As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Teaching a class - How should I dress?

legallytiredlegallytired Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey folks,

To give a bit of background info..
I'm a 24 years old engineering student and I'll be teaching at my college this fall and this winter. This will be the first class I teach ever and I got about 120 or so students that I will have to entertain for 3 hours a week.

Thankfully, I do look a bit older than I am but I'm pretty used to the jeans and t-shirt attire since I'm mostly working alone in my office/at home most of the time.

There isn't really a dress code per se (I've seen sandals+socks a few times on my teachers) but I'm trying to project a bit of credibility.

I'll be happy to give more details if needed!

Thanks!

legallytired on

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Depends on where the school is, and what school to be honest.

When i taught at UC Davis, i just wore whatever, and honestly it was fine. Though when I guest lectured here at U. Pitt, I wore khakis and a button down shirt. Academia is very region specific.

Depending on how long the lecture is make sure you have comfy shoes, and don't lock your knees

camo_sig.png
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    I'd imagine that you couldn't really go wrong with a pair of slacks and a dress shirt.
    Maybe even a dress shirt with jeans, provided the jeans are in good condition.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Hey folks,

To give a bit of background info..
    I'm a 24 years old
    Jeans and a dress shirt would be fine, or a 'nice' polo.
    engineering student

Goodwill.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Just wear whatever your other Engineering TAs wear. Anything out of the ordinary is just as liable to look like you're trying to hard as it is to look classy.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    You're in engineering. The school needs you more than you need them.

Do whatever you want.

• Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Go business casual- slacks and a button down shirt, or maybe a golf shirt during the summer.

I'd avoid dressing like the students- go at least one level of clothing above the standard jeans and t-shirt of the students. You want to distinguish yourself from the students you're teaching, but not be so formal as to be intimidating.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Collared shirt and a sweater?

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    A nice pencil skirt and a conservative blouse with a collar. No jewelry that's too eye catching.