As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat]craft 2

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Haphazard wrote:
    Ok, finished reading the tipping thread. I won't lie. It's entertaining.

Man. That one guy.

You know the one I'm talking about.

That guy.

Man.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:
    To expand a little, surely even at a Community College the lecturer is expected to have expertise in the area in which they are teaching? I honestly don't believe that this can be the case if the lecturer only has a BA (or whatever undergraduate degree it is). Plus, they wouldn't have the research skills to find out the stuff they don't know and the career development offered by postgraduate education.

Yeah. I'd expect a college professor to have a Master's at the absolute minimum.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    why does even the shittiest community college require a master's degree to teach

Because they can afford being picky.

Deal with it.
    Gee, thanks, that's so helpful.

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Indeed, Feral. In deed.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Its weird sometimes Ford shows up and gives really "I don't give a shit" interviews, but then he does Kimmel and does little bits like that. So is Kimmel like an illegitimate child of his or something?

That or Harrison Ford is the coolest guy ever.

I have no doubt he's a nice fellow. His charity work/rescue stuff is already proof of that. I just wish people like Leno or even John Stewart would realize when someone like Ford doesn't like doing their show and not have him on as a guest when he clearly looks like he'd rather be somewhere else.

it's his job. People like ford get paid to promote movies. actually acting is like 10% of their careers

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Hey, bob, stroke my ego a little. Was my little pharmacological babbling at least somewhat enlightening?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I think I might like to be a teacher at a community college as my full time job someday

I could definitely see doing something like this

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    it's his job. People like ford get paid to promote movies. actually acting is like 10% of their careers

And I'd rather they not have Ford out there to promote a film if he's going to be clearly agitated stumping for it. Man's paid his due, send the director/writer/blowjob girl out there. Let Harrison be content with his stick.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Fuck, maybe I should just take out a student loan and start a master's.

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:
    Of course, my dream job is academia so I'm probably a little biased.
    so is ending up in Canada still a possibility for you once you finish your PhD?

• Options
    Aldo wrote:
    why does even the shittiest community college require a master's degree to teach

Because they can afford being picky.

Deal with it.
    Gee, thanks, that's so helpful.

how exactly would someone be helpful with that?

they require something

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    I think I might like to be a teacher at a community college as my full time job someday

I don't think "How To Roll a Joint 101" will ever be an accredited course skippy.

oh we'll see about that

we'll just see

You can always fall back on Feeding 500. Or Abandoning 450.

• Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular

Unless it's for a field that's hiring a lot of people with masters it's probably not worth the debt

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

That sounds like good money after bad.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:

And I'd rather they not have Ford out there to promote a film if he's going to be clearly agitated stumping for it. Man's paid his due, send the director/writer/blowjob girl out there. Let Harrison be content with his stick.

his job is to sell a billion tickets. part of him doing that is going on these shows to say 'hey I'm in this movie check it out'

it's like 10 minutes of his fucking charmed dream of a life. he can put on a grin.

we can see that he can be entertaining, he can't totally hate it or he wouldn't do bits like that. if he likes one show less than another maybe he could like, get over it, sit there smiling dreaming of the insane money he just made.

I like harrison ford a LOT too. but for him to not try to entertain when on a show like that irks me.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Frosteey wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

I don't think "How To Roll a Joint 101" will ever be an accredited course skippy.

oh we'll see about that

we'll just see

You can always fall back on Feeding 500. Or Abandoning 450.

I could do abandoning 450

feeding 500 looks to be a graduate level course

that'll have to be taught by someone with a PhD in the subject

*ahem* frosteey

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:

But can you promise to behave when a nubile young woman says, "Is there anything I can do to raise my grade? Anything?"

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Hey, bob, stroke my ego a little. Was my little pharmacological babbling at least somewhat enlightening?

As per usual, it was very helpful.

It was kinda nice to know about why people seem less likely to think I'm faking it with the drug combination I'm on. I never thought about it at the time, I was just so happy to have found after far too many years something which made the pain manageable enough I would concentrate at Uni.

Feral=awesome!

• Options
    Senjutsu wrote:

Unless it's for a field that's hiring a lot of people with masters it's probably not worth the debt

Yeah, the general rule of thumb is: is there a specific reason you want a master's?

It's not like "Bachelor's only better." A lot of people would be better off either getting a professional certification, or going straight to a PhD.

• Options
    Variable wrote:

But can you promise to behave when a nubile young woman says, "Is there anything I can do to raise my grade? Anything?"

no I can't

• Options
    BobCesca wrote:
    Feral wrote:

As per usual, it was very helpful.

It was kinda nice to know about why people seem less likely to think I'm faking it with the drug combination I'm on. I never thought about it at the time, I was just so happy to have found after far too many years something which made the pain manageable enough I would concentrate at Uni.

Feral=awesome!

Sweet, thanks.

And with that, I'm going to grab some lunch. Catch you all in a bit.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Senjutsu wrote:
    BobCesca wrote:
    Of course, my dream job is academia so I'm probably a little biased.
    so is ending up in Canada still a possibility for you once you finish your PhD?

If someone over there wants to give me a job, then yes. Same with other Commonwealth countries or even the States (if getting a work visa isn't a total pain in the ass).

I just want a job.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Job's are pretty great

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Senjutsu wrote:

this is probably true

my graduate work changed me as a person and give me a lot more knowledge about my subject area

which has zero bearing on my actual job

and I don't know if it's helped me be more marketable than I would be with two additional years of work experience, or not

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    Variable wrote:

Yes. Even kids learn not to lie!

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Just a warning: Most Community Colleges do not have Donald Glover or Allison Bree as students.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Feral wrote:
    Senjutsu wrote:

Yeah, the general rule of thumb is: is there a specific reason you want a master's?
    Yes. It's impossible to get a job researching politics without one, whether at a nonprofit or a college/university. This isn't some spur of the moment thing, I've wanted to do this for a long time, I just can't afford it without getting a job. There are quite a few positions out there for people with master's degrees in Poli Sci.

• Options
    Variable wrote:
    Variable wrote:

no I can't

Yeah sweety its called pay better attention in class and actually get the concepts.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    Maybe I should start looking into teaching community college. I had considered it for a little while but never really took it anywhere...but landing a position like that right now sounds about as good as it could get.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011

This is awesome. Paul Stamets (the guy referenced as inspiration for the idea) has a really interesting talk on TED.com about the practical applications of fungi. Basically, they can do everything from rid your house of carpenter ants to cleaning up toxic petrochemical and radioactive (!) waste.

The suit sounds like a neat, if somewhat unnecessary, idea. I'd like to know that my corpse went to produce something beneficial.

TL DR on
  • Options

Okay, I'm going to leave in a minute, but first...

I can understand where she's coming from but the suit is kind of overkill. There are natural burial cemeteries where they'll just put your body in a biodegradable box in the ground with no chemical treatment so you can decompose naturally.

Everybody in my immediate circle knows that when I die, that's what I want. I have a place picked out, near Marin: http://www.foreverfernwood.com/

Someday I'm going to start making payments to that. I want them to plant a tree over me.

• Options
    Tim your avatar is broken.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I want to be dumped into the ocean

my wife thinks there may be laws against that

• Options
    Feral wrote:

Okay, I'm going to leave in a minute, but first...

I can understand where she's coming from but the suit is kind of overkill. There are natural burial cemeteries where they'll just put your body in a biodegradable box in the ground with no chemical treatment so you can decompose naturally.

Everybody in my immediate circle knows that when I die, that's what I want. I have a place picked out, near Marin: http://www.foreverfernwood.com/

Someday I'm going to start making payments to that. I want them to plant a tree over me.

Really feral? You want to have wood forever? Your sick its what you are.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Crap, I live in a state where you need a master's degree to teach elementary or high school students full time.

The concept of getting a college teaching job other than some horrible TA job forced upon me as part of grad school work study seems so remote I might as well not even bother.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    I think I got a lot out of doing postgrad. I finally did some real work/thinking and it gave me a lot more credibility when applying for certain jobs, has allowed me to easily get my current visa and most importantly, it gave me something to do when I was too ill to work full time after undergrad.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Tim your avatar is broken.

And my sig, too! The signature broke with the forum migration, and the avatar? Well, the user console had a 'remove avatar' button right next to the button for one of the settings/preferences pages. My mouse wheel is a little wonky, and I clicked it. No confirmation dialogue, and no backup of the image after my HDD died a few months ago.

/shrug

• Options
    I want to be dumped into the ocean

my wife thinks there may be laws against that

I always kind of wanted a viking funeral, or a funeral pyre. Something about my body being cleansed by fire while people chant. I think thats the Denethor in me, I swear he told me he'd pull out in time.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    john you are a man

This discussion has been closed.