As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dragons Nest] New Nexon MMO Open Beta starts today!

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I'd love it if my 360 controller actually worked. As it stands, Dragon Nest is literally the only game I own that refuses to accept any level of input from my controller by default. I've swapped over to the gamepad, which it supposedly recognizes, but nothing works. I've also tried setting up a custom control scheme, but nope, can't do that, either. I'll probably just wind up using xpadder or something despite a more elegant, far less clunky option sitting right in front of me that I simply can't use just because.

Liquid Ghost on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    huh. worked for me first try. but i didn't like how it played and went back to kbam

jCyyTSo.png
  • F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Worked immediately for me as well, just set the controls to XBOX or whatever. The only real problem I have with the control is with abilities beyond 4.

Edit: Also, guild? Guild???

F87 on
  • RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    After about five hours straight, I can say this game is pretty fun. The combat is no Vindictus, mind, but its engaging enough that I just sat here for five hours. So I can't complain. I'm just really bummed I missed out on the permanent dragon wings because I couldnt play the first day due to work.

My only complaint is having no idea how to build my character. Skill points seem very limited and it seems like I'm apt to somehow screw myself out of a proper build with even one or two mistakes.

Feel free to experiment in the beginning. You get a skill reset once you hit 15 and choose an advanced class. Although, it's worth pointing out that while the current level cap is 24, the final cap will be 40, with another job advancement further down the road once we receive the patch for it. It's worth holding off a bit on some skills to save points for later abilities.

One thing I've noticed, is that most builds people use only put 1-3 points in most skills, because skills in this game scale pretty poorly. Because you only get a few extra percentages of damage, most folks go for having lots of abilities at 1-3 points, rather than a few maxed ones.

Also, I would totally start a guild, but I have no idea what to call it or even how to start the process.

Okay, so I think I figured out how to make a guild. Any idea what we should be called? Penny Arcadians or something? I've been playing most of the day for the last few days so I should be able to invite folks if I make it.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    The guild character limit is pretty small, like 10 max, I think.

Also I made a warrior on Argenta, FedoraFreak.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    edit: I have created ClawShrimp on Argenta.

Whisper Barnago or Riale for a guild invite.

Scosglen on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    If anyone is on the West Coast server, speak up! After I'm nice and drunk tonight, I'll make a guild if nobody has one yet. I can't guarantee a good name due to alcoholic influence.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    So do we have a channel we generally gravitate to on Argenta?

Ah, sorry to miss you, whoever it was on Ehmavisca. I was grabbing a bite to eat, and by the time I saw your whispers you had logged. Hit me up again when you're back on and I'll gladly invite.

I don't know about everyone else, but I've been using 26 because it's usually pretty unpopulated in towns and such.

33c9nxz.gif
  • GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm not really sure what compels me to keep playing this game, but I keep logging in and hitting things.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
    I just got a letter from a minotaur. He made it very clear he wasn't from the cow level.

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    I got a letter from Santa today telling me that my dick was too small and that I should be ashamed of myself for rolling a Cleric in order to DPS in dungeons.

• Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Morvidus wrote:
    I just got a letter from a minotaur. He made it very clear he wasn't from the cow level.

That bastard gave me my first death! I foresee Stunlock being my main reason for dying in future solo runs.

• Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    Who-Psyd wrote:
    Minerva_SC wrote:
    Who-Psyd wrote:
    F87 wrote:
    OK, I tried a solo abyss run of the Assassin's Den. Was not able to finish.

Soloing Master is pushing my skills so I would think even trying abyss alone would be suicide.

Master is a joke with upgraded gear. My lv10 archer has around 2300 hp and only the toughest enemies hit for over 100 at the moment, and that's if they can even get to me. Longbow is broken as hell, free piercing shot every 2-3 shots, makes killing the hordes of mobs so easy. Just got to assasins Den, will maybe try it on abyss tommorow.

Also, my leveling has slowed to a crawl. Maybe it's because I ran out of prw, but it takes sooo long to level now. I just wanna hirry up and hit 15. :(

double also, is mana a joke for anyone else? I have 2k+ mana and my abilities cost...like..nothing. I literally spam them and my bar pretty much never moves. Potions seem pretty pointless, but maybe it's just because I'm still low level. But I don't see ability mana costs shooting up so much that it would be noticeable.
    My first Master Run was actually unupgraded gear, the crap from Quests mostly. That took a bit though my combos were silly high.

Anyone else finding it easier to get a better grade on levels the higher the difficulty is set? I do not think I have gotten less then SSS on a Master run yet.

I don't completely remember why but I think it has to do with how many people are in your party with master and I guess abyss. soloing a master dungeon is pretty much guaranteed double or triple S.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Playin my archer like an acrobat and rolling Master level dungeons like a boss. I see I shall enjoy this particular brand of play. Kick kick pow.

steam_sig.png
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    I rolled a cleric named Baelon. Not a bad little brawler.

Playin my archer like an acrobat and rolling Master level dungeons like a boss. I see I shall enjoy this particular brand of play. Kick kick pow.

What little of Acrobot I have access to is more of that only BETTER. Also every other skill is activated during a Tumble or while jumping. My first level of Acrobat I learned 3 new attacks, only one has to be placed on my Hotbar.

edited July 2011
    Cleric feels like cheating.

The job advancement quest was damn cool. I kinda felt like a Jedi, protecting beliefs and removing emotion and all that.

West coast guild called Foxhound is up. Whisper Kyira, Lyral, or Morvidian.

Morvidus on
    made a second guild :p FireFerret, ask Owlowiscious for an invite

jCyyTSo.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Hit level 10 before my first day empowerment ran out, figure that's a good a time as any to stop for the day.

Playing a Cleric, probably going Paladin once I have that option.

Wait, how many guilds are there now? it's silly to fracture the playerbase this much when there's only like 10 or 12 of us playing. I'd really love to do 4man runs with some like minded people.

33c9nxz.gif
    i'm gonna leave mine it's only temp. just tired of it being like 3 days and still haven't partied once iwth anyone

jCyyTSo.png
    edited July 2011
    I just soloed Dread Forest on Abyss with SSS rank, and all I got was a Low Grade Onyx Spark and some High Fat Milk...

That was a gold chest, too.

Morvidus on
    are you sure it wasn't bronze? bronze and gold look awfully close, and I just did that exact mission and got all bronze chests even with SSS

33c9nxz.gif
    so...dimensional box keys. what are they for.

I'm dead serious."
    Abyss runs. You need them to open certain rabbit boxes.

ahh yeah, just did my first abyss run in the assassins den. Had to use my gifted potions, but whatever.

I'm dead serious."
    So enhancing equipment

Gearing up, at least for weapons, is 100% based on what the best enhanced item you can get is.

It reminds me of PSO/PSU a bit, in that high level gear enhanced to +10 or higher is going to command completely absurd prices. I am absolutely convinced the market is going to 100% revolve around enhanced weapons. (Armor less so, since it seems to just add health and mana, which while nice, has less of an impact than enhanced weapons)

As east as it is to get the gems for enhancing, it will revolve around jelly prices.

Also, Priests are broken. Giant lightning rods falling from the sky and blocking corridors stacking combos up to 250 by themselves is just wrong. Makes solo Abyss-ing just laughable.

yeah, i was watching a video earlier from a korean server where a party gets wiped out doing end game content and a saint (third job priest choice) manages to solo one of the hardest bosses in the game over 15 minutes. they seem crazy survivable.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    So I gave this a try, downloading last night and playing a bit before work this morning. Didn't get very far (I think I'm still level 1 in fact, even after finishing the first dungeon), but the Sorceress origin story is pretty amusing, and I kinda like how the trainer is a total bitch to you, since you can give it back at times.

Combat is interesting, and I like being able to kill large numbers of things at one time, but I do miss the destructability of Vindictus' environments. May try another character just to see how it plays... but I'm on the East server since that seems to be where most PAers are going.

• Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    I am in this. Rolled an archer (If you see a Laitera running around, that's me!), it's fun when I don'T get laggy and my arrows takes two seconds to connect.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Did Assassin's Den abyss, wasnt too shabby. Fighting the Red Gale boss fight on Abyss though? Holy crap that was just unreasonably not fun. Pillars of fire everywhere. All the time. 2 red gales + 4 normal harpies = trolololol

steam_sig.png
    Did Assassin's Den abyss, wasnt too shabby. Fighting the Red Gale boss fight on Abyss though? Holy crap that was just unreasonably not fun. Pillars of fire everywhere. All the time. 2 red gales + 4 normal harpies = trolololol

Stunlock! Pretty sure the Fire can be dodged but not figured out how yet.

• RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    if you want stuff out of the extractor, upgrade it to +6 first. Didn't get a single fail out of 10+ items.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
    What does the extractor give you, anyway? Anything useful?

33c9nxz.gif
  • TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    I decided to download this now and give it a shot. Do we have players on all servers? I've read the thread and am still sort of lost on that front.

• GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    I think there is 7-8 of us in the guild on Argentena and someone made a guild on Gerrant but not sure how many people are there. If you get go with Argentena send Glina a whisper and I'll throw you a invite.

Also so far the only thing I've gotten from a Extractor is Comet Dust, which seams to be used to buy Geodes from the blacksmith. From there description are used to +7 - +10 items? maybe instantly enhancing it perhaps? They need 50 dust for the cheapest one and I only have a few so not really sure exactly.

steam_sig.png
    Riale wrote:
    What does the extractor give you, anyway? Anything useful?

The extractor gives currency to buy geodes, and sometimes geodes themselves.

Morvidus wrote:
    As east as it is to get the gems for enhancing, it will revolve around jelly prices.

Also, Priests are broken. Giant lightning rods falling from the sky and blocking corridors stacking combos up to 250 by themselves is just wrong. Makes solo Abyss-ing just laughable.

Fuck, stop making Priest seem attractive, I had already decided on Paladin damnit