As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Countdown: Out with a whimper

• Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The Newsarama interview makes it sound like 52 done right. It sounds really great, especially for newer readers, with a lot of flaws fixed. It still feels soon, but whatever, as long as if it's good and doesn't claim to change the world.

Although, a minor thing, I would have preferred a consistent cover artist. JG Jones would have been tough to follow, yeah, but for some reason it makes me think of the difference between Kingdom Come and The Kingdom.

Lux on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    See, a "Beyond" universe would be good because they wouldn't be directly ripping off the Ultimate Universe by having the same characters

And if anyone said "You're ripping off the Ultimate Universe", they could say "no we came first"

Or even more appropriately.
    "My god you're right! I forgot Marvel had the copyright on alternate universes!
    Someone warn EVERY WRITER EVER WHO WANTED TO MAKE A MAJOR CHANGE BUT COULDN'T ALTER MAIN CONTINUITY"

On second thought, yours is more concise.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh man, I hope this Countdown book kills off a character I like and gives me something entirely new to be pissed off about for the next few months.

But hey, it's McKeever and Dini so I'm willing to give it a shot. Still, Tony Bedard and the Grey/Palmiotti team aren't exactly Morrison and Waid, which makes me hesitant.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Oh man, I hope this Countdown book kills off a character I like and gives me something entirely new to be pissed off about for the next few months.

Oh get over it you baby.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Don't worry Karma, the Manhunter appearance has salved my wounded heart and put me onto the third stage of grief, bargaining. Why, just the other day I told my local comic shop operator that if he brought back Ted Kord, I wouldn't fucking murder him. Oh, he tried to explain how he has no control over such things, and at one point he rambled something about how he has a family or some such crap, but I wasn't paying attention. Anyways, my point is that I'm looking forward to reading Countdown by the light of my new lamp, with all new and improved comic-guy-skin-lampshade.

Munch on
  • Options
    TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Munch wrote: »

It's almost worth killing these characters for your reactions alone.

- Dan Didio

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    How many more innocent shopkeeps must die for you to see reason Didio?! HOW MANY?!

No like seriously, how many? Is it ten? because I can handle that.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Maybe they're killing off all the Superbuddies so that everyone can meet up with Ice in Hell and add a third chapter to the pseudo-series: "I Can't Believe We Killed All The Formerly Known As The Justice League Superbuddies"

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Harley Quinn escaped from hell, the superbuddies should find it easy.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    :cry::cry: :roll: :cry::cry:

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Newsarama put up a notice on DC's intent to start giving out pins relating to Countdown at conventions, starting at NYCC. For a look at them, hit this link.

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102533

Owenashi on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    I want the Mary Marvel and Darkseid ones

And the Jimmy pin makes me think he dies in issue #1/51, but then I think "No, that's too obvious". Then I think of how there have been no surprises in 52 so Jimmy is going to die.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Adaemus1sfAdaemus1sf Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd really want one of the Darkseid pins if it said "Darkseid Is". "Darkseid Rules" isn't nearly as cool.

Adaemus1sf on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    I want the Mary Marvel and Darkseid ones

And the Jimmy pin makes me think he dies in issue #1/51, but then I think "No, that's too obvious". Then I think of how there have been no surprises in 52 so Jimmy is going to die.

I took it as a play on that John Tucker movie.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Here are the teaser images from the DC Nation panel for Countdown.

HPIM0484.jpg

HPIM0483.jpg

HPIM0482.jpg

HPIM0481.jpg

HPIM0480.jpg

Go ahead pervs, give yourself a moment to picture Mary Marvel and Jean Loring lez'n out.

I did.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2007
    okay so Eclipso is going to try and mess with Mary and then Ray is gonna show up and be like "bitch we ain't married no mo this ain't domestic" and then punch her in the face and then darkseid is going to laugh and villains are going to get handcuffed together and jimmy will die

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Hmm. Paul Dini. Ray Palmer. Mary Marvel and Jean Loring.

Ray is sooooooo going on some cleavage rides.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    okay so Eclipso is going to try and mess with Mary and then Ray is gonna show up and be like "bitch we ain't married no mo this ain't domestic" and then punch her in the face and then darkseid is going to laugh and villains are going to get handcuffed together and jimmy will die

Sir, you just saved me $155.

Munch on
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mo'fucking Darkseid.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

No, first someones going to liken him to Ant Man, THEN He's going to remind them it's not domestic anymore.

Also, Superbuddies/ICBINTJL has shown us that Evil Mary Marvel is fucking hot.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Mo'fucking Darkseid is.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Worth every penny if Jimmy Olsen really does die.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    News from DC's second general panel at NYCC...
    Dan Didio inadvertently answered that the Flash in the teaser image released several weeks ago is Barry Allen and Red Robin is Jason Todd..

He was then needled by Bob Wayne for it.

Dan Didio posed a question to the panel: Who would you like to kill?

Rucka (staring at Didio): I’m looking at him right now (regarding the Flash and Red Robin revelation)

The rest of the panel agreed with Rucka immediately.

Oh, and from the same panel for those interested...
    Didio and Wayne recapped stuff from yesterday that they are doing a Captain Carrot mini-series and that Manhunter is back from the dead again (with the added confirmation that this is for good…not a 5-6 issue reprieve).

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Red Robin has such an awful costume

cue bad karma telling me to shut up

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Owenashi wrote: »
    News from DC's second general panel at NYCC...
    Dan Didio inadvertently answered that the Flash in the teaser image released several weeks ago is Barry Allen and Red Robin is Jason Todd..

He was then needled by Bob Wayne for it.

Dan Didio posed a question to the panel: Who would you like to kill?

Rucka (staring at Didio): I’m looking at him right now (regarding the Flash and Red Robin revelation)

The rest of the panel agreed with Rucka immediately.
    I'm all for Barry as Flash as long as it means Bart de-ages to Impulse and Barry dies again and Wally is the Flash.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Hey, at least we got more Manhunter.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

More Freedom Fighters!!

Cue one of Keiths little cliched quips.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

More Freedom Fighters!!

Cue one of Keiths little cliched quips.

but I don't hate freedom fighters

I just like manhunter more

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Giffen talks Countdown

Also included in the interview -
    KG: Well, you know what? They better get their damn books out on time.

NRAMA:: It's that simple?

KG: We're doing a weekly book! If we can do a weekly book and hit that point, then you can hit your point. You're doing a god-damned monthly.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Okay, so they're almost done counting up. Now they're going to count down. Then what?

august on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    august wrote: »
    Okay, so they're almost done counting up. Now they're going to count down. Then what?

The next big event / crossover.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    ctdwcv51rv2.jpg

I just noticed Cassandra Cain dressed as Batgirl in that picture. She's right under Hal Jordan. She kind of looks like his knee, but you can see her arms.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Rabid_LlamaRabid_Llama Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am pretty excited about this. It will be the first trade I will have collected. So far I have been trying to catch up on the DC universe.

Right now I am reading Crisis on Infinite Earths and next up will be Infinite Crisis. I have already read Identity Crisis (It is by far my favorite JLA story) but what else should I read before Countdown so I know what the hell is going on?

Half the characters in the picture I don't even recognize. Many others I only recognize because I have seen their likeness in Kingdom Come. What else do I need to read to get me up to speed?

Rabid_Llama on
    /sig
    The+Rabid+Llama.png
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I am pretty excited about this. It will be the first trade I will have collected. So far I have been trying to catch up on the DC universe.

Right now I am reading Crisis on Infinite Earths and next up will be Infinite Crisis. I have already read Identity Crisis (It is by far my favorite JLA story) but what else should I read before Countdown so I know what the hell is going on?

Half the characters in the picture I don't even recognize. Many others I only recognize because I have seen their likeness in Kingdom Come. What else do I need to read to get me up to speed?

Before you read Infinite Crisis, you should definitely read The OMAC Project. It's basically the one tie-in series that I would deem worth it.

Also, the Batman "Red Hood" arc.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    you didn't like villains united?

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    you didn't like villains united?

Ah, forgot about that.

Yes, he should probably read that, as well. I do think OMAC was more important in terms of the story of Infinite Crisis, though.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2007
    well, i agree, but villains united is a fun story

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Kyle's legs are so gay in that picture.