As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Survival sims: Trying not to die.

• Options
    FleebFleeb has all of the fleeb juice Registered User regular
    Huh, thought Zombiod crashed and burned after a lost laptop or something. Glad to see work continues.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    They had backups, it was a severe loss of work, but they had backups.

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Justice wrote: »
    Great thread. I never heard of most of these games. I'm downloading Rogue Survivor now and maybe will check out Unreal World.

Okay, downloaded it then spent 1.5 hours updating my bootcamp copy of windows (directx and .net framework), and fiddling, to make it work, and then got bored with the game in, like, five minutes. Most of the boredom had to do with keymapping and the fact that it assumes I have a numpad when I have a laptop. Honestly, I'm not sure if the problem is me or the game.

Guess my point is I'd kill for a good modern console survival game.

• Options
    ueanuean Registered User regular
    Just played Project Zomboid... that's awesome. I'm defnitely worried about having to start over every time you die, but seems like a great little game so far with good atmo and music.

I died halfway through day 1 by burning the house down and smothering my wife to spare her from the flames, which caught a pant leg on fire and welp

Guys? Hay guys?
    PSN - sumowot
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I smothered my wife by accident, how do I set buildings on fire?

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    The closest thing thats modern to this I can think of are stuff like Amnesia, and the STALKER series.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    uean wrote: »
    Just played Project Zomboid... that's awesome. I'm defnitely worried about having to start over every time you die, but seems like a great little game so far with good atmo and music.

I died halfway through day 1 by burning the house down and smothering my wife to spare her from the flames, which caught a pant leg on fire and welp

Wow, that just peaked my interest in this game. I don't mind dying as long as its not that hard to start a new character.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    uean wrote: »

Wow, that just peaked my interest in this game. I don't mind dying as long as its not that hard to start a new character.

Think The Binding of Isaac, except with more zombies and more contemplation than action.
    Smothering your wife is actually the way you skip the tutorial, but it gives you a framed picture of her that weighs a few pounds that you can't remove. Read: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouBastard

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    RPS just did an article on this game that may grab the interest of people called NEO Scavenger. Has a demo link in the article:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/13/scavenging-angels-neo-scavenger/

• Options
    R_FR_F EnglandRegistered User regular
    Rogue Survivor's probably one of the best survival roguelike.

Surviving in a city full of zombies whilst bikers and SWAT teams fight in the town and try to raid the corporation that started the disease's facilities for stuff.

The RawrfulCast
    Me and a Friend Play Games... Usually Badly
  • Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    R_F wrote: »

Surviving in a city full of zombies whilst bikers and SWAT teams fight in the town and try to raid the corporation that started the disease's facilities for stuff.

I've played a bit of rogue survivor now, and I'm sort of at a loss for what to do. I can survive for a couple of weeks, I can typically get to the police station and char facility raids, but once you've found the games ending, which is sort of like a giant TODO message, what then? Just survive as long as possible for kicks? I'm still 3 achievements shy of the 8 in the game, so I must be missing something.

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    Ah, Robinson's Requiem. I played that as a kid. Maybe I was too young to do it right. But I remember it to be a less of a survival sim, and more of a dying sim. Over and over.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    seabass wrote: »

I've played a bit of rogue survivor now, and I'm sort of at a loss for what to do. I can survive for a couple of weeks, I can typically get to the police station and char facility raids, but once you've found the games ending, which is sort of like a giant TODO message, what then? Just survive as long as possible for kicks? I'm still 3 achievements shy of the 8 in the game, so I must be missing something.

I've managed to have a character who survived for months and I either didn't notice or find this game's ending. I thought the only possible ending was death, what are you on about? Is it possible to get rescued or something?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    seabass wrote: »

I've managed to have a character who survived for months and I either didn't notice or find this game's ending. I thought the only possible ending was death, what are you on about? Is it possible to get rescued or something?

If you go to the prison early on in the game, a prisoner will beg you to free him. He'll tell you what started the zombie outbreak before turning into a badass monster. He points you to a special CHAR facility with a basement. The basement is huge and has generators in each corner. If you turn on all of the generators, you get a "Hey, we should probably add in an ending to the game" message.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Sounds like a joke message to me, pretty much sure the Dev of Rogue Survivor said the game is all about how long you survive is kinda the highscore system. Any benefit from turning on the generators? Food? Weapons? Closed doors the zombies can't break down?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sounds like a joke message to me, pretty much sure the Dev of Rogue Survivor said the game is all about how long you survive is kinda the highscore system. Any benefit from turning on the generators? Food? Weapons? Closed doors the zombies can't break down?

Not really. The lights come on. The facility is worth raiding because it has a ton of supplies, but it's full of nasty monsters too, so probably too much risk for little reward.

• Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    Spent the weekend playing Rogue Survivor and just hit the "sorry the plot ends here-check next release" message.

Grumble. Guess that's what "alpha" means.

Thought I'd bump this and see if anyone has another suggestion? Putting Dead Island on order now. I hunger for braaains.

• Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    it will be cool when they roll out the multiplayer version of Project Zomboid.

Its still *way* far off, but oh man how fun it will be with my bro and friends to build a fortress. Sure we'll starve sooner if there is no more food, but safety in *competent* numbers is worth it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I see no reference to the Original Terminator Game. I guess it skirts on survival without a food/sleep/drink mechanic, but there is a terminator after you!
    The Terminator (DOS)
    A DOS computer action-adventure game based on the first movie. Developed and published by Bethesda Softworks in 1990, it was the first officially licensed game based on the Terminator film series, which allowed Bethesda to sublicense the film's rights for the console versions.

This game was written in 100% assembly and takes up more than 35000 lines. The game contains approximately 20000 3D objects. It was developed using Turbo Assembler and Turbo Debugger with all debugging being done remotely. It was created on a variety of 286 and 386 computers. All graphics were created on IBMs and Amigas using DPIII and DA. More than 700 frames of animations were created. The delta mode compression yielded a 100 to 1 ratio.

You take on the role of Kyle Reese and protect Sarah Connor from the cyborg sent back in time to kill her, or become the Terminator and eliminate Kyle and Sarah. Either way, the player chases his opponent through Los Angeles buying or stealing weapons and equipment while attempting to eliminate his enemy and avoid the police.
    The game takes place within a huge (roughly 10 miles by 6 miles) 3-D rendered area of central Los Angeles. The game area runs roughly from Beverly Drive to Central Ave (lengthwise), and from Mulholland Drive to National Blvd (vertically). A game map is included in the box for reference. Though the buildings and their placement within the world is generic, and highways/overpasses have been removed, the streets and their layout are largely accurate. The game also includes some landmarks, such as Dodger Stadium, Griffith Park, and the Silver Lake Reservoir.[1]

One of my favorites in the 1990's.

I am going to back Bronc up here in saying that this game was a damn good game. You start with literally nothing and have to break in or steal pretty much anything you want to own until you're satisfied you're good to go kill/save Sarah Connor. And when everyone looks like walking stick figures it isn't easy to pick your opponent out of a crowd.

Plus, just look at this.

Titlescreen-1.gif

How fantastic a start menu is that?
    1039110962-00.gif

It's rough to start out. You need supplies. Food. Ammunition and the guns that use it. So that's when you check the....
    Phonebook.gif

See those grid references?
    LAMap.png

You can walk, steal a car, or take a taxi. That you probably stole money for.
    Gunshop.gif

Nowwww you're talking!

The first and still the best Terminator game ever made.

Even Chess Wars.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    It was tough as nails too, I never beat it out of a few hundred attempts.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    EllingtonEllington Registered User new member
    >>>"Stranded 2" is probly the best survival sim game.<<< Somone mentioned this game but they called it 'Deserted' (dont bother playing story mode)
    Also Skyrim has alot of camping and survival mods for PC version.
    (Minecraft survival mode)

• Options
    EllingtonEllington Registered User new member
    >>Stranded 2<< Also has an expansion called 'Massive Mod'

If you can survive the Massive version, you got skills!

I think this game is the only true survival sim....

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    NEO Scavenger, on Desura, is an interesting project with a lot of potential. It's a turn based roguelike set in a near future Post Apocalypse. It features low key sci fi and supernatural elements, lots and lots of scavenging, looting, craftaing and desperate fist fights versus hobos with tire irons.

Gameplay takes place on a hex-grid overworld. Activities within the hexes are carried out through an interesting skill based dialogue system. Even combat is handled this way. It gives it an old school table top RPG feel in a way. That really surprised me. You'll spend most of your time looting stuff like plastic bags, Bic lighters and tangled balls of string and then using found recipes in concert with skills to turn this junk into stuff you need to survive. It's a pretty neat game.

• Options
    Its rpg system is quite satisfying.

I keep playing and often die chocking on my blood in the darkness to an unknown assailant.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Drake wrote: »
    NEO Scavenger, on Desura

Oooo that is good. Glad you linked it, I'da never known.

Did get a little pissed when I got into a fight with a bandit with a gun, beat the crap out of the bandit but never got the option to take his gun :/ I see what i was doing wrong :D

Badass game so far tho. May just have to give them $10.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    edited November 2012
    BrocksMullet on
    I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    Fleeb wrote: »
    Drake wrote: »
    NEO Scavenger, on Desura

Oooo that is good. Glad you linked it, I'da never known.

Did get a little pissed when I got into a fight with a bandit with a gun, beat the crap out of the bandit but never got the option to take his gun :/

Badass game so far tho. May just have to give them $10.

It should fall on the ground where you were fighting.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    Yeah, i must have moved off the hex after the fight, i fought another guy and got all his goodies.

I almost feel bad, so far most of the combat has been me chasing down bandits as they try desperately to escape, and bludgeoning them to death with a crowbar. I used cleavers at first but they deteriorate too fast.

Fleeb on
  • Options
    I've been knocking bandits to the ground and kicking their heads in.......:oops:

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Still waiting on Miasmata to come out. It's like a Myst survival sim. Looks very interesting.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Kind of surprised Dwarf Fortress Adventure Mode hasn't been mentioned.

It's slightly more rogue like and RPG than survival, but it has some serious survival elements (temperature, food/drink, injuries, etc).

• Options
    Super incomplete tho isn't it? Do food and drink do anything yet? And last I recall injuries get healed by traveling on the big map.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Super incomplete tho isn't it? Do food and drink do anything yet? And last I recall injuries get healed by traveling on the big map.

Superficial injuries will heal over time, scrapes and such. Broken bones linger and lower your stats, lost limbs become a thing you have to deal with for the rest of your characters life, head/brain injuries can do some hilarious stuff like changing the text/menu's around.

Different degrees of starvation/dehydration do different things, including eventual death. Sleep deprivation is also a thing. There's also about a million mods that add even more complicated mechanics like combat arts, magic, housing, government structures, new races and mechanics for them...etc.

• Options

Superficial injuries will heal over time, scrapes and such. Broken bones linger and lower your stats, lost limbs become a thing you have to deal with for the rest of your characters life, head/brain injuries can do some hilarious stuff like changing the text/menu's around.

Different degrees of starvation/dehydration do different things, including eventual death. Sleep deprivation is also a thing. There's also about a million mods that add even more complicated mechanics like combat arts, magic, housing, government structures, new races and mechanics for them...etc.

which game is this?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

which game is this?

The post right above Fleeb's might tell you.
    Dwarf Fortress adventure mode

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Miasmata has the Greenlight and is released on Steam today.

Looks interesting.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Great stuff. Hadn't noticed that was coming out so soon. Can remember being intrigued by it while on Greenlight.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Huh, that does look interesting.

• Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    How Survival Simish is Misasmata? How much crafting is there outside of mediciny stuff?

• Options
    edited December 2012
    The UnReal World just got a neat write up in The Escapist.

Also 3.15 Final is out now, with a lot of new combat additions. Most welcome is the addition of a coup de grace. No more spending ages beating the life out of that wounded elk. Lots of nice additions to missile combat as well. The injury and treatment system is in good shape too. There are multiple methods to care for wounds, and wounds have a lot of impact on how you play. Even simple things like bruises and sprains can complicate and delay achieving vital objectives. This can have a cascade effect on events and create many interesting situations.

Drake on