As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Folk fingerstyle guitar songs

JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Can anyone recommend some folky style youtube vids of fingerstyle acoustic guitar? The less complex the better.

I've been asked to fill in for a friends theatre production as their guitarist has fallen sick, according to them the music isnt the focus so it just needs to be background noise but I know very little in that particular style.

Jeedan on

• Options
    rocketshipreadyrocketshipready Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    If you don't need specific songs, I'd just write your own. It's really easy, just get a fingerpicking pattern you like (<bass note>-3-4-2 <bass note>-3-4-1 is a common, nice-sounding one), start on your favorite chord, have a descending bass note, and do the standard I IV V progression (throw in some hammer-ons on the 2nd and 4ths, and maybe a little melody on the treble strings if you're feeling up to it). That's pretty much the formula for every acoustic Iron and Wine song (of which there are plenty of helpful examples on Youtube). You can also look up videos describing Carter picking. It's a great, full-sounding style for solo acoustic guitar, and is pretty easy to pick up.

If they're looking for specific traditional folk songs, you might want to pick up the "Shady Grove" songbook. It has a bunch of really great guitar parts from the Jerry Garcia/David Grisman album of the same name

rocketshipready on