As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington] Politics

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Who the fuck knows what The Times wants, anymore. Their behavior defies logic and common sense.

Well they are certainly pro rape with their continued endorsement of Joe Fain.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Something to bear in mind if you’re in the Spokane area and haven’t voted yet.

https://www.inlander.com/spokane/today-the-spokesman-reviews-endorsements-represent-the-views-of-just-one-man-stacey-cowles/Content?oid=13813188

So what's the deal with the Spokesman-Review's endorsements? Who's making them and why isn't the editorial board interviewing candidates anymore?

"Well, it’s the same as it’s always been," Spokesman-Review Managing Editor Joe Palmquist tells the Inlander. "Basically the difference is that the editorial board is now a board of one."

Thanks to cuts, layoffs and buyouts, the editorial board has been winnowed down to only one man: Publisher Stacey Cowles. Cowles gives his opinion to an experienced freelance writer — Palmquist declines to identify who — and the writer writes it up. (Cowles did not respond to a phone call last week requesting an interview.)

The paper of record in town can no longer be trusted, to whatever extent it was trusted before.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Good lord thats insane.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    The Cowles family is crazy powerful in Spokane. And most of it is behind the scenes because they own the main paper.

Luckily the Inlander, the alt-weekly, doesn’t give a fuck.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Having spent most of a week in the Seattle area recently, I have to say that the incessant ballot measure commercials and posters and signs officially make any such place the 10th circle of Hell.

What the ever loving fuck.

(note the lack of a question mark)

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    We are getting so much mail and we already fucking voted. STOP STOP YOU FUCKERS

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    haveing fun texting fuck off back to every campaign robo-text i receive

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I don't mind the mail, it's easy enough to toss in the recycling, but I'm just about ready to disconnect the phone. The worst is the commercials, though. In any given hour of TV we see 6-7 ads for Schrier or Rossi in the 8th district, but we don't live in the 8th. We're not even adjacent to the 8th. It's 20-fucking-18. Surely the technology exists by now to target your TV advertising a little better, no?

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Well, we need those physical reminders because it's not like targeted internet ads are also incessantly reminding us o--I'm kidding of course they are.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

bitdrwdc4zm6.jpg

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    I don't mind the mail, it's easy enough to toss in the recycling, but I'm just about ready to disconnect the phone. The worst is the commercials, though. In any given hour of TV we see 6-7 ads for Schrier or Rossi in the 8th district, but we don't live in the 8th. We're not even adjacent to the 8th. It's 20-fucking-18. Surely the technology exists by now to target your TV advertising a little better, no?

Yeah, but maybe you have friends from the 8th district over for dinner and a movie. Those 6-7 ads would be screen time lost in that situation.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Yeah, but maybe you have friends from the 8th district over for dinner and a movie. Those 6-7 ads would be screen time lost in that situation.

I would NEVER allow an Eastsider into my home

(don't let my wife see this, my in-laws live in the 8th)

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    I was working over in the 8th for non-political reasons, a little while back. That whole area's character is unbelievably schizophrenic to the point where I honestly can no longer predict the outcome of the coming Congressional election with any certainty.

There are hipster coffee shops next to fucking mudflap shacks.

• Options

What about those filthy upper south pudget sound folks?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

They get scared entering any enclosed area anyway.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mudflap shacks.

What are those?
    (Actual question, not a meme)
    (feel free to imagine Shuri from Black Panther yelling that anyway)

They get scared entering any enclosed area anyway.

They know they need to be invited in to be able to enter and get skittish as a result.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    mudflap shacks.

What are those?

Something that must be seen to be understood.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Alright, initial results are in. (There will be some late ballots coming in, but none of these are *that* close.)
    Carbon tax (Initiative 1631): failed
    I'm not happy about that, but Washington has never seen a tax they liked, so I'm not surprised.

Ban on sugar taxes (Initiative 1634): passed
    Similarly, this annoys me; that was obvious fuckery on the part of soft drink manufacturers. But Washington has never seen a tax they liked.

Gun control (Initiative 1639): passed by a wide margin
    As someone with a basic understanding of firearms, I was annoyed that they referred to assault weapons in all the ads, instead of semi-automatic rifles, but the actual law changes are good ideas.

Law enforcement training and regulation (Initiative 940): passed by a wide margin
    Well, that was just a good idea.

• Options
    In disappointed that we let large out of state interests influence the carbon and food taxes, but the point of Washington votes pretty much always coming down no on taxes at least makes me feel like some of it was just Washington being Washington.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Disregard, looks like it was a browser hiccup.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Dino Rossi is set to lose with 80% reporting so far.

Thank fuck

Do you have a source? Google is only showing me 64% in still.

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Dino Rossi is set to lose with 80% reporting so far.

Thank fuck

Do you have a source? Google is only showing me 64% in still.

Oh weird, when I looked on my phone it said 80 but back on my laptop, yeah, it says 64. Well boo. Still, at least it's a positive indicator.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Secretary of State website shows same total number of votes, but no percentages. Also, Gonzalez winning by a lot.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Kim Schrier just announced via her FB that she's won the race versus Dino Rossi and Steve Gonzalez announced that he's been reelected to the Supreme Court.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Kim Schrier just announced via her FB that she's won the race versus Dino Rossi and Steve Gonzalez announced that he's been reelected to the Supreme Court.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

Gonzales didn't just win, he basically got twice as many votes.

• Options
    AimAim Registered User regular

Gonzales didn't just win, he basically got twice as many votes.

Honestly, it's still sad that 1/3 of votes thought it was a good idea to vote for the challenger.

• Options
    NecoNeco Worthless Garbage Registered User regular
    I wonder what Dino Rossi is going to run for next, the possibilities are limited!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I'm grumpy about the carbon tax and soda tax ones but at least the other two which were honestly more important passed.

Even better fuck you Dino Rossi go back to your nightmare dimension and close the portal behind you this time.

• Options
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/police-chief-in-tiny-republic-wants-it-a-sanctuary-city-from-new-gun-law/

Holy fuck this guy. Especially using the language of sanctuary cities with regards to the fucking second amendment and the very minor new restrictions.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    hell yeah gonna move out there and buy a rocket launcher

• Options
    RhahRhah Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Oops. Couldn’t find a good thread. Muh bad

Rhah on
  • Options
    (Wrong Washington)

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/police-chief-in-tiny-republic-wants-it-a-sanctuary-city-from-new-gun-law/

Holy fuck this guy. Especially using the language of sanctuary cities with regards to the fucking second amendment and the very minor new restrictions.

I wonder if he understands the nuance here, where while the fed doesn't have the authority to compel a state to enforce federal law, a state can absolutely compel a city to enforce state law. Cities don't have any sovereignty! The state can just revoke your charter if you piss them off enough.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    (Wrong Washington)

As someone who votes in one Washington and toils in the other Washington this works for me

• Options
    Quid wrote: »
    (Wrong Washington)

As someone who votes in one Washington and toils in the other Washington this works for me

Every time my taxes go up, I glare eastward and hope for you to get a headache or something

• Options
    Tim Eyman files for bankruptcy, blames legal fight with AG
    https://www.heraldnet.com/news/tim-eyman-files-for-bankruptcy-blames-legal-fight-with-ag/?fbclid=IwAR3LywxDaWos3UEgsCJJcLpYdYjV34Ud8-ewG79bqRQdivwdlrf7QGSuLw8

I usually refrain from providing my own reaction to news when I link it in order to keep my post impartial but I'm going to make an exception in this case:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxXEPk3dzFg

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Apparently Washington state is considering legislation on Israeli boycotts, who all has a say in passing legislation that I can call to tell them to fuck off?

• Options
    Apparently Washington state is considering legislation on Israeli boycotts, who all has a say in passing legislation that I can call to tell them to fuck off?

Considering in what direction? To ban them? Or to say they are ok? I'm so confused.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Considering in what direction? To ban them? Or to say they are ok? I'm so confused.

Something along the lines of what other states have done where they make you promise not to boycott Israel as a requirement for state employment. I wasn't able to find anything that looked like an actual law being considered though, so I'm not sure if its actually something to worry about locally.

Edit: This article implied Washington was considering similar rules, so I was worried. https://theintercept.com/2018/12/17/israel-texas-anti-bds-law/

Brody on

This discussion has been closed.