As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Games to Play In Line at PAX

snuffles00snuffles00 Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in PAX Archive
Hello All,

This will be my second year at PAX. I have been searching for quick and easy games to play while waiting in line for events. So far I have Zombie Dice, MTG cards, and Cthulhu dice. I wanted to stray away from board games and go with something that is simple to carry. I have also heard that Pieces of Eight is a great game. I thought I would throw this thread out there and see what my fellow PAX attendees favorites are. I also sadly do not have a DS or PSP and I noticed that it is a popular choice to play with others while waiting in line. What are your thoughts?

-Snuffles00 Dr. Exoskeleton Minion 2017&2018 winner. sr4ievjyisj0.png
snuffles00 on

• Options
    drakk2drakk2 Registered User regular
    Have you tried Lunch Money? It's a fast-paced game if everyone knows the rules. Dont need much space, either.

• Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yomi is a good game to play while waiting in a line. Just make sure not to play it while in a line that is moving! Yomi is a card game that simulates Street Fighter and it is most excellent =D>

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    AprecheApreche Registered User regular
    At PAX East we played Spot-It in line. It's the bomb. Literally, it has a mode called bomb mode. It is such a good game we still play it. Now we are inventing our own modes. The current favorite is two-fisted bomb mode. Not joking. Get this game. It's perfect for lines as you can even kinda play it standing up and a round takes just seconds. Giving you plenty of breaks to move forward.

Spot-It

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    I will have Zombie Dice, Cthuhlu Dice, Fluxx, as well as my DS for DQIX map swapping :) Maybe we can swap a map with the computer ;)

• Options
    MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Along with the usual go-bag gaming supplies (Zombie Dice, DS, et cetera). I'm bringing Mad Libs. I expect many lulz. Do not disappoint me, PAX.

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I will heartily endorse a DS with Pokemon Black/White for the PAX Pokemon League (Yay! Cross Promotion.) Dice games are great as well, and small card games can work too depending

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Tummy sticks.

Let's play tummy sticks, dudes.

UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    HeyJoeHeyJoe SeattleRegistered User regular
    Props to the person who suggested MadLibs... I had no idea you could still get them!

• Options
    Thanks All. That gives me some great ideas. I agree with the MadLibs that would be hilarious. I also picked up Carcassonne the dice game and Zombie Fluxx. I should have lots to play.

• Options
    magathachristiemagathachristie Registered User new member
    Poo the card game is a good fast paced game, great for lines. Good, old-fashioned, monkey-flinging-poo game.

Magathachristie
  • Options
    vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    How about charades? I know that you probably haven't played it since middle school, but I've played it for the first time in 10 years a few months ago and had a blast!

• Options
    nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I would also recommend We Didnt Playtest This At All, fun and quick game to play in lines

• Options
    SolelronSolelron Wandering Gamer Cornelius, ORRegistered User regular
    I would also recommend We Didnt Playtest This At All, fun and quick game to play in lines

OH yeah I'll have that with me, along with all expansions :)

• Options
    verditsgermanverditsgerman Registered User new member
    I highly recommend The Resistance. Two cards per person and insanity.

• Options
    sageltsagelt Registered User regular
    If you can find some, the Lost Worlds combat books are wild fun. You'll need two books to play (one per person) and the rules are a little arcane at first (they're over 20 years old) but once you get going it's like turn-based Street Fighter.

• Options
    frobearfrobear Registered User regular
    Hive looks to be a good one for lines, as long as you've got a place to set tiles down. There's no game board per se, so you can play it anywhere, and the pieces are bakelite tiles so no worries of damaging cards or whatever by setting them on the ground. The game comes with a pouch for the tiles, and my friend and I found that if we needed to pick up and move, we could just snap a photo of the game and reset it in a few seconds once we settled again.

There's an iphone app for the game available too, but playing with the tiles is a pleasure.

• Options
    NessNess Registered User regular
    Last year I played a game with some friends that goes by several names like "Picture Telephone" but we call it "Pass the Drawing." Basically each player has a stack of papers equal to the number of players (6 players, 6 papers) on the first paper you write a sentence and pass the stack to the person to your left (or right). With the new stack you'll draw a picture of the sentence you received on the next piece of paper. You'll then pass the stack and you'll write a sentence of the picture, pass, draw a picture, pass, and so on until you get your original stack back. The final result is usually not the same as the original.

• Options
    lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    Ness wrote:
    Last year I played a game with some friends that goes by several names like "Picture Telephone" but we call it "Pass the Drawing." Basically each player has a stack of papers equal to the number of players (6 players, 6 papers) on the first paper you write a sentence and pass the stack to the person to your left (or right). With the new stack you'll draw a picture of the sentence you received on the next piece of paper. You'll then pass the stack and you'll write a sentence of the picture, pass, draw a picture, pass, and so on until you get your original stack back. The final result is usually not the same as the original.

My family and I play this all the time. So great.

I would also recommend a stupid old game called Pass The Pigs. It's basically a dice game but the dice are little rubber pigs.

• Options
    AkumakeiAkumakei Registered User regular
    If you've got iOS, I'd recommend seeing if those around you do too. You can always put together a game of Ascension or Carcassonne (or others, let me know what they are!) through Game Center, just ask for handles.

• Options
    If you've got iOS, I'd recommend seeing if those around you do too. You can always put together a game of Ascension or Carcassonne (or others, let me know what they are!) through Game Center, just ask for handles.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    I'll be going with cthulhu dice and MtG as well, is zombie dice worth picking up? how do you play?

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Shade wrote:
    I'll be going with cthulhu dice and MtG as well, is zombie dice worth picking up? how do you play?

My Wife and I just bought Zombie dice for $11 or so on Amazon, and we ran a test play and it's a lot of fun. There's a demon here: http://www.sjgames.com/dice/zombiedice/demo.html
    The container is bigger than Cthulhu dice though, and you kinda need something to reach in and grab dice at random (so something opaque that can hold the 13 dice.)
    Sounds like a fair number of people have Zombie dice though.

Ah MtG, my wife has about 6 shoeboxes worth of cards we're thinking of bringing up, but it's been so long since I've play'd I'd look like a Noob.

• Options
    basicallygeekbasicallygeek Registered User regular
    Akumakei wrote:

Yeah I have Carcassonne, Zombie Dice, Ticket to Ride and Fruit Ninja on my iPad. Also physical Zombie Dice. Need to download Ascension and try it.

• Options
    Yeah I have Carcassonne, Zombie Dice, Ticket to Ride and Fruit Ninja on my iPad. Also physical Zombie Dice. Need to download Ascension and try it.

It's a fair representation of the base game. I just wish Rio Grande would get an officially licensed Dominion app out. Battle of Gundabad isn't nearly as good.

• Options
    RyokenRyoken Registered User new member
    For you DnD fans, you can play commoner duels. All you do is take on the role of a commoner (10 AC, 5 HP, other stats are all exactly average with no bonuses to BAB). You roll for initiative and whoever gets higher goes first (like normal). Then that person rolls, and if he rolls higher than a 10, he hits. You roll with a d4 for damage. Crits are standard to 3rd edition (roll to confirm crit). You can also play with critical failure, where if you roll a one (and confirm), you drop your weapon. Let me know if you have questions, comments, or suggestions.

• Options
    MrBartokomousMrBartokomous Registered User regular
    I've always been a big fan of Tetris DS, but I'm also thinking of bringing some Dixie cups for Liar's Dice. That said, I'd be really interested in doing some iOS multiplayer, as I really haven't dabbled in it thus far.

• Options
    AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    drakk2 wrote:
    Have you tried Lunch Money? It's a fast-paced game if everyone knows the rules. Dont need much space, either.

Beer money is better...

• Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Okay, this is gonna sound crazy. Outlandish. Shocking even! I know this is the purview of ultramod gamers but...

Cribbage.

It's old school, sure, but you can get small folding boards to keep in your pocket, a game lasts long enough to not get bored with it and you can just pick it up and move when the line does.

Last year we were playing cribbage in a line at East when a guy walks up, looks at us in amazement and says, "You're playing cribbage? Nobody plays cribbage." stares incredulously for a moment more and walks off.

Awesome.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    Shade wrote:
    I love Zombie Dice because it is super easy for anyone to pick up. Basically you have 3 sets of dice; green=easy, yellow=medium, red=hard(13 dice total). The dice have 3 pictures, brains, shoes=runners, and shotguns. The harder the dice the more likely you will get shotgunned. You roll three dice at a time and you try to collect as many brains that turn without getting 3 shotguns in a row. I believe it is a 14 point objective that you try to score to. It's a great group game and quick and easy to clean up when the lines start moving. I use counters with mine but you can keep track of your score with a notepad or digital notepad on your phone.

• Options
    ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular

I support this choice. 5-10 players, some of you are spies. The spies know who each other are, but the Resistance (non-spies) do not know who anybody is. The point of the game is for the spies to fail missions on purpose and for the Resistance to try and complete missions. This is done by merely voting secretly with a pass card or a fail card. First team to win 3 out of 5 missions wins. Its a game spent accusing people, throwing people under the bus and trying to read their poker faces.

3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    So, basically Mafia with a slightly different ruleset?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    krikitarmykrikitarmy Registered User regular

I support this choice. 5-10 players, some of you are spies. The spies know who each other are, but the Resistance (non-spies) do not know who anybody is. The point of the game is for the spies to fail missions on purpose and for the Resistance to try and complete missions. This is done by merely voting secretly with a pass card or a fail card. First team to win 3 out of 5 missions wins. Its a game spent accusing people, throwing people under the bus and trying to read their poker faces.
    I'll be bringing this game (along with a few others). It looks like a great way to make new friends in line. If anyone sees a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. near them in line feel free to ask for a game.

• Options
    PlaneGuyPlaneGuy Registered User regular
    Matev wrote:

Yeah, but (assuming mafia and werewolf are similar) there is no player elimination and no storyteller required.

If you have pen & paper, Eat Poop, You Cat

• Options
    normanjlinormanjli Registered User regular
    PlaneGuy wrote:
    Matev wrote:

Yeah, but (assuming mafia and werewolf are similar) there is no player elimination and no storyteller required.

If you have pen & paper, Eat Poop, You Cat

I will definitely bring pen and paper for that, also I have a quick question. Would hackey sack be alright? or will there not be enough space?

• Options
    LigerLiger Registered User regular
    Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock

5932306549_6b4d957b56.jpg CUSTOM LANYARDS FOR PAX
  • Options
    BirrhanBirrhan Registered User regular
    Guillotine. You can pick it up at the Board Game sales room. Zombie dice was lots of fun too; also recommended to play the real dice if possible. Cribbage is pretty pimp for 2 ppl, not a bad idea....

• Options
    Masta_FuMasta_Fu Registered User regular
    Turn on DS
    Download and Play

Windows Isn't A Virus, Viruses Do Something:P
  • Options
    SpawnOfCthulhuSpawnOfCthulhu Also that Snifit guy. Gig Harbor, WARegistered User regular
    Munchkin is pretty damn awesome, but it does take up a lot of space.
    But you can get up to ~6 people involved, and it's an awesome way to meet people.

Same with Dominion.
    I love Dominion.

In fact, the first time I played either of these games was at PAX with random people in line, and I had oodles of fun.

Wx8ay.png
  • Options
    InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I wonder if there will be many people with Android devices in the lines that would be down for some Nesoid or Snesoid netplay. With the recent release of SixaxisController, properly controlling the classics is no longer limited to Wiimotes and wired jerry-rigs. (I know the Classic Console area stays true to the roots, but in line is another story.)

Initialdor on
    2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I will have Dice Age (dice game with really funky dice, a bit heavier than Zombie Dice), Jungle Speed (card pattern matching with possible injuries as people grab a wooden totem), M:tG (only if the line doesn't move), and Covert Action (very fast hidden identity game in teams), and my 3DS (mainly Dead or Alive) for line play I think. I will also have The Resistance but I'm not sure how good that one is for line play.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide