As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2011 DM's Challenge - Saturday 8/27 - 7pm

PAX_RPGA_CoordinatorPAX_RPGA_Coordinator Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in PAX Archive
2011 PAX Prime DM’s Challenge: Neverwinter!

Participation Details
DMs must create an adventure suitable for five 3rd-level characters (actual group size may vary from 4-6 players) using the D&D 4th Edition rules, with a spotlight on themes, organizations, and foes featured in the Neverwinter Campaign Setting.

The adventure should play in about 4-5 hours, including time for the players to review characters. You should write approximately 3 tactical encounters for your adventure; you must write at least 2 tactical encounters, but no more than 4. Tactical encounters can be fights or other deadly challenges (like traps). Levels for the encounters should not be lower than 2 or higher than 5; you should endeavor to write a total of about 10 levels' worth of tactical encounters (that would parse out into two 3rd-level fights and one 4th-level fight).

Your adventure should be set somewhere in or around the city of Neverwinter, as described in the Gazetteer section of the Neverwinter Campaign Setting, and should feature one or more factions as described in that book. You can develop any story you’d like, but you should use monsters and foes from both Monster Vault books and the Neverwinter Campaign Setting. Add exploration and roleplaying encounters to your adventure to really make it come to life beyond the tactical encounters. 

Materials
You are expected to provide Neverwinter-themed player characters for players to use for your adventure. The characters should all be 3rd level, and you should bring 6 different characters. Make sure to account for a play group of 4, 5, or 6 characters when you write your characters and the adventure.

You are required to bring all materials with you that you'll need to run your adventure - maps/tiles, minis/tokens, player character sheets, etc. If you’d like to use D&D Fortune Cards, you can bring cards and develop a use for them in-game (draw from a central deck, integrate them as boons earned during the adventure, etc.).

Judging
Each player at your table will be given a form to complete after they finish playing. On the form, they'll be asked to rate you on the following categories:

Presentation 
Story
Challenges
Characters
Fun Factor

Rewards
All DMs participating will receive a bit of swag from D&D HQ. The top scoring DMs will receive sweet prizes, and the acknowledgement that they run a truly awesome game of D&D!

To compete, ask questions, or for any additional info you need email me comixguru (at) yahoo (dot) com

Robert Altomare
PAX Prime Senior GM since 2007
PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on

• Options
    The event will be held in the lower level (basement) or the Annex/Conference Center. We'll need tons of players to help make the event go off, so feel free to show up just to play and rate the judges!

Robert Altomare
  • Options
    CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    So what's the motivation for this exactly? Also you should specify 4e, not just D&D.

Personally I'm not a fan of this format or the way you're scoring. Maybe if the prizes are super awesome.

• Options
    We provide every DM with something, usually a Wizards of the Coast book or something similar. The winner last year received a pile of Wizards product, probably $300+ worth of stuff.

Robert Altomare
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Never tried Forgotten Realms before, that was my dad's setting, oh well, nothing ventured...!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    We provide every DM with something, usually a Wizards of the Coast book or something similar. The winner last year received a pile of Wizards product, probably $300+ worth of stuff.

It was easily $300 worth of stuff, probably closer to $400. Every DM who participated received a copy of the Rules Compendium, which is quite nice. It was wonderfully fun last year, and I would be all over this again if I wasn't otherwise committed that Sunday evening. Highly recommended.

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    but Susan, it's Saturday evening...?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    Right, I meant Saturday. But who knows, I may just throw my hat into this one too in an attempt to defend my title...

2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I've prepared an outline of my scenario already, just need the Neverwinter campaign guidenance text before finishing it all off. I'm really looking forward to this :)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    There's still some spots left in the DMs Challenge. We had one person last year who actually put together a dungeon onsite and had a blast... so there's plenty of time left.

There's this cool thing comic book creators do called a 24 Hour Comic. It might be cool to do something like that next year, but 24 hours may not be enough time. Hmmm. Maybe a 72 Hour Dungeon. We'll announce the details at 7PM Wednesday, and run the event at 7PM on Saturday night. That would be something else. :)

Check out all the D&D Event info at:
    http://sites.google.com/site/ddatpaxprime/

Robert Altomare
  • Options
    Ghola DuncanGhola Duncan Registered User regular
    There's still some spots left in the DMs Challenge. We had one person last year who actually put together a dungeon onsite and had a blast... so there's plenty of time left.

There's this cool thing comic book creators do called a 24 Hour Comic. It might be cool to do something like that next year, but 24 hours may not be enough time. Hmmm. Maybe a 72 Hour Dungeon. We'll announce the details at 7PM Wednesday, and run the event at 7PM on Saturday night. That would be something else. :)

Check out all the D&D Event info at:
    http://sites.google.com/site/ddatpaxprime/

I didn't know we signed up before hand. Where do I go to do this?