Options

Survival sims: Trying not to die.

• Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote:
    Demiurge wrote:
    Okay Unreal World is going to destroy my social life. I'm having way too much fun making bows and arrows, running around hunting squirrels and building shelters.

I was just about to come and suggest that game. It can be very challenging, what with trying to simulate life in iron age Finland. There's anything from trapping, fishing, hunting, tracking, building shelters, farming, to building an actual farmhouse with a root cellar and a sauna. In addition to fighting against the eastern raiders and manufacturing all sorts of gear. The seasons also change, so eventually you'll have to stockpile food(if you survive that far) for the winter, and make warm clothing. If that gets boring, you can always go exploring the caves that can be found in the world, or raid a Njerpezi encampment, or try to woo a wife from one of the villages, or start your own herd of animals, or anything, really. It's a pretty great game, once you get past the limited graphics and if roguelike controls don't bother you.

My favorite game mode so far is starting in the bumfuck of nowhere with the left for dead option. 40% wounds and all you have is the clothes on your back and a knife. Trying to survive like that is fun, I spend most of my time fishing with javelins and hunting squirrels with a bow and arrow.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    With the latest version some modding options were added to Unreal World, mods can be found on the forums as well as done yourself. They are not that hard to do but can add some fun options, like making your own shovels, fishing rods, better bows/weapons etc while still being realistic.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Lost in Blue on the DS was a pretty good portable entry in the genre.

But you get hungry and thirsty so incredibly fast that the majority of your time is spent cooking. And you have to feed and shelter a mostly hapless AI companion, which is seldom fun.

Only if you played the game for 20 minutes. You eventually make better food and the AI can handle themselves as well once you get going. Lost in Blue 2 and 3 were excellent as well.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    Minecraft/Terraria kind of remind me of this, in the sense that you start with nothing in a hostile world, have to build shelter, explore your surroundings for resources and craft tools. Of course, the survival aspect in these games is only secondary.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I've been playing Rogue Survivor a bit today. It's a Zombie Apocalypse Survival Rogue-Like. You have to eat and sleep, find and secure places to heal and stockpile, hook up with other survivors or go on your own. It's pretty nifty and can be obtained here.

Oh yeah, you can also play as a Zombie. And there is an interesting reincarnation mechanic you can play around with too.

Drake on
  • Options
    Finally learnt how to hunt in this game, subsistence fishing is not any way to make a living and I can't figure out trapping. I have traps everywhere but they never catch anything at all. But once I learned that you can see animals from afar if you climb up a tree it got a LOT easier, also javelins are overpowered, better than bows really.

This is me.
    BjZWq.jpg

Construction has begun on my winter abode, I have bought tools with various furs and I have a metric ton of reindeer meat drying but no salt so it probably won't last long. The biggest obstacle to construction is time, it takes an entire day to build a single wall section and before that I have to haul trunks and carve them into logs and its constantly interrupted by my need to go hunting. I wish those traps would catch something..

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Ah, memories of playing the Unreal World demo back in the day.

You could actually kill people, then butcher them for meat like you would a deer, then roast the meat over a camp fire and sell it to vendors.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Dangerbird wrote:
    Ah, memories of playing the Unreal World demo back in the day.

You could actually kill people, then butcher them for meat like you would a deer, then roast the meat over a camp fire and sell it to vendors.

I bought the full version (its only 3 bucks) and totally worth it. Can you still cut people up? My next character is totally going to be a cannibal.

Edit: You can! Holy shit :D

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    You can but its actually better to use the cuts to trade for stuff. Also a tip for anyone getting into the game. Drying is the best way to go with meat, lasts the longest. Salt is fucking expensive.

Consult the wiki: http://unrealworld.wikia.com/wiki/Unreal_World_Wiki for more tips and fun!

Remember that the most efficient use of cords is 19 cuts per 1 cord, that way you can be more efficient with your cord to meat usage!

• Options
    Bah! I am already resorting to cannibalism, found a njersomething warrior and killed him. His clothes will make the cords to dry his meat :P

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Remember to sacrifice some of his meat to the gods then, bad things can happen to those who consume the flesh of men...

• Options
    Are simple cuts valuable for trade? I've been tanning squirrel furs for trading primarily.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Roasted cuts trade pretty well surprisingly, a lot of stuff listed on the wiki is listed in cut value.

edit: For example, I think a Fur Cloak (awesome for cords) that weighs in at 14 is 30 or so cuts.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I remember Robinsons Requiem!

I never got far in that game.

Never ever.

Someone, who is apart of a large group of developers of computer games, needs to remake this game with DX11 graphics.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    This economic model for Unreal World is interesting.

• Options
    Everything seems to have a base value in "cuts". I tend to just sell untanned skins though, I've gotten really good at hunting and I can never carry more than 100 cuts anyway, and bears and stags leave you like 400.

Its cool how I'm still picking up new things though, last week I finally figured out that a cellar will keep most things fresh forever.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I just got Lost in Blue: Shipwrecked for Ridiculous Little$ and, despite it being mini-gamed up the corn chute, it's bizzarely addicting.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Can you actually make your own village in Unreal World?

It seems like an interesting game, but playing the lone woodsman could get boring after awhile. What would be really interesting is if you could go build up your own village consisting of friendly NPC's, and wipe out the Njer-whatever camps nearby.

It seems like you can get your own companions, but i'm curious as to how well the whole system works.

Also, is UW still receiving updates?

Archonex on
  • Options
    zerocountzerocount Registered User regular
    I remember playing an old moon sim game on the PC that involved building a lunar base and ensuring that it was a persistently stable living environment. Not only can I not remember the damn name of the game, but I don't recall ever being that successful at it. "Moon something" or "Lunar..." or something like that.

I recall a couple of other features:
    - there were other moon bases being AI-built and I think you could trade with them... at least I seem to recall being able to trade them my unidentified colony plague for some other goods once we built a connecting "tube"
    - everything was modular
    - 3D isometric presentation
    - damn hard

Anyone recall this game?

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    zerocount wrote:
    I remember playing an old moon sim game on the PC that involved building a lunar base and ensuring that it was a persistently stable living environment. Not only can I not remember the damn name of the game, but I don't recall ever being that successful at it. "Moon something" or "Lunar..." or something like that.

I recall a couple of other features:
    - there were other moon bases being AI-built and I think you could trade with them... at least I seem to recall being able to trade them my unidentified colony plague for some other goods once we built a connecting "tube"
    - everything was modular
    - 3D isometric presentation
    - damn hard

Anyone recall this game?

Was it Outpost? It was actually released unfinished, and was unbeatable, from what I recall. Probably still is.

Has anyone played the NASA game? It was amazing, though, not for the reason most would think. It was supposed to be a strictly cooperative game. And yet, it seems someone at NASA understood the logic behind Space Station 13. There's always one jackass saboteur lying in wait to fuck everything up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycn7S30UoMg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8uLT_EIJjs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEu19Ltn8-8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLocugw1pFg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMzt6ARc5DY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RONp-vsKinE&feature=related

Go asterisk yourself!

Bonus video: Somewhat more NWS then the others due to someone raging the heck out.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OO4Zp2XqqBo&feature=related

Noone beats Dexter at Moonbase Alpha.

Noone!

Archonex on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Right stuff - mental health = Steve Buscemi in Armageddon

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Huh. Unreal world looks fun. But I can't keep up with my health hunger meter.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Try out Return to Mysterious Island. You are a modern-day yacht racer of some kind who is marooned on the same island as the Jules Verne book. It's an adventure game but the focus is on survival and you can die, though death is rare.

http://www.fileplanet.com/146965/140000/fileinfo/Return-to-Mysterious-Island-Demo

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    So who's picking up I Am Alive?

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »

Did that actually turn unto be a survival game? I kind of lost track of it.

• Options
    PatboyXPatboyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    JihadJesus wrote: »
    Beltaine wrote: »

Did that actually turn unto be a survival game? I kind of lost track of it.

There is a quick look up on Giant Bomb that gives some of the interesting high points and low points of how it turned out.

edit:
    http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-i-am-alive/17-5769/

PatboyX on
    "lenny bruce is not afraid..."
    brush1rt1.jpg
  • Options
    Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Not that IGN is even remotely the ideal source for reviews, but they crapped all over I Am Alive, might want to give that a read and see if it was reviewer bias or the game simply deserved the 4.5

Just an FYI, I didn't have time to read over the full review but was shocked to see it that low.

Lt. Fragg on
  • Options
    mnihilmnihil Registered User regular
    Search didn't turn up any discussion dedicated to I Am Alive, so I guess I'll post here:

Personally, I regret purchasing it.
    I read IGN's review, then tried the demo, then read another favourable review that made the game sound intriguing, purchased it, and am conflicted.
    I'm going to continue with it, I guess, but so far it's kind of a struggle.
    I find it artistically tiring.
    The game design is... I guess "unevolved" would be an appropriate term, which is ridiculous considering the game's history. It's as if, after the first meeting discussing game design in a survival environment, they went ahead, threw those ideas together, and never went back to expand upon them, play with them or get creative. They can't exactly be described as gimmicks, but they are rudimentary. You run out of stamina, so you have various "coping mechanisms". However, there is no way to avoid running out of stamina, so the game is forced to provide you with enough items to deal with the situation. I fear the moment that the game forgets to do so, because then I have no idea what I am supposed to do. The same with combat. It's basically designed not as an action sequence, but as a puzzle how to deal with the situation. I found it intruiging. This would almost work as combat in an adventure game. But the truth is, it's utterly formulaic, and given the actual narrative potential in that situation, it's frustrating how wasted it is. The combat is about intimidation; insecurity, is he bluffing? should I make a run for it? That's the concept. It ends up utterly formulaic. And flawed at that. The second you lower the gun that opponent, frozen with fear before, charges you, forgetting the threat. You can't leave people alive, there's no reading of opponents ("maybe he rather wants to live then to pointlessly charge me", "he's crazy, he'll attack either way"). There's no change, so you always know the exact procedure, down to the number of bullets you'll need, to deal with any given, always scripted combat situation.
    I quit when they introduced the concept of "the Dust", which eats away at your character in every conceivable way when you stay in it for too long... I wanted to explore. I heard someone shouting for help. Instead I got caught in some fence, turned around, got caught in another object (not stuck, it's just that visibility is limited), got devoured by the Dust. Fun times.

So why would I go back to it? ... Well, I paid for it. I'm hoping it picks up. I'm hoping something happens, like... an interesting narrative, for instance (so far not really). I bought it because I liked the ideas presented in the demo, and the pacing was way better initially than it is after that first chapter. I saw so so much narrative potential. Dealing with that survival scenario. I hate my imagination, sometimes.

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    I've been playing Rogue Survivor a bit today. It's a Zombie Apocalypse Survival Rogue-Like. You have to eat and sleep, find and secure places to heal and stockpile, hook up with other survivors or go on your own. It's pretty nifty and can be obtained here.

Oh yeah, you can also play as a Zombie. And there is an interesting reincarnation mechanic you can play around with too.
    Cataclysm is basically this turned up to 11 minus the ability to play as the undead. It plays up some of the Super Zombie/Eldritch Abomination stuff a bit too much for my liking, but it's pretty easy to screw around with the source to turn those things off.

• Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    I really need to do more survival game LPs. Raw Danger and Disaster Report were so good to me.

Does anyone know an old Gameboy (Color?) game where you get into a shipwreck and stranded on an island? I remember playing it loooong ago.

www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Fallout New Vegas set to hardcore mode is survival orientated. You have to eat/drink and manage radiation at the same time. I'm too much of a pussy to play it on hardcore mode.

• Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    Kaseius wrote: »
    I really need to do more survival game LPs. Raw Danger and Disaster Report were so good to me.

Does anyone know an old Gameboy (Color?) game where you get into a shipwreck and stranded on an island? I remember playing it loooong ago.
    Survival Kids! Fun little title, though I don't know how the multiple endings would work out for an LP (There's like 10 of them).

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Karl wrote:
    Fallout New Vegas set to hardcore mode is survival orientated. You have to eat/drink and manage radiation at the same time. I'm too much of a pussy to play it on hardcore mode.

It's really not that bad. The only difficulty it really adds is making Stimpacks not be instant.

Other than that, it's for the atmosphere.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    I see no reference to the Original Terminator Game. I guess it skirts on survival without a food/sleep/drink mechanic, but there is a terminator after you!
    The Terminator (DOS)
    A DOS computer action-adventure game based on the first movie. Developed and published by Bethesda Softworks in 1990, it was the first officially licensed game based on the Terminator film series, which allowed Bethesda to sublicense the film's rights for the console versions.

This game was written in 100% assembly and takes up more than 35000 lines. The game contains approximately 20000 3D objects. It was developed using Turbo Assembler and Turbo Debugger with all debugging being done remotely. It was created on a variety of 286 and 386 computers. All graphics were created on IBMs and Amigas using DPIII and DA. More than 700 frames of animations were created. The delta mode compression yielded a 100 to 1 ratio.

You take on the role of Kyle Reese and protect Sarah Connor from the cyborg sent back in time to kill her, or become the Terminator and eliminate Kyle and Sarah. Either way, the player chases his opponent through Los Angeles buying or stealing weapons and equipment while attempting to eliminate his enemy and avoid the police.
    The game takes place within a huge (roughly 10 miles by 6 miles) 3-D rendered area of central Los Angeles. The game area runs roughly from Beverly Drive to Central Ave (lengthwise), and from Mulholland Drive to National Blvd (vertically). A game map is included in the box for reference. Though the buildings and their placement within the world is generic, and highways/overpasses have been removed, the streets and their layout are largely accurate. The game also includes some landmarks, such as Dodger Stadium, Griffith Park, and the Silver Lake Reservoir.[1]

One of my favorites in the 1990's.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    does anyone remember playing some kind of survival warcraft 3 custom map? there was a wintery one i played a couple times that i loved but no one would join it, there were a lot of objects to interact with and pick up and a lot of ways to die, and it had that kind of "use item on other item to make new item" monkey island feel to it. it was tough to get into i guess because it was almost impossible to survive the cold of the first night, at least for a multiplayer game. you were lucky if you were the one guy to find an ice crystal that you could use to light a fire with the sun...

kind of ridiculous but it was a cool concept for a game

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    kingpoacherkingpoacher Registered User new member
    Demiurge= G.O.D.S?

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I came across this and thought this thread might appreciate me sharing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdKqNrPkUTw

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Great thread. I never heard of most of these games. I'm downloading Rogue Survivor now and maybe will check out Unreal World.

• Options
    AbsurðrAbsurðr Näkrå maximum fucking hellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I came across this and thought this thread might appreciate me sharing it:

snip
    That looks really pleasant, thanks for posting that.

Here's their website, devblog link is at the bottom
    http://www.underthegarden.com/
    with the addition of rope and wall climbing, a lot of the dangers in the first have been changed, for example:

Falling down a ditch will break your leg but you wont re-spawn at a campfire anymore, you simply limp around and have to use tools to escape the ditch, such as rope or climbing tools. Illnesses are obtained basically without the transition this time, staying out too long in the storm will give you a cold initially, then onto more dangerous things longer its left untreated, same with wounds, if a wound is left untreated it will fester and get progressively worse.

Their first game was Under the Garden. It's free and looks appropriate for this thread
    http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=13394.0

Absurðr on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    Can't believe nobody has mentioned Project Zomboid.
    It's basically a simulation of you being trapped in a quarantined town. You have to deal with everything. Everything. Food, water, sleep, sanity, weight, sickness, keeping your house secure, insane survivors, noise, light, loneliness etc.
    The game makes a point of telling you that you will die and there's nothing you can do about it.
    http://projectzomboid.com/blog/