As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Alphas] It's like Heroes but a lot better, seriously.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if he'd brought along Sir Burns-A-Lot, injected him with something that made him sweat, and burned the place down. It could become his thing. Like in Marvel, after the first time he did it, people would often suggest to Sentry that he throw the problem of the month into the sun.

• Options
    stillevostillevo Registered User new member
    I had to laugh at the thread title. This show is nowhere close to as good as Heroes. As bad as Heroes got in S3, I would still put that season over this show. I enjoy some of the episodes, but for the most part it's boring and unimaginative. They need to kill Gary off immediately.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    stillevo wrote: »
    I had to laugh at the thread title. This show is nowhere close to as good as Heroes. As bad as Heroes got in S3, I would still put that season over this show. I enjoy some of the episodes, but for the most part it's boring and unimaginative. They need to kill Gary off immediately.

Wow.

Edit: Nice first post by the way. Wanna kill a puppy while you're at it?

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    yeah...where's the "completely disagree" with @stillevo button?

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular

That's cute.

Trolling is fun for the uninitiated, isn't it?

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I noticed that on Parish seems to be focusing mostly on North America and Europe. On his map, almost nothing in Asia, Australia, South America, or Africa are flagged. It's also interesting how the devices he's using are manufactured in China. I wonder if that means anything. Maybe Parish is being backed by foreign interests with other goals in mind. They haven't really dealt with Alphas that are in other countries yet. It would be interesting if Alphas have already secretly taken over some foreign governments.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    I noticed that on Parish seems to be focusing mostly on North America and Europe. On his map, almost nothing in Asia, Australia, South America, or Africa are flagged. It's also interesting how the devices he's using are manufactured in China. I wonder if that means anything. Maybe Parish is being backed by foreign interests with other goals in mind. They haven't really dealt with Alphas that are in other countries yet. It would be interesting if Alphas have already secretly taken over some foreign governments.

alternately, it might be that Parish, an immortal American who has fought in nearly every major American war, is blatantly Western-centric in his thinking and just doesn't regard those other places as notable to his plans

• Options
    conquer america and europe and you conquer "the world"

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Alternately, the infrastructure needed to carry out the attack isn't great outside of the western world and the populations are more spread out.

• Options
    Pony wrote: »

alternately, it might be that Parish, an immortal American who has fought in nearly every major American war, is blatantly Western-centric in his thinking and just doesn't regard those other places as notable to his plans

He's planning to kill off the majority of the US and European population, it would be extremely shortsighted for him not to consider the possibility that countries like China and Russia might consider him a threat and move to wipe him out. With the whole country in disarray and the military completely in shambles, he would not be able to prevent an attack from those countries.
    Bagginses wrote: »
    Alternately, the infrastructure needed to carry out the attack isn't great outside of the western world and the populations are more spread out.

Australia, China, Japan, Russia, etc. aren't exactly pre-industrial societies.

• Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    also that the majority of the world's population by far is centered in china and india

y'know

also that

like you wanna talk about overpopulation taxing the planetary resources holy shit China, yo

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular

He's planning to kill off the majority of the US and European population, it would be extremely shortsighted for him not to consider the possibility that countries like China and Russia might consider him a threat and move to wipe him out. With the whole country in disarray and the military completely in shambles, he would not be able to prevent an attack from those countries.

Did he not have Japan? Most of the other countries seem to either be less electronically saturated, more annoying to transport objects in, or less densely populated. Russia especially because Siberia's major cities all seem to be in the middle of fucking nowhere.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The devices were installed, at least in America, by the government. Perhaps Western governments are easier to manipulate using Parish's methods.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    stillevostillevo Registered User new member
    Delmain wrote: »

That's cute.

How do you figure I'm trolling? I disagreed with the title of the thread. As a viewer of both Heroes and Alphas, I have that right don't I? I'm not the one that initiated the comparisons. Alphas is a cool little show, but it's slightly worse than the 4400 and certainly not at the level that Heroes was at in even its worst season.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

That's cute.

How do you figure I'm trolling? I disagreed with the title of the thread. As a viewer of both Heroes and Alphas, I have that right don't I? I'm not the one that initiated the comparisons. Alphas is a cool little show, but it's slightly worse than the 4400 and certainly not at the level that Heroes was at in even its worst season.

I disagree.

• Options
    edited October 2012

That's cute.

The fact that you want to kill off Gary makes you my arch enemy. It's going to be pistols at dawn.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

That's cute.

how do we feel you are trolling? well from my perspective you came in, made a statement without any reasoning/explanation behind it, in a thread where people are discussing their enjoyment of a show. what else would your comment be interpreted as?

• Options
    edited October 2012

Did he not have Japan? Most of the other countries seem to either be less electronically saturated, more annoying to transport objects in, or less densely populated. Russia especially because Siberia's major cities all seem to be in the middle of fucking nowhere.

Maybe there were flags on Tokyo, I don't remember so I'll have to watch it again.

Anyway, my point isn't about how this fits the current story arc, it's about how it can be used for future story arcs. Perhaps the reason why countries like China weren't targeted is because their governments are already run by Alphas and they've been training and using Alphas for years now. That could set up a future storyline about other governments using Alpha spies to infiltrate the United States and it's up to Rosen's team to track them down. Training Alphas and exploiting their abilities could lead to a whole new kind of an arms race. The Alpha terrorist organizations in the US could be sponsored by foreign governments that don't want the US to train Alphas to be soldiers, scientists, engineers, intelligence agents, etc. There's quite a bit of potential there to expand the scope of the show.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular

That's cute.

Well I for one think that you're trolling because there is no way that anyone could honestly say the worst season of Heroes isn't the worst season of any show ever broadcast.

That shit was just bad.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Very nice show analysis by the AV Club today.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    WTF just happened?

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    JonBob wrote: »
    WTF just happened?

No idea, I was busy watching the debate.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    Wow. That is a hell of a finish if that's the last ep they ever do.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    That was unexpected.
    If nothing else, why wouldn't the flashing simply power up the Alphas?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    That was unexpected.
    They'll probably wake up to heightened powers, like what happened with the wandering homeless guy. I'm pretty certain they didn't kill everybody but Gary.

Also, when Rosen is discovered not to be dead it will bring about the reveal I've been predicting since season 1 - he's an alpha. With the power of super-therapy. He'll talk to Parish, really bro out with the guy, see where he's coming from. Then send him along, a changed man.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    EvermournEvermourn Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I really didn't like that episode (or the last one for that matter). It was like they were just writing it on the fly, without thinking things through. A couple of things that really annoyed me:

- the ambush Rosen and Hicks set up actually resulted in some of the redshirts getting killed, but no-one (including their boss, blonde boyfriend guy) seemed to give a shit. They just had hurt feelings that their friends were putting them in a spot. You know what? Those guy's families probably feel worse than you.
    - they kidnapped a prisoner and tortured him, but you know no-one is going to mention it ever again.
    - the answer to the plot was to turn off all the power in the US, including all backup generators. You what? Just how many deaths would that cause? And they haven't even warned everyone, Grand Central Station was still full of people when the power went out. And what about the rest of the world?
    - senses girl is just stupid now, she never gets interference from background sound/smells unless the plot needs her to, she can locate anything or anyone anywhere. She's now just a plot device. Gary is heading the same way, but he was more like that from the start so it isn't as annoying.
    - and finally the ending we always get. "Don't kill him, she wouldn't want that/you'd be no better than him/etc". Gee, never seen that before. Rosen won't give you the drugs? You've spent 3 episodes practicing your furrowed brow, now put that angry to use. Smash the guy's head to a fine paste while he's out, let's see him regen from that.

On the plus side, nice Wolverine/Colossus moment there "Throw me".

Evermourn on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    It's unlikely that the power outage killed that many people. Remember the Northeast blackout of 2003?

They really didn't have time to bring up the kidnapping and torture because most of the country were going to die within the day and that was a bit more important.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Honestly given what was about to happen I am not sure if the HSA would be overall upset even with the whole kidnapping/torture thing when the end result is the info they acquired allowed the saving of millions of citizens.

• Options
    HotandnerdyHotandnerdy Hot and Nerdy Kansas CityRegistered User regular
    That was unexpected.

Very!

girl.jpg
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    This episode is mostly action and Alphas isn't that great with action.
    At times it felt like a video game. They need to go somewhere, but stopping them is a mini-boss and his minions. The point where Harken and Kat did the fastball special, that's when my suspension of disbelief shattered in a million pieces. I actually paused to look up the name on the internet. I mean, really? Really?!

Also, Evermourn, spoiler that stuff.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kasyn wrote: »
    That was unexpected.
    They'll probably wake up to heightened powers, like what happened with the wandering homeless guy. I'm pretty certain they didn't kill everybody but Gary.

Also, when Rosen is discovered not to be dead it will bring about the reveal I've been predicting since season 1 - he's an alpha. With the power of super-therapy. He'll talk to Parish, really bro out with the guy, see where he's coming from. Then send him along, a changed man.

This season's showrunner was better than last season's. I hope they bring them back next season.
    Why was Gary immune from the effects? It'd be nice to see Rosen revealed to have died. They even hinted that was his fate with the daughter hallucination.

• Options
    EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    It was funny watching them try to pass of Union Station in Toronto as Grand Central. I love it when stuff gets filmed in my stomping ground :)

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    Random bits.
    I agree with Evermourn regarding Rachel, Gary, and the sudden reluctance to kill Parish at the end. Still enjoyed the episode, though.

If Stanton is still alive, as I figure he would be, what effect would the flashy shit have on him? He's already practically immortal and has complete, 100% control over every function of the brain. Not sure how much stronger you can make that kind of ability when he's already the most powerful Alpha on the planet. At least, the most powerful Alpha we know of.

If season 3 gets greenlighted, I wonder if they'll be explaining Gary's immunity to the flash as being attributed to his autism. Or perhaps his HUD being up interfered with it? I have no idea.

My "TV crush" on Kat continues.

I've felt like Rosen could probably be an Alpha, as well. Absorbing other people's abilities is a dumb idea for this type of thing, but having him take Parish's immortality would be a possibility if they went that route, and would fit in with Stanton's idea of wanting Lee to be the leader of the "New World". Though that would be problematic, because he was about to leave and never planned on sticking around Dr. Rosen during the event, though he may very well have wanted to do something along those lines after everyone was dead.

Poor Rachel has gotten two doses of that fucking photo-stim, too. That would make her completely convenient way of being unaffected by her abilities when the plot doesn't require it that much more ridiculous. Nina would probably be able to push large groups of people simultaneously and keep them enthralled for as long as she wanted. Hicks will essentially gain complete mastery over his own Alpha stuff so he could become the Parkour Flash every time he felt like it. Bill can now stop meteors with his fists. Kat can now retain her memories permanently and requires less physical interaction with skills in order to attain them. Skylar... I don't know about her. Though if the show is just up and canceled, the Summer Glau Curse will have claimed another victim.

• Options
    That was unexpected.

This season's showrunner was better than last season's. I hope they bring them back next season.
    Why was Gary immune from the effects? It'd be nice to see Rosen revealed to have died. They even hinted that was his fate with the daughter hallucination.
    Gary being kind of immune to brain-related things has been a recurring thing.

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    That was unexpected.

Specifically,
    his ability is to see the EM spectrum. Not just signals, but as explained in Alphaville, the whole spectrum. His brain, I imagine, would be uniquely resilient to such effects. Perhaps he even got powered up but because his brain normaly deals with weird stuff in the EM spectrum it just shrugged and went, "Eh, seen worse."

Shadowen on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    That was unexpected.

Specifically,
    his ability is to see the EM spectrum. Not just signals, but as explained in Alphaville, the whole spectrum. His brain, I imagine, would be uniquely resilient to such effects. Perhaps he even got powered up but because his brain normaly deals with weird stuff in the EM spectrum it just shrugged and went, "Eh, seen worse."
    Yeah, Gary can do radio astronomy.
    His brain must be dealing with radiation from the sun, pulsars in our galaxy, all kinds of phenomena, on a daily basis.

What amazing music they picked though, for a cliffhanger. Can't wait for another season.

"Throw me!" *whistles*. Epic Kat. Is Epic. 8-)

• Options
    Actually, Gary also seems to be able to manipulate EM radiation. Isn't he able to send out signals without using a cell phone? So he has Magneto's powers.

• Options
    He's only supposed to be able to read signals, not send them, but they play fast and loose with it quite a bit. They have him use a computer if he needs to send e-mail or something, but they conveniently gloss over the fact that he wouldn't be able to get any information from the Internet without sending request packets, because it doesn't work like a broadcast.

• Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA