As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stargate: The (Re)watch Thread - SG-1 Season Three

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I forgot there was like straight up boobies in the first couple episodes. The 90's were a wild and crazy time.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I thought it was just the first episode?

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Man, Stargate. How about some of those tok'ra costumes?

sg1_anise.jpg

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    SimBen wrote:
    I still haven't seen the second season, but Universe does get better. They're just trying way too hard to be BSG though.

It's a really slow creep up to get you to care about the characters, whereas both SG-1 and Atlantis had immediately lovable characters. And SGU has nothing except its characters.

To be honest me no longer watching the show after a few episodes wasn't my direct decision, the channel that originally carried that show over here just decided not to fucking bother after I think the third or fourth episode. I caught an episode somewhere in season 2 at random and things had gotten a little more interesting.

But the pilot really soured the show for me. Ignoring all the nitpickey stuff (like the premise of how the Stargate program discovered Eli), I can't get over the fact that them being stuck on that ship is entirely Rush's fault. Which would be fine if he interested me as a character or if anyone really interested me, but in the episodes I saw that wasn't the case.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm one of very few SG1 fans that didn't completely hate the Ori arc. Although I was kind of hoping there would have been more exploration of the religious themes inherent in that storyline, considering the first ten years of the show was SG1 convincing all these enslaved humans that their gods weren't gods at all, just superintelligent alien snakes with really neat gadgets. Then we meet the Ori, who for all intents and purposes really ARE gods. I was expecting there to be more extensive discussions about that, like Daniel chatting up the Priors about their beliefs; and it didn't really happen outside of that one episode with Ketesh's former slaves.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Veretas wrote:
    I forgot there was like straight up boobies in the first couple episodes. The 90's were a wild and crazy time.

It was on Showtime.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Still

Wild and Crazy

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    You fail me yet again, youtubes

Can't find a vid of Jack going crazy with an LMG in the middle of camp against that invisible guy

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I liked the Ori storyline. I think if they'd had more time, they could have developed it better/differently.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Man, Stargate. How about some of those tok'ra costumes?

sg1_anise.jpg

Once I was watching an episode with her in it when my dad walked in

He was like "I watched Star Trek for the same reason when I was a kid"

Claudia Black was the hottest woman on the show though. When Daniel Jackson turned her down I was like WHAAAAAAT

• Options
    Well to be fair it's highly probable that they got it on sometime during that montage in Unending.

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    JAFFA
    KREE

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Claudia Black was awesome, and Valla was directly responsible for the best SG-1 episode ever, "Ties that bind" (9x4).

Here's a bunch of heroes that have saved the galaxy from innumerable threats. Let's watch them turn into errand-running lackeys for an episode.

• Options
    Mysst wrote:
    JAFFA
    KREE

Chel Nak

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I have all of SG-1 on DVD. Love that show. I liked Atlantis okay, but I could not get into Universe at all.

I don't think I will be able to watch along entirely on schedule, but I'm game.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Mysst wrote:
    JAFFA
    KREE

KREE
    JAFFAR

Solar on
  • Options
    Tox wrote:
    Claudia Black was awesome, and Valla was directly responsible for the best SG-1 episode ever, "Ties that bind" (9x4).

Here's a bunch of heroes that have saved the galaxy from innumerable threats. Let's watch them turn into errand-running lackeys for an episode.

Oh god the fetch-quest episode.

ugggggh

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Really, though, I'm just a little annoyed at the fact that we were promised more direct-to-DVD movies, and they did not deliver.

Tox wrote:

Oh god the fetch-quest episode.

ugggggh

It was the greatest episode! Nobody denies this!

Tox on
  • Options
    Vala was such an awful character. She was good for a one-off episode, but making her a part of the team? Terrible.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    I liked all the gates...Universe was....decent...if they would have given it another season i think it would have gotten alot more love then it started with. I think the problem was they focused more on being in the ship then the gate visits which is what made the difference between SG1 or Atlantis and BSG.

Atlantis i think had characters on par with SG1...I didnt think i would like atlantis and shunned it for awhile, when the season dvd's were on sale i picked up one or two to give it a try and found myself surprised at how much i liked the cast, especially the ones i didnt think i would like (Rodney).

I hope someone brings it back one day.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    The Geek wrote:
    Vala was such an awful character. She was good for a one-off episode, but making her a part of the team? Terrible.

Look, the only piece ever really missing from the team was the rogue. Vala was the rogue. They needed her all along, they just never knew it.

SG-1 circa season 9-10 had the perfect team. You had Cam, the paladin, Teal'c, the barbarian, Daniel, the cleric, Sam, the wizard, and Vala, the rogue.

Tell me I'm wrong.

Tox on
  • Options
    Vala was not so great

BUT

Claudia Black

• Options
    edited August 2011
    Vala and Daniel just had such pitch-perfect chemistry right from her first appearance.

I would watch a show that was just the two of them skipping around the galaxy getting into trouble.

I would watch that show so hard.

DivideByZero on
  • Options
    Tox wrote:
    The Geek wrote:

Look, the only piece ever really missing from the team was the rogue. Vala was the rogue. They needed her all along, they just never knew it.

SG-1 circa season 9-10 had the perfect team. You had Cam, the paladin, Teal'c, the barbarian, Daniel, the cleric, Sam, the wizard, and Vala, the rogue.

Tell me I'm wrong.

You are wrong.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Yeah the perfect team is the classic team

O'Neal, Teal'c, Carter and Jackson

Anything without Jackson is worse off instantly btw

• Options
    Jonas Quinn was a good character, though.

Vala was just terrible.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Jonas Quinn was pretty cool

I wished he could have stayed on as, like, Daniel Jackson's buddy back at base who helped him do all the cool stuff

• Options
    Jonas grew on me as the season went on. His genuine enthusiasm was infectious, and countered everyone else's broody moments.

Vala was great because she was proof that there was more to the galaxy out there than just Goa'uld + Jaffa + Slaves + worlds they hadn't enslaved yet. Also because, after Jack left, there was nobody else on the team that could take things less seriously.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I couldn't hate the Ori arc just because I love Farscape and I was so happy to see Ben Browder and Claudia Black.

Which I know is exactly the cheap pass they wanted me to give them, but sue me.

• Options
    GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    God, I love Star Gate so much. It's something my boyfriend and I watch ALL the time. He tells me he enjoys watching it with me because I know alternate mythologies about the stuff they're referencing, so he loves the compare/contrast I do during Hulu breaks.

By the way... The Set'esh Guard joke that Teal'c tells during that cult episode is just classic.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Mysst wrote:
    JAFFA
    CAKE

• Options
    God, I love Star Gate so much. It's something my boyfriend and I watch ALL the time. He tells me he enjoys watching it with me because I know alternate mythologies about the stuff they're referencing, so he loves the compare/contrast I do during Hulu breaks.

By the way... The Set'esh Guard joke that Teal'c tells during that cult episode is just classic.

Yes!

• Options
    The Set'esh Guard's.....

nose drips

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    The Geek wrote:
    The Set'esh Guard's.....

nose drips

*Teal'c erupts with laughter in what is, to the rest of the team, the oddest thing they've ever seen*

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote:

Yeah that was just in the pilot. Brad Wright and Jonathan Glassner were basically 100% against it but the Showtime execs insisted. Pretty sure that scene is heavily edited when they remade the episode a couple years ago.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Mysst wrote:
    JAFFA
    KREE

I said KREE!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Yep, just the pilot. Not sure if there's a scene in each of the first two, or just the second, or what, but yeah.

• Options
    azith28 wrote:
    I liked all the gates...Universe was....decent...if they would have given it another season i think it would have gotten alot more love then it started with. I think the problem was they focused more on being in the ship then the gate visits which is what made the difference between SG1 or Atlantis and BSG.

Atlantis i think had characters on par with SG1...I didnt think i would like atlantis and shunned it for awhile, when the season dvd's were on sale i picked up one or two to give it a try and found myself surprised at how much i liked the cast, especially the ones i didnt think i would like (Rodney).

I hope someone brings it back one day.

The only terrible Atlantis character was Ford. And they realized this, which is why he was turned into an unresolved plotline after season 1.

Also I wasn't a huge fan of Teyla, she was like a female Teal'c but without all the fun. She worked for what it was worth. At least she had a personality. Unlike Ford.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    Man, SG1 was awsome. I only realised the main reason I liked it was Richard Anderson after he left though.

I've only watched a couple episodes of the Ori arc, all I remember was a really really shitty CGI dragon. Was the entire arc so different from the Go'uld stuff?