As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4e] The End of the World is Nigh (and getting Nigher) (OOC)

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    I think if you do pick my flesh wearing soul harvester, you should also pick one of the totally lawful god-fearing sycophants. Just so we can have the best kind of shenanigans. Plus, I fully believe it is with my power as a long term D&D player and DM to RP well enough to drag him down to my level. That's the beauty of playing a Chaotic character, trying to convert the party to go along with your insanity, even indulge in it themselves.

• Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    I agree because technically I am that god-fearing sycophant.

Of course I am a god-fearing sycophant with a big-ass sword that protects you pussies.

• Options
    I don't know, I think once you see the results I can get with this finely crafted sacrificial dagger, what with all its hooks and serrations, you might start turning a blind eye to my "information extraction" and then "new cloak, isn't it pretty?"

• Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can say with a certainty that my character would never adventure with someone such as Anon's character. Especially given the descriptions used.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yeah now I'm starting to get iffy at it, since it sounds more and more Chaotic Evil (Chaotic Neutral simply does whatever suits them, this guy seems to revel in hurting people, no matter how much they deserved it.)

Especially since I can kind of say with certainty that "Oh no, try sacrificing! It's fun!" would probably lead to me having to warn Anon to roll for initiative before I stab his face off.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    No delete :(

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    wildwoodwildwood Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Aspen Alivirad, Goliath Warden (any advice on how to add free feats in the on-line builder?)

Background:
    It had been a nice grove, a patch of forest just below the tree line to call his own, to tend to and look after. Then all sorts of creatures started wandering through, creatures from far away, not heading anywhere in particular, but with nothing to go back to, either. All he could do was help them keep moving along, hoping they would find their place.

And then everything got crazy. Bands of cultists seeking out the weirdest ritual ingredients. (Albino minotaur horn? Seriously?) Crazier cultists looking for anything unusual to sacrifice, hoping that would do the trick. Blood-soaked psychopaths waving a knife at anything and everything.

He hated to admit it, but the city was looking a lot safer than the country these days. He loaded up his pack and headed for the nearest road.

Appearance:
    At first glance, Aspen appears to be doing his best impersonation of a wall, what with towering over everyone and having that huge shield with him whereever he goes. Subsequent glances would catch him watching others carefully, even tossing out the occasional wry joke, to see who notices. If left alone with children for any amount of time, they will climb all over him.

Picture:
    7fe4e2a4ed8c455febc3137a5d42d21d.jpg

wildwood on
  • Options
    RazorwiredRazorwired Registered User regular
    Yeah now I'm starting to get iffy at it, since it sounds more and more Chaotic Evil (Chaotic Neutral simply does whatever suits them, this guy seems to revel in hurting people, no matter how much they deserved it.)

Especially since I can kind of say with certainty that "Oh no, try sacrificing! It's fun!" would probably lead to me having to warn Anon to roll for initiative before I stab his face off.

Inclined to agree here. Chaotic characters aren't necessarily insane. Chaotic just means that you've got little regard for law and order. Chaotic characters dislike authority figures, enjoy personal freedom and don't really like people telling them what to do. And any alignment can be insane. Lawful characters can get overzealous, the good go through breakdowns when things stop being all puppydogs and rainbows, and evil characters can become obsessive over one little goal. Insanity isn't regulated to one trait. It's all about the degree of extremity in a person.

• Options
    GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Motivation will always be more important than alignment. As long as the nutty murderer has a reason to not kill the good guys and help the others, things should work out.

• Options
    I just don't want that "reason" to dissolve away and basically put us all at odds with either killing him like our characters would do in that situation or letting it happen cuz it's WACKY.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    I agree, alignment shouldn't make the player be a dick and ruin the party. Shouldn't make you do anything, that's what motivations are for.
    But anyway,

Jahl - Tiefling Battlemind

Before word of the apocalypse had spread, Jahl had been a sleeper agent. Tucked away amidst the bustle of Tobruk, he had no idea of his psionic abilities, until the day a tiny crystal orb was delivered to his door. Touching the stone, he awoke. Bemused at first that the delivery boy had frozen before him, he realised he had to will time to speed up again. Studying the crystal, he found a lattice of messages woven into it. The only one he could decipher was “End comes. Awaken sleepers.”.
    Two months later, Jahl wasn’t surprised to hear that the end was indeed nigh. He’d always known, he simply had to remember. Other ‘memories’ had surfaced since. Training mostly, but now they had turned into orders. He didn’t know who or what was giving them, but he was going to find out before he followed. He hoped he could do so before the end.

Jahl is one of the more human looking tieflings, his short horns only just clearing a messy mane of black hair. With skin a deep red more akin to a tan than anything demonic, his most notable feature is his solid black eyes. A little shorter than average, he wears battered, loose fitting armour and carries a short mace that looks far too heavy for his scrawny arms.
    I don't care what you say, this character is not Jason Bourne

I'm in the Trollhaunt,Mal'dun and Odam pbps. Oh, and the 3:16 game that you should all read because AlfredR is awesome.

Grog on
  • Options
    Everyone be hattin' on the sadist.

:evil:

• Options
    Everyone be hattin' on the sadist.

:evil:

More like Nobody be turnin' they back on the sadist... :)

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Just be forewarned, if you do get in, you're pretty much going to be watched like a hawk to make sure you stay Chaotic Neutral.

EDIT: And looking at the alignment description, he's already messed that up. Chaotic Neutral is a free spirit. Not to mention you outright described him as a "sociopath murderer of a silent god" which...is pretty much Chaotic Evil through and through.

Which means the first encounter will likely be me vs you.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    So maybe the party should start out with seven or eight characters, to allow for some... attrition?

• Options
    Or every application is entered into a battle royale, the last 5 of whom are in the final party

• Options
    I do have to agree with The Muffin Man, though, that a Sadist is much closer to Evil than Neutral. My character wouldn't have alignment problems with that, but he would be very cautious about teaming up with an Evil character, unless there are some extremely compelling reasons to have him around. Which I haven't really seen yet.

For example, would my character ever get any sleep while he had the watch?

• Options
    jcpillarsjcpillars Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Here is my application. He's a typical dwarven fighter, hopefully with the flavor of the campaign in his backstory which I think is appropriate with the Background benefit: Ancestral Homeland Lost. He's a pretty good defender that would fit in nicely with the group.

Unkirk Bolderfast [url] http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=316580[/url]

pic
    M_Dwarf5.png
    character builder summary
    ===== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Dunkirk Holderfast, level 3
    Dwarf, Fighter
    Build: Guardian Fighter
    Fighter: Combat Superiority
    Fighter Talents: One-handed Weapon Talent
    Background: Dwarf - Ancestral Home Lost (Perception class skill)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 18, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 16, Con 16, Dex 11, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 10.

AC: 22 Fort: 18 Reflex: 14 Will: 15
    HP: 45 Surges: 13 Surge Value: 11

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +6, Perception +7, Intimidate +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics -3, Arcana, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +4, Endurance +3, Heal +2, History, Insight +2, Nature +2, Religion, Stealth -3, Streetwise +1, Thievery -3

FEATS
    Level 1: Armor Proficiency: Plate
    Level 2: Encouraging Shield
    Bonus Feat: Versatile Expertise (Heavy Blade).

POWERS
    Fighter at-will 1: Resolute Shield
    Fighter at-will 1: Cleave
    Fighter encounter 1: Hack and Hew
    Fighter daily 1: Driving Attack
    Fighter utility 2: Unstoppable
    Fighter encounter 3: Bull Charge

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Heavy Shield, Black Iron Plate Armor +1, Defensive Longsword +1, Amulet of Health +1, Crossbow, Crossbow Bolts (20), Dagger, Everburning Torch, Stonemeal Biscuits x5, Woundpatch x3
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

Background:
    Unkirk Bolderfast was tricked out of the Dwarven homeland of Kundoborgoroth right before they sealed the gate. His rival, an insiduously evil Dwarven fighter named Khaspar Gome convinced the local captain of his guard to send him on a mission outside of the Dwarven stronghold to retrieve a minor member of the Kundoborgoroth nobility. When he reached the human town, he found out the noble had already been summoned to the Dwarven homeland. Soon after, they sealed the stronghold with a million million runes, and Unkirk Bolderfast was left on the outside to fend for himself in the coming Armaggedon.

Earlier in his childhood, Unkirk had always grown up in the military life-style. He favored the heavy blade for it's greater accuracy over the traditional Dwarven axes and hammers which labeled him somewhat of an outsider. His rival, Khaspar Gome, had taken advantage of this strangeness to further isolate him. This would have gone hard for the young dwarf, if it weren't for an elderly warlord dwarf known as Fwalin Cinderspoke, a greybeard and rebel himself, who took him under his wing. Although old, he taught Unkirk the proper way to notice things, and be a good guard. Hence, Unkirk's advanced perception. He also gifted the young soldier with his blade (the defensive sword +1). Weeks before they sealed the gate, Fwalin went missing and was labeled a criminal after he publically denounced the proposed sealing of the gates.

Appearance and Personality:
    Unkirk Bolderfast is a squat, hard-boiled, hard-muscled dwarf with tanned, bronzed skin like leather. His head is completely shaved, and he wears his red beard tightly braided and folded upon himself. He is rarely seen without his helmet. He takes to humming, bawdy soldier ditties during battles, where his personality comes to shine. Outside of combat, he is quiet and reserved, and often embarassed by his lack of proper social etiquette and training. He has a huge, white and blue tattoo of a mountain on his back. His hands are scarred from having a brazier turned over onto him as a child. His eyes are large, and blue, and his brows are often furrowed in suspicion. Although highly suspicious of "outsiders" (those outside the Dwarven strongholds, even though he fails to see that he himself is the outsider), Unkirk has a soft spot for beggars, outcasts, broken things, and people generally considered different than the group.

jcpillars on
  • Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I'll take submissions until tomorrow after work and then pick the team. Might be able to post the intro and get things started tomorrow night or saturday, although I won't necessarily expect active participation to start until sunday or monday, as originally planned.

Let me know if I missed somebody.

Submitted thus far:

Leaders
    Korren - Warlord (SkyCaptain)
    Dolo - Artificer (Anialos)

Defenders
    Metzger - Paladin (The Muffin Man)
    Aspen - Warden (wildwood)
    Jahl - Battlemind (Grog)
    Unkirk - Fighter (jcpillars)

Controllers
    Mazda - Wizard (Aegis)

Strikers
    Saren -Monk (Z0re)
    Damakos - Avenger (Anon the Felon)
    Kaz - Rogue (razorwired)

Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Controllers, apparently the rarest of breeds.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    I might submit a normal type character that's a controller. Since I actually do want to play in this game and Damakos seems to not be well received.

• Options
    Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    I might submit a normal type character that's a controller. Since I actually do want to play in this game and Damakos seems to not be well received.

8->

As a newbish DM who's a little leery of this online campaign business, I would appreciate it. One less thing, you know.

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Damn, looking at that list, if we only had a cleric then the archetypal Fighter/Rogue/Wizard/Cleric combination would be possible!

Characters
  • Options
    We only need like two defenders max.
    The rest of you go home.

• Options
    Do I get extra consideration if one or more of Kaz's regular personas gets VIP treatment at several local bawdy-houses?

Also which Defender has the lowest INT? They usually make the biggest chumps most valiant protectors.

• Options
    The rest of you go home.

I don't know, it might be handy to have a leader around sometimes... :)

• Options
    The rest of you go home.

I challenge you to a dewel. ::sharpens his sword against the helmets of the men he has slain:

On guard!
    Rolls Initiative: 12 http://4e.orokos.com/roll/46340

• Options
    jcpillars wrote:
    The rest of you go home.

I challenge you to a dewel. ::sharpens his sword against the helmets of the men he has slain:

On guard!
    Rolls Initiative: 12 http://4e.orokos.com/roll/46340

Dude, seriously, let's not. A duel between defenders would take fucking forever... :)

• Options
    See, this defender goes looking for a fight, whereas I'm just trying to keep you guys safe!
    I'm totally the better choice.

• Options
    edited July 2011
    ::points his sword down warily:: Obviously, the three of us defenders are the only ones awake in this land falling to pieces. The three of us, Paladin, Fighter, and Warden, must strike out in this land like a trio of renegades. The three defenders!

Join me my brothers! We don't need any leaders! We don' t need any cowardly strikers!

jcpillars on
  • Options
    jcpillars wrote:
    The three of us, Paladin, Fighter, and Warden, must strike out in this land like a trio of renegades. The three defenders!

Join me my brothers! We don't need any leaders! We don' t need any cowardly strikers!

No, we'd just need three months to get through any combat! :)

• Options
    This is true.

::hangs his head down dejectedly, with tears in his eyes, he looks to the horizon as the world is burning::

So true...

• Options
    That`s why Asha Catari failed the Defiant in Telara`s future and they had to build the time machine to send the created Ascendant back in time to save the day. She didn`t take any healers or dps. Silly defenders.

• Options
    But Asha is a Mage.

• Options
    That`s even worse then. -_-

• Options
    Glorious Team!
    Korren - Warlord @SkyCaptain
    Metzger - Paladin @The Muffin Man
    Aspen - Warden @wildwood
    Unkirk - Fighter @jcpillars
    Mazda - Wizard @Aegis
    Kaz - Rogue @razorwired

Glorious Bench!
    Dolo - Artificer (Anialos)
    Jahl - Battlemind (Grog)
    Saren -Monk (Z0re)
    Damakos - Avenger (Anon the Felon)

If those picked for the first team could post or PM me confirming their continued interest, that would be fantastic. If I haven't heard from someone by Tuesday I'll promote someone from the bench. I'll also contact people from the bench in the inevitable case of people disappearing during the campaign. If you're going to be away from the game for more than a couple of days, drop me a note. If someone disappears for more than, say, 5 days with no word, a piano will be dropped on their characters head. Gotta keep things moving. The end of the world waits for no man.

This thread will be the OOC thread for the campaign. I'll start the IC thread tonight or tomorrow, and hopefully things will be rolling along by monday. Thanks, everyone, for your interest.

• Options
    Reporting for Warlord duty!

• Options
    edited July 2011
    @Tiger Burning paladin reportin' in

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    Huzzah! Looks like it will be fun times.

Characters
  • Options
    Murlo Stonecutter Kaz reporting in.