As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Dragons Nest] New Nexon MMO Open Beta starts today!

• Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    I hope they at least add Saint's Haven. TO want to see how bad this faction grind is. I hear horrible things.

• Options
    RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    Yeah... Just looking at how slowly the 'friendship points' accrue I can only imagine what the overall faction points are like. The actual leveling rate is surprisingly not grindy so far, at least for a nexon MMO, but I have a feeling the grind will be in the equipment and faction stuff.

Oh well, it's still a blast to log in and blow up enemies for a few hours, so I'm happy. Grinding in this game is a lot less mindless than most.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying it a good bit, but it still kind of just makes me want to logon Vindictus and gank some manz.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I made a cleric and got him to lvl 10 last night. I'm still having fun, actually. My few complaints involve the levels being short still and the difficulty not really ramping up much, though current dungeons are definitely more fun than the previous ones.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    yeah, 24 takes no time at all to hit.

And after you hit it the first time you get a exp bonus on all your other characters so you hit it faster.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I'll admit, playing this game just... made me want to play Vindictus.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    I have so many gifts lying in storage for characters I can't even give gifts to. This is bullshit!

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Maybe it was just me, but when I played Vindictus it felt even more unfinished and grindy than this. Of course, back when I played it there were only two characters, and you were limited on how many runs per day you could do.
    Kyanilis wrote:
    I made a cleric and got him to lvl 10 last night. I'm still having fun, actually. My few complaints involve the levels being short still and the difficulty not really ramping up much, though current dungeons are definitely more fun than the previous ones.

Don't worry, there is still plenty of challenge left for when you get to 15 and start doing abyss runs and the like.

Riale on
    33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    Maybe it was just me, but when I played Vindictus it felt even more unfinished and grindy than this. Of course, back when I played it there were only two characters, and you were limited on how many runs per day you could do.
    Kyanilis wrote:

Don't worry, there is still plenty of challenge left for when you get to 15 and start doing abyss runs and the like.
    The difficulty increases slowly but at least part of your problem is playing Cleric, Cleric is easy mode.

• Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    on that note, our all the classes out in vindictus?

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    Only one left is the one with the bow.

• Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    Kyanilis wrote:

And the load times. Feels like areas take longer to load than to run through. And with upgraded equipment, dungeons so far have either been really easy or just damage spongy.

I have a 10 archer right now and I'm kind of sour on the game. Are any of the other classes especially interesting? Enough to want to go through early stuff again?

• Options
    Cleric and sorceress start in different areas. It gets a little grindy when you get to Carderock. Finish a quest in a dungeon, then the follow up is in the same dungeon, etc.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Morvidus wrote:
    Cleric and sorceress start in different areas. It gets a little grindy when you get to Carderock. Finish a quest in a dungeon, then the follow up is in the same dungeon, etc.

Cleric and Sorceress both start in Mana Ridge, and Warrior and Archer start in Ironwood Village

• Options
    Morvidus wrote:

This does start to happen a bit much, there is one Quest chain that is especially bad at this where you are continually going back to the same dungeon just to talk to a NPC. These seem to be mostly a problem with the Friendship quests or at least those are the ones that tend to do this kind of stuff.

• Options
    I usually used those quest chains to do every difficulty of a dungeon for achievements and titles.

But it's still kind of a drag.

• Options
    Im almost up to 18 and I've never been to a dungeon 'just' for one quest. I usually have two or three, then the one on the sign board outside the dungeon. So I've never been particularly bothered by it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Someone asked for my Sharpshooter build, this is what I plan to have at 40 although I am still undecided if I want that ultimate or the other one.

Ghlinn on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Ghlinn wrote:
    Someone asked for my Sharpshooter build, this is what I plan to have at 40 although I am still undecided if I want that ultimate or the other one.

Know what, think I'll steal it. from the look of it abilities don't scale that well in this game so having more abilities might be more beneficial in the long run.

Also also fuck minotaurs.

edit: "you have beaten the minotaur and gotten an A! now beat him on master" BUT I JUST DID THIS YOU GODDAMNED WARRIOR

Dac Vin on
  • Options
    Ghlinn wrote:

Assuming that your physical damage will be way higher than your magical damage, I'd probably stick with that ultimate.

As for me I'm probably going to focus on the right side of the Paladin tree, get most of the shield related skills. I don't know if I'll go any further than Sacred Hammering on the left side.

• Options
    The name of the game for most classes seems to be grabbing at least one point in most 2nd job skills and then deciding on an ultimate/3rd class. It's nice always having something up, or an ability to fit the situation, and not a lot scales well.

Personally I've been using this builder to plan my builds:

http://dnarmory.com/skill-calc

I prefer it because the skill descriptions match what we see in game and I find the interface a little easier on the eyes.

In an unrelated note, I noticed that the guild reached level 2, and with it our member cap increased. I assume this will continue to happen as the guild levels. With that in mind, and the fact that we only have 10 members, would anyone object if I invited my Warrior alt to the guild? If room becomes an issue I could always remove him, and these days I'm finding Mercenary more engaging than Mystic.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    Actually, one thing I've noticed is that once you level a skill to the point where it requires level 35, the static damage numbers start taking massive jumps. It seems to be some sort of breaking point where damage ramps up considerably.

Using Mystic as an example, rank 2 Summon Comet is level 29 and is 273% + 894 Magic Damage; at level 32 rank 3 is 276% + 1040 magic damage, but rank 4 at level 35 takes a larger jump to 280% + 1674 magic damage, and rank 5 at 38 is 284% + 2188

Likewise, at level 35, rank 7+ Triple Orbs begins gaining 300-400 damage per rank instead of around 100

Nonetheless, Paladin has a bunch of skills that scale much better even at lower levels anyway like Toughness, Provoke, Auto-Block, Aerial Block, Stance of Faith, Divine Punishment, Sacred Hammering, and so on, so I'll have more than enough stuff to spend skill points on.

• Options
    GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    Yeah the dnarmory calc is nice, I just wish it made it more clear that you can only put 250 in each job. Was messing around and came up with This build for Sharpshooter. Likely a little better then the other one I linked and what I would use if I hadn't already put points into charged shot and wisdom of the owl.(It has 16 points leftover so that you can use to pick what weapon master and what ultimate you want)

Also I found http://www.dragonnestwiki.com/Guild , Lists all the guild levels and what they need/what benefits you get.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Almost to 21. go go go~

Now I'm just all impatient to be done. So sad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I started yesterday on Argenta. Somehow I got dragged into many Abyss runs of Valley of Mourning. That rabbit is adorable. Went to bed after getting to level 13 and having a bag full of reset gem things.

It's like Vindictus and Guild Wars put together. I'm enjoying it so far. Dodging seems to be kind of clunky to me but it will probably be better once I get cooldown reductions.

Adellios on
  • Options
    Hit 24, and somehow took me this long to get 100 Gold. Which unlocked an entire long Chain of quests for May. where were you when I needed xp!?

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Had a tooth pulled, so rather than go out in the dust and heat, I stayed home and played Dragon Nest.

My sorceress is level five and I already feel like a pimp. Freeze dudes, throw out my bad ass acid spray thing, blow shit up with fireballs. Good times.

edit: I'd definitely like a way to immediately retry the same dungeon after its completion. That way, you don't have to go back out to the field in order to hop back in.

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    Starting to get a little frustrated with my Mercenary. More and more enemies are able to bust through the super armor on my moves, and I can't seem to stun the higher level bosses at all. I'm starting to realize why swordsmen are more popular. Being able to stand back and deal damage seems much easier if you can't stun the boss.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    My Cleric's shield bash can apparently stun anything, and the cooldown is always available when a big hitting attack is coming. The only problem is Manticore, because I can't shield bash the bastard in the air...

• Options
    Wait, cleric shield bash can stun the manticore? brb, rerolling as a paladin. That's ridiculous that you can stun him with a lvl 1 skill, but my stunning merc skill with a 4sec windup time does nothing.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Options
    I dislike how Manticore does not flinch. So he'll just turn around while I'm smacking away at him and start gnawing on me mid combo. It's bothersome. Aside from that, I still love Acrobat and hopefully blooming kick will solve that problem. If he's stunnable.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I dislike how Manticore does not flinch. So he'll just turn around while I'm smacking away at him and start gnawing on me mid combo. It's bothersome. Aside from that, I still love Acrobat and hopefully blooming kick will solve that problem. If he's stunnable.

He can be Stunned, but seems to have alot of resistance to it. At least with Blooming Kick.

• Options
    Up to level 22. Lack of quests is now making this into a serious grind. Sadface. Still I think I have a few more commission board quests left to do. Hopefully it won't be too horribly grindy. Just two levels to go! I can do it! Go fight win!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Up to level 22. Lack of quests is now making this into a serious grind. Sadface. Still I think I have a few more commission board quests left to do. Hopefully it won't be too horribly grindy. Just two levels to go! I can do it! Go fight win!

Side effect of being locked out of the next town which means we are locked out of the next story quest chain and so are limited to remianing side quests. Get 100 Gold in inventory if you have not already, that unlocks May's Friendship chain. Or run Astral Lab/Sanctuary Nexus over and over.

Finally found out what the Rookie Title was. had to die in the Catacombs. That took awhile even with no gear being level 24.

• Options
    Getting 100 gold will probably take me getting to 24. I mean, gold is harder to get than exp. hah.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    What are the point of Friendships?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Gold sellers have destroyed the economy. Crappy accessories cost 100g+. Reset sparks 50g. People post garbage that high because they know everyone is buying gold and will pay those stupid prices.

Anyway, friendships give 10% more XP in dungeons.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    No, I meant Friendships with NPCs

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    Faction points, mostly. Some NPCs have quests that require a certain amount of friendship or enmity. Yes, people that hate you can still make you do things...

• Options
    Morvidus wrote:
    Gold sellers have destroyed the economy. Crappy accessories cost 100g+. Reset sparks 50g. People post garbage that high because they know everyone is buying gold and will pay those stupid prices.

Anyway, friendships give 10% more XP in dungeons.

So it's not even out of beta and gold sellers have ruined everything?

Good thing I lost interest.