As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Acts of Kindness

15678911»

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Several times I've randomly jumped in front of toddlers to scare them into halting all forward progress.
    Sometimes a HA!
    or HO HA!

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    @Fyndir you're av/sig combo is really confusing!

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    skettios wrote:
    @Fyndir you're av/sig combo is really confusing!

Oh, yeah, I forgot to change things back once I was done being a looter. My bad! :oops:

• Options
    The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    Seriously wrote:
    I like secret acts of kindness, where the beneficiary doesn't know it was me

which sounds

kind of creepy put like that.

It really isn't, though. I do this too. I also strongly dislike talking about the acts of kindness I do to others, as it makes me sound like I'm boastful in some manner, which depreciates the act.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Everything I do is basically an act of kindness.

A homophobe kept picking on me after I came out, but when someone looked like they were going to (finally) kick his ass, I stepped in and saved his ass.

I spent a grand on people last Christmas, and so far I've just started Christmas shopping this year and I have plans to spend that much just this month and next month.

I saved one of my best friends from getting hit by a car, but got hit by the car in the process. I broke my arm, and when I regained consciousness, all I could think about was whether or not she was alright.

I could go on. Once again, everything I do, big or small, is an act of kindness.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I see posts talking about "I feel selfish when I do good acts because it makes me feel good as well." Guys, don't over analyze this. You do good things because knowing you did the right thing makes you feel good. It's a proper positive feedback loop. It's the way we WANT society to be run. As long as you don't have cripping anxiety when you're not doing good acts, or you don't act like a righteous ass when you do, we're all fine.

I wave at a smiling baby and he waves back. Makes me feel good, makes kid happy, makes parents happy. It's win-win-win a thousand times over because happiness builds on happiness.

Back to the subject at hand. I see lots of acts of kindness in traffic. I'm sure it varies depending on where you live, but even in heavy rush hour traffic here, it happens.

• Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I would like to see a comic where the alien shock troopers are covered with spike as they patrol the streets but the moment they see a child, they turn into giant balls of pink fur holding blasters.

• Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    When I was in 8th grade, I was with my best friend meeting another friend at a bus stop. We got to the bus stop and waited for him, and when I saw him across the street I smiled and ran to meet him.

Stepped right in front of a pretty fast-moving car.

The friend I was with grabbed my shirt collar and yanked back as hard as she could. Once the car had passed she started yelling at me.

She pretty much saved the day there.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I try to do something nice for someone every day. I frequently give people directions in the hospital.

Does anyone feel like helping me out with my ps3? I can't get it to rest to hdmi.
    Every once in a while, something happens to my ps3 and it resets back to composite (red yellow white) output. I don't understand what causes it to do this. It has happened in quite a while, so I sort of foggy on setting it to output via HDMI.

I tried going to display settings and setting it to HDMI, but nothing happened. I think I am doing something wrong, or forgetting to do something.

I tried doing the hold the button down until it beeps twice thing, and couldn't get that to work either.

Can someone help me out? I would really appreciate it.

I looked at this:
    http://portfolioofpb.com/blog/ps3-blank-screen-switch-inputs-hdmi-to-composite-to-hdmi

and Iam not sure what I am doing wrong. I unplug the composite cable, plug in the hdmi cable, and hold the power button down until I hear two beeps, and I still get nothing.

I've tried two different hdmi cables and every port of my TV. It seems stuck with composite for some reason.

I've gone through this before, too. I'm not sure what it could be as long as you have the HDMI plugged into the TV and PS3 when you're holding the power button. Is it just coming up blank on your TV? As in there's no flicker or any sign of life when you're going through the reset phase?

I just see a blank screen.

Yeah, I have no idea. I'm starting to worry that something is wonky with the hdmi ports. I don't know if it is my ps3 or my TV though. I don't have another hdmi thing to use and test, nor do I have another TV with HDMI.

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    I guess the most recent nice thing I have done is give away a lot of awesome games during the steam sale. Hopefully I can make it a tradition, though its easier to do during the winter sale because I have more money due to filling in for people who want to be off of work near christmas.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    I saved one of my employees life once back when I ran my field.

We were clearing out some rotten timber along a creek, he was using the saw on one side, I was using the bucket to apply enough leverage to the tree so it would fall properly due to being rotten. I get it braced and climb down from the cab of the tractor and come around just in time to realize all the vibrations/shuffling/movement had broken a huge branch directly above him. He was a pretty little guy and it was breaking loose fast, so I grabbed his arm and body checked him out of the way just as it came down on us. Dislocated my shoulder and cut me up pretty good, but it probably would have broken his scrawny neck.

That was kindness I guess. He's a mechanic now, got a wife and a couple kids.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Ulti, that was a good time, because you inspired me to gift a few things too and that made me feel nice because I had a job for the first time in forever, and was spending it on spreading CHRISTMAS VIDEOGAME CHEER (and also got games in return) and now I have a bunch of Steam semi-friends that I talk to about video games!

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    ultimakay wrote:
    I guess the most recent nice thing I have done is give away a lot of awesome games during the steam sale. Hopefully I can make it a tradition, though its easier to do during the winter sale because I have more money due to filling in for people who want to be off of work near christmas.

That was really cool of you!!

And idk if it was seeing that or the spirit of the season or what, but then other people started giving each other games. It was pretty sweet.

• Options
    KlashKlash Lost... ... in the rainRegistered User regular
    I just made two decisions that I think are kind of nifty.

Signed up for complete organ donation last night. Don't know why I wasn't registered at 16, it seems like a no brainer. Feels good knowing that I won't just be a lump of muck in a box at the end. Also decided I'm going to give blood as often as is possible. Figure its the same as donation, just it can be done while I'm still around.

Two simple things that I don't even need to actually do anything about. Just gotta not get horrible, blood curdling diseases and it's all set.

We don't even care... whether we care or not...
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    mostly my kindness tends to bite me in the ass. Like that time I moved in with some friends of mine and their kid and naively expected them to get back on their feet. You know, make a budget, stop buying sex toys, get jobs or something.

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    sex toys form the base of mazlows hierarchy

DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    ZoelZoel I suppose... I'd put it on Registered User regular
    mazlows hierarchy of horseshit

A magician gives you a ring that, when worn, will let you see the world as it truly is.
    However, the ring will never leave your finger, and you will be unable to ever describe to another living person what you see.