As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

XP Upgrade not working. Use a full version?

AutoScizAutoSciz Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Someone I know has Windows 98. He bought Windows XP Home Upgrade and wanted me to put it on his computer.

I started off and everything was fine but then Norton had to close the entire thing... great. Then I tried again and during the install it performed an illegal operation. Tried again, same thing. Now I can't install anything (.exe files) on the computer. Whatever I'm trying to install (yes it's compatible with 98 ) pops up with some error and then I get something about "This has to close due to restrictions". Side note: I will not be able to connect his old computer to the internet.

1. Did those failed XP installs screw up 98? How do I fix that?

2. Alternative: Back up his stuff and use my full version of XP Home to format and install. Just using the product key from the XP Upgrade (But then I don't know how I'll do that since it won't let me run any .exe files).

Thanks for the help.

AutoSciz on

• solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I havn't installed windows xp in forever. I thought that with the upgrade edition you could do a fresh install, it would just prompt you with putting in a previous windows edition disc/serial as an upgrade?

solsovly on
  • AutoScizAutoSciz Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh, well then I guess I could do that.

But I still need to back up his stuff (not even 10mb) and he doesn't have a cd burner or anything. I was going to install 98 drivers for my flash drive on his computer or plug in my burner but I need to install some sort of burning software. But like I said, it's not letting me install stuff. Is there some sort of equivalent to XP repair install for 98?

AutoSciz on
  • RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Backup his files and install XP Home fresh.
    For fixing the 98 install, if you can, Floppy Ferry (sneakernet) them to another computer rather than trying to fix it at this point. It will probably take less time. Make sure the copies are good though, it would suck to copy everything and find out the disk(s) used were bad/corrupt.

The only difference between the procedure for installing the "Upgrade Edition" versus the "Full Retail" or "OEM" editions is that the upgrade edition will stop the install and ask you to put in a disk from your previous Windows (in this case the 98 disk). It quickly scans the disk you put in to verify that you had a previous Windows OS and then asks you to put the XP Home disk back in to continue the installation.

and bonus info, the scan recognizes previous Upgrade version disks legitimately as well (I did Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade from a Windows 98 Second Edition Upgrade disk).

Oh and I don't think his XP Home Upgrade key would work with a Full Retail or OEM install disk.

Ruckus on
    edited February 2007
    Ok, thanks. But how exactly am I suppose to back up his stuff when it won't let me install drivers for my flash drive or install burning software for the burner?

AutoSciz on
    edited February 2007
    AutoSciz wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. But how exactly am I suppose to back up his stuff when it won't let me install drivers for my flash drive or install burning software for the burner?

A:\

Ruckus on
    edited February 2007
    Oh god of course. I completely didn't even think of that. Thank you!!

AutoSciz on
    edited February 2007
    AutoSciz wrote: »
    Oh god of course. I completely didn't even think of that. Thank you!!

Make sure it works though.

Alternatively, if it's got a network card (that works already) you could transfer files via shares (or MSN if it's got an internet connection still) to another computer.

Ruckus on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Also, for future reference, un-install Norton, or whatever virus scanner was on there, and make sure any processes it left behind are gone, since that is what screwed you over in the first place. Virus scanners are designed to go haywire when something makes major changes to system files and that is basically all an upgrade does.

And please consider Pro over Home; it isn't nearly as network-gimped...

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited February 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Also, for future reference, un-install Norton, or whatever virus scanner was on there, and make sure any processes it left behind are gone, since that is what screwed you over in the first place. Virus scanners are designed to go haywire when something makes major changes to system files and that is basically all an upgrade does.

And please consider Pro over Home; it isn't nearly as network-gimped...

Networked gimped how? Inability to directly share or access ntfs permissions or join a domain? Not generally required for home users. I only use it on one of my computers at home because I like having an FTP/Webserver available. The other two are running Home and I'll probably be buying an Media Center edition on my next one.

Ruckus on
  • DaySleeperDaySleeper regular
    edited February 2007
    Ruckus wrote: »
    Networked gimped how? Inability to directly share or access ntfs permissions or join a domain? Not generally required for home users. I only use it on one of my computers at home because I like having an FTP/Webserver available. The other two are running Home and I'll probably be buying an Media Center edition on my next one.

There's a pretty good chance that if the guy is only now upgrading from 98 to XP he would have no use for any additional features anyway.

DaySleeper on
    magnum%20pi%20ferrari.jpeg
    Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    edited February 2007
    Thanks for the help everyone. That all went smoothly.
    So if I ever want to do a 98 to XP (or whatever to whatever) upgrade, but not do a fresh install, should I delete the anti-virus?

AutoSciz on