As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Acts of Kindness

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    skettios wrote:
    I pulled my lil lil sis out of an escalator once.

Mom was at the atm, which wasn't too far, but it was a bit away. My sisters and I were bored, so we started playing the lil game at the escalator where your fingers are running along it. Wasn't paying attention to where my lil lil sis was reaching... I hear a horrible noise and her scream.

Her finger had gotten sucked into the bottom bit. Other sister runs to get Mom and I pull the lil lil one free. We hurried over to a bathroom in the Safeway type thing in the mall. I help my mom get first aid stuff and start assessing the damage. Can't remember if we ended up going to a doc or not. I want to say that we did, but mostly because she has a big ol scar now.

I like to think that I saved her from losing a finger.
    Thinking back on it, might have done less damage if I had hit the emergency stop button. Not sure if those existed or not though.

That is so great.

Horribly scary because I have a tiny little-girl's irrational fear of escalators (it stems from a scene in horror movie I accidentally watched when I was little). I never let it outwardly affect me of course, but that image of that bloody escalator is always in my mind when I'm on one.

You should hold it over her head from time to time.

I totally do sometimes, teasingly of course
    She really does look up to me because I did that and other big sis things for her.

• Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Callius wrote:
    I biked to and from school listening to Iron Maiden today.

Good times were had.

Hey! I just rode a bike for the first time in my adult life last night! I'm trying to build up to riding to and from work everyday, but it's kind of scary because I fear getting injured when I don't have health insurance.

Iron Maiden would probably make the journey less scary.

Dude, if you aren't used to riding a bike do not do it while listening to music. I only listen to music at a really low volume. It's really unsafe to do otherwise.

tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Rogue LemonRogue Lemon AVATAR BOX TOO TIGHT, 50 YEARS DUNGEON!Registered User regular
    A few years ago at school, I was walking up to a flight of stairs to my class that I happened to be late for. As a kicker, it also happened to be Valentine's day, and I was alone as was almost always the case back then. Somewhere between the 2nd and 3rd floor, I see a girl in heels start to descend and very quickly lose her balance and come flying down. Being the brilliant guy I am, I jumped to the side and tried catch her. With my scrawny, muscle-less,150 lb. body. As a result, she just stays in motion and helps me slide back down the stairs on my spine.

We hit the bottom, and she begins to thank/apologize profusely. I was actually okay with just a bit of soreness, as was she. Luckily, I was wearing a thick jacket because it was a cold rainy/windy day, and I live in California so I'm a pussy at temperatures below 50 degrees. In the end, we both just ditched our classes, went out for Chinese food together, and then went over to her place and made out. Basically, I lived what felt like a scene from a bad romantic comedy.

So the moral of the story, children, is to ditch school.

Tentaclemon.jpg
    STEAM: BioSpark // POKEMON: 0303 9578 6730
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Ditching school is a policy I can endorse.

• Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote:
    i have fond memories

of @flateric

:oops:

I was in tinychat the other day and you weren't there!

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, ditching school is awe- wait, I'm 28 at work at a fast food store.

Stay in school, kids!

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    i am evil

broken image link
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Yeah, ditching school is awe- wait, I'm 28 at work at a fast food store.

Stay in school, kids!

I have fond memories of this post

• Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    I ditched my college class and all I got was this lousy test score

S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote:
    Actually, @Margarazzi and @Melding, I have never been given any blood that I'm aware of, so while I don't give any to the system, I don't take any out either.

This can be my good thing that I have done, right?

Listen, i am offering you my blood, you don't have to feel bad.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    I will just ruin your blood, Melding, give it to someone that actually needs new blood. <3

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    No, no

I just read it that way

But you're right. I think Orik wants to hear about good we've done in the world. Like, Superman would totally fill this thread.

Lex Luthor: not so much. We does things *well* but not particularly good things.

I just wanna hear stories, yo. Fond memories or personal accomplishments, wuteva.

• Options
    Fine! i'll just keep my stupid blood. Ain't given me nothing but troubles.

• Options
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    No, no

I just read it that way

But you're right. I think Orik wants to hear about good we've done in the world. Like, Superman would totally fill this thread.

Lex Luthor: not so much. We does things *well* but not particularly good things.

I just wanna hear stories, yo. Fond memories or personal accomplishments, wuteva.

This thread has reminded me why i don't talk about myself much, but i spent an hour an a half or so working out today, so that is good.

• Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    this year i won two gold medals in the special olympics

• Options
    Was this before or after winning Testicles of the year?

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Melding wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    No, no

I just read it that way

This thread has reminded me why i don't talk about myself much, but i spent an hour an a half or so working out today, so that is good.

Fuuuck yeah! And you've done plenty of good things, even if you may not feel comfortable talking about them.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Sheri wrote:
    No, no

I just read it that way

Fuuuck yeah! And you've done plenty of good things, even if you may not feel comfortable talking about them.

Honestly, a lot of my life blurs together. i am trying to think of sweet things i've done and nothing is coming. i'm sure you're in there memories. just fucking get where i can get you!

Oh, there was the time i totally choked out a guy a foot taller then me and 60 pounds heavier after he smashed me in the testicles with a socket wrench.

It's a good thing i have no long term plans for my testicles in retrospect, because they've taken a lot of unpleasant abuse.

• Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    I know others have mentioned this but I realized I don't remember much about my childhood. Most of my memories are small fragments of things I have done (mostly bad), I can't even seem to remember how old I was or what grade I was in when said memories happened. I'm only 20 so its not like its been a really long time since my elementary or middle school days, but I just tend to chalk it up to a poor memory.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    ultimakay wrote:
    I know others have mentioned this but I realized I don't remember much about my childhood. Most of my memories are small fragments of things I have done (mostly bad), I can't even seem to remember how old I was or what grade I was in when said memories happened. I'm only 20 so its not like its been a really long time since my elementary or middle school days, but I just tend to chalk it up to a poor memory.

I remember it most, but largely it's cast in a bad light and the shitty moments stand out the most. i'm sure there was a lot of good there but, years of poor reflection kinda tainted it.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    All of my memories I'm either indifferent towards or hated cause they sucked

• Options
    One of my happiest memories is when my oldest nephew was born.

My sister in law had gotten sick while she was pregnant. The pregnancy had caused her immune system to freak out and she was suddenly allergic to lots and lots of things. Almost all herbs and spices, some species of flowers, some vegetables and fruits. All things she'd been able to eat and enjoy 6 months ago would now cause violent reactions requiring adrenaline and hospital stays.

We were worried for her and scared for the baby, especially since this was the first baby in the extended family in something like 20 years. She had a reaction a few days before she was due so they decided she should stay in hospital until my nephew was born in case he came early or she needed immediate attention. but instead of coming early, he came late. She was in the hospital for over a week and nothing. 5 or 6 days late and they induced her.

The induction drugs hit her hard, and didn't really seem to work properly. She was in labor for 30 hours, she'd been given a spinal block, which had worn off, then they'd given her something else which had also worn off, and they told us all to clear out while they prepped her for a C-Section.

now I was in the waiting room with my brother (the expecting daddy), my parents, my sister in law's parents, my other brother and his wife etc etc etc, and we were all tearing our hair out.

Then a doctor came out and told us that they'd managed to get him out without needing surgery, using some kind of suction thing, and he was fine and my sister in law was fine and we could go in and see her in a minute while they check the baby out and dress a little cut he'd gotten from forceps.

So ten minutes later, we're all in the delivery room when they bring him in and hand him to his daddy.

My brother, this goofy dude who I'd grown up with playing football and having water balloon fights. He holds his son and says "Well hi there! We're so glad you could finally make it. I'm your daddy, and we're gonna have so much fun together."

• Options
  • Options
    Melding wrote:

see everyone thinks i'm fooling around when i say that

but i'm not

i won two gold medals in cross country skiing at the special olympics this year

• Options
    Knob wrote:
    Melding wrote:

see everyone thinks i'm fooling around when i say that

but i'm not

i won two gold medals in cross country skiing at the special olympics this year

okay, this requires more more context then, because you have me hooked.

• Options
    i have three handicapped stepbrothers, so the special olympics are a big deal in my family

most years i just attend and support, some years depending on my schedule i volunteer

this year i was asked to join the unified 1k cross country relay team

unified teams in special olympics are composed of half special olympics athletes and half coaches/trainers/staff (if you were an insensitive prick, you could say normal people)

my team worked its ass off and we took gold in both our local area games and state games

• Options
  • Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote:
    Actually, @Margarazzi and @Melding, I have never been given any blood that I'm aware of, so while I don't give any to the system, I don't take any out either.

Yes, you get karma credit for being a sick dude who hasn't needed anyone else's blood.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    Should I tell the story about my brother giving blood?

It's a story that I've told here before and usually makes people barf

• Options
    marty_0001marty_0001 I am a file and you put documents in meRegistered User regular
    The Geek wrote:
    I am confused as to how people don't have fond memories.

I don't know about anyone else, but I just don't remember things from years gone by in much detail at all. It worries me sometimes. Sometimes I think that I have a really bad memory, and sometimes I think I'm just a really fucking dull person.

I get depressed sometimes when I go to gatherings like the one for Lindsay recently and people are sitting around telling stories and and talking about good or wild times they've had, and I just don't fucking have any stories to tell. Like I said, I don't know for sure if I have poor memory, or if I just haven't ever done much worth remembering.

I have felt the same for a long time, and I think it might be a little bit because you don't have much to tell, but more importantly that you aren't in the habit if storytelling. There's a certain confidence that goes into telling someone about that time you did that thing, and you might think that thing isn't that interesting to others, but you just have to convince yourself that it is.

It's just conversation, yo

• Options
    Callius wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Callius wrote:
    I biked to and from school listening to Iron Maiden today.

Good times were had.

Hey! I just rode a bike for the first time in my adult life last night! I'm trying to build up to riding to and from work everyday, but it's kind of scary because I fear getting injured when I don't have health insurance.

Iron Maiden would probably make the journey less scary.

Dude, if you aren't used to riding a bike do not do it while listening to music. I only listen to music at a really low volume. It's really unsafe to do otherwise.

This makes me sad. Music is what keeps me going on my walk or drive to work. I suppose since a bike ride wouldn't be that long, I'd survive.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    #pipe wrote:
    Should I tell the story about my brother giving blood?

It's a story that I've told here before and usually makes people barf

Please tell!!! I love blood giving stories.

I have my needle yanked twice (once in came all the way out and blood went everywhere.)

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I always kept one speaker out of my ear while riding, because I needed the music to help concentrate on riding.

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:

Yes, you get karma credit for being a sick dude who hasn't needed anyone else's blood.

That's not how karma works!

Also bonK, that is awesome I had no idea. Congrats, sorry for thinking it was just a joke.

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    FlatEric wrote:
    Kochikens wrote:
    i have fond memories

of @flateric

:oops:

I was in tinychat the other day and you weren't there!

every time i go in there, no one is there
    i just went in
    guess what?
    nobody there.

• Options
    Margarazzi wrote:

That's cool, I'll probably need some if I do that whole transplant thing, I guess I'll ask the doctor if I'll ever be able to give blood to even things out afterwards, or just bully all my healthy friends into doing it.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:
    Fyndir wrote:

That's not how karma works!

Also bonK, that is awesome I had no idea. Congrats, sorry for thinking it was just a joke.

I couldn't think of a better razz for Fyndir. I didn't try very hard because they were showing donuts on tv.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Re: Not remembering anything from the past, I'm the exact same way. I honestly really can't remember anything from before I was about 12, maybe even later than that. I am sitting here right now trying to think of things that happened, friends I'd had, experiences, and it's blank. Nada. This happens a bit nowadays, I'll just blank out on things that haven't even happened a year ago, but I've gotten a bit better.

Most of my "done good" deeds are for homeless people, and they're usually pretty small. I never carry cash anywhere, but if someone asks me for some money outside of a store or anything like that, I'll tell them I don't have any money but if they'd like some food I'd be glad to go get them some. Most are very appreciative and thank me but one in particular stands out.

We've got these food carts near my office, probably a line of about 12 or so different kinds. I was waiting for my teriyaki chicken for the likely 5th time that week I'd been there and I see this homeless guy stumbling down the carts asking for food and money. He's very inebriated and VERY irate. He starts yelling at everyone around him that he's a person too and not to be such absolute assholes to someone just because they're homeless. He gets down to my cart and just falls down, straight to the ground. No one seems to be doing anything at all, so I help him up and start talking to him.

After I get my food I ask him if he wants anything to eat and his face immediately lights up. We cross the street to a local burrito place and I get him a burrito and a soda and lead him outside, as he honestly couldn't find the door in his state. I sit him down at one of the tables there and get ready to head back to my office to eat my lunch, but he looks up at me and says, "Will you just eat your lunch with me man, I'm having a hell of a week..."

So I do. I sit down there and just talk with this guy for about half an hour about everything going on in his life. He apparently lost his house earlier in the year, his wife and kids moved away because he couldn't support them and had a real problem with alcohol. Pretty much everything in this guy's life had completely gone to crap and he was just trying to get by.

After we finish our lunches, I'm getting ready to leave and he sticks his hand out to shake mine and grabs it with both arms and tells me that I was a true human being, someone who makes him happy to be alive and that God should be proud to have me in his flock. At that point neither of us knew each other's names and he asks mine and tells me his; "George". As I walk up about a block to leave I see him still just standing there, not going anywhere, watching me walk away. I smile, he smiles and waves and then just turns to walk up the street.

I still look for George whenever I go get food down there, hoping he's doing ok. Haven't seen him since.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Fyndir wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:

That's cool, I'll probably need some if I do that whole transplant thing, I guess I'll ask the doctor if I'll ever be able to give blood to even things out afterwards, or just bully all my healthy friends into doing it.

You probably won't be allowed to, from what I've learned about organ donation (my grandfather received a donated heart, he had it for 17 years). It's cool, only about 30% of people are eligible to give blood (in the US anyway)

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    In that case I'll just hang out at the gym next to my flat with a stack of flyers. "I can't give blood 'cause I'm all broken inside, so you do it for me."