As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

3DS price dropped $80 to $169 August 12. 20(?) Free games if purchased before.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm sure the main reason is to undercut the Vita.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    I saw this in my little news reader before I got here and I thought to myself "I bet some people are pissed" and sure enough, free stuff, but people are pissed.

I can't wait for my free games. Woot Yoshi's Island!

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Plus I give Nintendo some credit here, they noticed a problem and are taking care of it. It's more than Sony did with the PSPGo.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Heck it's about on the same level as the games Sony gave away to apologize for the privacy issue.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I never played most of these, so I'm thrilled. Especially the GBA games.

Even if I had already played them... free digital games. I don't need to haul cartridges around.

And with Four Swords coming too, that's 21 free games. That solves the biggest problem I have with the 3DS, which is that I had all of 3 games to play.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Heck it's about on the same level as the games Sony gave away to apologize for the privacy issue.

I'd say better than Sony's "I'm sorry package."

Yoshi's Island by itself makes it better. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Well you don't get a year of identity theft protection or a month of premium online services.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote:

Well you don't get a year of identity theft protection or a month of premium online services.

Identity Theft Protection you need because of them and an online service you already have for free.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm also going with this being better than the PS3 compensation. Not only do you get 5-10x the number of games, I didn't potentially get my identity stolen.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2011
    I'm also going with this being better than the PS3 compensation. Not only do you get 5-10x the number of games, I didn't potentially get my identity stolen.

They're giving away roughly a million copies of Mario Kart GBA.

You know how much easy cash that would have been?

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    Yeah, as far as Nintendo goes, giving away first-party games on any platform, even an old one, is fucking unprecedented.

• Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular

More to the point, Nintendo has made a wise choice in copying Sony's strategy.

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    As predicted, most of the Mac news sites I follow are reporting this as a desperate measure against iOS. I don't doubt that iOS had an influence, but I don't think that's the whole story, either.

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    As predicted, most of the Mac news sites I follow are reporting this as a desperate measure against iOS. I don't doubt that iOS had an influence, but I don't think that's the whole story, either.

What.

I love my iDevices as much as the next guy, but that just smacks of desperation for more portable gaming relevance to me. I can't see Nintendo shaking in fear of iOS.

• Options
    CaswynbenCaswynben Registered User regular
    Hello, fellow ambassadors!

• Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular

What.

I love my iDevices as much as the next guy, but that just smacks of desperation for more portable gaming relevance to me. I can't see Nintendo shaking in fear of iOS.

Here's the article in question:

http://www.cultofmac.com/hammered-by-iphone-and-ipad-nintendo-desperately-slashes-the-price-of-the-3ds/106465

Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    Caswynben wrote:
    Hello, fellow ambassadors!

Fine wine and cheeses are being served in the executive lounge.

Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Options
    angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    so when will we see a price drop on the XL :)

sQwJu.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    cult of mac dot com

• Options

What.

Here's the article in question:

http://www.cultofmac.com/hammered-by-iphone-and-ipad-nintendo-desperately-slashes-the-price-of-the-3ds/106465

This is like me claiming that the price of beef is dropping because of my wildly successful tofu business.

Funny, and a little sad.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Seriously considering grabbing one like a week before the price drop, and seeing if they'll price match it afterward. Worst case scenario I won't really lose anything on the deal but time.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

I would expect retailers to drop all DS models to $dirt on the 12th.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I have quite the VC Library, and Balloon Fight is one of my favorites. I'll take the price drop.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    So Nintendo is giving early 3DS owners a bunch of high quality GBA games, but isn't putting them up on the VC for new 3DS owners to purchase them? Yuck.

• Options
    So Nintendo is giving early 3DS owners a bunch of high quality GBA games, but isn't putting them up on the VC for new 3DS owners to purchase them? Yuck.

From what I understand, early adopters get the games for free, and way early. These are sort of "beta" versions, and don't include certain VC features. Eventually, the new versions will be out for everyone to purchase, and "ambassadors" will get to upgrade for free.

• Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I owned WarioWare and Metroid Fusion for the GBASP when I had it, and I'm excited to have them back again. It will be cool to have Mario Kart and DK Jr is a fond memory.

This is orders of magnitude better than Sony's Welcome Back program. I may have gotten two games each for my PSP and PS3, but I only play ModRacers PSP with any regularity.

At least this will have me turning on my 3DS on a daily basis now that I've played the DS games I bought for it to death. None of the 3D games have really grabbed me, sadly.

EDIT: It's going to be fucking hilarious when Sept. 1 comes and everyone is in here bitching about the games not being downloaded to our 3DSes until 10:45 PM PST.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular

From what I understand, early adopters get the games for free, and way early. These are sort of "beta" versions, and don't include certain VC features. Eventually, the new versions will be out for everyone to purchase, and "ambassadors" will get to upgrade for free.

That's true for the NES games.

GBA games do not include any extra features, will not receive updates, and they will only, at least for the foreseeable future, be available to Ambassadors.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    What information do I need from my DSi XL before I sell it to transfer my purchases? I don't need the XL and the 3DS beside each other do i?
    -Tal wrote:

I'll consider selling you mine when I get this conundrum figured out.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    Nintendo doesn't let you transfer your Wii VC titles to 3DS?

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    plufim wrote:
    It is a bit of a stretch to imply sales are the sole reason for this price drop, Absalon. Their competition is coming out in a few months, having a price lower than a lot of people were expecting. Undercutting the Vita is likely an important move in the long term.

Except that Vita isn't coming out until Christmas in Japan and other territories until next year. It's too far away to be attributable to that (well, completely attributable, since I'm sure it's in the back of their minds). Instead, it's all about the $250 price. That price is far more than any successful portable system has ever sold for. And Nintendo president Iwata flat-out said before launch that they were charging that much as a calculated gamble because they thought it would sell like crazy. Long story short, it hasn't.

Honestly, this move is a little risky. It could communicate to consumers that Nintendo doesn't have faith in the product, and could scare them away further. Or it could simply eliminate the one barrier they had to buying the thing. We'll just have to see.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Cantido wrote:
    What information do I need from my DSi XL before I sell it to transfer my purchases? I don't need the XL and the 3DS beside each other do i?
    -Tal wrote:

I'll consider selling you mine when I get this conundrum figured out.
    To complete the data transfer you will need both your Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DSi systems, the wireless data transfer application for the Nintendo DSi, and access to the Internet. If the existing account on the Nintendo DSi is cleared, or if you no longer have access to the Nintendo DSi, the transfer cannot be completed.

Nearly all content purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop can now be transferred to your Nintendo 3DS.

You can also transfer photos, sounds and Internet settings from your Nintendo DSi.

The Data Transfer tool for the Nintendo DSi that is needed for this process is a free download from the Nintendo DSi Shop.

Sorry. And:
    The functionality to transfer DSiWare from a Nintendo DSi to a Nintendo 3DS is available through the current system update. Click here for information about peforming the system update. All DSiWare games currently available will be able to transfer with the following exceptions:

Asphalt IV
    Earthworm Jim
    Flipnote Studio*
    Let's Golf
    Nintendo DSi Browser
    Oregon Trail
    Real Soccer 2009
    Real Soccer 2010
    SUDOKU MASTER
    SUDOKU SENSEI
    Sudoku Student

*Flipnote Studio cannot be transferred to the Nintendo 3DS system. Nintendo will be developing a similar application for the Nintendo 3DS.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    CygnusZ wrote:
    Nintendo doesn't let you transfer your Wii VC titles to 3DS?

DIssappointing but hardly surprising.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    plufim wrote:
    It is a bit of a stretch to imply sales are the sole reason for this price drop, Absalon. Their competition is coming out in a few months, having a price lower than a lot of people were expecting. Undercutting the Vita is likely an important move in the long term.

Nintendo lowers profit forecast 82%

The price drop isn't the only reason they're going to make 82% less than they thought they would. Sales numbers aren't great.

• Options
    Monoxide wrote:
    plufim wrote:

Nintendo lowers profit forecast 82%

The price drop isn't the only reason they're going to make 82% less than they thought they would. Sales numbers aren't great.

Plus the fact that, with Wii sales slowing down, I'm sure Nintendo expected monster sales from the 3DS to keep things profitable until the Wii U comes out.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, as far as Nintendo goes, giving away first-party games on any platform, even an old one, is fucking unprecedented.

Cutting profit forecasts by about 80 % is unprecedented as well. But they fucked up because they got so thrilled over the idea of Streetpasses and gyros and AR and 3D and omigosh innovative that they forgot to make it playable for the standard number of hours, eyes-wise (ophthalmologically?) and battery-wise. Also, games.

With the Wii and the DS, they gave the public something it didn't even know it had wanted all this time. With the 3DS, I can't shake the feeling that they gave the public something they themselves had wanted to give the public for some time.

Absalon on
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    The OP needs to be fixed - Yoshi's Island is Mario Advance 3, so there are 5 more GBA games that we don't know about yet. IGN fixed their article too.
    and deliciously awful DRM also codes are awful even if one per system is certainly an improvement.
    Does it allow you to see friends who are online and/or what game they're playing?

Yes. You see a yellow light flash that lets you know a friend is online, you can hit the home button to suspend a game, see who's on and what they're playing, and go right back to your game. You can't message them though as I said, which is something that ought to be fixed.

Awful DRM, though? Do you feel the same way about Steam? I realize "tied to the system" is worse than "tied to the account" but people generally aren't going to be using multiple 3DSs like they use multiple PCs. Nintendo has also traditionally transferred games over for people in case you buy a new one. DSi to 3DS transfer works and a 3DS tool is supposed to be coming eventually too.

The main exceptions I take to the software being tied directly to the hardware are that:

1) Hardware breaks - handhelds triply so. Or gets stolen. In those cases, you aren't seeing those games again - or if you are, it involves a lot of wrangling with Nintendo directly. I understand that they are at least quite helpful in the US - rather less so in the UK, I'd imagine.

2) If you want to sell your old console to fund a new version, you have to buy the new one first, transfer everything over and only then get rid of the old one.

Mostly, it's just that I view actual physical hardware (carts, discs etc) as permanent, accounts like Steam as mostly-permant (possibly foolishly) and software tied to hardware as "going to fuck up/get lost forever at some point". It makes me less inclined to spend money, and more ill at ease with any purchases I do make.

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    I mentioned this in the industry thread, but I think this has everything to do with 3rd party support. With the rising budgets of portable games, publishers don't want another DS. A slow burn that takes off as the library builds means it becomes difficult to profit in the early days. This leads to fewer games causing the library to never build that would help the system take off in the end. Sony is basically telling developers to port their games to the PS3 to help with the budget issues, as it becomes difficult to justify the budget for a handheld game, especially when there are so few systems on the market. The 3DS on the other hand, is built for exclusives so Nintendo needs to push it harder to maintain support.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options

Eh, there was Animal Crossing for Gamecube that gave away about the same number of NES games.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Nintendo gives away its shitty classic NES games (+ sometimes SMB and Zelda) for free until it's blue in the face... not often they give away high selling, semi-recent (well, recent = like 10 years at this point, but that's better than NES :P) games for free though. Only example that comes to mind is all the Ocarina of Time promotions on GameCube (+ Majora's Mask for the "Zelda Collection")

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Eh, there was Animal Crossing for Gamecube that gave away about the same number of NES games.

Though you actually had to buy the game to get all those, so that's a little different.

Say what you will about the price drop, but they're certainly not half-assing it.

This discussion has been closed.