As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Really, earthbenders can create instant foxholes and earthworks, waterbenders can soak your powder, and firebenders would make any amount of powder a liability, so most hand cannons would, as they were initially, be more useful as clubs. Really, firearms only took off because gunpowder could be controlled by the state, the bullets could pierce armor at least as well as a crossbow and required the same amount of training, the production of early guns was slightly cheaper that crossbows, the firing rate was slightly faster than a crossbow, and hitting someone over the head with a crossbow would break it. Given how rare full-strength plate armor was in the first series, most troops would be better off with bows, slings, and javelins.
    This is all beside the issue of how unlikely the invention of the gun was, as it required Chinese gunpowder, European bellmaking, and some middle eastern expertise that I can't remember. Take Genghis Khan linking all these groups under one empire out of the picture, and guns would have never been invented.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    see317 wrote:
    When they get to the earthbending prison camp which in no way bars the earthbenders from just fucking up the firebenders, and then Oong yells stridently but with a distinct lack of any discernable emotion, "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?" And then Katara shoves the guy who said that the Ah-vatar has disappeared for a century. And then firebenders shoot a tiny-ass ball of flame at about three miles per hour toward an earthbender who threw a pebble at the back of some guy's head.

And then water scrolls just happened to be in some fucking broom cupboard. And then Oong decides to purge all the earth kingdom villages of fire nation soldiers because hey, why not.

The only real explanation is that M Night made this movie based entirely on the play in Ember Island Players, having never seen another episode ever.

Ember Island Players was actually pretty entertaining and funny, I would not use either of those words to describe what M Night made.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Heh

Ember Island Players
    Until I looked up the air date, I seriously thought this episode was a dig against the film. At the end where Katara says "Worst play ever" and Sokka says "The effects were okay," I was beside myself with laughter. Ah well, I'll just call it prophetic.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Can someone develop armor against chi blocking? You only need to protect a fixed set of points, right?

• Options
    Can someone develop armor against chi blocking? You only need to protect a fixed set of points, right?

Or just stab the fucker before he can hit those five tiny points in just the right order. Really, chi blocking is only useful against benders.

• Options
    ChopperDaveChopperDave Registered User regular
    Heh

Ember Island Players
    Until I looked up the air date, I seriously thought this episode was a dig against the film. At the end where Katara says "Worst play ever" and Sokka says "The effects were okay," I was beside myself with laughter. Ah well, I'll just call it prophetic.

Ember Island Players was pure fanservice in which the writers playfully slagged their own show and made fun of the characters, plot contrivances, and weak episodes. They also got some digs in against the vocal elements of the fanbase (i.e. shippers), which is always great.

It was actually some really well-done self-effacing humor than also served as a plot synopses for people who hadn't kept up with the show before the series finale.

3DS code: 3007-8077-4055
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:

Or just stab the fucker before he can hit those five tiny points in just the right order. Really, chi blocking is only useful against benders.

The pressure point aspect was pretty effective against Sokka as well.

• Options
    Quid wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:

The pressure point aspect was pretty effective against Sokka as well.

Yeah, but he's Sokka, and that was before the swordsman.

• Options
    I imagine it'd be just as effective against a person with a sword as it would be against a person who shoots fire from their face.

Which is to say as effective as the skill of both parties allows.

• Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:

I think it was more that Ty Lee was absurdly better than everyone else.

If she'd had fire daggers in her hands (or, hell, knives) with the same skill discrepancy then her opponents would have just been dead instead of blocked. A dead bender is even less effective than a chi-blocked bender. It's really only practical in a narrative sense, because they can't go around killing characters.

• Options
    Quid wrote:
    I imagine it'd be just as effective against a person with a sword as it would be against a person who shoots fire from their face.

Yes, but it's needlessly complex, so anybody with a lick of skill could fight evenly with them unless the discipline is as reliant on broad, unwieldy movements and acting at range as bending.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote:
    see317 wrote:
    When they get to the earthbending prison camp which in no way bars the earthbenders from just fucking up the firebenders, and then Oong yells stridently but with a distinct lack of any discernable emotion, "WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?" And then Katara shoves the guy who said that the Ah-vatar has disappeared for a century. And then firebenders shoot a tiny-ass ball of flame at about three miles per hour toward an earthbender who threw a pebble at the back of some guy's head.

And then water scrolls just happened to be in some fucking broom cupboard. And then Oong decides to purge all the earth kingdom villages of fire nation soldiers because hey, why not.

The only real explanation is that M Night made this movie based entirely on the play in Ember Island Players, having never seen another episode ever.

Ember Island Players was actually pretty entertaining and funny, I would not use either of those words to describe what M Night made.

Yes, it was easily one of my favorite episodes in the series.
    But imagine if that was the only episode you had seen. You'd just have the bad acting of the stage actors and some mediocre stage effects trying to tell a story. Most of the humor would have been lost to you, as would the actual characterizations of the main cast. Instead, all you've got are overacting caricatures and a badly unbalanced version of the story.
    If you had tried to write a movie based off of the animated series, but had only seen that one episode, I'd imagine you'd come up with a MNS style train wreck.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Man, one of my really good friends actually thinks the movie is okay. He also thought the bending was good.

I pondered killing him on the spot when I heard him say the words.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Bagginses wrote:
    Quid wrote:

Yes, but it's needlessly complex, so anybody with a lick of skill could fight evenly with them unless the discipline is as reliant on broad, unwieldy movements and acting at range as bending.

Like... advanced techniques in bending that extend beyond just shooting out some element but actually using it usefully? Or advanced techniques in sword fighting that extend beyond just waving it around?

Quid on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    That trailer...that trailer...

I almost don't want it to come out...because I can't imagine it being anyway near as amazing as that trailer was.

This is looking so awesome. Everything about this just feels...right.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    InkSplat wrote:
    Man, one of my really good friends actually thinks the movie is okay. He also thought the bending was good.

There is no need, he is obviously a little dead inside already.

I think if the series concentrates on developing and displaying the personalities of the many characters as the first one did it should be great no matter how bending, technology and politics are worked out.

Also I was under the impression Toph could "sense" earth and metal which is why she was able to function in ways that often seemed like she could see. I could imagine that kind of hyper elemental sense could also be taught and be applicable to the other elements as well.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote:

If you ever want to lose all faith in humanity, read the user reviews of the movie on RottenTomatoes. Here's a taste:
    This is an awesome film for both children and adults. Its the first time in a long time when I said to myself I can't wait to see the sequel. Some reviews are disappointed because it doesn't follow the animated version, that I know nothing about as I don't watch animated films very often and usually by mistake, So maybe that's why I judge this film for what it is and what its not like or could be. Many others have told you the details of what the film is about. What I'm telling you is this is a must watch film.. 5 Stars

• Options
    Actually, the one thing I'm a little disappointed in the number of episodes planned. Don't get me wrong, I like a set story arc and number of episode rather than dragging a show on just because you can. I was just hoping for something equivalent in length to the first avatar.

• Options
    Quid wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Quid wrote:

Like... advanced techniques in bending that extend beyond just shooting out some element but actually using it usefully? Or advanced techniques in sword fighting that extend beyond just waving it around?

I mean how most bending techniques have the arms fully extended and incorporate wide swings (not to mention the fact that propelling the elements seems to provide resistance, slowing people down). While that's good when you're sending tidal waves at people, that would be pretty problematic in actual fisticuffs, as seen in this video of bare knuckle boxing:
    http://youtu.be/ZQcR_3hALTU
    and this video of a traditional Georgian fighting system:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aartHYWPARw

• Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    Quid wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Quid wrote:

I mean how most bending techniques have the arms fully extended and incorporate wide swings (not to mention the fact that propelling the elements seems to provide resistance, slowing people down). While that's good when you're sending tidal waves at people, that would be pretty problematic in actual fisticuffs, as seen in this video of bare knuckle boxing:

Except benders don't have to get that close to a person in order to kick their ass.

• Options
    DeShadowC wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Quid wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    Quid wrote:

Except benders don't have to get that close to a person in order to kick their ass.

Which is why the low muscle mass required for chi blocking is especially effective against them. You can move fast enough to get close, and the low impact strikes don't push the bender back out of range (wrestling also does that, but wresting outside of controlled conditions simply opens you up to a kick in the head by you opponent's buddy). I mean, it's still at a disadvantage, but a much smaller one than most other fighting systems.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Toph was teaching Aang how to sense movement like she does which comes into play in the fight against Oozai so yeah it can be taught.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Olorin wrote:
    Actually, the one thing I'm a little disappointed in the number of episodes planned. Don't get me wrong, I like a set story arc and number of episode rather than dragging a show on just because you can. I was just hoping for something equivalent in length to the first avatar.

It was originally going to be an 8-episode miniseries! I'll take what I can get!

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    InkSplat wrote:

If you ever want to lose all faith in humanity, read the user reviews of the movie on RottenTomatoes. Here's a taste:
    This is an awesome film for both children and adults. Its the first time in a long time when I said to myself I can't wait to see the sequel. Some reviews are disappointed because it doesn't follow the animated version, that I know nothing about as I don't watch animated films very often and usually by mistake, So maybe that's why I judge this film for what it is and what its not like or could be. Many others have told you the details of what the film is about. What I'm telling you is this is a must watch film.. 5 Stars

I can only assume that is a troll/fakepost.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Crazy Theory of the Day Time is go!

Oman wears a mask to hide the fact that he has no face, and is under the control of/posessed by/works for Koh the Face Stealer, who is plotting to invade the Physical World from the Spirit Realm.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    You know what I wanted to see in the first show that we did not? The fire nation colonies. Earthbenders with Fire Nation loyalty, people that did not want to be 'liberated'.

It seems like we might get a bit of that this time round though, what with Bolin and Mako. (I am betting Bolin will become my favorite character).

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote:

Wait, there are people who didn't like the movie?

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote:

Wait, there are people who didn't like the movie?

Is this sarcasm?

Please say it's sarcasm.

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Next Crazy Theory:

Oman is an Energy Bender who strips the bending away from others to increase his own power.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    I almost expect Oman and the other people in charge of the Equalists to be benders themselves, and they are just playing off the non-benders resentment for personal gain.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    so toph probably saw- er.... observed how effective the dai li agents were with their extendo-handcuffs at disabling benders, so that's why she started a metal bending police force

also what the fuck? 5 earthbenders working in tandem and they shoot a rock the size of a basketball? I never knew the movie was that terrible.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote:
    InkSplat wrote:

I can only assume that is a troll/fakepost.

That or M. Night shouldn't be allowed to review his own movies.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Does the movie have directors commentary?

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote:

I don't think anyone ever bought it.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote:

It does not.

Someone gave it to me okay, "liked the show, he'll like the movie even more!"

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    My wife found out at work the other day that one of her coworkers was into Avatar. Apparently she also part-timed as a nanny, and the kid she nannied got her watching it and they watched the whole series together. When the movie came out the kid invited her to come with his family when they went to see it. They didn't check ahead of time to see if it was good. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Wow, the character design for this show is legions ahead of the last one.

Consider me interested.

• Options
    sykeedsykeed Registered User regular
    The trick will be figuring out out to get Nickelodeon to release the sound track from the first series and this one. Getting some email address off there site is not as easy as one would suspect. The creators once again at comic con asked for our help in letting nick know, we want the soundtrack to the old show and Legend of Kora. I know Team PA could get the message across if we could just get the right people to listen.

• Options
    The fire animation is looking seriously good...some stills I grabbed from the trailer.
    Pl29h.jpg

wgvX8.jpg

K3dhV.jpg

me5iw.jpg

rVGGc.jpg

pT4v5.jpg

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    So excited for this show.

This discussion has been closed.