As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Taste, Presentation and Creativity [Chopped]

MimMim I prefer my lovers…dead.Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
chopped-carousel-Copy.jpg

4 Chefs.
3 Courses.
Only One Chance to Win.

Chopped is a television show on the Food Network that began airing in 2009. Hosted by Ted Allen, three judges critique the meals of four chefs as they battle to win $10,000. They're given access to a pantry filled with almost anything you could possibly need to cook a successful meal. The catch? They MUST use the MYSTERY ingredients given to them in a basket before time runs out in each round. Also, and I cannot stress this enough: PUT SOMETHING ON THE #%##@$! PLATE.

Host:

Ted Allen
bio-ted-allen_al-Copy.jpg
Likes to get in people's way as they cook to ask them questions about what they're cooking.

Judges (the ones more commonly seen anyways)

Scott Conant
01conant-Copy.jpg
Specializes in Italian cooking (pasta is really all he talks about). Do not put raw onions in his meals. However, he's kind of a douche so do it anyways.

Alex Guarnaschelli
Guarnaschelli01.png
Does not like excuses. Save your bullshit excuses for someone who won't glare at you while she eats your meal.
Established in this thread: Bit of a cry baby

Amanda Freitag
Freitag01.png
Always complains about something

Geoffrey Zakarian
zaaaaaaaka.jpg
Very sensitive to spicy things. Kind of pompous.

Marc Murphy
marc190-Copy.jpg
Pretty fair judge.

Chris Santos
str_072507_santos.jpg
Pretty nice and fair. Doesn't like excuses either.

Aarón Sánchez (pronounced Air-rone or Ar-rone; take your pick)
Aaron-Sanchez58620.jpg
Possibly the sexiest judge. Really, just say his name. Let the hotness wash over you.

While this thread is mostly about Chopped! Don't be afraid to post things about other Food Network shows like Iron Chef or anything else. I can always change the OP/Title.

Mim on

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I've never watched Chopped. It sounds a lot like Iron Chef.

• MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    I've never watched Chopped. It sounds a lot like Iron Chef.

Pfft, it so much better than Iron Chef in terms of causing strokes. The chefs on Iron Chef never forget to put something on a plate nor do they ever have to deal with mixing chocolate and fish.

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I always have the feeling they allow the chefs more time than they say. Everyone's always rushing and then bam suddenly a perfectly arranged dish

hmm

Also I chuckled evilly as this unfortunate midwestern housewife-type couldn't understand how to slice eel and started crying

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
    I do know that it takes like a whole day to film the show, so I wonder how much of it goes into cooking or cleanup. Also, they use weird stoves which is why the contestants are always like "Why is my pan not hot enough?!"

But I really do always hope they put something on the plate.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Chopped is awesome because if you are any good at cooking, you'll watch an episode, and as they announce the ingredients for a given meal you're thinking:

"I could make something with that."
    "Oh, that's just like X, probably could use that."
    "...wut..."

Nearly every time.

Also, @Mim you need to make sure people know how to pronounce Aaron's name correctly. It's "Air-rone"

My favorite panels are when it's all female judges. I think they did an episode where Ted Allen was pretty much the only guy you saw. 3 female judges, 4 female contestants, and not one single judge was interested in dealing with one single excuse.

It was marvelous.

Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
    edited July 2011
    I know in Iron Chef they actually find out the secret theme ingredient, like, the day before the episode films. So they have time to plan, and get what they need. Also, they only have to finish one of each dish before the timer runs out.

with Chopped, I have no idea when they're informed of the ingredients, but it seems like it's all very much real time, at least during the round. I think there's a lot more time between rounds than a 1/2 hour show will let you see, but it does feel like they're constantly hurrying just to finish something.

Tox on
    Tox wrote:
    My favorite panels are when it's all female judges. I think they did an episode where Ted Allen was pretty much the only guy you saw. 3 female judges, 4 female contestants, and not one single judge was interested in dealing with one single excuse.

It was marvelous.

The episode was "Ladies First" right? I might have it on my DVR, but I can't watch it until tomorrow :(

I wonder if they've ever let anyone through who did not have anything on the plate. I know they let some people taste what's on the stove, but has that ever been enough?

I don't know, all I can think about is the guy with the overcooked pasta. He was afraid it would be overcooked, at least, so he pulled it, strained it, then gave it a "cold water bath" (read: RINSED HIS NOODLES!) to keep it from overcooking.

Scott was....not pleased. I think Alex and Marc were the other two judges, and even they were giving him a hard time about it.

He got chopped, despite his dish apparently both looking and tasting better than the other guy's plate.

He should've put raw onions in the pasta just to fuck with Conant more.

I remember the one guy who kept forgetting to put things on the plate but they let him go all the way to dessert I think, only for him to forget it a third time. I was like "Are you people serious?"

Then they always have contestants with sob stories who seem to go through even though their dishes weren't good. Except the one lady whose sister died the day before.

edited July 2011
    The worst part is always the guy who's appetizer isn't terrible, but isn't very good, but he's got potential, so they let him through. Then he makes it through to dessert, and gets fucked because his appetizer wasn't very good.

I swear that happens almost every episode. I rarely guess wrong on who's going to win, because I just look at the appetizers.

Tox on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Tox wrote:
    Chopped is awesome because if you are any good at cooking, you'll watch an episode, and as they announce the ingredients for a given meal you're thinking:

"I could make something with that."
    "Oh, that's just like X, probably could use that."
    "...wut..."

Nearly every time.

Also, @Mim you need to make sure people know how to pronounce Aaron's name correctly. It's "Air-rone"

It was marvelous.

They really manage to find obscure ingredients, once or twice they've had an ingredient that some of the judges were like "What the fuck is that"
    Eddy wrote:
    I always have the feeling they allow the chefs more time than they say. Everyone's always rushing and then bam suddenly a perfectly arranged dish

hmm

Also I chuckled evilly as this unfortunate midwestern housewife-type couldn't understand how to slice eel and started crying

On Chopped? I don't watch every one but I don't think I've seen one where someone hasn't fucked up and presented a half finished plate missing a key component

override367 on
    Tox wrote:
    The worst part is always the guy who's appetizer isn't terrible, but isn't very good, but he's got potential, so they let him through. Then he makes it through to dessert, and gets fucked because his appetizer wasn't very good.

I swear that happens almost every episode. I rarely guess wrong on who's going to win, because I just look at the appetizers.
    Yes! Oh my god it drives me mad. "Well, we thought you were good enough to get to the very end, but now we're going to use your weak dishes against you and punch you in the kidney to boot."

I must say though that the show has inspired me to cook. I would love to do an amateur chopped competition. Only I'd need way more time to cook meat.

I'm pretty sure most of the time the ovens are already preheated to something around 200 or so, just to kickstart it. That or those things heat up ultra fast.

I'd love an amateur chopped show. Double the time, just to be fair, and don't have very hard ingredients. Just use stuff that most people maybe haven't, like broccoli rabe or that sort of thing.

Yeah, I don't think I'd want uchi, gummy bears and salmon in a basket.

Though I do know now that uchi tastes good fried. :P

It's funny when they toss something like crackers or cookies or some random, crunchy bread-thing in the basket, and all the chefs are like, "I...what?...uhhh...."

Instantly I shout: "Crust the fish!"

I believe one time they had Cheetos in the basket. Everyone was like "This is disgusting!"

All I could think was "but I eat those now and they're delicious..."

I don't think I've ever seen one where they had something like that and didn't have fish. Maybe pork or fowl, but usually fish, it seems.

It feels obvious.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Tox wrote:
    I don't think I've ever seen one where they had something like that and didn't have fish. Maybe pork or fowl, but usually fish, it seems.

It feels obvious.

Which makes you wonder if people think it's a trap.

It was hilarious to me to see how many people were amazed Duff can cook when he was on Chopped. You do realize the man worked as a sous chef in some of the most prestigious restaurants in the US, right?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Who is Duff? I might have missed this episode.

• Samir Duran DuranSamir Duran Duran Registered User regular
    Why are there so many different competitive cooking shows?

What was wrong with the first one?

Ani121OD.pngSpr_3e_121.gifAni121OD.png
    Iron Chef is okay, but it's not like a complete mind fuck as Chopped is. So I can see why Chopped would be made. The only other competitive cooking show I know of is the one on Bravo (?) and that's mostly to have your own television show, I think.

Iron Chef is about competing against the masters of the craft. It's pretty much about the prestige of being able to go toe-to-toe with the best and survive.

Chopped is a level below that. It's peer-level competition. You're competing against the best on your level. For most of those competitors, it's about the money, and the opportunity to prove you belong in the field.

Top Chef on Bravo is a similar idea. Again, peer-based competition. The difference is that Top Chef is also a Reality Show, whereas Chopped plays out a bit more like a Game Show.

Tox wrote:
    Iron Chef is about competing against the masters of the craft. It's pretty much about the prestige of being able to go toe-to-toe with the best and survive.

Chopped is a level below that. It's peer-level competition. You're competing against the best on your level. For most of those competitors, it's about the money, and the opportunity to prove you belong in the field.

Top Chef on Bravo is a similar idea. Again, peer-based competition. The difference is that Top Chef is also a Reality Show, whereas Chopped plays out a bit more like a Game Show.

I think I watched Top Chef while on vacation and one of the Indian American chefs pissed me off by raging against beef before the other guy was going to present his dishes that contained beef. It was just bad sportsmanship.

Yeah, there's a lllllllllot of that on Top Chef. Most of the people on that show are smug, silly geese.

Did I mention it's a reality show?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Tox wrote:

Well Top Chef really tries to be a transitional show and carries more cachet than Chopped. Most of the Top Chef winners have really been quite good, especially in the later seasons. At the same time the seasons are like 16+ episodes long, it is a very different thing from Chopped. Challenge wise I think Top Chef gets closest to what Chopped does but that isn't all the time.

The Next Food Network Star is the show Mim was thinking of with regards to the "own" tv show. It had much much less to do with cooking and much much more to do with looking good on a cooking show.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    Tox wrote:
    Yeah, there's a lllllllllot of that on Top Chef. Most of the people on that show are smug, silly geese.

Did I mention it's a reality show?

Way more than half of the smug-stuff comes from editing. Either from juxtaposition or taking statements out of context.

So, yea, it's a reality show.

Worst Cooks is the best show, though. Dude tried to boil a chicken.

Like, a whole fucking chicken. In the pot. Water wasn't even boiling.

Then he's all, "it's not cooking, I don't understand!"

....I think that's called "poaching".

It is also a horrible thing to do to a chicken.

Tox wrote:
    Worst Cooks is the best show, though. Dude tried to boil a chicken.

Like, a whole fucking chicken. In the pot. Water wasn't even boiling.

Then he's all, "it's not cooking, I don't understand!"

What time does that come on? I must see this.

I have no idea. No TV service, haven't actually seen it in months.

It's great, though. "Worst Cooks in America." Robert Irvine and Anne Burrell.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Who is Duff? I might have missed this episode.

Duff Goldman, the star of Ace of Cakes and owner of Charm City Bakery. They had a series of eps where they had Food Network talent compete, which highlighted how good they are.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I saw an episode of Chopped recently with a bunch of young, Southern, female chefs.

One girl really made me laugh with how serious she took the show. She actually said aloud, "If I do badly in the next round, I really need to go home and rethink my career."

I had to wonder how many times as a chef she was required to invent a dessert wholesale in 20 minutes from a basket containing cuttlefish, gooseberries, and Bhudda's Hand, and how she thinks that's relevant to her continued employment in the field. I must have missed where Raymond Blanc said, "Hey, if you can't invent a dessert involving poultry gonads under a half hour, go fuck yourself and quit."

I saw an episode of Chopped recently with a bunch of young, Southern, female chefs.

One girl really made me laugh with how serious she took the show. She actually said aloud, "If I do badly in the next round, I really need to go home and rethink my career."

I had to wonder how many times as a chef she was required to invent a dessert wholesale in 20 minutes from a basket containing cuttlefish, gooseberries, and Bhudda's Hand, and how she thinks that's relevant to her continued employment in the field. I must have missed where Raymond Blanc said, "Hey, if you can't invent a dessert involving poultry gonads under a half hour, go fuck yourself and quit."

It's an odd theme I see running in the show. Chefs go "Well if I win Chopped then I know I'm in the right career!" No it doesn't. It just means you enjoy horrible amounts of pain.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    I like the episodes of chopped where they change out what's in the pantry in between rounds. One in particular where they took out all of the eggs before the dessert round then gave then a loaf of brioche in the basket.

• MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    It's about time someone made a Chopped thread.

Hot.

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited July 2011
    Also, it's absolutely not pronounced Air-rone. It's Ar-rone. Notice the lack of "i". Also he's a douche.
    G-Zak for life.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    Also, it's absolutely not pronounced Air-rone. It's Ar-rone. Notice the lack of "i". Also he's a douche.
    G-Zak for life.

I've heard Ted pronounce it both ways, but I'll put this in the OP.

And no he isn't! Geoffrey can't suck a hot pepper for all I care. Every time I see him, I roll my eyes because I know he has something douchetastic to say. Plus, I saw one episode where it looked like he was bullying the other judges to pick the guy he wanted.

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    I think on of my favorite episodes was when they had a box of mac and cheese as one of the ingredients and one of the guys did not use the cheese powder where everyone else did and had nicely flavored cheesy sauces or baked goods. He was not very nice about it either implying that the fact the others had used it meant he was better then them or something like that, it has been a while.

All of the contestants I have seen though are much more professional then anything on top chef. It might just be the reality tv show factor but some of them seem like they have never worked in a professional environment.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited July 2011
    Mim wrote:
    G-Zak for life.

And no he isn't! Geoffrey can't suck a hot pepper for all I care. Every time I see him, I roll my eyes because I know he has something douchetastic to say. Plus, I saw one episode where it looked like he was bullying the other judges to pick the guy he wanted.

But it's hilarious! Honestly though, Alex is my favorite. She cries so goddamn much, though. Jesus, woman.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    Mim wrote:
    G-Zak for life.

But it's hilarious! Honestly though, Alex is my favorite. She cries so goddamn much, though. Jesus, woman.

Yeah, she comes off as a hard ass but when someone wins or someone has a sob story, she's a big softie <3