As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[THE DARK KNIGHT RISES]

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote:
    Football field was the weakest part of the trailer. Banes line was great and Hathaways lines were great too

The football field collapsing looked kindof cheesy, for some reason. I hope that isn't the finished shot.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    To me, the effect looked pretty unfinished. The ground where the field collapsed looked like it lacked definition. I think it will probably look much better in subsequent trailers or the final film.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I think it would be amazing if there was never a stadium in the final film, and it's just something that came out of nowhere.

• HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    wandering wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:
    Face it, people won't be able to understand the dialogue anyway because of the jackass teenagers in the back talking loudly about who will bang catwoman the hardest.
    Well at least that's preferable to hearing people talk about how Batman's love interest doesn't live up to their standards of beauty.

Maggie Gyllenhaal is the least attractive leading actress working in hollywood today, by most accounts. Nolan's choice of lighting and camera angles made her look pretty bad in certain scenes and that's probably the only reason it was ever brought up back when TDK came out.

edit: assuming that's what you were referring to

Heisenberg on
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    [
    Heisenberg wrote:
    wandering wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:
    Face it, people won't be able to understand the dialogue anyway because of the jackass teenagers in the back talking loudly about who will bang catwoman the hardest.
    Well at least that's preferable to hearing people talk about how Batman's love interest doesn't live up to their standards of beauty.

Maggie Gyllenhaal is the least attractive leading actress working in hollywood today, by most accounts. Nolan's choice of lighting and camera angles made her look pretty bad in certain scenes and that's probably the only reason it was ever brought up back when TDK came out.

Given the reaction to Anne Hathaway, I doubt it. Besides, Maggie acted the shit out of that role so who even cares if she wasn't given sexy lighting?

edited December 2011
    Cervetus wrote:
    [
    Heisenberg wrote:
    wandering wrote:
    Tomanta wrote:

Given the reaction to Anne Hathaway, I doubt it. Besides, Maggie acted the shit out of that role so who even cares if she wasn't given sexy lighting?

I never cared, but a lot of people on the internet bitched that Maggie wasn't hot enough to be in the movie when it came out.

Heisenberg on
    "By most accounts"? Sure, if all you read is internet message boards. Good grief. Get that shit out of here.

The manchildren who claim that Anne Hathaway isn't attractive enough for them make me ashamed of my gender.

"get that shit out of here" haha internet tough guy over here

Man, if I were trying to be an internet tough guy, I'd be threatening you or something. I'm just expressing disgust with your attitude.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Anne Hathaway is pretty damn hot, not because of how she looks while not moving but because her motions and mimic are absolutely enchanting.
    Oh and those eeeeeyyyyyeeeesss

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    I think both Maggie Gyllenhaal and Anne Hathaway are very beautiful women. Does it matter either way? Nope.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    I think it would be amazing if there was never a stadium in the final film, and it's just something that came out of nowhere.

In the ultimate bait and switch, turns out what really happens is explosions cause the surrounding stadium to collapse, but the actual football field remains intact.

I had a crush on Maggy Gyllenhaal in that one movie with....Will Farrel?
    Was it "Stranger than Fiction"?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    The manchildren who claim that Anne Hathaway isn't attractive enough for them make me ashamed of my gender.

Agreed.

Also, it has absolutely nothing to do with their acting skills so I don't get why it even matters. Let's not turn this into some ridiculous neckbeard debate.

Cue person talking about how it does matter because Bruce Wayne would never data "someone like that" in 5, 4, 3, 2...

• IriahIriah Registered User regular
    What I find wrong with the football scene is that the guy running just stops and turns around to have a peek. How does he know to stop? Why doesn't he stop when he's in the parking lot?

Because he reached the endzone. Which is typically where a football player stops with the ball in a football game.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    I had a crush on Maggy Gyllenhaal in that one movie with....Will Farrel?
    Was it "Stranger than Fiction"?

Yes. She's an everygirl. Those are her roles, she does them well. Guess what Rachel was?

Catwoman is supposed to be rich herself, she steals for the thrill, not for the money.

And Hathaway is fine, and every time we have this fucking debate it is even more retarded than the last time. Anyone who doesn't at least find her halfway attractive probably needs to invest in some head surgery to remove it from their asshole, maybe get a free shave of that neckbeard along the way.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • IriahIriah Registered User regular
    Because he reached the endzone. Which is typically where a football player stops with the ball in a football game.

huh. so he does! though I hadn't realised, it's still weird.

• WankWank Registered User regular
    Someone was trying to tackle him in that scene. Doesn't look like any of the players knew till the ground came out from them.

Yeah this, I felt like that was kind of dumb though

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Well stadiums are loud as hell, it looks goofy to me because I don't understand how it empties out like that. How deep were the bombs? Is there a massive catacomb underneath the stadium? I mean, I know that lots of stadiums have tunnels and stuff, but this looks a bit much. I'm assuming it'll look properly awesome on the day, though.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, the problem is folks lump Hathaway and Maggie together. Look, its perfectly OK to really find Maggie unattractive. She isn't really pretty at all, even for every day standards. Shes not ugly but shes well below the typical standard for an actress. Hathaway on the other hand? Shes not the hottest girl in hollywood, but she is absolutely up to the standard. Anyone who watches that trailer and doesnt find her attractive in both the scenes she is in, is crazy or gay.

People need to stop lumping hathaway and maggie together, one is actually a bit unattractive. Not that it remotely ruined the movie for me. The only unattractive lady that ruins stuff for me is Sarah Jessica Parker. And luckily nothing shes ever done is something id enjoy anything. But still that lady needs to stay away from my line of sight.

And the football scene is sort of lame for a ton of reasons. But the player clearly doesn't know what has happened and is turning around simply because he scored. That is kind of dumb because usually players look up at the big screen when they run to see if anyone is behind them (not always but it does happen, especially on a kick retrun).

At first I thought it was dumb that just the players were killed. I mean why not kill 50K people instead of 20? But then, if this ties into an Occupy theme, and Bane is going after the elite, it might make sense to eliminate just the players. Hell maybe Bane is trying to kill batman and figures a member of the football team would have the resources and athletism to be batman, so lets take them out in case.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    Well stadiums are load as hell, it looks goofy to me because I don't understand how it empties out like that. How deep were the bombs? Is there a massive catacomb underneath the stadium? I mean, I know that lots of stadiums have tunnels and stuff, but this looks a bit much. I'm assuming it'll look properly awesome on the day, though.

I was actually wondering if the caved-in football field will be Bane's HQ. It kind of looks like there's a structure underneath the field. Maybe the cave in is the big reveal of Bane's gulag.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I get the impression that Bane knows Bruce Wayne is Batman, especially if he's part of the League of Shadows.

• UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    I was actually talking about the football scene with my friend, and he raised the pretty good point of the effect losing two sports teams instantly to terrorism would have on people.

I know it sounds shallow, but many people would be devastated. We go to sports to kick back and not worry about stuff, and that feeling would be obliterated after that. For one, that season and perhaps more in the future would be cancelled. Secondly, even in the future, the event would resonate for quite a while.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I was actually talking about the football scene with my friend, and he raised the pretty good point of the effect losing two sports teams instantly to terrorism would have on people.

I know it sounds shallow, but many people would be devastated. We go to sports to kick back and not worry about stuff, and that feeling would be obliterated after that. For one, that season and perhaps more in the future would be cancelled. Secondly, even in the future, the event would resonate for quite a while.

Oh yeah, in American culture that'd be a horrific blow to the national moral. I hadn't thought of that.

Lh96QHG.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Yeah but why not take out the whole staidium? Why JUST take out the players? Unless it is part of some class struggle. (either in a "hey look at how miserable you normal people are without us higher class folks IE: the players" or a "in your face upper class folks you are dead now") Taking out the teams AND 50K+ would be much more impactful. So, tying it in with catwoman's speech I think the class representation of the football players may have soemthing to do with it.

616610-1.png
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    I believe Bane walks onto the field after that and makes a speech to the audience about being free from the tyranny of the oppresive rich or some such.

"A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
    edited December 2011
    Catwoman literally tells Bruce that it's an uprising against the rich upper class.
    Watch the trailer again.

This movie IS LITERALLY THE 99% vs 1%

WITH BATMAN IN IT

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    While I might consider that a spoiler (Bane blowing the field -> preaching to the crowd), it's too what I had read months previously (when it was being filmed).

This is an actual potential spoiler following on from that:
    I'd also read that he had in tow with him an atomic device. Small but particularly dirty. Which could explain why it seems he's able to take over Gotham without the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines moving in and making him give it back.

LordSolarMacharius on
    edited December 2011
    It's actually pretty funny to read "he walks back out ONTO THE FIELD" after watching the trailer.

Bane confirmed for magician?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    He leaves a bit intact.

Picture:
    uhNURh.jpg

• Dark WhiteDark White Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote:
    Ugh, the problem is folks lump Hathaway and Maggie together. Look, its perfectly OK to really find Maggie unattractive. She isn't really pretty at all, even for every day standards. Shes not ugly but shes well below the typical standard for an actress. Hathaway on the other hand? Shes not the hottest girl in hollywood, but she is absolutely up to the standard. Anyone who watches that trailer and doesnt find her attractive in both the scenes she is in, is crazy or gay.

People need to stop lumping hathaway and maggie together, one is actually a bit unattractive. Not that it remotely ruined the movie for me. The only unattractive lady that ruins stuff for me is Sarah Jessica Parker. And luckily nothing shes ever done is something id enjoy anything. But still that lady needs to stay away from my line of sight.

I know the issue from me isn't so much whether or not I find Maggie or Hathaway attractive, but more do they fit the role they play in the film.

I thought Maggie was great in TDK (both the way she looked and her performance). Nolanverse's 'Playboy' Bruce Wayne dates supermodels to portray himself in a certain way to the public, while I feel it's entirely expected for private Bruce Wayne/Batman to be in love with Maggie's character.

My tentative issue with the casting on Hathaway as Catwoman (and this is only based on other movies I've seen her in and off of trailer and stills I've seen of TDKR) is that she doesn't fit my expectation of what I imagine Selina Kyle to be; it has nothing to do with how hot she is or isn't. I can acknowledge that's just a personal issue I have with the way I perceive the character right now. I am eagerly awaiting the opportunity to see the film and have that perception changed.

jswidget.php?username=Dark%20White&numitems=8&text=title&images=small&show=top10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    I find the whole concept of a woman's level of "hotness" on some arbitrary scale informing their character in any way fairly insulting and VERY sexist.

edited December 2011
    I never quite understood how Bruce did the whole "dating supermodels to keep my playboy image intact" thing. I mean, he obviously didn't just go out with them there had to have been sex at points.
    Now how does he explain to them his completely and utterly scarred body?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    I wasn't sold on Hathaway either but seeing her in the trailer it seems she'll nail her role as Catwoman

t5qfc9.jpg
    Klyka wrote:
    I never quite understood how Bruce did the whole "dating supermodels to keep my playboy image intact" thing. I mean, he obviously didn't just go out with them there had to have been sex at points.

Batman likely doesn't have sex with them, he probably isn't in a relationship long enough for it to happen.

And yes, I call Bruce Wayne Batman because he identifies himself as such. Batman Beyonders represent.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • xraydogxraydog Registered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Klyka wrote:

Batman likely doesn't have sex with them, he probably isn't in a relationship long enough for it to happen.

And yes, I call Bruce Wayne Batman because he identifies himself as such. Batman Beyonders represent.

On a related note: one of my favorite moments in TDK is when he toasts Dent at the party then walks out and spills his glass of champagne. It's almost like he wants nothing to do with that life at all. He's Batman, Bruce is the disguise.

I think it's hinted at occasionally in cartoons and comics that his playboy lifestyle sickens him at times.

• UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I find the whole concept of a woman's level of "hotness" on some arbitrary scale informing their character in any way fairly insulting and VERY sexist.

This is Hollywood we're talking about here. An actor's physical characteristics are going to be responsible for the great majority of the roles they are offered.

It's why Matthew Mcconaughey can be cast in the role of a 30+ man-child living at home with his parents in a romantic comedy and nobody bats an eye, whereas John C Reilly plays the same exact role and is a buffoon, and another even less attractive actor plays the same role and is a disturbing serial murderer.

It's also why John C Reilly wasn't the lead in Sahara, or Jodie Foster's charmingly religious love interest in Contact, or wooing Kate Hudson in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

EDIT:
    bowen wrote:
    I think it's hinted at occasionally in cartoons and comics that his playboy lifestyle sickens him at times.

Doesn't Bruce Wayne not actually drink or use any such substances in the comics? You know, so he's always on his toes and ready to turn into ass-kicking mode at a moment's notice?

Ultimanecat on
    SteamID : same as my PA forum name