Earlier today Echo closed the D&D chat thread because of the inexcusably bad behavior of several people. It was a good call and I'm glad he made it. Infractions were handed out; if I had been here at the time, there would have been several more. You may count yourselves lucky.
I am home tonight after eight hours house painting in 100+ degree heat. I have the energy and inclination to do very little right now except browse the forums and drink the giant pitcher of Arnold Palmer I have made. That being the case, I'm willing to reopen the chat thread for tonight on a provisional basis.
By posting in this thread, you agree
- that you are not posting here to hash out childish, moronic grudges against other forumers,
- that you are not posting here to gripe incessantly about discussions to which you contribute nothing,
- that you are not posting here to impress us with how sarcastic, snarky, snotty or just generally negative and unpleasant you can be,
- that you are not crushingly unfamiliar with the basic rules of courtesy or the rules of the forum on which you are posting,
- that you are not under the impression that being "correct" about some ridiculous argument is a foolproof excuse for a shitty attitude,
- that you understand that this is an informal conversation, and are prepared to extend the benefit of the doubt to the person to whom you're replying,
- that before hitting Post Reply, you will take a second - every time - to pause and ask yourself if what you're writing is going to contribute constructively to the conversation or just add to the giant pile of bullshit.
Posting in the chat thread is a privilege extended to members who contribute in positive ways to the Debate & Discourse community. It is not a right and it can and will be revoked the second I think it's becoming a vehicle for people to be nasty or vindictive to each other. Be on your best behavior or don't be here at all.
In that spirit, any infractions I hand out in this chat thread are going to be serious ones.
Anyone who complains they weren't warned, or who are just generally unable to own up to the consequences of their own behavior, can look forward to another 2-pointer on top of that. I honestly and sincerely hope that I don't have to do any of this, and that the good people - which I know the vast majority of you are - can get this chat thread on track and keep it the collegial, informative, and fun place I know it can be.
Now move out.