As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

How was I supposed to cook that fish I just ate?

fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I'm at a local Japanese grocer today and see these pretty little silver and blue fish in the cooler. "Mackerals," I says, "I'ma et you."

Once I get home and open the package, it turns out the other side was not the clean filet my sensibilities and experience are used to; but essentially a split fish. Some of the spine is present in each, in the tail end one-third of the fish. There were also a number of small bones throughout. I don't have an actual boning knife, but did a bit of work with my closest bet to get the big parts; and expected to eat carefully to keep an eye for the small bones.

The skin side was cooked easily, but the other side was much more curved than the tuna and salmon with which I'm familiar; so that side didn't want to cook evenly in the skillet. I tried to snug the fish into the curve around the edge of the skillet but it still didn't save me.

I ended up with a partially under-cooked fish with some scorched and some very pale panko crumb around the outside. The bones weren't as bad as I had expected, but there were also parts of the fish I didn't really cut into once I saw the score (I think that was also the area I saw as having the highest bone danger). I ate the bits that seemed okay.

I was thinking that maybe if I had tried the oven it would have worked out better? It would answer the shape, and also maybe the meat would flake away from the bone a good bit on it's own?
Side note: my oven is not an option right now due to insane weather and insane heat leak when I run it.

So I've got a second one of these in the fridge that I'll probably do tomorrow for lunch. How?

fadingathedges on

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    We used tweezers or de-boning graspers (no idea the actual name?) lay the fish skin side down, head away from you, run your fingers up from the tail to the head and pluck out the bones as you find them. Cook it skin side down to make it crisp and flip it when it's just over half done for just a few seconds on the non skin side. I like lemon pepper and a dill caper sauce.

The curve thing I haven't had happen before, are you covering it?

dispatch.o on
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    I usually steam fish like that if what you're describing is a whole fish that has been gutted and not much else. I put a tad of butter, chives, kosher salt, cracked pepper and just steam for a few.

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    I've never steamed fish. You mean like in a basket over boiling water, or just covered pan/skillet with some water involved? I imagine the former, since I don't see butter staying on the fish in a steamer basket?

Cooking longer on the skin side sounds like it would solve some of my issues. My tweezers are for hangnails and stuff though D: Finger pluckin' will have to do.

• ElinElin Registered User regular
    I'll admit I'm lazy as fuck and I buy the steamer microwave bags. Still tastes good, and little to no clean up!

Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I've never steamed fish. You mean like in a basket over boiling water, or just covered pan/skillet with some water involved? I imagine the former, since I don't see butter staying on the fish in a steamer basket?

Cooking longer on the skin side sounds like it would solve some of my issues. My tweezers are for hangnails and stuff though D: Finger pluckin' will have to do.

Cook it skin side down, with a lid of some kind even if it's just the lid off a pot that sort of fits. It'll cook more quickly and evenly.