face's split suit just being the result of the acid and just leaving it, and now this.

Can not WAIT to see what he does to Catwoman.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
    mxmarks wrote:
    Can not WAIT to see what he does to Catwoman.

Word from the set is that the Catwoman suit is very similar to the Darwyn Cooke version of the suit, i.e., the new "black one-piece with practical boots-and-goggles" look, not the old, "purple cosplay fetish gear" look.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Can someone please put in here exactly what gordon is saying in that trailer? hes mumblilng so much i cant make it out even with the sound all the way up.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    azith28 wrote:
    Can someone please put in here exactly what gordon is saying in that trailer? hes mumblilng so much i cant make it out even with the sound all the way up.

Look all of three post above yours.

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    (rumored) Liam Neeson - Ra's Al Ghul

what

Gahhhhh. I'm not really fond of Neeson. Even more emotionless than Nicolas Cage.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:

Bane is fascinated by Gotham City and The Batman but unfortunately for Batman Bane has lived basically his entire life in the prison system becoming a criminal mastermind in the process. Even more unfortunate for Bats is that Bane ends up being the test subject for this drug that makes you impossibly strong.

Bane then decides that if he can take over a whole prison which is run by basically fear he will now take over Gotham City because the only thing that keeps it together is fear of The Batman.

So his whole deal is he knows he can beat Batman and will do so. Oh something about dreams about a bat or something too.

steam_sig.png
    Igort wrote:
    TheBigEasy wrote:

He says:

"We were in this together. And then you were gone... And now this evil rises. The Batman has to come back."

Then Bruce (off-screen) says: "What if he doesn't exist anymore..."

Gordon replies with "He must... He must..."

Thanks. I didn't get a word of this when watching the trailer. Can't wait for a proper theatrical trailer for this ... and for the movie.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    What Gordon is really saying is "I want to see Batman Returns. Can you pick it up from Blockbuster?"

Also, I really hope they use something like the Darwyn Cooke Catwoman. I love that costume design.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Man...my previous research into Bane makes this plot possibly a bit predictable. But its also going to be awesome.

I didnt even realize that wasnt Bruce climbing out of the well, and it may very well not be him doing pushups. Paralleling Bane with Batman by showing scenes that make us assume Bruce, but its actually Bane in the trailer is epic.

I normally wouldnt be too convinced someone could tell the entire Batman-Bane story in one movie, but I just watched The Dark Knight recently and realized that he pretty much snuck two films in there and tied them together seamlessly, so Im pretty sure we can get a good Batman gets broken, Batman comes back story line.

I wonder if JGL will play an Azreal esque role?

Also, I wonder if Nolan will "end" the series. Like, I can see him doing something the comics couldnt, or other movies wouldnt, and actually play it to the point where Bruce hangs up the cowl. If he truly intends to stop after 3, theres no reason he couldnt.

616610-1.png
    Disrupter wrote:
    Also, I wonder if Nolan will "end" the series. Like, I can see him doing something the comics couldnt, or other movies wouldnt, and actually play it to the point where Bruce hangs up the cowl. If he truly intends to stop after 3, theres no reason he couldnt.

Except maybe Warner Brothers won't let him, cause they want to reboot the franchise later. Then again, that might be exactly the reason they might let him do it, because they'll reboot anyway ...

Damn I hate this whole rebooting thing ... except when it's awesome.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Yeah, WB letting him would be because they wouldnt want to attempt to continue HIS batman without him. Future batman movies would have to be their own reboot. Someone else taking up from where Nolan/Bale etc leave off would be a bit of a disaster I think. So if you would need to reboot it anyway, why not let it actually end. It would be interesting because its rare you ever get to have closure for superheros.

616610-1.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Alegis wrote:
    (rumored) Liam Neeson - Ra's Al Ghul

what

Gahhhhh. I'm not really fond of Neeson. Even more emotionless than Nicolas Cage.

This opinion is wrong.

Neeson is great. If you have not seen the version of Les Miserables with he and Geoffrey Rush, you are missing out. Neeson is one of my favorite actors ever. Hell, I even liked him in Phantom Menace, and that moving was fucking terrible.

• RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I'm here to suggest that Liam Neeson is a great man and actor and am somewhat saddened that others would assume he is nearly as bad as Nicholas Cage.