As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[OOC] M&M- Justice League International: You Know You Love It!

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    lodwilk wrote:
    errr I didn't even think of spoilers. Ya they've made several changes to some characters in the series.

Major Batman Spoilers within.
    The current Batman is actually Thomas Wayne. That night in the alleyway it was Bruce who died and not his parents. His father became Batman without the moral code, and Martha Wayne had a massive emotional breakdown and became the joker.
    That sounds stupid almost to the point of One More Day. Possibly even beyond.

Actually it was pretty damn good, and possibly the best of the Flashpoint tie-in stuff.

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    Well the original Gentleman Ghost was pretty evil, my advice would be to legacy that guy up but it could work.

My Games

Dresden Files RPG- Dumb Luck

Playing Phillip Hess in Motor City Blues

GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Into the Unknown
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Lost Hope- Concluded
    GM of Star Wars Sagas the Dark Times- Concluded.
    GM of Star Wars Sagas Jabba's Palace- Concluded due to injury.
    Bart Allen/ The Flash in M&M Metropolis- Concluded.
    Koyi Disturbances in the Force- Concluded.
    Jessup Owlbeard Forge of the Dawn Titan- Withdrawn due to injury.
    Sal Mander In the Shadow of Zeus- Concluded.
    Zevoto in Out in the Black- Withdrawn due to injury.
    GM of Wyvern Watch
    Berru Secune in Rise of the Jedi
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Just to clarify, "legacy up" means make up a history for one of his descendants, or just someone who takes the same name?

• Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    Hmm actually the legacy thing isn't a bad idea. Around the time of No Mans Land, Poison Ivy claimed a park as her territory and adopted a several kids and was extremely protective of them. Perhaps I could be one of those kids who has grown up and has developed the same powers as Ivy. However instead of becoming a villain he chooses to be a hero and try to shine some positive light on Ivy.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    I hate how it seems like they're dropped the whole "Ivy's Orphans" subplot, it really added some interesting layers to the character.

• Options
    Yeah, I could easily see some of them growing up to be environmental lawyers or something similar.

• Options
    JacquesCousteauJacquesCousteau Registered User regular
    Been doing a few character applications around lately so I figured I'd do something a little different.

Character sheet so it's all in one post:
    John Constantine
    PL14

Abilities
    Strength 1, Stamina 3, Agility 1, Dexterity 2, Fighting 1, Intellect 8, Awareness 7, Presence 6

Powers
    Damned Blood:
    Immunity 2 [Disease, Aging], Regeneration 3 [Persistent; Fades], Awareness: Senses 3 [Darkvision, Magical Awareness]
    (8 points)
    Unwanted Visitor:
    Immortality 5, To Hell and Back: Movement 1 [Hell]
    (12 points)

Equipment
    10 points

Advantages
    Artificer, Connected, Contacts, Defensive Roll 3, Fascinate 3 [Persuasion, Deception, Intimidate], Favored Foe 4 [Demons, Devils, Magicians, Undead], Fearless, Luck 7, Ritualist, Taunt, Ultimate Effort 3 [Deception, Magic, Persuasion], Well-Informed, Benefit 3 [Infamous Occultist], Equipment 2, Redirect, Second Chance 1 [Opposed Insight Checks], Seize Initiative, Set-Up 1, Skill Mastery 3 [Deception, Magic, Occult], Languages 3

Skills
    Athletics 2 (+3), Deception 18 (+24), Expertise: Magic 16 (+24), Expertise: Occult 16 (+24), Expertise: Music 4 (+12), Expertise: Theology 10 (+18), Insight 17 (+24), Intimidation 2 (+8), Investigation 16 (+24), Perception 14 (+21), Persuasion 18 (+24), Sleight of Hand 10 (+12), Stealth 10 (+11), Vehicles 0 (+2)

Offense
    Initiative +1

Defense
    Dodge 3, Parry 1
    Toughness 6 (Def Roll 3), Fortitude 7, Will 14

Power Points
    Abilities 58 + Powers 20 + Advantages 42 + Skills 77 + Defenses 13 = Total 210

Complications
    Depression: Constantine is given to bouts of melancholy, brought on by the guilt of the lives he has unwittingly destroyed or damaged.
    Haunted: Constantine is haunted by the silent shades of his former companions and friends, who reproach him for his mistakes and add to his melancholy.
    Riding the Synchronicity Highway: John Constantine has a supernatural ability to always be at the crux of great events as they unfold whether he wants to or not.

Highly detailed background:
    There once was a magician named John,
    Whose list of woes was quite long,
    But he's a-voided hell,
    he thinks that's quite swell,
    but here's some of the things that went wrong:

His child-hood for a start,
    To his father abuse was an art,
    But John cursed him good,
    He hadn't yet understood,
    That playing with mag-ic wasn't smart.

Then he was part of a band,
    Strewth! They were an absolute blight on the land,
    They used some bad magic,
    The whole thing was tragic,
    Again: mag-ic nev-er goes as planned.

Then there was the A-sylum,
    Where he tried to leave the past-horrors behind 'im,
    He was tortured instead,
    But got it set in his head,
    That he'd get revenge on the one who maligned him.

The demon's name was Nergal,
    It had dragged down to hell a young girl,
    But John got her back,
    Depriving Hell of a snack,
    And figured: De-mon-blood? I'll give it a whirl.

So thats Constantine in-a-nut-shell,
    He's also tricked the three lords of hell,
    He smokes Silk Cut fags,
    His friends end up-in body-bags,
    So give us a call, love, if-you-need a spell.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    immortal squishimmortal squish Registered User regular
    Hi! I don't have a write up yet, but I am thinking of submitting a reimagining of Blip from Xenobrood. I am thinking along the lines of incorporating the fighting style along the lines of the guys from Jumper (*Bamf!* "Here's a bus to the face!"), but keeping the naiveness of the original xenobroods.

Hmmmm... would a characer heavily focused in teleporting cause plot problems?

<3
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I'm interested in the system, but I'm completely unfamiliar with how it works. I have the books, since I'm an RPG packrat. I noticed that Eradicator is a PL14 hero in the DC Heroes and Villain's book. Is he someone that would work for your campaign?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Legacy up means make a character who is descended from, tied to, or taking up the mantle of a previous DC character. Kid Flash, Superboy, Wondergirl, Dickbat are all examples.

Squish: I'm going to have to say no to Blip for two reasons. One a teleporter is pretty much a one trick pony and I'd be worried you would end up with little to do in the face of many threats. Two before looking her up in the wiki I had never even heard of her. I refer you again to Dr. Fate who can teleport.

Dresdenphile: Nice to see you're up for giving a new system a try. The Eradicator would be...problematic for a couple of reasons. First off in the new universe I don't think Superman has died yet. Pretty much all of the Eradicator's history would have to be changed and, well it just gets to be difficult. There are plenty of characters to choose from who have similar abilities though. If you just need a PL 14 character don't worry I canhelp you get the game figured out a bit.

Seeing many unusual choices, which is very encouraging because it shows you guys are thinking creatively and doing some research. Please try to refer to the JLI/JLA/JLE rosters and come up with something tied to previous members. Or heck look at superhuman teams from others nations. China has some good ones.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    texasheattexasheat Registered User regular
    Ok i tried to build a char last night, with jsut a builder no book. Gotta say it's pretty damn difficult. I have a couple of questions. 1) at PL 14 do you really get 210 build points? 2) is there a limit to stat's or powers? 3) If i take superspeed do i have to tie it to an attack to be able to attack with it, Ex. punching? 4) what are the average stats of a human for abiliy points? 5) Finally do you have any hints at good attack/attack combos for a speedster?

I am going to try to find the book this weekend at my local gamestore, and order the PDF if i can't get that. But i'd like to build the char tonight if i can, then tweek it if need be after i get the book. Thanks.

• Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    I'm kind of interested in a Green Arrow/Arsenal/Red Arrow type character. Celestial Archer is DC and is Chinese, but I know nothing about him other than a small blurb on Wikipedia.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    Making a M&M character without actually knowing what anything does is probably not a good idea.

0 is the human average for ability scores.

• Options
    1. Yes at PL 14 you really get 210 build points. PL 14 is consider the World Protector level which means your focusing on global threats.

2. Skill Modifier: Your hero’s total modifier with any skill(ability rank + skill rank + advantage modifiers) cannot exceed the series power level +10. This includes untrained skill modifiers using only ability rank, and so sets an effective limit on all abilities associated with skills.

Attack & Effect: The total of your hero’s attack bonus and effect rank with that attack cannot exceed twice the series power level. If an effect allows a resistance check, but does not require an attack check, its effect rank cannot exceed the series power level.

Parry & Toughness: The total of your hero’s Parry and Toughness defenses cannot exceed twice the
    series power level.

Fortitude & Will: The total of your hero’s Fortitude and Will defenses cannot exceed twice the series
    power level.

3. You do have to tie your super speed to some sort of power to use it in an attack effectively.

4. Here is a basic breakdown of the ability ranks.

–5 Completely inept or disabled
    –4 Weak; infant
    –3 Younger child
    –2 Child, elderly, impaired
    –1 Below average; teenager
    0 Average adult
    1 Above average
    2 Well above average
    3 Gifted
    4 Highly gifted
    5 Best in a nation
    6 One of the best in the world
    7 Best ever; peak of human achievement
    8 Low superhuman
    10 Moderate superhuman
    13 High superhuman
    15 Very high superhuman
    20 Cosmic

5. Here is an example of a basic super speed punching attack from the handbook:

Fast Attack: Damage 3, Strength-based, Multiattack and Selective on 5 Damage • 13 points
    • Damage 3, Strength-based, Burst Area and Selective on 5 Damage• 1 point

Now if you're looking for something like suffocating people in a whirlwind or that sort of thing you can also pull that off. I just provided the punch because that was what you asked about. It seems like you're planning to play a relatively inexperienced character so he may not have mastered the fancy tricks of the speed force yet.

Hope that helps.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    I'm kind of interested in a Green Arrow/Arsenal/Red Arrow type character. Celestial Archer is DC and is Chinese, but I know nothing about him other than a small blurb on Wikipedia.

I'm always a big fan of the Green Arrow so I'd be happy to see someone taking up that role. However as it is JLI Celestial Archer would be an amazing choice. I know t Great Ten had a limited series a while back but I didn't pick it up and the character isn't used for much beyond cameos.

Now that said I think it is a stregnth in this case because you can take that wiki blurb and expand/change it into almost anything you want. He seems like a cross between Green Arrow and Wonder Woman and Batman. Which is just an odd combo but it works really well. I mean yyou're meant to inspire the Chinese, how better to do that than serving as a prominent team tasked with defending the globe from major threats? Plus it seems like August General Iron hates your guts so he might want you out.

Red Arrow/Arsenal/Speedy whatever they're calling him i the new series will be on a team with Jason Todd and Starfire. We could change that if you happened to be a diehard Red Arrow fan but it seems like you're thinking more along the general archer lines which is great.

Sorry these are just my thoughts.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    That's perfect. Just what i needed. I think i'm going to build 2 chars. 1 for kid flash, the other for my own creation. And if someone has a better creation i'll just go with kid flash. I'll flesh them both out this weekend and try to submit them on sunday.

• Options
    Sounds good, take your time, you've got until thursday.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    rocketred.jpg
    Rocket Red
    PL14

Abilities
    Strength 14, Stamina 6, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 2

Powers
    Rocket Red Armor:
    Removable (-1) (-11 points)
    Rocket Armor Enhanced Strength: Enhanced Strength 8, Rocket Armor Defense: Protection 8, Impenetrable!: Impervious Toughness 14, Jet Boosters: Flight 8
    (43 points)
    Rocket Red Gloves:
    Rocket Armor Energy Blasts (Gloves): Ranged Damage 16 [Alternate Power x2, Split]
    Alt: Rocket Red Energy Burst: Ranged Damage 10 [Multi-Attack; Split, Accurate x2]
    Alt: Rocket Red Energy Bomb: Blast 10 [Area (Burst) +1; Split, Accurate x2]
    Removable (-1) (Gloves) (-7 points)

(30 points)
    Mecha-Empathy:
    Mecha-Empathy Radio: Communication 1 [Radio], Mecha-Empathy Skill: Enhanced Trait 9 [Enhanced Skill: Technology; Limited (Operate/Security)]
    (7 points)

Advantages
    Ranged Attack 12, Defensive Attack, Fast Grab, Great Endurance, Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Interpose, Languages 1 [Russian, English], Leadership

Skills
    Athletics (+14), Close Combat: Power Suit 10 (+14), Deception (+2), Expertise: Military 4 (+6), Expertise: Politics 4 (+6), Insight (+2), Intimidation 6 (+8), Perception (+2), Persuasion (+2), Stealth (+2), Technology 8 (+19), Treatment 8 (+10)

Offense
    Initiative +2
    Rocket Armor Energy Blasts (Gloves) +12, Damage +16
    Rocket Armor Energy Burst +16, Damage +10
    Rocket Armor Energy Bomb +16, Damage +10
    Melee Strike +14, Damage +14

Defense
    Dodge 14, Parry 14
    Toughness 14 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 16, Will 12

Power Points
    Abilities 48 + Powers 80 + Advantages 20 + Skills 20 + Defenses 42 = Total 210

Complications
    "You are under arrest." -- Gavril is a Russian patriot, but he's also a criminal for abandoning the Rocket Red Brigade with stolen armor.
    "Do not leave Gavril to be hangin'!" -- Gavril is really stoked to be on the Justice League, and he wants everyone to know it.
    “Under Marx, all individuals are equal.” -- Gavril is a communist at heart, and that doesn't make everyone comfortable. Especially when he wages war on the progress of Kapitalism in Russia!
    Doing The Right Thing -- Gavril puts doing the right thing and helping people above other concerns. It is his reason for doing heroism.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I didn't change the character much from what is in the comics, afaik. If "Russian communist expatriot" is not cool though I am sure I can change it.

Mechanically, I guess there's not really 'roles' in M&M 3e, but I was basically going for someone who is a tankish ranged threat, who doesn't have really neat ways to control a battle beyond being able to put out enough damage (either to groups of underlings or to singular big bads) that he is hard to ignore (and harder to hurt). Maybe.

Also, radio.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Yea i'm thinking the speedster is gonna be built tough to hit but weak jawed if you do. And built for crowd control with minor to moderate dmg.

• Options
    There is a DC hero from Japan named Crazy Shy Lolita Canary. Someone play that.

• Options
    Hooray for a Rocket Red.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    He just seems so happy

I like that he is a Communist but focuses on the 'good' parts of communism -- like "don't be sexists, rocket red brigade!"

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    I love that the brighty eyed optomist seems to be a communist. Oh just remember he hasn't joined the JLI at the start of the game. He can be on the run from the Rocket Red Brigae already though.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    That works. His desire to alert everyone to his presence on the Justice League will just have to be a complication for later. :p

• Options
    Plus, I think he thinks every superhero team except for the Rocket Reds and the Great Ten is the Justice League.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Offspring (Plastic Man's son) seems like an excellent character in a situation like this.

• Options
    Offspring would be good.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular

okay first off i acknowledge that i am stupid and also lame for being at all "simulationist" or implying anything about the "internal logic" of a game system based on comics

but my comment would be that you're thinking a bit small

guys like green arrow and arsenal would be around PL10 or less. in fact most of the somewhat-regular-people-in-costume type of heroes are going to be PL10 and under, as are many characters who have a specific or very limited kind of superpower.

at PL14 characters are getting verah verah superpowered.

salt gave the example of a rocket red. i think that fits the bill. the RR's were formed to defend the soviet union. why? because america had the justice league. the communist version (in comics logic) is to have group of men loyal to the worker state who are equally augmented with genetics and technology to be up there with superman, wonder woman, and martian manhunter. think of them as the superhero version of the cold war era arms race. in the wrong hands, someone could probably use one of their powersuits to destroy an entire city. 14 may be sort of the "high end" of where I'd expect to find the Rocket Reds, but I think it makes them fit with what I've read in the books.

captain atom is in this category. this is the charlton comics character that dr. manhattan was based upon. he's got more of a silver age vibe than moore's character of course, but the origin and powers of the characters are very similar. bizarre accident, crazy superpowers. powerful to the point of being able to do almost dang anything. typical stuff includes his "quantum metal" skin, ability absorb a ridiculous amount of energy and blast it back atcha (i think he's also able to convert matter to energy and vice versa making this even more crazy), fly through space like it's no big deal, that kind of thing. i think in final crisis he was responsible for destroying part of the multiverse. this is a character that could be probably be built at a few different power levels but 14 is a good fit.

the more powerful green lanterns are PL14. together they form what's probably the most powerful group of super-things in the universe. they go up against the kind of dudes who can destroy... basically everything. even alone, a green lantern can take on an opponent powerful enough to destroy planet earth. heck, when sinestro went bad he used the power of his ring to subjugate his entire home planet of Korugar and rule it as its supreme leader. now that I think about it, Hal Jordan and Sinestro might well be the "litmus test" of PL14.

i suppose the drawback to PL14 is once you get to that level and above, there are a lot less heroes and villains to draw from.

on the upside, if you're playing a hero you don't have to wonder why the heck the justice league isn't handling the problem

because at that point you are the justice league

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    shoe has the right of it, it even says things along these lines in the MnM book's gm section

we really need some heroes who are in the same weight class as sinestro and rocket red

• Options
    DCA/MM is kind of a tricky one in that character concept and power level are strongly married to each other, and that characters that are more experienced aren't necessarily more powerful

and that's sorta weird because it evolved out of the d20 OGL which has very different assumptions about that sort of thing

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    I could see Celestial Archer being in the same range as Hal Jordan, Sinestro, or Rocket Red. I mean he is empowered by the gods. The trouble with him is he almost never shows up so we never see what he can really manage. I've always imagined that his bow was capable of some serious destructive power though.

I'm of the mind that an argument could be made for most characters empowered by the gods to be at PL 14. Heck Ice is probably up there.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    green-lantern-1-sinestro-329x500.jpg

Thaal Sinestro
    PL14

Abilities
    Strength 2, Stamina 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 3, Fighting 5, Intellect 1, Awareness 3, Presence 3

Powers

Green Power Ring (Dynamic Array) (removable -25) (104 points)

AI and Database - Features 2

Communication - Senses 1 (Communication Link to Green Lantern Corps)

Flight - Flight 14 (32k mph), Movement 4 (Space Travel 3, Zero-G Adaptation 1)

Force Field - Protection 12, Immunity 10 (Life Support)

Force Manipulation (Dynamic Array)
    - Force Blast: Ranged Damage 17, Dynamic
    - Force Constructs: Create 17, Dynamic
    - Lifting: Move Object 17, Dynamic
    - Force Bubble: Immunity 10 (Life Support) [Affects Others, Burst, Ranged]
    - Mobile Constructs: Create 11, Movable, Dynamic

Scanning Beam - Senses 6 (Analytical Auditory, Chemical, and Visual)

Universal Translator - Comprehend Languages 4

Advantages
    All-out Attack, Fearless, Improved Initiative (2), Inspire, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Ultimate Effort (Will)

Skills
    Athletics 4 (+6), Close Combat: Unarmed 3 (+8), Deception 7 (+10), Expertise: Law Enforcement 8 (+10), Insight 8 (+11), Intimidation 12 (+15), Investigation 4 (+5), Perception 8 (+11), Persuasion 4 (+7), Ranged Combat: Power Ring 8 (+11)

Offense
    Initiative +10
    Power Ring +11, Ranged Damage 17
    Unarmed +8, Close Damage 2

Defense
    Dodge 12, Parry 10
    Toughness 14/2 (without ring), Fortitude 10, Will 17

Complications
    Animosities: Sinestro has a checkered history in the eyes of the Green Lantern Corps. While the guardians have reinstated him as the Green Lantern of 2814 while Hal Jordan is off in space, a lot of people have long memories.
    At Any Cost: Sinestro is not a man who does anything by halves; he is dedicated to the Corps, but his zeal has been known to cause collateral damage.
    Compassion Is a Weakness To Be Exploited: Sinestro is not the most approachable person.
    Power Loss: The power ring needs periodic charging and issues a warning when its power runs low.

i'm not finished, removing Impervious protection left me with 10 free points to piddle with and i've only spent 1. will add 9 points of stuff later.

EDIT: fin

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    Couldn't the power difference be made up by technological support? I mean, a superhero that would normally only be on a PL10 level could be brought up by the addition of a convenient techno-suit, or the amplification of their powers via technological thingamajigs.

Take that blip character I was talking about. Just a teleporter, pretty low level super power. Add in access to a cache of alien tech, and she's suddenly teleporting alien nuclear weapons into the bad guy's colon and shooting dudes with super powerful alien blasters. That should effectively up her PL quite a bit.

I mean, batman is the definition of this kind of power-increase. What he lacks in direct power, he makes up in cleverness and cool toys.

<3
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    The trouble with Blip is that she relies enitrely on teleporting. Even with alien tech to back her up that is her thing. Pretty much think of Blip vs Sinestro. She will lose. The best she could do would be to teleport him away, or to try and port his ring off of his finger.

On another note Australia needs some representation in the JLI for a change.
    Miss_Martian_colors_by_Fuentes_by_ToddNauck.jpg

Sakutian on
    My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options

I guess I'm just fond of characters that use limited superpowers in intelligent/inventive fashions. In the example you mention, I'd see something along the lines of having a prepared asteroid full of every nuke, atom bomb, WWII lanemine that I could steal. Teleport him into the middle of that, teleport out and trigger the trap.

Alternatively, teleporting his ring off would be a good one too. I mean, the idea that you need mega huge powers to compete, and there is no room for lesser powered (but clever) heroes is annoying to me. It may be true (I never played MM3), but it just doesn't jive with me.

<3
  • Options
    You can be a PL 14 character and still play very creatively. I would go with a character whose powers can be applied in a variety of way rather than taking on a character with limited application though.

My Games

GM of Wyvern Watch
  • Options
    Ok I redid the mechanics for my legacy Ivy character. Haven't done much of the fluff yet so here's the character sheet for now.

Terra Firma
    PL14

Abilities
    Strength 0, Stamina 4, Agility 2, Dexterity 4, Fighting 2, Intellect 7, Awareness 3, Presence 11

Powers
    "Affect Biology:
    Charming Touch: Affliction 14 [Entranced/Dazed/Dominated vs Will; Cumulative]
    Alt: Poison Darts: Ranged Affliction 14 [Vs Fort Fatigued/Stunned/Incapacitated; Ranged]
    (29 points)
    Overgrowth:
    Creeping Vines: Movement 4 [Permeate (Earth), Wall Crawl, Slither, Swinging]
    (8 points)
    Voice of Nature:
    Comprehend 1 [Can speak with plants]
    (2 points)
    Persistant Vegitation:
    Vine Armor: Protection 10 [Sustained]
    Alt: Avatar of Nature: Create 10 [Create Plant Life]
    (11 points)
    Bringer of Life:
    Bringer of Life: Environment 1 [Impede Movement]
    (1 points)
    Hearty Constitution:
    Hearty Constitution: Immunity 2 [Immune to Poison and Disease]
    (2 points)
    Control Life:
    Control Nature: Move Object 2 [Limited to Plants; Precise, Subtle]
    (4 points)
    Bringer of Life:
    Photosynthesize: Regeneration 10 [Persistent; Source: Sunlight]
    Alt: Gift of Life: Healing 10
    (11 points)"

Equipment

Advantages
    Attractive 1, Benefit 1 [Alternate Identity], Fascinate 2 [Deception and Persuasion], Favored Environment [Woodlands], Favored Environment [Jungle], Tracking, Languages 3 [English, French, Spanish, Latin], Daze 1 [Deception], Skill Mastery [Persuasion], Skill Mastery [Deception], Trance

Skills
    Acrobatics 2 (+4), Athletics 2 (+2), Close Combat: Charming Touch 10 (+12), Deception 4 (+15), Expertise: Botany 8 (+15), Insight 4 (+7), Intimidation (+11), Perception 8 (+11), Persuasion 8 (+19), Ranged Combat: Poison Dart 10 (+14), Sleight of Hand 2 (+6), Stealth 4 (+6), Treatment 6 (+13)

Offense
    Initiative +2
    "Charming Touch +12, Damage 14, Vs Will
    Poison Darts +14, Damage 14, Vs Fort"

Defense
    Dodge 8, Parry 8
    Toughness 14 (Def Roll 0), Fortitude 12, Will 11

Power Points
    Abilities 66 + Powers 68 + Advantages 14 + Skills 34 + Defenses 28 = Total 210

Complications
    "Emmanuel is determined to show the good that people like him and Poison Ivy can do
    Distrust: Ever since Emmanuel went public with being one of Ivy's children some of the public is very distrustful of him. Specifically those from Gotham
    Enemy: Posion Ivy considers him to be a traitor to her cause "

Design Notes

• Options
    Couldn't the power difference be made up by technological support? I mean, a superhero that would normally only be on a PL10 level could be brought up by the addition of a convenient techno-suit, or the amplification of their powers via technological thingamajigs.

Well, that's what a green lantern ring does for Hal Jordan. Without it, he's just a dude.
    Take that blip character I was talking about. Just a teleporter, pretty low level super power. Add in access to a cache of alien tech, and she's suddenly teleporting alien nuclear weapons into the bad guy's colon and shooting dudes with super powerful alien blasters. That should effectively up her PL quite a bit.

Is it really the same character after that?

Green Lantern is defined by his ring. It's not just what makes him formidable, it is the why what and how of who he is.

If I were to take a less-powered character like Animal Man and gave him a green lantern ring... well it wouldn't be much like animal man. He would have this whole set of powers based upon the ring that have nothing to do with his being Animal Man. There wouldn't be anything that he could do that the ring wouldn't be able to somehow do better. Basically, there would be no point at all to him being Animal Man. The character of Buddy Baker and a Green Lantern Power Ring really have nothing to do with one another. It would be a mess.

If I was to make a high-powered hero with teleport and location powers who would fit into a PL14 version of the JLI... maybe I'd try to draw up a Thundermind. The ability to transcend space is a power that relates to who the character is and is a part of what makes him Thundermind, as is the fact that he is from China and his powers are related to Buddhist mythological traditions.
    I mean, batman is the definition of this kind of power-increase. What he lacks in direct power, he makes up in cleverness and cool toys.

I don't really think he is.

Batman's gadgets do not make him more powerful. They help him be more versatile. The reason Batman makes sense at a slightly higher power level... well it's because he's Batman.

His intelligence, instinct, dedication, and combat acumen is all him. Those are the things that define Batman. Bat-themed doodads are a consistent feature in his adventures but they're not what make him who he is... and they don't make him more than human.

dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Alternatively, teleporting his ring off would be a good one too. I mean, the idea that you need mega huge powers to compete, and there is no room for lesser powered (but clever) heroes is annoying to me. It may be true (I never played MM3), but it just doesn't jive with me.

Oh, I don't think this is the case.

The right hero with the right powers can do some pretty amazing things. Happens in comics all the time, and can happen with MM3's mechanics also. Superman can get taken down by a regular guy with a bunch of kryptonite, Martian Manhunter is at a serious disadvantage against any Fire Controller, etc etc.

In this specific example, Saks is specifically looking for characters of a certain power level. That's how Saks wants to run his game.

This means that Superman is just as out of place for being a player in his game as is The Blue Beetle.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
This discussion has been closed.