As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NYC/NJ] hangout thread: so, what are you doing this weekend?

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    TomeWyrm wrote:
    Gooey wrote:
    FEAR GOOEY THE CONQUEROR
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Gooey, level 1
    Human, Barbarian
    Feral Might Option: Rageblood Vigor
    Human Power Selection Option: Bonus At-Will Power
    Berserker - Follower of Kord (+2 to Perception)
    Theme: Uthgardt Barbarian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 20, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 11

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 18, CON 14, DEX 10, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 11

AC: 14 Fort: 18 Ref: 12 Will: 11
    HP: 29 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +9, Endurance +6, Intimidate +5, Perception +6

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics –1, Arcana +0, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Dungeoneering –1, Heal –1, History +0, Insight –1, Nature –1, Religion +0, Stealth –1, Streetwise +0, Thievery –1

POWERS
    Basic Attack: Melee Basic Attack
    Basic Attack: Ranged Basic Attack
    Uthgardt Barbarian Utility: Thunder Stomp
    Barbarian Feature: Swift Charge
    Barbarian Attack 1: Foe to Foe
    Barbarian Attack 1: Devastating Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Howling Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Avalanche Strike
    Barbarian Attack 1: Bloodhunt Rage

FEATS
    Level 1: Human Perseverance
    Level 1: Deadly Rage

ITEMS
    Hide Armor x1
    Adventurer's Kit
    Greataxe x1
    ====== End ======

so did i do good for a person whos understanding of d&d is limited to the PA podcasts

Looks pretty solid to me. Nothing seems missing and this guy will definitely succeed at hitting things often and hard, which is the job of a striker. Only thing to keep in mind is that with a low AC you're going to get hit a lot as well. Sort of like a heavyweight with a glass jaw.

Okay cool. Would + to saving throws help? because that's what you're doing when you're KOed, right?

Also since i posted this I switched out a feat (perserverance?) for an executioners axe so i ought to hit a bit harder.

919UOwT.png
  • LitejediLitejedi New York CityRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Here's a character. Mostly leader, but tough as nails a pretty solid defender to boot.
    Stream, level 1
    Longtooth Shifter, Cleric/Warden
    Hybrid Cleric Option: Battle Cleric's Lore
    Hybrid Warden Option: Hybrid Warden Fortitude
    Geography - Forest (+2 to Perception)
    Theme: Guardian

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 18, CON 14, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 16, CHA 10

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 16, CON 14, DEX 13, INT 8, WIS 14, CHA 10

AC: 19 Fort: 15 Ref: 11 Will: 14
    HP: 28 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Athletics +11, Endurance +9, Nature +8, Perception +10

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +1, Arcana –1, Bluff +0, Diplomacy +0, Dungeoneering +3, Heal +3, History –1, Insight +3, Intimidate +0, Religion –1, Stealth +1, Streetwise +0, Thievery +1

POWERS
    Guardian Attack: Guardian's Counter
    Longtooth Shifter Racial Power: Longtooth Shifting
    Cleric Utility: Healing Word
    Warden Feature: Warden's Fury
    Warden Feature: Warden's Grasp
    Battlemind Feature: Battlemind's Demand
    Warden Attack 1: Resilience of Life
    Cleric Attack 1: Righteous Brand
    Cleric Attack 1: Healing Strike
    Warden Attack 1: Form of Winter's Herald

FEATS
    Level 1: Demanding Talent

ITEMS
    Greatsword x1
    Scale Armor x1
    Adventurer's Kit
    ====== End ======

Battle Cleric's Lore is so good.

Litejedi on
    3DS FC: 1907-9450-1017
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • TomeWyrmTomeWyrm A Limited Liability Partnership Registered User regular
    Man yeah that free shield bonus? Craziness.

Here's a guy for Syndalis' game:
    Asher Holt, level 1
    Revenant, Warlock
    Eldritch Pact Option: Vestige Pact
    Eldritch Blast Option: Eldritch Blast Constitution
    Choose your Race in Life: Tiefling
    Inherent Bonuses
    Cursed (Stealth class skill)
    Theme: Outlaw

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    STR 8, CON 18, DEX 14, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 12

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    STR 8, CON 16, DEX 12, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 12

AC: 15 Fort: 14 Ref: 14 Will: 12
    HP: 30 Surges: 10 Surge Value: 7

TRAINED SKILLS
    Arcana +8, Intimidate +8, Stealth +7, Thievery +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics +2, Athletics –1, Bluff +1, Diplomacy +1, Dungeoneering +0, Endurance +6, Heal +0, History +3, Insight +0, Nature +0, Perception +0, Religion +3, Streetwise +1

POWERS
    Outlaw Attack: Surprise Strike
    Revenant Utility: Dark Reaping
    Warlock's Curse Power: Warlock's Curse
    Warlock Attack 1: Eldritch Blast
    Warlock Attack 1: Eyes of the Vestige
    Warlock Attack 1: Chains of Levistus
    Warlock Attack 1: Vestige of Mount Vaelis

FEATS
    Level 1: Superior Implement Training (Accurate rod)

ITEMS
    Accurate rod x1
    Leather Armor x1
    Adventurer's Kit
    ====== End ======

I've been toying with the idea of a revenant vestige warlock for a while, and I really like the concept of a dude who basically shoots ghosts at people.

Vestige'lock is one of my favorite classes/builds too. It's just a shame that so many of the bonus vestige abilities are crummy.

lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So... Sunday, mid afternoon, in Jersey City at nexus's abode.

I will be running a Neverwinter Campaign, characters will be level 1 to start.

We are starting with BASICS, folks; there are a couple of folks new to the game, and the setting seems like the perfect place to set a good D&D tone.

Nexus will determine how many people he is happy to host. I have run a 12 person table before, but that was insane and I doubt I will want to do that again. Probably 6-7 people, with Nexus, Gooey, Yami and TomeWyrm confirmed as in.

If this goes well, I will run this game for 4-6 sessions over the next couple months as we find time to line up.

Looking forward to it!

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'd be interested in joining if there's room for me. How accessible is Nexus' place if I'm coming from Brooklyn?

Vanguard wrote:
    I'd be interested in joining if there's room for me. How accessible is Nexus' place if I'm coming from Brooklyn?

His place isn't too hard to reach. I'm also leaving from Brooklyn, and it usually takes me around an hour to get from my apartment to his, depending on how the trains are feeling that day.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Cool. I'm in for this Sunday. Should I roll my character prior to the session? I'm running my PF game this Friday, so I probably won't have time to draft anything until Saturday. Does this work for you, syndalis?

To give some background, I've never played 4e (though I have looked at the books). However, I played 3.0 -> 3.5 -> PF (and many other gaming systems) so I know my way around the gaming table.

Let me know if there's room.

• YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Oh, right, should I pick up any source books or material before I show up? I've gamed in various systems so I'm familiar with them but I don't own any of the books. I can get the basic ones easily. Or do I just need my dice bag and all the nerdery I can carry?

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    So, I just found out I *HAVE* to attend a memorial service on Sept 11th. It runs from noon to 4pm. This throws a big wrench into my game running plans.

Is Saturday afternoon from 2-6pm or so manageable for you folks? If not, it may be a couple weeks before we can pull this together.

As for you, @YamiNoSenshi - you don't NEED to buy anything if someone nearby has a Player's Handbook foor you to borrow. If not, that is the only book that needs to be bought.

I plan on showing up with a ton of material if people want to build a more Forgotten-Realms centric character and don't have access to the books.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    So, I just found out I *HAVE* to attend a memorial service on Sept 11th. It runs from noon to 4pm. This throws a big wrench into my game running plans.

Is Saturday afternoon from 2-6pm or so manageable for you folks? If not, it may be a couple weeks before we can pull this together.

As for you, @YamiNoSenshi - you don't NEED to buy anything if someone nearby has a Player's Handbook foor you to borrow. If not, that is the only book that needs to be bought.

I plan on showing up with a ton of material if people want to build a more Forgotten-Realms centric character and don't have access to the books.

What version of the handbook? I'll see if one of my friends has a copy.

syndalis wrote:

What version of the handbook? I'll see if one of my friends has a copy.
    4th edition. Good news is, you don't need dice to make your character, so even just access to the PDF of the character creation rules is enough.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    saturday is great for me

919UOwT.png
    I think I can make Saturday work, but it shall take some effort. Or making my wife take the bus. Which is kinda a dick move when she has to work on a Saturday.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    I think I can make Saturday work, but it shall take some effort. Or making my wife take the bus. Which is kinda a dick move when she has to work on a Saturday.

couldn't she just drop you at the train station?

@Gooey - think of a northern animal, like an Elk, Wolf, etc. - Gonna totally make your barbarian clan, and they all have animal spirits as a rule.

I am beginning to write hooks for the characters I have. You are all gonna have a reason to work together right out of the gate, yessiree.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    I'm afraid Saturday isn't possible for me :( If you guys want to play the first session without me that's totally cool though. I can always jump in at a later game!

syndalis wrote:
    @Gooey - think of a northern animal, like an Elk, Wolf, etc. - Gonna totally make your barbarian clan, and they all have animal spirits as a rule.

RAD

Hmm....A grizzly bear seems appropriate for a giant axe wielding barbarian. Wolves seem more like swordish to me and elk would be a spear. A seal would be a club/hammer. For obvious reasons.

I can't think of any other northern animals.

But grizzly bear. Totally.

919UOwT.png
    PERFECT.

Sorry to hear you can't make it, @TomeWyrm - you have a promised seat next game

Who else can make it Saturday?

SW-4158-3990-6116
    dee twenty set GET

i am totally practicing my rolls

shooting for about 5% twenties

919UOwT.png
    Okay, yeah, Saturday works for me. I can drop Allie off at work in the morning and she can hitch a ride from a coworker in the evening.

aaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!

I am sorry for being so weird, but the memorial got delayed to Tuesday, so I can do Sunday again if that's better for people.

@TomeWyrm @nexuscrawler @YamiNoSenshi @Gooey @LiteJedi - I hope you aren't getting mad at my waffling here, but I would like to keep everyone if possible.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    either day is cool as long as i can d&d

Whatever gets us the most people

919UOwT.png
    Gooey wrote:
    either day is cool as long as i can d&d

Whatever gets us the most people
    Oh, you can totally D&D with the fine folks of D&D.

I m having so much fun with your intro, Gooey.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    I can do Sunday, and I may be able to drive people if they're willing to come up to Washington Heights first.

lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    You are king of the waffles. I can do either day just let me know so I can coordinate with my infinitely patient wife. Do I need to prep anything in advance? I see other people setting up characters.

yeah, I'm going to line up with you and nexus to make sure you have what you need to build a character.

Think in MMO terms; do you want to be a striker, a tank, a controller, a healer, a buffbot? Some combination of these things?

Lots of good options.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    edited September 2011
    Someone should probably make a dedicated leader too. Maybe an enabler for lulz.

I GOTS TO HAVE MY CRAZY COMBOS.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    Oh Sunday again now? I should still be able to do that, yeah. Also I'd be willing to put aside the warlock and play a leader if we need one.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Chaos tomorrow?

I am soooo excited

919UOwT.png
    Gyah! This weekend is just not being cooperative with me at all. I can't do Sunday now, as it turns out. Saturday is now a possibility, though...probably? I'm so confused right now. Has a day been confirmed for D&D?

Also I'm afraid I have to pass on Jersey tonight. This weekend is looking to be super wonky schedule-wise.

edited September 2011
    @TomeWyrm @litejedi @Gooey @nexuscrawler @YamiNoSenshi

Okay, so Saturday. Again.

I want to run this in a way that everyone can play who wants to... and this gives me the chance to get to nexus' abode tonight to play some Chaos, help make him a character, and get set up to run tomorrow.

Yami, if you can arrive before 2pm... like, 30 minutes to an hour before, we can crank out a character for you on nexus' computer.

This will be the last schedule change. I promise. Cross my freakin' heart.

@CasualEddy - There is room for you! And its on Saturday, not Sunday! DOOOO EEEEET

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i didn't like anyone I met

edited September 2011
    I'm going to bring two dudes. A lifespirit warden longtooth and the hybrid I posted earlier. They're thematically very similar, but I can't decide which I want.

Also a leader, probably an ardent because they're hilarious.

Litejedi on
    lj_graaaaahhhhh.gif
    Aye aye, mon capitan. 1:30 at casa de nexus.

Where is casa de @nexuscrawler?

edited September 2011
    GOOEY THE CONQUEROR SPILLS THE BLOOD OF HIS ENEMIES ON SATURDAY

do we like, need a google calendar or something so people can track their commitments?

also someone is going to have to tell me where nexus lives/how i get there

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Gooey, be sure to go to the liquor store around the corner from his apartment. It is surreal.

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i want to play a senile old wizard that thinks everything is an owl bear

@tyrannus - you want in?

SW-4158-3990-6116