Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

American Tipsters

12324252628

Posts

  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Don't despair. Not even over the fact that you don't despair.Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Sarcasm detectors are broken I guess.....

    What you said wasn't sarcasm. Everything you've said in this thread has been equivalent to "I'm a cheapskate and I refuse to tip specifically in the U.S."

    So, um, how are we supposed to interpret "yes, but only in the U.S. and Canada" except at face value?

    I refuse to tip, but decency is not gone. I still value human beings and don't hate places. If I don't tip in the US does it mean iI hate it? No, it still has some sort of value.

    try again. refusing to pay someone for their labor is not decent in any way shape or form, and shows you do not value them as a human being if you're willing to put your nebulous principles above their ability to pay their bills.

    refusing to tip is relegating someone that's doing an honest day's work to 2.15 an hour in most cases, and is indisputably a selfish and dick move to do.

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    try again. refusing to pay someone for their labor is not decent in any way shape or form, and shows you do not value them as a human being if you're willing to put your nebulous principles above their ability to pay their bills.

    I'm going to guess that someone who still believes in a tribal caste system in the 21st century has a far different view of the relative value of his fellow humans than you or I do.

  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Drez wrote:
    Sarcasm detectors are broken I guess.....

    What you said wasn't sarcasm. Everything you've said in this thread has been equivalent to "I'm a cheapskate and I refuse to tip specifically in the U.S."

    So, um, how are we supposed to interpret "yes, but only in the U.S. and Canada" except at face value?

    I refuse to tip, but decency is not gone.

    You're just a jerk to servers.

    And yes, as it currently stands, not tipping them is you being a jerk to them.

    Quid on
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    He yelled "confounding factors" first! I'm innocent!

    @ronya: No, you are guilty of suggesting that essentially no one tips based on quality of service.

    @Drez, I think this is a misrepresentation of the study, which says that A) People tip. B) They offer a range of tips. C) Quality of service is only a minor factor in tip size, despite the self-reported data. It's not like fact that self-report data is unreliable, both consciously and unconsciously is controversial news.

    Tide goes in. Tide goes out.
    Es-annon NEVA 4GET
  • AistanAistan Registered User regular
    So a friend of mine was staying at a hotel with family recently, and when they were about to leave his sister suggested he leave $5 on the nightstand for the maid. He thought it was strange, and I had never heard of something like that when he asked me about it. He ended up not leaving anything, but I was wondering what all you guys think about that sort of thing?

    steam_sig.png
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Don't despair. Not even over the fact that you don't despair.Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote:
    So a friend of mine was staying at a hotel with family recently, and when they were about to leave his sister suggested he leave $5 on the nightstand for the maid. He thought it was strange, and I had never heard of something like that when he asked me about it. He ended up not leaving anything, but I was wondering what all you guys think about that sort of thing?

    probably appropriate if they do a really good job or if you have a lot of messier than normal people and they clean the room really well

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
  • AsiinaAsiina Registered User regular
    I always leave a tip for the hotel staff, but only at the end of the visit.

  • TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    I don't "leave" the tip in hotels, I give it to the maid directly. Hotels are bigger than resturants and it might be taken by someone else.

    Not to mention that if I left it, they just fold it and put it in my hanged jacket's pocket. They don't assume it's thiers, they just assumed I dropped it or something.

  • AsiinaAsiina Registered User regular
    That's why I leave it at the end, usually with a note on the stationary that's in the room.

  • AistanAistan Registered User regular
    That all makes sense. Neither of us really ever make a mess that bad, but she has a few kids so I can see how it might enter her mind.

    steam_sig.png
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    1) Don't leave your tip only at the end. Maids are often assigned rooms/floors at random which means the maid on the last day may not be the same maid that's been cleaning your room all the other days

    2) I put the money next to a note telling them it's their tip.

    Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If I'm there for a week or more, I'll usually leave a buck or two a day. Often on business trips when I'd have food or stuff where they're cleaning more than the usual bed, towels, etc.

    Mugsley wrote:
    So now I need to get it trimmed and adjusted, and all in.

    Steam:MichaelLC
  • JuliusJulius Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    I know *I* do.

    I, too, know that I do not follow subconscious behaviours that are common across the male population. Because I never sat down and thought: "yeah the service was terrible but she was hot so here is a large tip"

  • JuliusJulius Registered User regular
    Spackler wrote:
    Julius wrote:
    Julius wrote:
    But yeah if you're slipping the bartender a pound note for every pint I imagine they'll give you great service. :P I bet he couldn't believe his luck.

    Buck a beer is standard here. When abroad, I like to pretend that 1 dollar = 1 Euro = 1 frank = 1 pound.

    Not the smartest thing, sometimes, but it saves me a lot of angina. Figuring the dollar to pound conversion can be very stressful in London.

    I get it actually. I generally just spend money on vacation because watching what I spend is for when I'm home. I'm just tickled by the fact that you seriously gave a pound like you didn't know what it was worth.

    It's like giving ten euros for 3 beers here and telling the guy to keep the change.

    Wow. $14 for 3 beers isn't a bad price around here... there might not be any change to leave as a tip.

    Well prices vary between 2.20 and 2.80 a beer usually. It's not an overly large tip actually but bartenders outside the US are generally not used to it.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Julius wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I know *I* do.

    I, too, know that I do not follow subconscious behaviours that are common across the male population. Because I never sat down and thought: "yeah the service was terrible but she was hot so here is a large tip'

    However I have sat and thought "well, the service was terrible but the server is hot; too bad she couldnt get her shit together tonight" and then I left 15% which is the bare minimum I ever leave anyone

    So, yes, I am absolutely positive that I do not sexually discriminate when it comes to deciding how much to tip someone who just provided poor service. Or good service. I've given good male waiters 30%+ tips. And male bartenders.

    But it positively warms my heart that many of you automatically assume the worst in others.

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    @Drez, @Julius, have you ever given a hot, good server a larger tip than you normally would?

    To me, that is a better metric.

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Registered User regular
    As a rule I always tip waiters. Even overtip if they get shit from other customers, ive done that job and it is so thankless.

  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Sarcasm detectors are broken I guess.....

    What you said wasn't sarcasm. Everything you've said in this thread has been equivalent to "I'm a cheapskate and I refuse to tip specifically in the U.S."

    So, um, how are we supposed to interpret "yes, but only in the U.S. and Canada" except at face value?

    I refuse to tip, but decency is not gone. I still value human beings and don't hate places. If I don't tip in the US does it mean iI hate it? No, it still has some sort of value.

    try again. refusing to pay someone for their labor is not decent in any way shape or form, and shows you do not value them as a human being if you're willing to put your nebulous principles above their ability to pay their bills.

    refusing to tip is relegating someone that's doing an honest day's work to 2.15 an hour in most cases, and is indisputably a selfish and dick move to do.

    People keep throwing this up throughout the thread despite the fact that it's been refuted, companies are legally required to pay at least minimum wage, if you work for a dickish, shady restaurant that's going to illegally refuse to pay you if your tips don't bring you up to minimum wage it's not the customers fault that you picked an employer who breaks the law

    WII U NNID- talios
    steam-taliosfalcon
    XBL-AdeptPenguin
  • ChanusChanus Sugoi! ^_____^Registered User regular
    People keep throwing this up throughout the thread despite the fact that it's been refuted, companies are legally required to pay at least minimum wage, if you work for a dickish, shady restaurant that's going to illegally refuse to pay you if your tips don't bring you up to minimum wage it's not the customers fault that you picked an employer who breaks the law

    I think the misconception is that they somehow follow you around every hour and make sure you made at least minimum wage. It's most often the case that you need to average minimum wage over the entire week... meaning your rocking Saturday night skews the entire rest of the week, so most days, yes, you may only be making $2.15/hr if some douche doesn't tip.

    **Winner Softest and Most Comfy Hugs Award Summer 2018**

    Blueberrywerewlf on the Sony Anime Games Box | BluberryWerewlf on the BroBone
  • JuliusJulius Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Julius wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I know *I* do.

    I, too, know that I do not follow subconscious behaviours that are common across the male population. Because I never sat down and thought: "yeah the service was terrible but she was hot so here is a large tip'

    However I have sat and thought "well, the service was terrible but the server is hot; too bad she couldnt get her shit together tonight" and then I left 15% which is the bare minimum I ever leave anyone

    So, yes, I am absolutely positive that I do not sexually discriminate when it comes to deciding how much to tip someone who just provided poor service. Or good service. I've given good male waiters 30%+ tips. And male bartenders.

    But it positively warms my heart that many of you automatically assume the worst in others.

    Look. If I sat down with a thousand employers and asked them if they had ever discriminated based on skin colour or sex, consciously or not, they would all say no and they would believe it. I like to think that I've never tipped anyone more based on their attractiveness too, but I'd not be as idiotic to say I am sure.

    You can really believe yourself, shit you could actually be right but the sheer arrogance of a claim to certainty is almost proof that you aren't actually aware of what you're talking about. To assert that you always know your subconscious or that you are always able to ignore it is fucking hubris.

    The reason anecdotal experience does not work as evidence is not just because it is but a glimpse of an issue, it is because humans are incredibly, fantastically unreliable. It's not that they're lying, it's that they usually have reinterpreted the event to fit within their previously held beliefs.


    Assuming the worst in others doesn't even come into it, it is assuming that you are human and therefore unreliable in your singularity.

  • QuidQuid I don't... what... hnnng Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    People keep throwing this up throughout the thread despite the fact that it's been refuted, companies are legally required to pay at least minimum wage, if you work for a dickish, shady restaurant that's going to illegally refuse to pay you if your tips don't bring you up to minimum wage it's not the customers fault that you picked an employer who breaks the law

    I think the misconception is that they somehow follow you around every hour and make sure you made at least minimum wage. It's most often the case that you need to average minimum wage over the entire week... meaning your rocking Saturday night skews the entire rest of the week, so most days, yes, you may only be making $2.15/hr if some douche doesn't tip.

    No, it's measured daily.

  • LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Quid wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Sarcasm detectors are broken I guess.....

    What you said wasn't sarcasm. Everything you've said in this thread has been equivalent to "I'm a cheapskate and I refuse to tip specifically in the U.S."

    So, um, how are we supposed to interpret "yes, but only in the U.S. and Canada" except at face value?

    I refuse to tip, but decency is not gone.

    You're just a jerk to servers.

    And yes, as it currently stands, not tipping them is you being a jerk to them.
    What I love about this whole exchange is that this poster previously stated that sarcasm was the refuge of the uneducated underclass(or something to that effect) in the higher education thread.

    Anyways, tipping has always been a pretty easy decision for me, tip when service is decent to good within a 10 to 15 percent margin(sometimes more). I don't even really look at my servers all that much so attractiveness if fairly irrelevant.

    Lucid on
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    When I go to America I will not tip because I am foreign and do not understand their culture.

    I will have to explain to them that in my culture, I am a dickhead and they need to respect this.

    Anyway a serious question.

    At least in movies way back when tipping used to be 10% as a standard. Nowdays it seems people are saying 15% or even 20% is the norm.

    Now theoretically, restaurant food prices, should follow inflation pretty closely as food product is one of the driving forces of inflation.

    This means as the cost of living goes up if the food prices go up the waitstaff's salary should automatically go up, as they are paid as a percentage.

    Now my question is, how come their pay has effectively doubled (if you consider 20%, increased by 50% if they are consistently tipped 15%) after cost of living has been factored in.

  • ToxTox I kill threads Punch DimensionRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Now my question is, how come their pay has effectively doubled (if you consider 20%, increased by 50% if they are consistently tipped 15%) after cost of living has been factored in.

    Basically the same reason sales tax is so much higher than it used to be. For whatever reason, standard percentages of inflating amounts of money don't seem to work, or at least they don't seem to stay there.

    Part of it, also, may be that "tipped-minimum wage" hasn't kept up. When minimum wage goes up, tip-credit wage doesn't go up even half as much, meaning a larger portion of your tips are being counted toward your actual wage. Also, with credit cards becoming more prevalent, larger portions of an earner's tips are required to be reported (most companies only require servers to report a less-than-100% amount of their tips), so they need to get more to keep up.


    .....I think

    Wishlists! General | Gaming | Comics | Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • VanguardVanguard Je suis le savant au fauteuil sombre. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I usually tip 20%. You really have to fuck up my dining experience to get less. If I have to remind you that I did in fact order something or you're rude, it will affect your tip. On two occasions, I've left nothing. I also left a note explaining why the tip column on the receipt has nothing in it.

  • DrukDruk Registered User
    OK, so if the thing is to tip a certain % because without that %, the servers will have financial hardship,
    why not base tips based on the ratio of living wage to minimum wage in that area?

  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I tip between 10% and 20% depending on where I'm eating and how good the service was. To a large extent I don't use a percentage for the final tip but rather as a baseline dollar amount that I might adjust up or down depending on the establishment/service. It generally comes out to about 18% if I think about it.

    One thing is that I try to be aware of managers/people in charge who might be taking my table and only give them 10% max. They are generally salaried/don't have the wage reduction so I feel it's unfair to give them the regular tip size, but I still like to give a little "thank you".

    Disclaimer: I work at a restaurant.

    Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

  • chidonachidona Registered User regular
    Coming from an English P.O.V, my tipping is based on a couple of criteria, chief among those are my ability to pay (sorry guys, but if I'm strapped for cash then I'm not going to put myself out any more than I can afford to) and service offered (if you do a shitty job, then you'll get nothing, end of). When I do tip, I'll usually tip a concrete amount instead of a % of the meal - perhaps £10 - £20 if it was exceptional service, £2-£5 for average.

    Then again, we don't have variable minimum wages in the UK (other than by age group), so it's not like I'm leaving the staff in poverty even if I don't tip. I actually feel less inclined to tip somewhat generously when faced with a bill that has a service charge placed on it out of nowhere; it's arrogant, underhand and incredibly rude - I've seen restaurants say 'a 10% tip is recommended', which is fine because it's not trying to sneak an extra £10 out of me.

  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote:
    I usually tip 20%. You really have to fuck up my dining experience to get less. If I have to remind you that I did in fact order something or you're rude, it will affect your tip. On two occasions, I've left nothing. I also left a note explaining why the tip column on the receipt has nothing in it.

    What did you say? You don't have alot of room on those receipts

    steam_sig.png
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    Druk wrote:
    Dracil wrote:

    The comments there mention a few possibly tippable professions; I don't which were covered in this thread. (these are all quotes)
    - child's piano or voice teacher? gymnastics or dance?
    - tips or Christmas gifts for your lawn care providers, landscapers, or snow removal crews?
    - work at an auto parts store. We install batteries, wiper blades and some light bulbs. We are out in the wet, cold and dark working on a vehicle
    - security guard who often works in bad weather. I provide a service too, never once received a tip
    - Hairdressers - cost of the service [100% tip] is ridiculous.
    - Garbagemen?
    - Mail carriers?
    - Teachers?

    Which I agree with. If you're going to keep the culture of tipping you have to extend it out to every single profession that is tippable.

    You want more people to screw?

  • Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    This thread reminds me why I hate my job, also why I hate hostesses. Honestly I've been screwed over more by the girls up front than by the people whose tables I serve.

    Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

    Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Don't despair. Not even over the fact that you don't despair.Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Sarcasm detectors are broken I guess.....

    What you said wasn't sarcasm. Everything you've said in this thread has been equivalent to "I'm a cheapskate and I refuse to tip specifically in the U.S."

    So, um, how are we supposed to interpret "yes, but only in the U.S. and Canada" except at face value?

    I refuse to tip, but decency is not gone. I still value human beings and don't hate places. If I don't tip in the US does it mean iI hate it? No, it still has some sort of value.

    try again. refusing to pay someone for their labor is not decent in any way shape or form, and shows you do not value them as a human being if you're willing to put your nebulous principles above their ability to pay their bills.

    refusing to tip is relegating someone that's doing an honest day's work to 2.15 an hour in most cases, and is indisputably a selfish and dick move to do.

    People keep throwing this up throughout the thread despite the fact that it's been refuted, companies are legally required to pay at least minimum wage, if you work for a dickish, shady restaurant that's going to illegally refuse to pay you if your tips don't bring you up to minimum wage it's not the customers fault that you picked an employer who breaks the law

    this is NOT an excuse in any way. if most of your tables still tip, you'll be making above minimum wage, and you'll make $0 on our friendly honor bound fellow. You are very much working for 2.15 an hour for that table, essentially performing work for free for that person because they're miserly or stupid.

    it is the customer's fault for not tipping under reasonable circumstances (at least decent service, food was correct, experience was pleasant). It's indefensible and incredibly rude. just because the restaurant is legally obligated to pay a piddling amount to a server if NONE of their tables tip, it doesn't give assholes an excuse not to tip.

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy Don't despair. Not even over the fact that you don't despair.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    When I go to America I will not tip because I am foreign and do not understand their culture.

    I will have to explain to them that in my culture, I am a dickhead and they need to respect this.

    Anyway a serious question.

    At least in movies way back when tipping used to be 10% as a standard. Nowdays it seems people are saying 15% or even 20% is the norm.

    Now theoretically, restaurant food prices, should follow inflation pretty closely as food product is one of the driving forces of inflation.

    This means as the cost of living goes up if the food prices go up the waitstaff's salary should automatically go up, as they are paid as a percentage.

    Now my question is, how come their pay has effectively doubled (if you consider 20%, increased by 50% if they are consistently tipped 15%) after cost of living has been factored in.

    benefits have become increasingly important when factoring your 'actual' wage, and restaurants almost never offer them to servers

    Elki wrote: »

    Casual Eddy: best poster 2014.
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Casual Eddy: best poster of 2015

    gotta update that stuff man
  • JokermanJokerman Registered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote:
    Vanguard wrote:
    I usually tip 20%. You really have to fuck up my dining experience to get less. If I have to remind you that I did in fact order something or you're rude, it will affect your tip. On two occasions, I've left nothing. I also left a note explaining why the tip column on the receipt has nothing in it.

    What did you say? You don't have alot of room on those receipts

    My sister once wrote "Get a personality".

    In her defense, the service was god fucking awful.

  • UrcbubUrcbub Registered User
    Drez wrote:
    Sarcasm detectors are broken I guess.....

    What you said wasn't sarcasm. Everything you've said in this thread has been equivalent to "I'm a cheapskate and I refuse to tip specifically in the U.S."

    So, um, how are we supposed to interpret "yes, but only in the U.S. and Canada" except at face value?

    I refuse to tip, but decency is not gone. I still value human beings and don't hate places. If I don't tip in the US does it mean iI hate it? No, it still has some sort of value.

    try again. refusing to pay someone for their labor is not decent in any way shape or form, and shows you do not value them as a human being if you're willing to put your nebulous principles above their ability to pay their bills.

    refusing to tip is relegating someone that's doing an honest day's work to 2.15 an hour in most cases, and is indisputably a selfish and dick move to do.

    People keep throwing this up throughout the thread despite the fact that it's been refuted, companies are legally required to pay at least minimum wage, if you work for a dickish, shady restaurant that's going to illegally refuse to pay you if your tips don't bring you up to minimum wage it's not the customers fault that you picked an employer who breaks the law

    And the minimum wage for "tip based" jobs, such as waiting tables, have a lower minimum wage than "regular jobs". In Ohio, the minimum wage for a waitress is $3.25 while the ordinary minimum wage is $6.50 (at least it was in 2008). The reason being that waiters bring in tips at high rates. I think most states have similar laws.

    So yeah, not tipping out of principle is a dick move in the US.

  • Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Urcbub wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Sarcasm detectors are broken I guess.....

    What you said wasn't sarcasm. Everything you've said in this thread has been equivalent to "I'm a cheapskate and I refuse to tip specifically in the U.S."

    So, um, how are we supposed to interpret "yes, but only in the U.S. and Canada" except at face value?

    I refuse to tip, but decency is not gone. I still value human beings and don't hate places. If I don't tip in the US does it mean iI hate it? No, it still has some sort of value.

    try again. refusing to pay someone for their labor is not decent in any way shape or form, and shows you do not value them as a human being if you're willing to put your nebulous principles above their ability to pay their bills.

    refusing to tip is relegating someone that's doing an honest day's work to 2.15 an hour in most cases, and is indisputably a selfish and dick move to do.

    People keep throwing this up throughout the thread despite the fact that it's been refuted, companies are legally required to pay at least minimum wage, if you work for a dickish, shady restaurant that's going to illegally refuse to pay you if your tips don't bring you up to minimum wage it's not the customers fault that you picked an employer who breaks the law

    And the minimum wage for "tip based" jobs, such as waiting tables, have a lower minimum wage than "regular jobs". In Ohio, the minimum wage for a waitress is $3.25 while the ordinary minimum wage is $6.50 (at least it was in 2008). The reason being that waiters bring in tips at high rates. I think most states have similar laws.

    So yeah, not tipping out of principle is a dick move in the US.

    Here's a table of tipped employee minimum wage rates by state.

    http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

  • VanguardVanguard Je suis le savant au fauteuil sombre. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Jokerman wrote:
    Smaug6 wrote:
    Vanguard wrote:
    I usually tip 20%. You really have to fuck up my dining experience to get less. If I have to remind you that I did in fact order something or you're rude, it will affect your tip. On two occasions, I've left nothing. I also left a note explaining why the tip column on the receipt has nothing in it.

    What did you say? You don't have alot of room on those receipts

    My sister once wrote "Get a personality".

    In her defense, the service was god fucking awful.

    On one occasion, I wrote "nothing" in the tip column and underlined it. At the bottom of the receipt I wrote, "It shouldn't take longer to get my change than eat my food."

    Seriously. On that occasion it took our waitress 45 minutes to get us our cards back. We even asked the bartender if he could just cash us out, but he refused. Shit like that is unacceptable.

  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Gah I love seeing tipping threads and such. I hate HATE tipping with a passion. I think it's a horrible practice. On the flip side though I am a stupidly huge tipper like in the 25%-50% zone and if I see a tip jar I usually drop most of my reasonable change for the transaction in it. I have been called out on how silly I am when I do this. Then again I can't math when I feel good and I feel like making someone else feeling good too. I also kinda don't like eating out much since it tends to be super expensive for me and I loathe tipping time.

    I fall in to the part where either everyone gets tips or no one gets tips if it's going to be our stupid custom. The price for the service is final and your official pay is what you get when you agreed to take the job. Every job is a service to another person. I also consider tips should be a prior to service thing even though I don't practice it. Like here is a $20 sir so make sure I get the best service before this is all done.

    Like I remember when I was a life guard as a teen and I would sometimes be offered a tip. I staunchly refused them all the time (I wasn't supposed to receive them either but still). My job is to keep the pool clean and save your fucking life if something happens. I am already getting paid to provide this service for you no matter how awesome it would be to $30 extra to the maybe $14 I officially made that day.

    I feel like tipping is shady as fuck in a modern society. All I hear on the matter is "You gotta do it man. You gotta tip. It's the human law. These poor people are getting fucked in pay and it's up to you to help them." And I am just like fuuuuuuuuck alright but this shit has got to change.

    steam_sig.png
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Urcbub wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Sarcasm detectors are broken I guess.....

    What you said wasn't sarcasm. Everything you've said in this thread has been equivalent to "I'm a cheapskate and I refuse to tip specifically in the U.S."

    So, um, how are we supposed to interpret "yes, but only in the U.S. and Canada" except at face value?

    I refuse to tip, but decency is not gone. I still value human beings and don't hate places. If I don't tip in the US does it mean iI hate it? No, it still has some sort of value.

    try again. refusing to pay someone for their labor is not decent in any way shape or form, and shows you do not value them as a human being if you're willing to put your nebulous principles above their ability to pay their bills.

    refusing to tip is relegating someone that's doing an honest day's work to 2.15 an hour in most cases, and is indisputably a selfish and dick move to do.

    People keep throwing this up throughout the thread despite the fact that it's been refuted, companies are legally required to pay at least minimum wage, if you work for a dickish, shady restaurant that's going to illegally refuse to pay you if your tips don't bring you up to minimum wage it's not the customers fault that you picked an employer who breaks the law

    And the minimum wage for "tip based" jobs, such as waiting tables, have a lower minimum wage than "regular jobs". In Ohio, the minimum wage for a waitress is $3.25 while the ordinary minimum wage is $6.50 (at least it was in 2008). The reason being that waiters bring in tips at high rates. I think most states have similar laws.

    So yeah, not tipping out of principle is a dick move in the US.

    Here's a table of tipped employee minimum wage rates by state.

    http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm
    You guys are misinterpreting it,
    Those are the minimum wages that have to be paid assuming their tips bring them over the minimum wage err..minimum . So if someone makes 20$ off of tips, the employer still has to pay them the values in that table, if their tips don't make the federal minimum the employer has to pay the difference, and the minimum federal is 7.25


    http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

    WII U NNID- talios
    steam-taliosfalcon
    XBL-AdeptPenguin
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    We also raised the point that the entire restaurant industry in the US is shady as hell.

    I've had plenty of low-paying jobs, but serving at a casual-dining restaurant was the only place that I saw people get fired routinely, even for isolated fuck-ups. Mostly, I remember people deserving it, but in an at-will employment market, that doesn't really matter. While I have not personally seen it, I can easily imagine a restaurant firing a server who, by sheer bad luck, does not make enough in tips to cover their own wages a few too many times.

    SteamID : same as my PA forum name
Sign In or Register to comment.