As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dried out miniature latex paint - can this be ressurected?

Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I thought I'd get back into painting miniatures, and it turns out that a bunch of my Armory/generic armory type paints have dried out. For the most part these are easily replacable by the Apple Barrel et. al. brands you get from Michaels, but there was one jar of paint that was exactly the right shade and texture for painting leather. Is there a way to revitalize latex/acrylic paint in various stages of dessication?

"A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
Peter Principle on

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    If it's water based I'd try adding a water (drop at a time) and if it's solvent based I'd try adding thinner and then stir and see if you can make it smooth. If it's totally dried out you're probably SOL.

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    It depends on how far gone it is and what the original makeup of the paint actually happens to be.

Will it ever be the same? No. It will goop on you. The viscosity won't be right. Depending on how cheap the paint is, the color will be washed out by adding water to it (if it even takes it).

It's worth a try to add some water and agitation and see what happens, but you're probably better off just buying new. Doubly so if you're working with details.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, the bottle this paint came in is totally without a label (except what appears to be an armory product number on the lid) so I have no idea if it's water based or solvent based. Is there a kind of paint thinner that is recommended? Acetone, MEK, methanol, turpentine...?

"A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Unfortunately, the bottle this paint came in is totally without a label (except what appears to be an armory product number on the lid) so I have no idea if it's water based or solvent based. Is there a kind of paint thinner that is recommended? Acetone, MEK, methanol, turpentine...?

If you know it's latex, then it's water based.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • mbannickmbannick Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I used to mix paint in a hardware department for about 2 years, and from what I can remember adding anything to latex paint is generally not a good idea since you're affecting the way it will dry/cover (most labels specifically state not to add water or "thinner"). Latex paint (and oil too) is gone when its dried out and no matter what you add to it the paint isn't coming back. I've seen some latex conditioners that will "thin" the paint so its safe for paint guns but since yours is dried out I don't think that would do much for you. What I would do is save the bottle so you can have someone match it up for you, or maybe see if they have the specific paint in stock. Does it have a upc (barcode) on it? If it does have them check their inventory for it. Maybe check the internet?

mbannick on