As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Universal Loving Friendliness, and Other Buddhist things as well!

Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worsebefore it gets any better.Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Social Entropy++

Right! Well, we all know who this guy is.

buddha.jpg

I've been reading a lot about meditation (Vapassana meditation to be precise) lately, due to Mr. Henry Bemis sending me a book on the subject some time ago. Buddhism is a fascinating faith to me, and were I a religious person, I would probably practice Buddhism. As it stands, I merely ascribe to a lot of Buddhist beliefs.

Beliefs such as universal loving friendliness!
Wikipedia wrote:
Mettā (Pali: मेत्ता in Devanagari) or maitrī (Sanskrit: मैत्री) is loving-kindness, friendliness, benevolence, amity, friendship,good will, kindness, love, sympathy, close mental union (on same mental wavelength), and active interest in others. It is one of the ten pāramīs of the Theravāda school of Buddhism, and the first of the four sublime states (Brahmavihāras). This is love without clinging (upādāna).

The cultivation of loving-kindness (mettā bhāvanā) is a popular form of meditation in Buddhism. In the Theravadin Buddhist tradition, this practice begins with the meditator cultivating loving-kindness towards themselves, then their loved ones, friends, teachers, strangers, enemies, and finally towards all sentient beings. In the Tibetan Buddhist tradition, this practice is associated with tonglen (cf.), whereby one breathes out ("sends") happiness and breathes in ("receives") suffering.[8] Tibetan Buddhists also practice contemplation of the four immeasurables, which they sometimes call 'compassion meditation'

"Compassion meditation" is a contemporary scientific field that demonstrates the efficacy of metta and related meditative practices.

How about you folks? Any eastern philosophy we wanna chat about?

Metzger Meister on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Is this a kung-fu thread

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Tantric masturbation thread?

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    Good on you, Metzger!

“Attachment is the origin, the root of suffering; hence it is the cause of suffering.”

This is probably one of my favorite Buddhist teachings. It's very simple, but when you think about it more, you start to realize a lot of things about yourself. It's something I've taken to heart, and has really improved my life in ways I can't even begin to describe.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I should learn how to meditate

My mind is basically racing all day long

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Good on you, Metzger!

“Attachment is the origin, the root of suffering; hence it is the cause of suffering.”

This is probably one of my favorite Buddhist teachings. It's very simple, but when you think about it more, you start to realize a lot of things about yourself. It's something I've taken to heart, and has really improved my life in ways I can't even begin to describe.

Awful fatalistic, from my angle, no offense intended.

Lean with Chesterton here pretty strong. I like wanting things. Not every want I have is good or proper, sure. Lot of 'em ain't. And some of the decent desires aren't able to be fulfilled, so that leaves a little more gap.

But the fulfillment, and, hell, sometimes the desiring? Wouldn't trade for the world.

That's like saying a fellow should like starving because of gluttony, and that means losing the pleasure of food.

More importantly, and relevantly?

Love is right off the table in any form but the most platonic. Hell of a lot of desire there, attachment is go, and damn straight there's suffering. But you know what?

Even the desire, unfulfilled, hell, even if (by some perverse miracle) we lived in a world that was a monkey trap where nothing could come of romantic entanglement but heartache and despair in the end at best, where the desire would be forever unfulfilled?

Shit. It'd still be my choice to have it on the table. Because Nirvana? Sounds a hell of a lot closer to despair than anything worth having from my perspective.

Getting hurt sucks. Suffering sucks.

But the whole mess is worth it. Don't like to surrender when victory is possible.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    wait i thought the buddha was fat

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    The buddhist philosophy that I like the most is the concept that there is no negative or positive experiences. There are just experiences!

The death of my older brother, for example, I would have said was a negative experience in the past. But, it brought my remaining family much closer together and made us realize how important it is to say "I love you" as often as you can to the people who you love.

• Options
    NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    I am not a Buddhist, but I enjoy reading and listening to Tenzin Gyatso. He just celebrated his birthday and held a 2 week long event for peace here in Washington DC. They call him the Superfan on the DC rock station, because maroon and gold are also the team colors for the Redskins.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Noisymunk wrote:
    I am not a Buddhist, but I enjoy reading and listening to Tenzin Gyatso. He just celebrated his birthday and held a 2 week long event for peace here in Washington DC. They call him the Superfan on the DC rock station, because maroon and gold are also the team colors for the Redskins.

To all the assembled 'Skins crowd he uttered, "gunga gunga-lagunga".

So they've got that going for them.

LTM on
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    I meditate sometimes

sig.png
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Good on you, Metzger!

Awful fatalistic, from my angle, no offense intended.

Lean with Chesterton here pretty strong. I like wanting things. Not every want I have is good or proper, sure. Lot of 'em ain't. And some of the decent desires aren't able to be fulfilled, so that leaves a little more gap.

But the fulfillment, and, hell, sometimes the desiring? Wouldn't trade for the world.

That's like saying a fellow should like starving because of gluttony, and that means losing the pleasure of food.

More importantly, and relevantly?

Love is right off the table in any form but the most platonic. Hell of a lot of desire there, attachment is go, and damn straight there's suffering. But you know what?

Even the desire, unfulfilled, hell, even if (by some perverse miracle) we lived in a world that was a monkey trap where nothing could come of romantic entanglement but heartache and despair in the end at best, where the desire would be forever unfulfilled?

Shit. It'd still be my choice to have it on the table. Because Nirvana? Sounds a hell of a lot closer to despair than anything worth having from my perspective.

Getting hurt sucks. Suffering sucks.

But the whole mess is worth it. Don't like to surrender when victory is possible.

This is what I'm talking about. It looks simple, but once examined you can find there's more meaning to it than you realize. I don't know whether or not the Buddha is advocating cutting yourself off from everything to live the life of a monk. No idea. However, the way I interpret this is, be sure that what you care about actually matters. Getting upset over your Xbox breaking, or some girl shooting you down at a bar isn't worth your energy. You can't let little stuff like that shape your personality.

Pick and choose what you're willing to attach yourself to. Ask yourself if it's really worth missing when it's gone.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Buddhism doesn't advocate moving to a monastery in the middle of nowhere at all. It's just that our society isn't very conducive to a Buddhist life, on account of capitalism murdering common human decency and compassion, and what with American culture being obsessed with the individual and the wants and desires of the individual (again, capitalism.)

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Buddha walks up to a hotdog vendor and says, "Make me one with everything."

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    This thread is an affront to my Christian sensibilities.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I meditate when I'm stressed
    It's a goddamn lifesaver

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »
    wait i thought the buddha was fat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budai

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    man, I don't really think that capitalism really did all those things.

• Options
    Capitalism killed my horses, and rode off on my women.

• Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    As a Libertarian and a Capitalist...

I think Buddhism is super rad. If I ever chose to practice a religion, it would be Buddhism.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    bemis thread

• Options
    i am of the opinion that the materialism and consumerism that are so heavily promoted and enthusiastically lauded in our society have really, really badly fucked up they American people, from a spiritual point of view. we're not morally bankrupt because morals don't come into it, but money fucks up your heart man. it gets its hands right around the throat of the soul and chokes it until it quits kicking.

• Options
    Also, everyone should read Mindfulness in plain English. Everyone.

• Options
    Money is just money. It neither corrupts or absolves.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    So not canada or europe or russia or the way china is trending now?

Also only in the modern age have people been greedy and self interested.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Noisymunk wrote:

I sorta feel like it's a quality already existing in that man if he gets his hands on money and is corrupted afterwards

I mean there are people who are super rich and who are very generous with it and use it to help others, though of course you don't hear about it as much

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Ooh ooh I'm Buddhist! My family's traditionally Korean Buddhist although my mom transitioned to more of a secularized form. It's a very relaxing deal.

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    you been talking to bemis, haven't you metz

• Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    Buddhism is cool in all of its many forms.

Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Noisymunk wrote:

I sorta feel like it's a quality already existing in that man if he gets his hands on money and is corrupted afterwards

I mean there are people who are super rich and who are very generous with it and use it to help others, though of course you don't hear about it as much

Yeah, exactly.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    Money (power) doesn't corrupt people, people are corrupt. All people.

Power just gives them an avenue and agency to direct their will.

• Options
    edited August 2011
    PiptheFair wrote:

he's only my favorite forumer ever.

edit: well said langly.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Langly wrote:

SUPERMAN ISN'T YOU DICK

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote:

he's only my favorite forumer ever.

edit: well said langly.

How can you believe that all people are corrupt and be a buddhist at the same time?

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Keith wrote:
    Langly wrote:

SUPERMAN ISN'T YOU DICK

Batman would beg to differ.

edit: People are imperfect. That's probably the most Buddhist thing anyone can think!

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    Keith wrote:
    Langly wrote:

SUPERMAN ISN'T YOU DICK

edit: People are imperfect. That's probably the most Buddhist thing anyone can think!

Imperfection is not corruption.

brDe918.jpg
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    time is an illusion, and so is death

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Noisymunk wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Langly wrote:

SUPERMAN ISN'T YOU DICK

Imperfection is not corruption.

Buddhism also teaches us that mankind has baser urges that we have to ignore and rise above, and greed is one of those that every man shares.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    I miss Bemis.

I miss him a lot.

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    i'm talking to him on facebook right now 8-)

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Buddyism

68yj61.jpg