As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Dragons Nest] New Nexon MMO Open Beta starts today!

• RialeRiale I'm a little slow Registered User regular
    Morvidus wrote:
    Gold sellers have destroyed the economy. Crappy accessories cost 100g+. Reset sparks 50g. People post garbage that high because they know everyone is buying gold and will pay those stupid prices.

Anyway, friendships give 10% more XP in dungeons.

What server are you on? On Argenta, reset sparks are about half that price, and I'd say it's due to normal inflation rather than any interference in the economy by goldsellers. With the level cap so low, tons of people have been farming items (particularly crude onyx) to make money. On the last week in Argenta I've seen the price of crude onyx divebomb, while everything else begins to rise as a result of some people having 500-1k gold just from farming it back when the price was around 3.5g a piece.

reset sparks will always be expensive, because you have to use a cash shop item to sell them. depending on the accessory, they may be in high demand for particular classes (for example, a piece of jewelry with the 'mystical' prefix, that gives extra magic attack, will fetch an enormous price because it's super desirable to magic swordsmen, one of the most popular classes in the game).

All in all, I'd say the prices for items have remained pretty reasonable based on demand and access to them.

33c9nxz.gif
    Steam | XBL: Elazual | Last.fm
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Gold feels pretty generally useless, anyway. I farm up anything I need and have had no real problem with that. Actual pieces of equipment have stayed really reasonable as well. (I feel like the game tosses equipment you dont need at you. As I find cleric stuff like woah.)

steam_sig.png
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    I've never found a blue accessory. I'm still using level 15 shit and I've been 24 for almost 4 days.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    So, if I wanted to start the game with some friends, could we roll different classes and play together early on? I see that warriors and archers start in the same area, as do sorcerers and clerics, but if I rolled a cleric could I group up for beginning dungeons with a warrior?

What I've played has been pretty fun, so I want to rope some others in.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Fig-D wrote:
    So, if I wanted to start the game with some friends, could we roll different classes and play together early on? I see that warriors and archers start in the same area, as do sorcerers and clerics, but if I rolled a cleric could I group up for beginning dungeons with a warrior?

What I've played has been pretty fun, so I want to rope some others in.

You can just run to the other Classes town, you may miss some story quests, not sure how that works early on since once past the started town everything flows together.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Sacred Hammering is a total game changer for Paladin

At level 18 I was feeling a little bit underpowered

At level 19 I felt like a tiny god, it's practically impossible to end a combo at anything less than 100+ right now and health meters just melt under my autoattack

a night of playing will get you to lvl 10, which is where all the paths branch together. I would recommend doing that, because otherwise you'll miss out on a lot of quest exp later on down the road, because you won't have the prerequisites for the quests completed.

33c9nxz.gif
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    a night of playing will get you to lvl 10, which is where all the paths branch together. I would recommend doing that, because otherwise you'll miss out on a lot of quest exp later on down the road, because you won't have the prerequisites for the quests completed.

The whole thing isn'T an issue anyway because you can't progress past the starting area until you completed these quests.

• TremblayTremblay Registered User regular
    Is it me or the drop rate of armor/weapons/accessories was lowered? I used to get a lot of stuff before, now there are even a couple of Master runs that didn't really get me anything at all...

• Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    I just bought my armor off the AH. sub level 20 blue armor is dirt cheap, a couple of silver. It's the crude onyx the upgrade them that will kill you if you buy them and not farm them.

"If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
    So I've leveled up a Swordsman and a Mercenary to a decent level now, and I have to decide which one I'm gonna stick with as my main. It's a tough decision. The merc is way better at dealing with groups, but totally flounders for a lot of bosses, and the swordsman is basically the opposite of that.

I wish they'd tell us if they're gonna raise the level cap after OB, or if it won't come until later. That would make the decision much easier.

33c9nxz.gif
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    My Priest is almost lvl 19...I'm not sure if I'll hit 24 before OB ends but I don't see why the level cap won't increase. If we get access to that Saint's place isn't that all 24+ content? It'd be a shame to get there and...not be able to do anything more.

• Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    I hopped on my Cleric, saw that I had leveled some of my initial abilities up to 4 and 5, and figured I should just go back and start from scratch with him. I hear that you can completely reset your SP once you advance in a sub-class, though, so I may just blaze forward and fix my mistakes at level 15 or whatever.

edited August 2011
    I hopped on my Cleric, saw that I had leveled some of my initial abilities up to 4 and 5, and figured I should just go back and start from scratch with him. I hear that you can completely reset your SP once you advance in a sub-class, though, so I may just blaze forward and fix my mistakes at level 15 or whatever.

Yes, you'll get a respec at 15 after you do your specialization quests.

Kyanilis on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    But then you have DOUBLE the skills to waste SP on and build a poor spec and forever be doomed to suck.

I'm not sure you should celebrate yet.

• GhlinnGhlinn Registered User regular
    Honestly the best plan will probably be to just get the minimum skill level requirement to get the better skills then wait til 40 to fill it all out (and likely pick a few skills to not bother investing that initial SP into at all). That way you know just what moves you like and want to invest more points into.

steam_sig.png
    after playing around with the calcs, it seems to be built in such a way that by level 40 you can get 1 point in almost every skill, and still raise the important ones (like your main tree skill to 11 for the EX version).

Also, RE: Not raising the level cap. Everything at this point is just hearsay, but they have come out and said they're adding the Minotaur Nest once the game goes into release. With that in mind, I doubt that they will also immediately raise the level cap, because then it would be easy to level right past that gear level/content without doing it.

I know Nexon well enough to know that they will string folks along with updates for as long as they can before giving us more content. Heck, they've been doing it with their other games for ages. MapleStory is still like 2 years behind the asian versions, and they've had more than enough time to catch up. Like any MMO, it's just a function of how long they can keep people sinking their time into it.

However, I hope I'm proven wrong.

33c9nxz.gif
    That's fair, I've avoided other Nexon games until now. I happen to like Dragon Nest though so I'm hoping we get some more content before too long then.

Well considering I dont even think there are faction vendors in Cedererock or whatnot, I dont know why they'd try to keep us at this particular content level. We can't even grind for most epic stuff except the minotaur stuff at that point. That wouldn't be a very good time sink. It'd be smarter to cap it at whatever the next stopping point is. We at least need PvP and stuff to keep the game from getting ditched. It isn't exactly that captivating in the current market of 328579857 different F2P games coming out at once. Vindictus isn't too horribly behind the KR version I don't believe. (I could be horribly wrong about this though. Hah.)

steam_sig.png
    Vindictus might not be too far behind now, but it took at least a few months before it caught up more after it came out of beta.

I believe PvP will also be enabled after release, so that should help. According to some people on the official forums who play the Korean version, the next level cap will be at 32.

33c9nxz.gif
  • no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    Grabbed this beta over the weekend.

Perfect coop for the wife and me. Can get right into the action, plays well on her older laptop, and not too deep initially.

Consider introducing it to your casual gaming partners for some coop quality time.

• RobesRobes Registered User regular
    Started playing this two days ago. I'm having a lot of fun with the cleric. I'm up to level 9. The game is fun so far. I allready considered buying energy to continue my fun last night, since it dropped down to 0, but I noticed that there is no such option.

Do you guys know what the point of the daily energy limit is? In spiral knights, the daily energy limit was there to con you into buying game time.

"Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
    The PWR bar is essentially like a rested exp bar in other MMOs. It gives you double experience from dungeons you run and quests you turn it, and it refills daily. However, with the current level cap of 24, you'll find yourself leveling quite quickly even after your PWR for the day runs out. Unlike other F2P games with a power system, it's fine to keep playing after you run out (especially because at higher levels, you will run out after 2-3 dungeons).

33c9nxz.gif
    I feel kinda embarrassed XD I've been conditioned by other games that an empty power bar means that I should wait until it refills a bit, that i didn't even bother testing if I can do a dungeon at 0 power!

Also, beta got extended!

Robes wrote:
    Also, beta got extended!

Indefinitely, no less. Well, I guess maybe I will hit 24 before the open beta ends! On the other hand, now I'll be even unhappier if they finally go out of beta and the level cap isn't increased. I can't imagine the people who have already maxed themselves out so far will be happy either.

Yeah, this kinda smacks of typical Nexon, where they keep a game in OBT as long as they can, but continue to extend the cash shop without adding any content in order to milk as much money as they can out of people. The same stuff happened in Maple Story and Vindictus, so I can't say I'm really surprised.

After the wing event ends I'll probably just take a break from the game until they raise the level cap. 24 is really too low to cap things. Most classes don't even have their defining abilities yet.

33c9nxz.gif
    Well, got level 24 acrobat at least. so my goal was reached. Only have 3 pieces of level 24 equipment and havent even enhanced or crafted them up yet, but I don't think I can be assed. Its a lot of fun, but as stated, 24 is way too low to cap this game.

steam_sig.png
    Yeah, the double exp/drop bonus kinda makes me laugh. I'm lvl 24 with an entire +6 blue set, all enhanced. None of this cost me much because everyone is 24, so the market is flooded with goods and prices and bottomed out. I have no incentive to play so the same tired blue gear that you can grab for 1g will drop more often.

33c9nxz.gif
  • lizbotlizbot Registered User regular
    I'm a little emo because I stayed up way to late/early grinding the hell out of Astral Labs to hit 24, did it...and then saw the extension notice. I never hit lvl caps in MMOs so I have to agree it must be way to low form any king of long term OBT. I'm not the most skillful player so my main incentives to keep playing would have to be wealth building and...learning to suck less.

Also: I can't say anything about Vindictus open beta but ~ the cashshop in Maplestory was actually delayed for (imo) an obnoxiously long time, and MS global is only about half a year behind the Korean version now and the gap seems to be closing with each update (so hopefully NA DN won't stay too behind the original version)

fwp.png
    The log-in is currently down for tons of people, apparently. Color me fucking surprised.

really? I never played maplestory directly at launch, but I didn't think it was that long for it being delayed. They're definitely better caught up now, but there was a 2-3 year period where they were years and years behind the other versions. It took them ages to even put Pirates in.

Anyway, I have no idea about the localization team for Dragon Nest, and it's not like Nexon is the company actually creating the games, so all I can do at this point is wait and see. Maybe I'll go back and check out Vindictus. Last I played it was during the OBT when I got bored at the level cap and there were only two characters, so there should be plenty for me to explore.

It's too bad abyss mode doesn't drop epic gear at some low rate. That would at least give me incentive to farm. At this point, outside of the ridiculously rare gold bunny boxes, there's nothing left worth farming.

33c9nxz.gif
    I find Vindictus to be amazing every time I pick it up. I dunno, I just havent played it in any long stints because I never know anyone else playing it. Evie is pure win though.

steam_sig.png
  • lizbotlizbot Registered User regular
    MS: It took about 5 months after it was officially open to get cash shop ~ but then again, it was 2005 and then f2p market has definitely found it's foothold now.

And I'm tempted to try and get another character or two up to 15 for the extra inventory and storage slots. Because I love me some big beefy storage. Also because it really is a lot easier, not only is there the exp bonus, but for some reason my sorceress almost never got sorceress equips ~ so my class mules are getting better gear than my main, because all the duplicates mean constant attempts at better enhancements.

It's nice yet littered with unpleasant moments of, "Oh I died right here last time. Twice. But look at this glowing archer character who barely lost any HP asndfkmkl,;sdf"

fwp.png
    I hate dark elves. Just getting juggled all day. The knockback on wake-up is useful in this situation, but it has a cooldown and I often find myself essentially chewing on my mouse and keyboard until I'm able to stand up.

I have a Sword Master/Swordsman/Choppy Blade Guy question: Is the magic route more popular because it's flashy and/or fairly effective or is it popular because it's the only real viable choice when compared to the physical side of the tree? There seems to be a lot of ranged stuff on that end of the talent pool, while the physical side of things focuses on dashes and juggles and stuff.

That pertains to PVE, by the way. I'll probably PVP a bit eventually, but I doubt I'll do it with my Warrior. I still have horrible flashbacks from the time I grinded(ground?) my way up the ladder in the old WoW PVP system. Tried to get an Unstoppable Force, so I was essentially grinding two things at once, and doing battle with mostly blues and a couple of hand-me-down raid epics was just... the only word that comes to mind is "shitfart".

From most reports I've seen, the physical side is largely for PvP. Because swordsmen don't have the survivability talents or super armor abilities of mercenaries, the magic tree is preferred for PvE because it allows you to keep at range.

Unfortunately, because of the low level cap, the physical tree abilities are a little better right now. This has led most people to a hybrid build, mixing magical and physical attack, and getting a few points in both sides at least until th elevel cap is raised.

33c9nxz.gif
    Damn dragon nest isnt letting me on right now. Unable to read database my foot. Bastards.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2011
    Soloing Forest Sanctary on Abyss is a fucking pain in the ass.

I hate dark elves. I HATE DARK ELVES.

edit: I got to the boss during that attempt yesterday and had to give up, because I literally couldn't do enough damage to out-muscle the mechanics of the fight. I burned through quite a few resurrection scrolls, because I'd get knocked into a corner by something completely off-screen before being infinitely juggled up against the wall with no way to stop it. Fantastic.

Liquid Ghost on
  • pantsypantsy Registered User regular
    So, do armor items not change your appearance? So far I have only been rewarded one "costume" piece which has actually changed my look.