As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]craft 2

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    I wish he had been mad at chewbacca for being in the prequels

I think it would have been funny if he was just mad at chewbacca for being chewbacca. Besides anything that gives me the line "Daniel Craig is my wookie bitch now" is instant classic.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    why does even the shittiest community college require a master's degree to teach

you haven't applied for my community college

it's held in the back of these dumpsters

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    why does even the shittiest community college require a master's degree to teach

My guess would be because they can. I am sure if they had trouble finding out of work people with graduate degrees they would lower the requirements.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular

You can teach HS with a bachelor's. Ifyou want to teach, have you considered teach for america or other teaching fellowships?

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular

seems like a reasonable requirement to me

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Variable wrote:

I think it would have been funny if he was just mad at chewbacca for being chewbacca. Besides anything that gives me the line "Daniel Craig is my wookie bitch now" is instant classic.
    yeah it was great I just didn't love the wife cheating thing

the rest was grand

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Variable wrote:

yeah it was great I just didn't love the wife cheating thing

the rest was grand

They should have stopped at "She was my wife!" The hairball bit felt forced.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    time to get past the whole depression thing and go to the bank and stuff

sigh

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Is that not still codeine derived though? I mean there are some chemical differences (apart from the major one of a hydroxyl group instead of just hydrogen at C14) but I think it would still make me sick.

The opioids are kind of messy drugs, metabolically. There are four (some people say five) different opioid receptors, and in people who have had chronic pain for a long time, the activity of one or more of those receptors may have been altered (or congenitally abnormal). And then each opioid is metabolized into three or four or more active byproducts all with slight chemical similarities and differences. This comes up on urinalysis a lot - you can't test for, for example, codeine and oxycodone separately because their metabolites are so similar. So some people who develop, say, a skin rash to codeine might develop the same rash with oxycodone but not hydrocodone, or vice versa, or all three.

So, yeah, there's a good chance that oxycodone would trigger whatever adverse reaction you get from codeine, but it's not a guarantee. The only way to figure out this mess is to try it. Try a small dose of oxycodone (or any other opioid you're curious about) and see if you have an adverse reaction. Just keep in mind that 5mg of oxycodone is roughly equivalent to 30mg of codeine, more or less. (This isn't an exact science.)

Just to clarify this post, with most opioids, both the analgesia and any adverse reactions are caused by the metabolites - the drug is converted to {some combination of other opioid molecules} in the liver, and it's one or more of those active metabolites that we're actually interested in. Since there is some, but not perfect, overlap in the metabolites produced from each of the major opioids, then it's possible that one drug can cause a reaction that another does not.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Its weird sometimes Ford shows up and gives really "I don't give a shit" interviews, but then he does Kimmel and does little bits like that. So is Kimmel like an illegitimate child of his or something?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Oh I'm on an interesting combination of pregabalin with duloxetine and brufen when I need it. Doesn't take the pain away but means I can manage to pretend to be vaguely normal.

That's a relatively savvy combination. That gives me confidence that your pain management clinician knows what he's doing.

Yeah. It was pregabalin and venaflaxine but my new pain management consultant switched to duloxotine to see if it helped a bit more.

It was kind of funny 'cos if I'd seen him years ago when I first started this regime he wouldn't have given me this combination because he doesn't use it. But my pain consultant in Glasgow was just awesome and totally on top of all the neuropathic pain stuff. I miss him.

• Options
    Anyone else read a thread that seems like its got way too much fiction in it? All I'm saying is there can't be that many who tip people...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Also, I'd totally forgotten about the hallucinations 'till japan posted it. That was hilerical last time. :lol:

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    It was pregabalin and venaflaxine

i thought I was reading lewis carroll for a moment

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

You'd be even more convinced were you on them.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Six wrote:

You can teach HS with a bachelor's. Ifyou want to teach, have you considered teach for america or other teaching fellowships?
    I don't particularly want to teach, I prefer research, but working in a college is something I could actually do, unlike 95% of the postings I see.

• Options
    Winky wrote:

You'd be even more convinced were you on them.

ha

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Dudeward are you staunchly anti-wolfeconomics or are you going to give it a chance : (

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Its weird sometimes Ford shows up and gives really "I don't give a shit" interviews, but then he does Kimmel and does little bits like that. So is Kimmel like an illegitimate child of his or something?

That or Harrison Ford is the coolest guy ever.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Six wrote:

I don't particularly want to teach, I prefer research, but working in a college is something I could actually do, unlike 95% of the postings I see.

Gotta do something to pass the time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Frosteey wrote:
    Dudeward are you staunchly anti-wolfeconomics or are you going to give it a chance : (

Did I PM you that I'm watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica

because I meant to.

i am not proud.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    Anyone else read a thread that seems like its got way too much fiction in it? All I'm saying is there can't be that many who tip people...

Spoken like a man who's never gotten a handjob/lapdance from a crackwhore eaten at a fancy restaurant.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    You can require a masters to teach at a shitty community college because the market for educators is shit and they're expecting to have to slog through it, I imagine. The price of not having to leave academia.

• Options
    Six wrote:

If it's Higher Education I actually strongly agree with the UK kind-of rule that for a lecturing post you have to have (or have just submitted) your PhD.

I mean, I do some teaching and I'll be in charge of creating and delivering a module next semester, but I'm also very near the end of my PhD with two Masters degrees and a first class undergraduate degree and the module is very strongly associated with my research area and I shadowed a similar module a couple of years ago when it was taught by my Supervisor.

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular

My guess would be because they can. I am sure if they had trouble finding out of work people with graduate degrees they would lower the requirements.

yeah there are a lot of unemployed Masters and PhDs floating around

I mean the fact that so many of them fetch up at bookstores should indicate that all of the better teaching positions are heavily competed over, even at community college

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

Because they can afford being picky.

Deal with it.

• Options
    Frosteey wrote:

because I meant to.

i am not proud.

Well I would probably have watched that show but the faces were too wide so I did not watch it.

Watch the show with wolves Dudeward I would seriously be super surpised if you did not end up liking it : (

• Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular

Because many of them have transfer deals with nearby universities, so in order to maintain their accreditation, they need to have high standards for their faculty.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Frosteey wrote:
    Frosteey wrote:

because I meant to.

i am not proud.

Well I would probably have watched that show but the faces were too wide so I did not watch it.

Watch the show with wolves Dudeward I would seriously be super surpised if you did not end up liking it : (

So you didn't like the show because they didn't put enough spaces between the colon and the parentheses?

• Options
    Preacher wrote:

That or Harrison Ford is the coolest guy ever.

I have no doubt he's a nice fellow. His charity work/rescue stuff is already proof of that. I just wish people like Leno or even John Stewart would realize when someone like Ford doesn't like doing their show and not have him on as a guest when he clearly looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I think I might like to be a teacher at a community college as my full time job someday

• Options
    Also watch penguindrum because penguins.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Oh I'm on an interesting combination of pregabalin with duloxetine and brufen when I need it. Doesn't take the pain away but means I can manage to pretend to be vaguely normal.

That's a relatively savvy combination. That gives me confidence that your pain management clinician knows what he's doing.

Yeah. It was pregabalin and venaflaxine but my new pain management consultant switched to duloxotine to see if it helped a bit more.

It was kind of funny 'cos if I'd seen him years ago when I first started this regime he wouldn't have given me this combination because he doesn't use it. But my pain consultant in Glasgow was just awesome and totally on top of all the neuropathic pain stuff. I miss him.

Something about the GABA-nergic agent plus SNRI combination just seems to work particularly well for neuropathic pain. I dunno why.

It's nice because it also ferrets out some of the fakers. Somebody with a neuropathic complaint, who has been on narcotics for a long time, should report that the GABA/SNRI combination takes the pain down to a functional level (but it usually doesn't eliminate it completely)... just as you have. Such a person usually needs something additional for really bad days, like an opioid or marijuana, but will no longer report dependence on it.

People who maintain daily opioid or marijuana use despite the GABA/SNRI combo is going to have something else going on. Psychiatric issue, addiction, spinal injury, etc.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Six wrote:

Gotta do something to pass the time.
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. You think I should apply for a ridiculously competitive slot at the ineffectual TFA?

• Options
    To expand a little, surely even at a Community College the lecturer is expected to have expertise in the area in which they are teaching? I honestly don't believe that this can be the case if the lecturer only has a BA (or whatever undergraduate degree it is). Plus, they wouldn't have the research skills to find out the stuff they don't know and the career development offered by postgraduate education.

• Options
    Winky wrote:
    Frosteey wrote:
    Frosteey wrote:

because I meant to.

i am not proud.

So you didn't like the show because they didn't put enough spaces between the colon and the parentheses?

Well I would have to check to make sure but yes probably.

• Options
    I think I might like to be a teacher at a community college as my full time job someday

I don't think "How To Roll a Joint 101" will ever be an accredited course skippy.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Ok, finished reading the tipping thread. I won't lie. It's entertaining.

• Options
    Of course, my dream job is academia so I'm probably a little biased.

• Options
    Preacher wrote:

I don't think "How To Roll a Joint 101" will ever be an accredited course skippy.

oh we'll see about that

we'll just see

This discussion has been closed.