As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sad Thread (Cheering Up Thread)

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Name him Lord Woofsey Von Barkington.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    We've had a Napoleon, and a Wellington.

I think this one's name is Winston.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    You got the Corgi!

He got the Corgi!

Yay!

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    I'm so sorry for your loss.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    name him Louis XIV

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    no one ever wants to name their dog Lord Woofsey Von Barkington.

• Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    no one ever wants to name their dog Lord Woofsey Von Barkington.

If this puppy hadn't already had a name I would've pitched it when my family got her.

• Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    we rescued a kitty from Sonic a few weeks ago

her name is Sonya. she's wonderful

284799_995801608761_33015866_43198515_5194542_n.jpg

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    i too have had a pug die. condolences, dude.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Skull Man I am allergic to cats, why would you do that

• Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Man I had debated whether or not I should post this. It's fucking long, mopey and horribly written like all of my posts but man it kinda helped writing it.

So this whole month I have been traveling across the US to get to Kodiak, AK on orders. The first half of the trip was going from Yorktown, Va to El Paso, Tx to drop off Tawnee my 14 year old golden retriver mix at my dads place.

6 years prior I had joined the USCG and told my sister to watch over my little girl. My dads new pregnant wife was not cool with having my dog around this new house they had just got so I needed a dog sitter sorta. My dog is a indoor family dog so her being kept outside all the time was out of the question for me. I promised my dad and his wife that after basic training I'll come pick her up and take her to my new station.

It takes me two years to get sent to a place where I can have a home and be there to be able to take care of a dog. So I drive from San Francisco to EP to pick her up on the way to Yorktown. There I find out my dog has been hit by car 1.5 years earlier but survived yet was not given proper treatment so her rear left leg is permanently damaged. She also been kept outside most of the time except during winter nights and her fur is matted horribly. Also a rumor from my at college sister that my dad was thinking of putting Tawnee to sleep. I got a quick groomer visit to shave her down which then showed how she looked pretty malnourished. We get the hell out of there for 4 years in Virginia.

The 4 years were pretty good with us as I got her healthy again for the most part with exercise, meds and love. Other than her giving me a shitty time trying to find a reasonable apartment and finding dog sitters for the times I had to be gone long periods, she was the best roommate. The last 2 years in Yorktown went to shit for me socially so I kinda gave up and just hoped for time to quickly pass so I can get new orders out of the area. I made and lost friends. I found and lost romantic interests. Tried to get more Internet people friendly but that didn't feel like much to me. But through all the 4 years I had this furry little kid by me all the time.

Sometimes I did think I was going down that crazy lane of the old cat lady. Like how I considered this dog to be an actual little kid or person that lived with me. She seemed to be as smart as a 2 year old child. She has a personality that is way more describable then just oh she is a dog. While she was friendly to everyone there times when a stranger was near and Tawnee would hide behind men like a shy kid or not let anyone walk her by the leash except me. Me and her had this way of being able to communicate with each other or I could at the very least always know what she wanted to tell me. At the same time she was also this little old lady that lived in my apartment. She would hobble around cause her bad leg was bothering her and she have trouble sometimes with too much physical activity. She sleeps a lot and barks at black people just like my grandmas did. Then again she is still just a dog and not exactly the best replacement for human interaction outside of work.

So cut to this past spring when I knew that I'd be getting my new orders soon. Number 1 thing on my mind with moving is my dog. Like I have no idea what kind new things I'd be doing job wise to where I couldn't be home often. Also if the new area is even shittier in trying to find a place that allows big dogs. I joked around a lot about if anyone wanted to adopt an old dog or that I'd just put her down now before any big health problems set in. There was no way I could do those things anyways even with my certain views on death.

Lo and behold though I get the very last choice I put down on my dream location sheet: Kodiak. Just a quick rundown on the area and getting there already told me that Tawnee was definitely not going. So one thing I can think of is to drop off Tawnee at my dads again. After 6 years there is now a little rat terrier named Penny that lives a good life in the house and a 6 year old boy with tons of different exotic pets that he takes care of pretty well. I offer a bribe to my father with a new HDTV that my dog will live just as well as Penny and his youngest son can take care of her. I mean really now for the most part she is just a snoring rug decoration most of the day so no reason she can't be inside compared to the wily rat terrier.

I get to el paso and stay a week. Tawnee didn't seem to recognize anything or anyone there and would not leave my side. During the night I would sleep in a super hot guest room and she would be on the side of the bed the whole night panting till she passed out. Usually she'd go find a cooler part of a house or at least sleep on some tile which there was plenty of there. As the week went on she seemed to be better at being around others but as soon as l'd leave a room or something she would haul up that old body of hers quick in order to follow me. So come the last morning I was in El Paso and I had to say goodbye.

I took as many photos on my phone as i could and one long video. I sat with her on the carpet for an hour just petting, scratching and rubbing her. It was getting late and needed to get on the road. I choked up a lot and gave her a long hug telling her that she is a good girl over and over. Not only was I doing a big goodbye cause I was leaving but given her age, health and breed, I am pretty sure we are never going to see each other again. She almost seemed to understand cause she did her sad/scared bow and shove head thing into me. Everyone was out of the house that morning which also helped hammer in that Tawnee is going to be alone with out me too. After 4 years of just us plus most of her other years, I am the one she knows best.

So after that major sadness I went to pick up my best human friend who agreed to do the road trip with me to Bellingham, Wa to catch a ferry to Alaska. Due to sightseeing, driving and just general business till just today kept my mind off poor old Tawnee. During the trip there were discussions on our lives and how without my dog I am pretty much alone in a family sense. My friend would suggest just up and getting a new dog cause really what is the big deal as they are all pretty much the same and it would help cope with loss or loneliness. I would get extremely angry at the notion. You don't get a new dog as a rebound from the last one that's gone. That you can train another dog to act just like the one you had. I would throw in the outrageous analogy of a couple that loses a child so they just go and fuck some more right after the funeral to replace the kid. Then I remembered that Tawnee was a replacement puppy.

Back on july 4th '97, our dog Ginger escaped the backyard with her uncanny ability to climb fences and walk on them like a cat. We were out with festivities and Ginger was probably frightened by fireworks going off. We found her on the side of the road 3 days later with a blanket over her. My mother told me and my sis & bro to stay in the car. I found out later that someone was nice enough to put a blanket over the missing lower half of her body. This was during a time my mother was living in San Antonio, Tx and I lived with my father back in El Paso. I go an visit the next summer for a month or so and discover this new almost a year old puppy. Big ol head with big paws and a dark brown coat. I immediately didn't like her cause my mom got her as a replacement for Ginger which I thought was a horrible thing to do even back in middle school. But by the end of the month we were the best of buddies me and Tawnee. Later that year my dad and I would go pick up Tawnee and bring her to live with us in El Paso.

I have talked to my dad periodically through the trip out here and of course ask how Tawnee is coping. She apparently being Tawnee. He said she seemed depressed for a couple of days but seems fine now. Tawnee has a thing against closed doors so she busts open my dads half closed bedroom door at night and sleeps in there now. Which is cute too cause she did always choose to sleep in my dads room when she was younger.

Anyways this is my first post in like over a month I think on here. The death of a dog was a depressing lure for me to throw up my own sad post. So here I am in kodiak Alaska. Posting on an iphone with Edge service. In a big squad bay where I am the only person assigned to stay in here all alone until I can find a real place to live. All alone without my best little furry friend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    awwwwwwww

8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    My kitty had to be put down yesterday, most of you know, but here is a nice picture of her:

P1020002.jpg

2010_1201WinterNov20100021-1.jpg

I am sad, but she wasn't in pain and until a day ago she was well and not weak at all, so in a way I'm glad it happened this way.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    oh no kiiiittttyyyy

josh you should name your new dog "Dog" until it earns its blood name

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My grandma had that exact breed of cat, I'm sorry to hear that.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    To make things worse there is someone on this forum who posts in D&D with a picture of her from a few years ago as his avatar (it is a funny picture) and he asked to use it, which was fine at the time! But now I hope I don't come across him because I will get upset and I wish he didn't have it. I can't remember his name.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Oh liiya.

Losing pets is always hard.

I am so sorry for you.

• Options
    Cool kitty. :D Sorry Liiya.

My sister just got a rescue kitty. They tried introducing her to my eons old cat. Didn't work out. My cat was all "hssssssss." and puffed up.

Kitten did not get it. Kept strolling up, like "hey big cat, how you doi-WHOAH SHIT" and ran away, over and over again.

My cat has been around since I was little, but she hasn't lived with me for 5 years. Still totally my cat. But she's still around, no idea what it'll feel like when she's gone. :/

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Welp new dog took a liquid shit on the white carpet of our rental house at 3 in the morning

This did not endear him to the wife, who was already edgy about getting a dog so soon

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    i went to visit my halfbrother and sister recently, enquired about their 18 year old cat named tom who i had since i was 8

he died months ago and nobody told me

Beasteh on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Welp new dog took a liquid shit on the white carpet of our rental house at 3 in the morning

This did not endear him to the wife, who was already edgy about getting a dog so soon

He's probably just nervous about being in a new house. Worse case scenario, rent a carpet cleaner. A year from now, you won't even remember the carpet, you'll be too busy remembering a year of awesome memories with an awesome dog.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Beasteh wrote:
    i went to visit my halfbrother and sister recently, enquired about their 18 year old cat named tom who i had since i was 8

he died months ago and nobody told me

That sucks man, sorry to hear that

@jkylefulton: It probably has more to do with the fact that he's pretty skinny and we got him wet food to mix in with the dry to try and put a little weight on him. It was probably too rich compared to what the pound was feeding him. Not really his fault, I know, and my wife knows too, but still. It was black diarrhea on white carpet. We used some all-natural pet stain remover with bacteria that is supposed to decompose it or some shit. Hopefully it works. In the meantime, he sleeps in the bathroom just in case. He actually did fairly well when I put him in there last night after cleaning up the mess, only a few short whimpers but nothing ear-splitting like you sometimes get.

Also, I've never owned a dog this big. He jumps up on people (my little kids too) which is unacceptable with a baby on the way and pulls the leash. I understand with the leash pulling you need to just stop moving until he gives you some slack. Any other big dog tips? I'm already prepared to take him out for a run every now and then to get some of the puppy energy out.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Josh, read lots and lots of marmaduke comics to learn all about keeping big dogs.

• Options
    Josh, the running will help. You just have to be firm with him and make sure he knows jumping is Bad.

Also today my kitty got her claws stuck on something in my closet and only started meowing (in that sad, low-pitched tone) when she got hungry. Poor kitty.

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I am so sorry. :( My heart breaks for you, really.

• Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    He's a corgi, they're herding dogs remember that, it's suggested on average they should receive around an hour of exercise a day. They're also very intelligent so once you get him settled into a routine, and teach him the basics, he'll adhere to them.

And jumping is especially bad for a corgi's health. In time it'll start to mess with his hind legs because they're so stumpy. A good deterrent, and I know this seems a little harsh, but next time he jumps up or against you hard just shove him back a little. Use your leg and stonewall him, as a breed they're particularly stocky and well built. Of course be careful, he's just trying to show affection, but be firm enough to let him know he can't keep doing that especially with your kids.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    How old is he, Josh?

If you can afford it, maybe get him some obedience classes? Corgis are smart and can be stubborn as hell. My corgi/beagle, before he got too old for walks, always always pulled the lead taut.

Also they will do anything for a treat. Go to a pet store and buy a bag of those tiny little treats that come in packs of 50 or 100. They wont make him a fatty and they won't cost much, but they're excellent for training.

#pipe on
  • Options
    Yeah even when he's nearing seven my purebred corgi still pulls the lead every now and then, and is still the floppy eared curmudgeon he was the day we got him. Like pipe said, those sorts of little treats will keep him obedient help heaps, once they have an incentive corgis learn most tricks and commands real quick.

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    in my experience

corgis are never not hungry

• Options
    edited July 2011
    Dear god that is true. Mine wolfs down his dinner within seconds. And after that he's still hungry and will give us the puppy eyes while we eat. Also be careful, this is just anecdotal of course, but my dog is a con artist through and through.

When we first brought him home he had no idea how to get up and down the front and garden stairs. So we carried him. At seven months he was nearly fully grown so this was an ordeal. Then the next day my mum goes down to let him in, and as she bends to pick him up he races up the garden stairs then looks back with the biggest fucking grin ever.

And not too long ago I came home a little late and my parents were out. It was just passed dinner, when we usually feed the dog, so I got the bowl ready and everything and just as I'm about to set it down, him wagging his tail off in excitement, I for some reason decide to call my dad and ask if he's already been fed. He had. Well played, dog, well played.

And Josh, despite all this and while we may make it seem like they're a huge hassle, whatever trouble a corgi gives you is just as much as any other dog but it's so worth it. For a few sighs and groans you get in return one hell of a smart, loyal and endlessly loving member of the family.

Gatsby on
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Do you have any dog parks in your area? It'll give him a chance to use his herding skills, and it'll give him a chance to burn off a lot of energy.

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    Corgis: highly efficient poop machines

• Options
    Thanks for the tips guys. We'll take him to the dog park today (even though it is like 115 god damn degrees out) and he stayed in the bathroom while we were gone this morning with no accidents, whining or tearing up the door. So I have a lot of hope that he'll turn into a model corgi.

• Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sad lately but it's nothing to do with pets so I'm just gonna sulk and post okay?

(It's relationship[t]...)

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Man, Staleghoti, fuck guys or girls

Whichever one you are in a relationship with

But maybe guys a little bit less than girls since I am a guy

• Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    girls

yeah...fuckdatshit

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    If we could, we wouldn't be sad, AM I RIGHT!?

Naw but relationships. Maan. Relationships. If I had a pound for every bloody relationship... OOOH.

Yeah, I like being single. But I am definitely not asexual. Nope. Just a very boring hetero.

So back to dogs! Only not really, cause I'm a cat guy.

I really want a Maine Coon. But;

1) I rent from my nan, who is a crazy cat lady in reverse, and hates cats.

2) I live in the UK, where Maine Coons kinda don't exist.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I never really thought about it that way, but I suppose if a lady hated cats enough to, say, harm them, she would also be a crazy cat lady, just for a different reason

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I'm not coming back to this thread :c

hugs to all of you

• Options
    edited July 2011
    She runs out into the garden to chase them off.

Due to my hateful efforts, I have crafted an incredible garden, where birds nestle in the leafy sanctuary in the midst of the cold urban concrete jungle that is where I live. Because of this, cats fucking love it. And I mean, I hate gardening, so the grass is really long now. And they act like tiny lions in there.

So she runs out into the garden to chase the cats away. And I stand, and stare, in dazed wonder, every. Single. Time.

EDIT: Even me!? I thought you wanted to kill me, Anti? With like, knives?

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant