As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cat won't stop irritating her eye

FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night manChampion of the sunRegistered User regular
edited July 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My cat has had a small sore above her eye for a few weeks now. It will go away to a tiny little scab, and then I'll notice her "cleaning" her eye and it will be red and swollen looking again. Inspecting closely, it's not anything to do with her actual eyeball, it looks like a small pimple just above, on the skin. I don't want to take her to the vet just so he can tell me it's a pimple and she keeps irritating it herself.

Here is a picture I took today. Her eye is slightly closed mainly from the flash, but sometimes she does squint it a bit after she's been pawing at it.

2b63d0c1-1-1.jpg

And just because, here are a couple more shots:
9151a8e7.jpg
137ae2c0.jpg

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
Figgy on

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Easiest would probably be one of those cones. Gives it a chance to heal all the way.

i.e.

DugUp.jpg

FF on
    Huh...
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    That occurred to me, but isn't that a tad extreme?

Is there something I can buy to aid in the healing of it? Like a cream from the pet store or something? Someone at work told me to put polysporin drops on it, but I don't necessarily want to use human medicine on my cat.

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    they have soft flexible cotton or something discs instead of cones now too. looks like the cat is coming out of a tea kettle coaster

• Options
    TerraTerra Registered User regular
    If it's been going on for a couple weeks, you might want to take her to the vet. Other than that, I second the Cone of Shame. Something's making her want to scratch and an ointment might just annoy her even more, leading to more scratching.

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Cone of Shame is the way to go, that's most likely what the vet would give you anyway. And yeah, it's not a good idea to use human medicine on a cat without asking a vet first, especially since without a cone, the cat is likely to continue cleaning the wound, thus ingesting any ointment you put on the eye.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    One of our cats gets that occasionally (like twice in a year and a half). It always clears up after a week or two... I was assuming it was just a bug bite or something.

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    She had something similar a couple years ago when we first moved into our house, but it was closer to the top of her head. I did some snooping and there was a 6" gap in the crawlspace (where her litter is) and I thought maybe she was getting back there to explore and scratching herself. So, I drywalled the gap. The wound went away a week later.

Maybe it was just something she gets? Is there some sort of recurring skin problem cats can have? Come to think of it, she had a little sore on her chin shortly after we adopted her, but I attributed it to her plastic food dish her previous owner gave us. I switched to porcelain and it went away.

The plot thickens!

So, where do I find these cones?

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Any reasonably-sized pet supply store.

Here's an example of one of the soft cones from Petco.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Yeah, our other cat has the plastic allergy and gets the little pimples on his chin if he has a plastic food dish.

It's possible it's an allergic reaction to something, though pinpointing what may be difficult... if it were the litter, she would more likely have signs on her paws and legs.

Allegedly a voice of reason.