As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What's up with Firefox updates?

splashsplash Registered User regular
It looks like Mozilla is quickly releasing new versions of Firefox. From what I read the reason they are making large leaps in version numbering is simply because they want to catch up to "9" because Internet Explorer is at this version number. Of course this is meaningless since most people don't know what version web browser they are using and the other percentage of people aren't tricked by version numbering. I know Chrome is on 12 or 13 or whatever, but really, browser version shouldn't matter anymore... or should they? Why doesn't Mozilla and Microsoft adopt the updating scheme of Google and have it upgrade and install silently?

splash on

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    It's because they are using a totally new numbering sequence for nightly builds.
    So 5 is the current version, 6 is the nightly builds of what's coming next and 7 is the "next next" version.

But it leads to really stupidly funny actual headlines like "Firefox 7 is 5x faster than Firefox 5" the day Firefox 5 is released.

I don't know what happens when 6 becomes real, does 7 then become nightly builds and 8 is the next next version?
    Or are they going to pull a Land Rover and be stupid with numbers "5 is NOW 6 and 6 is now 7!"

• Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    I don't even remember Firefox 4. I remember updating from 3 point something to 5.

• Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Because they have a system in place right now, they probably see no real desire to flip over to the Chrome method as it would incur time and cost that isn't really justified in the long run.

However, if marketing says anything it is that people are suckers for the bigger better deal and MS/Explorer have a few advantages over everyone by default. Gotta fight wherever you can. Bigger number, same browser, more share.

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    The previous versioning system of Firefox focused on lumping new features in big x.0 releases. The new system is meant to release new features much faster. People say it's just for marketing (which is probably a factor) but in practice x.0 releases probably aren't going to be celebrated as much as they were in the past.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    An update about this. Mozilla say they plan to hide version numbering and rather tell users just whether they are running the latest version or not. So I have to assume they may be using the same updating scheme as Google.

• Options
    tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    Looks like Firefox 6 is out.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    splash wrote:
    An update about this. Mozilla say they plan to hide version numbering and rather tell users just whether they are running the latest version or not. So I have to assume they may be using the same updating scheme as Google.
    So much nerdrage in those comments. I mean, I agree this isn't something that should be done, but seriously. It is not "sabotaging Firefox" or what have you.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    IIRC, it is to catch the numbering scheme of firefox up to IE because people assume "IE9" will be better than "Firefox 3" just because 9 > 3.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    I've heard that one too.

I've also heard a bunch of other reasons, so I'm not exactly sure what's real here.

• Options
    I've heard that one too.

I've also heard a bunch of other reasons, so I'm not exactly sure what's real here.

It made sense, I think, because there was only like 4 lines of code difference between two of the full number revisions. Though I'm not sure of the real reason.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    splash wrote:
    So much nerdrage in those comments. I mean, I agree this isn't something that should be done, but seriously. It is not "sabotaging Firefox" or what have you.

Yea I didn't even bother looking at the comments because I knew it'd be ridiculous. Since you can still retrieve the version number. But as I said for regular people they don't know what version number they are using for browsers and I think it's a much better idea these days to update browsers frequently and silently. Browsers should function more like a live service rather than a traditional program if that makes sense.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Anyone know why FF6 has my mouse scroll scroll like 2-3 PAGES when I use it? It makes it pointless to use the scroll wheel.

• Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    I think this hiding version numbers will kill it in the corporate market.
    "We are at 4 for production and 5 on dev" will be impossible when it's "i have... um... tuesdays? version on production but no idea what we have on dev"

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    useless4 wrote:
    I think this hiding version numbers will kill it in the corporate market.
    "We are at 4 for production and 5 on dev" will be impossible when it's "i have... um... tuesdays? version on production but no idea what we have on dev"

It's not hidden, you just have to type about:support in the browser bar to see it. Since corporate IT people should be smart enough to do this, it shouldn't matter. In fact, this should be good for corporate IT people. They don't have to worry about users calling them about "not having the latest Internet version" because they looked at the about box and saw a lower number than they wanted to.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    If end users actually complained about "not having the latest Internet version," we probably would have seen IE 6 disappear a long time ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    And we wouldn't have a website dedicated to getting people to not use it anymore.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    I really like getting shiny things on a regular basis in Aurora. Did the alpha update schedule get more ironed out since they changed their version numbering system? Or has the alpha always been this awesome and I just didn't notice because it wasn't advertised as much?

• Options
    Firefox 6 is out, yay. When I go to Help > About Firefox it says "6.0 - You are currently on the release update channel." Umm. Okay!

• Options
    splash wrote:
    Firefox 6 is out, yay. When I go to Help > About Firefox it says "6.0 - You are currently on the release update channel." Umm. Okay!

And in about 11 weeks, you'll be using the Firefox 8 version currently in Aurora. It's rather nice. Memory usage is improved. It's ever-so-slightly snappier. Also, they made ripping tabs off and moving them between windows work like it does in Chrome.

• Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    Does anyone else have the problem where using the middle mouse button over a link no longer opens that link in a new tab?

UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    Does anyone else have the problem where using the middle mouse button over a link no longer opens that link in a new tab?

Does it happen on every website? Links under the influence of Javascript won't necessarily work properly.

• Options
    ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    Frem wrote:

Does it happen on every website? Links under the influence of Javascript won't necessarily work properly.
    I have a number of different types of websites open, not a single type of hyperlink is working...though I just got another Firefox beta update prompt, I'll see if this does anything.

UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    Weird bug with latest release. When I double click the tab bar (I have it on bottom, not top), it maximizes the window instead of opening a new tab. Any insight?

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    Winamp once went from version 3 straight to version 5 because they wanted to distance themselves from 3 which everyone thought was the worst thing ever.

So yeah, release numbers are useless.

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    Winamp once went from version 3 straight to version 5 because they wanted to distance themselves from 3 which everyone thought was the worst thing ever.

So yeah, release numbers are useless.

My company skipped 13 and 14 because of triskaidekaphobia and tetraphobia.

• Options
    But there was still a thirteenth and fourteenth release!

What now.

• Options
    I know firefox had to invalidate that cert auth vendor for https because they gave a google authed one to some company out in Arabia, so there's that at least to justify that specific version. Though that may have been a 6.0.1 version instead of a full number revision.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    The best update there is for Firefox is when you download and install Chrome...

• Options
    Meh; certain things are better. Other things aren't.

Firefox is guaranteed to always have better extensions. XUL and all that.

Firefox's sync is also more reliable, longterm. The server is open source, so I can run my own sync server if I wanted to. I'm not putting my passwords into a black box, even a pretty one made by Google.

---

Oh, that reminds me. The "open tabs in other browsers" thing is almost useful, but we have to be pretty close to the point where the entire DOM can be copied back and forth, right? Being able to open something like Freenode's webchat on one machine and pick up seamlessly on another would be really neat.