As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia...Also AP Bio, The Mick, and Mythic Quest

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Charlie is constantly the only person you can remotely root for in the gang. But they seem to be pushing that way even harder lately. Between his Jersey Shore moment with the Waitress, his working crazy hard to keep the bar successful while everyone else just planned what to do with the money, his getting screwed by Mac in this latest episode when Mac tattles. I mean, normally he was the most sympathetic but lately they are actually painting him as more and more a good guy who has a fucked up life.

I guess maybe they always did that. But, this season he seems to be getting some positive notes, so it comes off as him earning it a bit.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    they're just coming out and saying a whole lot they usually just infer

not complaining though

maybe a lot is an overstatement

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Options
    y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    completely did not expect any actual revenge to be had but by god did I want them to succeed

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I loved the way
    they revealed dennis. it was exactly what organichu was talking about. it slowly dawns on you that he's obviously just a psychopath and then they make sure you know

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i lost track of how many call-backs they made in that episode. was it too many? not sure yet. definitely liked part 1 a lot more than part 2 though. i need a second viewing of both

there were some great mac moments
    his responses to being fingered as the one who banged Dennis' prom date
    reaction to Psycho Pete being a real psycho

y2jake215 on
    C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not sure if we really need to be spoilering but I'm gonna keep doing it

I thought schmitty was used perfectly

• Options
    GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    I'm not sure if we really need to be spoilering but I'm gonna keep doing it

I thought schmitty was used perfectly
    Haha absolutely.

Also Dennis's secret compartment. Shit.

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I need my tools!

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I think the video camera made it way more creepier than it would have been otherwise. It just doesn't leave any doubt that he's a probable rapist.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    oh my god

dennis' loud, awkward rant about being the golden god of the school

it was so amazing and awkward that i paused and unpaused several times

took me 5 minutes of cringing and laughing to get through those 15 seconds

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Man, that episode went from hilarious to depressing. I feel sorry for the Gang.

Mac, Charlie, Dennis, and Dee all took a huge beating in high school and never recovered from it; they may be broken sociopaths, but they became that way (at least in part) because of how other people treated them. The main thing I'm going to remember from this episode won't be any of the jokes; instead, it will be the line "Let's go back to the bar. We can hide from the world in the bar."

I'm very concerned with how this series will end. Rob McElhenney is leading everyone to believe that the Gang will end up self-destructing, and maybe realistically they would, but goddamn it, I want to see them salvage their lives.

Hexmage-PA on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    oh my god

dennis' loud, awkward rant about being the golden god of the school

it was so amazing and awkward that i paused and unpaused several times

took me 5 minutes of cringing and laughing to get through those 15 seconds

I had to cover my eyes it was so hard to watch. Just imagining someone do that in real life makes me embarrassed for them.

And man, I was waiting for Charlie to bash Schmit's head in with the boom box. As soon as he jumped into the frame and started c-blocking Charlie I knew what was going to happen. Still, after the night they went through though, I was hoping Charlie would snap.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hexmage-PA wrote:
    Man, that episode went from hilarious to depressing. I feel sorry for the Gang.

Mac, Charlie, Dennis, and Dee all took a huge beating in high school and never recovered from it; they may be broken sociopaths, but they became that way (at least in part) because of how other people treated them. The main thing I'm going to remember from this episode won't be any of the jokes; instead, it will be the line "Let's go back to the bar. We can hide from the world in the bar."

Eh, I mean, Dee and Charlie may have taken a bit of undeserved punishment in highschool, but Mac and more specifically Dennis seemed like they earned it. Mac was a rat and Dennis was delusional and crazy weird.

Not to mention the fact that the gang DID hang with the popular kids regardless. Charlie was their silly class clown, eat stuff for attention guy, and Mac was their drug dealer. I mean, they were treated sort of poorly, but only in contrast to the absolute top of the popularity food chain. I mean look at Cricket. He was clearly below them. We havent seen anything to indicate their highschool experience was that bad, they simply weren't the coolest kids. Plus look at Fatty-Mcgoo, she turned things around despite having it as bad as Dee.

I like what they have done with Dennis, but it makes things a bit strange in retrospect. I mean, he has always sort of actually been the "golden god" he claims to be. And not just within the context of the group. The DENNIS system is largely successful. The Waitress has always treated him as though he was popular and she was into him. Re-watching old episodes with the context that Dennis was never popular, and is just crazy... well itll be interesting.

I have a feeling Charlie, and perhaps Dee will get a moderately happy ending. Mac and Dennis are fucked.

Sociopath Dennis is again the highlight of the episode. I loved the retread of his rant during the Fraternity episode. "Idiots!" And I hope we meet Pyscho Pete, but I have a feeling that will be saved for the series finale, and that will be how the gang goes out.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote:
    I like what they have done with Dennis, but it makes things a bit strange in retrospect. I mean, he has always sort of actually been the "golden god" he claims to be. And not just within the context of the group. The DENNIS system is largely successful. The Waitress has always treated him as though he was popular and she was into him. Re-watching old episodes with the context that Dennis was never popular, and is just crazy... well itll be interesting.
    I don't know, I think it fits pretty well. The first three parts of the DENNIS system essentially involve Dennis putting up a completely false facade, so why wouldn't it work?

As for his popularity, well he's still an OK looking guy, but when he doesn't rein himself in his egotism comes forward pretty quickly. As a teenager, egotism is pretty normal and can be a good substitute for actual confidence, so someone like the Waitress thinking he's great fits pretty well as she clearly doesn't like herself at all.

And within the context of the group, Dennis thinks he's awesome and everyone in the gang is usually inclined to believe whatever they're told or think is true...we really saw that with Charlie in these two episodes.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    "I had a thyroid condition; what's your excuse?"

Such an amazing episode. Charlie doing a Captain Morgan pose while hanging on the bathroom stall, Dennis' secret compartment and the slow reveal of his madness, the freight train initiation...
    But the whole overproduced dance number dissolving into a bleak, sweaty reality was just the perfect ending to an excellent season. And Schmitty's prophesized appearance just felt so right.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    Gosprey wrote:
    Disrupter wrote:
    I don't know, I think it fits pretty well. The first three parts of the DENNIS system essentially involve Dennis putting up a completely false facade, so why wouldn't it work?

As for his popularity, well he's still an OK looking guy, but when he doesn't rein himself in his egotism comes forward pretty quickly. As a teenager, egotism is pretty normal and can be a good substitute for actual confidence, so someone like the Waitress thinking he's great fits pretty well as she clearly doesn't like herself at all.

And within the context of the group, Dennis thinks he's awesome and everyone in the gang is usually inclined to believe whatever they're told or think is true...we really saw that with Charlie in these two episodes.

Yeah, I'm not saying it doesn't fit with the series, there are some inconsistancies, but they can be explained (as you did). I'm just saying it'll be fun to rewatch older episodes with the knowledge that Dennis was never really popular and has always been insane. It puts a different spin on things.

I do have trouble believing that Dennis was always intended to have NOT been popular. I think that is a relatively new (maybe a few seasons) development. He was clearly meant to actually have been popular at first. But this is way better. The only thing I have trouble making fit is why Dee wouldn't have called him out on it? She isn't one to buy into his BS. But maybe from her perspective he WAS popular back then.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    Probably because Dennis is fiendishly vicious when challenged. Hell, even in this ep he destroys her when she announces her part in the plan for revenge. Also she's been tagging along all her life, she's only maybe one rung above Gail the Snail.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    This episode seemed only a couple steps away from being the finale the series ultimately deserved.

Dennis could have gone in with his "tools," and stuff could have gone down from which no amount of hiding from the world in their bar would fix.

I was very uncomfortable at moments of this episode, despite how funny it was.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I imagine he got laid a lot which for mac and charlie would have made him super cool regardless of anything else.

Variable on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Gosprey wrote:
    Disrupter wrote:
    Yeah I always figured that Dennis just massively exaggerated how cool he was. I mean, his only competition was Mac and Charlie so it wasn't exactly hard to win the coolness competition. We very rarely see him have any actual success with women on the show- I think the only one who actually has sex with him is the Waitress, who is also very troubled.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Pi-r8 wrote:
    Gosprey wrote:
    Disrupter wrote:
    Yeah I always figured that Dennis just massively exaggerated how cool he was. I mean, his only competition was Mac and Charlie so it wasn't exactly hard to win the coolness competition. We very rarely see him have any actual success with women on the show- I think the only one who actually has sex with him is the Waitress, who is also very troubled.

the pharmacist? the dozens of sex tapes?

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    Pi-r8 wrote:
    Gosprey wrote:
    Disrupter wrote:

the dude with long blond hair and the fat black guy?
    "HOW'S THAT ASS FEEL"

C8Ft8GE.jpg
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Holy shit, that episode was horrifying. Exactly as intended, I imagine.

• Options
    Dennis has always come across as crazy. He was the cool guy to the gang and the waitress, not exactly sterling examples of popularity or sanity. Even Fatty McGoo was less than impressed when he showed up at her shop and that was before he pulled out the drawings.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    That was AMAZING! I knew something was up with the dance number because of the sound mixing. The overemphasized gesture sounds, and the huge michael jackson scream melt into a tired shout and limpid dance moves. So fucking brilliant.

Also, is Dennis a murderer? The way he was saying "I need my tools" makes it seem like the S&M thing might be a cover up.

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    Pi-r8 wrote:
    Gosprey wrote:
    Disrupter wrote:

well when he actually listened to one of the sex tape, it turned out to be a 16 year old girl that he never really had sex with. I guess he did sleep with the pharmacist, but then she later rejected him.

• Options
    EH, Mac has watched plenty of his actual sex tapes (non audio) and he doesn't like the closeup ball on ass thing Dennis has going on. Then again, since that shot is used, they could NOT be his tapes.

But there have been other girls, including the hippie chick he bangs while her boyfriend is chained to a tree. Plus with Mac and Frank adding on their own ends to the DENNIS system, it is heavily implied that it has worked quite a bit. And with Mac walking in on Dennis with girls, he at least gets them back to his place, locks the door for their saftey and comforts them when the implication of harm may come their way.

It is possible that Dennis is a serial killer at this point, perhaps inspired by when they thought Mac was, and he and dee dressed up and stalked the waitress. Was it him or Dee that forgot they werent actually going to kill her and got bummed, I remember it being him. Because, what was Dennis going to do with his "tools" if they were just for bondage? I can't wait for future hints that he has murdered folks.

616610-1.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Podly wrote:
    That was AMAZING! I knew something was up with the dance number because of the sound mixing. The overemphasized gesture sounds, and the huge michael jackson scream melt into a tired shout and limpid dance moves. So fucking brilliant.

Also, is Dennis a murderer? The way he was saying "I need my tools" makes it seem like the S&M thing might be a cover up.

Rapist.

"Okay, well I'm not going to take no for an answer because I just refuse to do that because I'm a winner and winners... we don't listen to words like "no" or "don't" or "stop!" Those words are just not in our vocabulary."

and

Dennis: Think about it. She's out in the middle of nowhere with some dude she barely knows. She looks around her, what does she see? Nothing but open ocean. "Oh, there's nowhere for me to run, what am I gonna do, say no?"
    Mac: Okay...that seems really dark though.
    Dennis: No, no, it's not dark. You're misunderstanding me, bro.
    Mac: I think I am.
    Dennis:Yeah, you are. 'Cause if the girl said no, then the answer obviously is no. The thing is that she's not gonna say no, she'd never say no...because of the implication.
    Mac: Now, you said that word "implication" a couple of times. What implication?
    Dennis: The implication that things might go wrong for her if she refuses to sleep with me. Now, not that things are gonna go wrong for her, but she's thinking that they will.
    Mac: But it sounds like she doesn't wanna have sex with you.
    Dennis: Why aren't you understanding this? She doesn't know whether she wants to have sex with me, that's not the issue.
    Mac: Are you gonna hurt women?
    Dennis: I'm not gonna hurt these women, why would I ever hurt these women? I feel like you're not getting this at all.
    Mac: I'm not getting it.
    Dennis: Goddamn.

Edit: Actually... serial killer.

Invisible on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    is Rob McElhenney buff again? or was that just a flattering camera angle before they cut to depressing reality

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    BandableBandable Registered User regular
    Dennis was also going to sneak into the lawyer's house and have sex with his estranged wife while she sleeps as a "frame bang." The fact that he disputes that this could even be considered rape says a lot.

• Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    is Rob McElhenney buff again? or was that just a flattering camera angle before they cut to depressing reality

it was the best pose/camera angle etc. that he could achieved followed by the actual worst.

I heard he's losing the weight but I doubt it was any actual difference for that one shot.

though I could be completely wrong.

• Options
    lets start the hype train again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wVdk_PCdgE

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    lets start the hype train again
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wVdk_PCdgE

Oh god Xzibit is just perfect for that role.

• Options
    yo dawg i heard you liked dancin

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    Haley Joel looks a hell of a lot like fat Mac.

a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Haley Joel looks a hell of a lot like fat Mac.

That's not Haley Joel; that's actually the man who ate Haley Joey after cutting off his face and stapling it to his own.

• Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    That was pretty good. I needed a laugh after the plumbing bill. Can't wait for the show to return.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    haley joel's voice is perfect.

• Options
    GimGim a tall glass of water Registered User regular
    You don't realize just how much you miss The Lawyer until he comes roaring back into your life.

• Options
    BoredGamerBoredGamer Registered User regular
    Holy hell Mac looks young compared to Fat Mac.

"You see free soup, you make a decision to eat it."

"It's horrible soup."

"Yeah but we made our decision and we cant go back on it."