As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad

• Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I feel bad that this game seems to be fading fast, but it really needed more time. It's so wonky.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I feel bad that this game seems to be fading fast, but it really needed more time. It's so wonky.

edit: But nothing is wonkier than these forums.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    From the TWI forums:

I found a somewhat workable method of copying another players rank.

I successfully had my rank at 42, then 73 and now at 85.
    Join a Ranked Server, spawn then get killed.
    Once spectating a teammate left click until you're viewing someone with a rank you want. Hurry you won't have much time until you spawn.
    Press escape and view your Profile and Achievements. Go to the weapons tab. If your stats are different that is a good sign.
    Close out and return to the game and select a spawn point if you haven't.
    If you have a symbol pop-up on the right side of the screen that means you're now at that rank. If you die now it won't stick and will be reset after the match is over.
    For it to stick you need to disconnect while alive.
    Once you're back in the main menu it is safe to view your profile.
    If you're just playing normally and you have step 5 happen, don't check your profile, it might show the new rank but it also might revert. Spawn and then disconnect from the server while still alive.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular

Nah. I'm surprised it got so much interest to be honest. RO has always been niche, from its days as a mod to Ostfront the player base has always been limited but dedicated.

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    I remember when they used german and russian names for soldier classes, the game has always been pretty niche. My niche :)

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    I think I'll give it another chance in a few months, once things shake down and a few patches have come out. At least the concept is there.

• Options
    WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/578935035176654975/4EAFB9F802B13DF8C65A83553FD3F088D7E31671

Man, how am I supposed to know it didnt work. Forums been f'd up m8.

What on
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    What wrote:
    4EAFB9F802B13DF8C65A83553FD3F088D7E31671

Look at this guy try and post I mean damn!!

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    cool ive got 600% accuracy with the k98, im just that good

and heh russians kept trying to flank behind zab's house on pavlov but were dumb enough to just look at our spawn, so i just kept shooting them in the back of the head. I think the game's at a good enough state now that I'd be happy with recommending it to others. Although, do battlefield promotions work for anyone else? Whenever I try and accept it I just end up getting that buggy thing where I can't do anything or spawn until I reselect my team + class

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Yes, this game is definitely amazing, and happily it has nowhere to go but up. The support for Red Orchestra was pretty great, and the support for Killing Floor has been phenomenal, so I'm hopeful that RO2 is just going to get better and better as time goes on.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    It has nowhere to go but up because it was released in a buggy incomplete state. The constant patches are a boon, even though they sometimes break more things (hello soundfix). But there's constant patches because the game is still broken, not just on a technical level but also on a design level.

• Options
    I'd rather see this level of ambition from independent devs than by-the-numbers productions even if it means that they had to ship in an incomplete and unpolished state. That is, as long as they support and polish the game after release.

• Options
    not using one fucking button for every action would be a fantastic idea

• Options
    not using one fucking button for every action would be a fantastic idea

• Options
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if I've just had a bunch of shitty games, or I simply don't like the game. I get a positive kill/death ratio pretty much every match, in the top third of the scoreboard, so it's not just that I'm bad at it, but I spend about a third of each match waiting (defending a point, or waiting 5+minutes for a respawn), and a whole fuckload of time just running from the spawn point to wherever I'm going, and then some guy's camped out somewhere along the way, shoots me in the back, and I start again. I think that knowledge of the map seems to be the most important part of the game, it's why I get 20-30 kills for every death on Apartments, but it means on Commissar's House and Station I just get shot over and over again with absolutely no idea where the other team is, not even a general 'in that building' or 'northish'. And I'm never going to learn the maps if I spend more time waiting to respawn than actually playing.

I think the game really needs a relatively safe way to play the maps, like a mode where there's a minimap with your enemies marked on it, or just let me play a 1v0 match so I can run around the map and see where everything is. Alternately, I might just uninstall it, because every time I play it lately I just come away bored and mildly annoyed.

• Options
    waiting 5 minutes for a respawn? what? Are you playing that dumb firefight mode or whatever

and uh the single player campaign is pretty much exactly 'learn the maps' time

and there is a server side option to show you where your killer was, roughly

• Options
    L|ama wrote:
    waiting 5 minutes for a respawn? what? Are you playing that dumb firefight mode or whatever

and uh the single player campaign is pretty much exactly 'learn the maps' time

and there is a server side option to show you where your killer was, roughly

No, in normal territory or whatever maps it sometimes just decides not to respawn me, and takes 2-5 minutes to let me back in.

True, but it's also really boring, and I normally find that playing against bots just trains me to play badly.

I like when that option's on, and if I had my way it would always be on for the first couple of matches I play on each map. Unfortunately it's a server option, not my option, so I normally don't get it.

There is a good game there somewhere, and I enjoy it when it's good, but it seems like between the matches that are shit and the amount of waiting I have to do, it's not really worth it. I was just playing then, and had some fun, but I really think they need to decide whether to have long delays between respawns OR a long run back into the action, not both.

• Options
    MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Yeah, sometimes the game won't spawn people. If you miss one wave, you're not getting back in until the commander forces a spawn or you leave the server.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    MegaMek wrote:
    Yeah, sometimes the game won't spawn people. If you miss one wave, you're not getting back in until the commander forces a spawn or you leave the server.

I think you can spawn if you change classes but Im not 100% on that.

• Options
    emp123 wrote:
    MegaMek wrote:

That worked for me once but I got bumped from an elite rifleman to a rifleman. I wonder if it's caused by one class being overloaded, like 3 snipers when you're only allowed 2, so it just decides you can't spawn.

Also, the lowest ping I've ever had is 80, which is around the highest ping I get in other games. The last match I was in I had around 120 and the average was around 250. It makes hitting a moving target a real pain.

• Options
    if you like the semi-auto rifles like me theres usually a free squad leader spot that you can take

i mean if youre really not enjoying it and cant be bothered slogging through the shitty stage i guess id wait a month or 2 if i were you

personally I avoid major ping issues by using good cover and running to close range, and usually only shooting if theyre standing still or running at/away from me, and I still tend to end up in the top few places of the team

sticking around objectives is the best advice I can give I guess

• Options
    Squad leaders have auto rifles too? I've only ever seen them with smgs.

I used to play as a German sniper, but lately it's been giving me the semi-auto rifle with a tiny little scope that's actually less useful than the iron sights, I always have to peek under the scope to use it. Is there any way to switch back to the bolt action with a scope?

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    Yes, when you are selecting a class you can change weapons on the right side of the screen.

I hate that tiny scope sniper...

• Options
    First time I saw that scope was in singleplayer, I fired my gun dry and got maybe two kills, then lost the mission. Peeking under the scope next time got me a whole mess of kills and a quick win. It just blocks off so much of my sight while showing such a tiny bit of what I'm aiming at. I saw that the unlock is a bigger scope, I may or may not bother to try unlocking it.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I kinda hate that you don't actually get the class slot until you've picked your weapon and hit ok, it's annoying to be deciding which weapon I want to take only to have the class filled by people spamming the "get to the choppa now" buttan.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    I kinda hate that you don't actually get the class slot until you've picked your weapon and hit ok, it's annoying to be deciding which weapon I want to take only to have the class filled by people spamming the "get to the choppa now" buttan.

That's probably why I've never noticed you can change weapon, I'm too busy trying to get a good rifle for myself.

Also, I really don't understand some people. Often when I'm looking out a window, by the time I step back to reload there are two or more other people shooting over my shoulder. Who sees a little window with two people shooting out, and thinks "I gotta get in on that!"? Although it's worse when someone does it with an MG.

• Options
    Why not just just pick your class real fast by clicking it, then continue, then before spawning, go back to the class menu and pick your weapon?

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I don't know about that "good rifle bit." I'm loving the bolt-action rifles these days. Center mass always gets a kill (as long as the hit detection doesn't wonk out), and bayonets.

STAB STAB STAB

• Options
    Why not just just pick your class real fast by clicking it, then continue, then before spawning, go back to the class menu and pick your weapon?
    That would be far too logical and clear-headed.

• Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    because I clearly didn't think of that. That's why!

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    MegaMek wrote:

That worked for me once but I got bumped from an elite rifleman to a rifleman. I wonder if it's caused by one class being overloaded, like 3 snipers when you're only allowed 2, so it just decides you can't spawn.

Also, the lowest ping I've ever had is 80, which is around the highest ping I get in other games. The last match I was in I had around 120 and the average was around 250. It makes hitting a moving target a real pain.

I think its either a bug or people getting battlefield commissions (which I think are random, I really dont know how they decide to give those out) and that person bumping you from your class.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    bought this Saturday and played it for a few hours...seems like it may have potential but its too buggy/jerky for the level of lethality. I like realistic/lifelike shooters, but the game itself is so poorly constructed(both technically and game-play issues) that it really doesn't work for me.

If it only takes 1 bullet, then your hit detection/ movement stutter/ graphical clipping/LoS stuff better be right on the money, otherwise the games just to damn frustrating.

Maybe I need to do all the graphic edit tho. Since visibility just feels generally poor too.

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    What is the process for dropping artillery? I got to a radio as commander and the timer was at 00:00, but the button wasn't lit. Do you need a 2nd person to mark the target for you?

• Options
    You can mark artillery as a commander too. It's not recommended though, because chances are you'll get shot on your way back to the radio to call it in.

Best course of action is to get on voice chat and badger the shit out of squad leaders. They should be marking artillery for the commander at all times.

• Options
    emp123 wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    MegaMek wrote:

I think its either a bug or people getting battlefield commissions (which I think are random, I really dont know how they decide to give those out) and that person bumping you from your class.

You can also simply change your gun, works the same as switching classes.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Someone has to get out binoculars, go into "iron sights" (look through them) and "shoot" a target (mark it).

edit: for artillery.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I always get nervous submitting a review like this: http://zcint.co.uk/article/red-orchestra-2-review

Already got a hateful comment as soon as it went up.

I hope the rest of you take it for what it is, an opinion. I do admit a certain bias for faster-paced multiplayer games, but even with that taken into account, there's no tip-toeing over the technical issues that should be apparent to everyone.

• Options
    What kind of comments do you expect after a snarky review like that? It's one thing to score a game according to your experience with it, but some of your comments were unwarranted and uninformed.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    If you would like to quote some of those comments, I would be happy to address any complaints you had about them.

But I figure most of them will eventually fall back to "this wasn't for you".