As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Provisional [chat] (READ THE OP)

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    skippy i support you in this decision

sig.gif
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    South host wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    looking through my books.

Damn I had a lot of encyclopedias on rocks and animals as a kid

Did you like igneous or sedimentary more?

igneous!

or magmatisk as I'd have said as a kid

granite is the most baller rock

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    seriously Pods, if you actually like and respect neighbor girl, nut up and tell her that you like her but are not very much NOT looking for a relationship. If she thinks that is cool and fine, then you owe her nothing after that in terms of worrying about how she sees you two.

If she says that she wants to be more, sorry brah, but it seems like you got girls coming out of the woodwork so I wouldn't worry.

yeah, I know. HOPEFULLY she will be all "i really like you, but I'd also be cool being casual."

Ugh it's gonna be tough because the sex is STUPENDOUS

Plus I just got her an awesome deal on a synth I want to play

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Guys, did you all know that J.K. Rowling won the Hugo/Nebula award over George R.R. Martin's a storm of swords (user voted, obv) and then didn't accept the award because her "books are not fantasy".

I can think of a word to describe her!

I can find absolutely zero evidence for this.

• Options
    South hostSouth host I obey without question Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    South host wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    looking through my books.

Damn I had a lot of encyclopedias on rocks and animals as a kid

Did you like igneous or sedimentary more?

igneous!

or magmatisk as I'd have said as a kid

granite is the most baller rock

Hell yes.

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    Also the longer you wait to tell her, Pods, esp if she likes you, the more of a chance she gets upset and freaks out at you.

I'd say hang with her tonight have "the talk".

Then you are free to see any amount of rehearsal gals you want without having to worry about it.

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    When the main characters in your books are a bunch of WIZARDS I think you need to have a lot of gaul to tell someone they aren't fantasy.

"So this is my new book about robots flying around on futuristic spaceships but please don't confuse that with sci-fi"

uh well a lot of science fiction authors and critics hate the term "sci-fi" since it was originally used as a derogatory term for bad, pulp science fiction.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote:
    She thinks her books are magical realism

and now we watch as Gabriel Garcia Marquez spins in his un-filled grave

Borges is definitely spinning in his grave.

And suddenly Rowling has gone from someone I didn't really care about to someone I kind of dislike in a vague sort of way.

• Options
    In fact, I'm finding several quotes where she does call it fantasy.

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It would be cool if there were a game we could all play and talk on vent at the same time and skippy could feed like the boss he is.

Why that sounds like League of Legends. Let us assemble in the Legendmobile!

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    I heard we were being racist to Danes and came as fast I could. Many of my compatriots could use a dose of their own medicine. Seriously, my government and the far right-wingers supporting them are terrible.

That aside, there are actually quite a lot of Danes on the forums, I can remember more Danish forummers than Norwegian.

Also, my deepest sympathies to you Abdh. Did you know any of the victims? I seem to recall you having something to do with Arbejderpartiet.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    simonwolf wrote:
    When the main characters in your books are a bunch of WIZARDS I think you need to have a lot of gaul to tell someone they aren't fantasy.

"So this is my new book about robots flying around on futuristic spaceships but please don't confuse that with sci-fi"

uh well a lot of science fiction authors and critics hate the term "sci-fi" since it was originally used as a derogatory term for bad, pulp science fiction.

You spoiled my joke with facts.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._K._Rowling
    She stated in October 2007 that her future work was unlikely to be in the fantasy genre, explaining, "I think probably I've done my fantasy ...

Quid on
  • Options
    Quid wrote:
    In fact, I'm finding several quotes where she does call it fantasy.

And today Inquisitor once again learns the lesson to never ever trust people on the interbutts.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote:

I think "speculative fiction" is the preferred genre name for the cranky sci-fi authors who express disdain for "sci-fi".

And by "cranky sci-fi authors" I mean "Harlan Ellison".

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Jesus H. The face on this mini is amazing.

Realize: the head on this mini is smaller than your pinky nail.

elspethvdrak6.jpg

• Options
    Lawndart wrote:
    I think "speculative fiction" is the preferred genre name for the cranky sci-fi authors who express disdain for "sci-fi".

I can't get enough of Gabe's story about him.

• Options
    my dad told a story at my confirmation when he was giving a speech

it was about when I was maybe seven I think

he'd been at this geological trip thing with Shell and he'd brought back this fingernail sized golden lump. It was surprisingly heavy, and really beautiful.

he asked me "Do you know what this is?"

"That's svovelkis, or pyrite. It's called fool's gold because it looks like it, but it's much harder (fingernail scrape) and it forms these cubic crystals you see here"

I was like, dang, I was a nerdy kid

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    @stevemarks44: true

Probably won't do that tonight though. We'll grab dinner or something later on in the week and I'll bring it up then.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Echo: I don't want a miniature that detailed because then I will be forced to confront how woefully inadequate my ability to paint is.

• Options
    The only thing I can find about this Rowling/Hugo award thing is that she didn't accept the award or send anyone to accept it and never sent a formal thank you to the awards.

Then later she won an award and made some kind of off-hand comment about how she had never won an award for adult authors.

• Options
    Bah, hearing Winky talk about Dead Space 2 made me really want to play it, but I'd wanna beat the first one first, but apparently I lent my copy to a friend and never got it back.

I bet I could find it real cheap these days though.

• Options
    jakobagger wrote:
    I heard we were being racist to Danes and came as fast I could. Many of my compatriots could use a dose of their own medicine. Seriously, my government and the far right-wingers supporting them are terrible.

That aside, there are actually quite a lot of Danes on the forums, I can remember more Danish forummers than Norwegian.

Also, my deepest sympathies to you Abdh. Did you know any of the victims? I seem to recall you having something to do with Arbejderpartiet.

I don't know anyone who got killed.

I think. It's not 100% on everyone but it's getting p sure.

But yeah, I was a member of AUF and I've been to Utøya before. Which is a part of why this hit so hard because I could imagine it so well.

And you really could not find a larger concentration of good, bright people who want to do good anywhere in this world.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Echo: I don't want a miniature that detailed because then I will be forced to confront how woefully inadequate my ability to paint is.

Yarly. I'm already intimidated enough by some of the faces on my Dark Eldar.

• Options
    Taking her to dinner is classy too, Pods.

God speed you devilshly handsome fiend.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    He had boot camp but he got rid of it because he is being a stupid butt and thinks that he can resist playing LoL with me even though each game with my wondrous presence is like touching the stars forever and ever and ever

it's so beautiful

*single crystal tear*

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:
    simonwolf wrote:

I was reading through a book of essays from Damon Knight, and he was an old, old hand at Science Fiction. Old enough to remember meeting a very young Harlan Ellison. Who was an asshole then.

• Options
    ...and the whole thing isn't exactly too shabby.

elspethvdrak3.jpg
    elspethvdrak1.jpg

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    cant live in the clouds man

skippy came back down to earth

he doin' man's work now

sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    The only thing I can find about this Rowling/Hugo award thing is that she didn't accept the award or send anyone to accept it and never sent a formal thank you to the awards.

Then later she won an award and made some kind of off-hand comment about how she had never won an award for adult authors.
    I googled "rowling hugo reject" and got nothing, so I don't think it happened.

• Options
    Yeah that is a very nice model Echo. Who makes it? Is that GW finecast or whatever? Because if so, HOT DAMN!

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:
    Yeah that is a very nice model Echo. Who makes it? Is that GW finecast or whatever? Because if so, HOT DAMN!

It's Forgeworld.

• Options
    or maybe I will watch Conan

hmmmmm

• Options
    also, granite is an under-appreciated rock

like, man, it's just common old rock

gråstein

but it's only when you get to places with sedimentary rock types making up the land that you realize that granite is p cool after all

it's hard as balls

it doesn't chip and become jagged, it becomes smooth instead (seriously, stone beaches in the mediterranean, go suck my cock, you suck.)

and if you actually look at it close it's damn pretty

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    cant live in the clouds man

skippy came back down to earth

he doin' man's work now

He's playing HoN now? That silly goose!

• Options
    Echo wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:

It's Forgeworld.

Ah, I should have guessed. Forgeworld makes me the most amazing stuff. Costs $Texas, but, you know, is actually worth it.

• Options

I googled "rowling hugo reject" and got nothing, so I don't think it happened.

Yeah I mean its documented that she wasn't there and that she sent no one to accept it.

I'd imagine that all of the ifs ands ad buts are mad GRRM fans.

• Options
    jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    @abdhyious well, that's something, at least. But still so terrible. I hope this will at least be interpreted as part of a larger picture of right-wing extremism and make people take that threat seriously, instead of wasting resources harassing Scandinavia's peaceful Muslims and taking "terror" as a synonym for Islamism.

• Options
    enter the dragon it is

tomorrow is Chinese connection?!

• Options
    jakobagger wrote:
    @abdhyious well, that's something, at least. But still so terrible. I hope this will at least be interpreted as part of a larger picture of right-wing extremism and make people take that threat seriously, instead of wasting resources harassing Scandinavia's peaceful Muslims and taking "terror" as a synonym for Islamism.

I just read an article that was all "yeah, ok, this was bad by a right-wing extremist, now let's talk about how multiculturalism is bad!"

Ugh.

This discussion has been closed.