As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Move around and stop eating that crap [Weight Loss and Fitness]

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    yeah the desk job and no more walking around campus really doesn't help me

e nver calculated my body fat percentage, but I don't have a tape measure at home to check. I just noticed my face getting rounder and my shirts fitting tighter

Squall on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Totally been a lazy piece of crap since we got back from the camping trip, and I'm stuck in this loop of my back hurts so I don't go to the gym so my back hurts more, rinse, repeat

Stretching, massage and advil have helped but mainly I need to get up and move around more during the day--sitting behind a desk for nine hours straight is killing me

Though I have been eating better, lots more fruit and less chocolate/sweets, so there's that (but I'm still askeered of getting on a scale :/)

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    my legs aren't sore from running anymore.

lifting however, has kicked my ass

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I really think I need to do more stretching. Everything is pretty much sore all the time.

Massage would also help, methinks.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    So, my girl wants to lose about 50lbs. She'll go to the gym with me, but she won't lift weights. She insists on only doing cardio and playing raquetball. I want her to lift weights with me, but she always stubbornly refuses.

It's obvious that a combination of diet, weights and cardio will help her drop pounds quickly. What do you think?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Start off small and do the cardio/raquetball thing. That'll get a good burn going, and that much arm swinging will be similar to a light arm weight workout anyways.

LTM on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If she doesn't want to lift weights, back the fuck off and let her exercise the way she wants to.

Jesus, always finding women that aren't how you want them to be then thinking you can manipulate them into changing to become what you actually wanted.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Its like an episode of bizarro Sex and the City...

• Options
    stretching before and after a run is a godsend

last time i went running i forgot to and i couldnt walk right for a few days

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I try not to sit or lay down for like an hour after runs. I won't be able to get back up if I do.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    Hmmm. So I've procured a blood glucose testing meter.

Last night, about two hours after eating I was at 106.
    This morning, 86
    And just now, about two hours after eating a terrible meal of processed noodles, it's 81
    Maybe I'm not insulin resistant after all. Gonna keep watch over this for a week or two.

• Options
    I need to stop reading bike advocacy blogs. I don't really want to get into bike vs traffic dogma...

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    I want to punch all people on bikes. PUNCH THEM

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    I have no problem with cyclists who obey the rules of the road and/or employ common sense

• Options
  • Options
    nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    I have no problem with those on bikes here, but screw all the people that ride bikes in minneapolis.
    thanks for going wherever you please on the road while moving half the speed of my car, buddy

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    I have no problem with cyclists who obey the rules of the road and/or employ common sense
    those exist?!?!?!!?!

el oh el

srsly, new york bicyclists i hate you all

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    BEAST! wrote:
    Usagi wrote:
    those exist?!?!?!!?!

el oh el

srsly, new york bicyclists i hate you all

A large portion of the Seattle cyclists are decent human beings just doing they thang

And then there are the d-bags who blow through stop signs/lights/across busy intersections and expect you to cold stop a 1.5 ton hunk of steel :x

• Options
    I won't lie. I run lights/signs, jump on and off the sidewalk where necessary, and am generally a "bad" cyclist. The thing being, I do these things when nobody is around/in the way.

I'm sure it pisses people off that I go through a stoplight in the crosswalk and a car can't do the same to avoid the light, but so does jaywalking.

It doesn't mean someone should throw down thumbtacks along a 4mi stretch of country road during Seattle-to-Portland. Also, if that drives someone to go cut off a cyclist or cream them in an intersection, then they have bigger fucking problems.

We all just need to chill the fuck out as a society.

• Options
    Oh yeah, if there's no traffic I'll absolutely jaywalk and I expect cyclists to do the same thing

But if you're doing that in traffic, which has happened on a regular basis to me around home and work (and I work in the Port of Seattle so not just car traffic but lots of semi's, eek) then I dunno what to tell you

• Options
    Right, if you're at the point where you are cutting off semi-trucks and taking those sorts of chances, then I don't know what to tell you, other than that you are pretty "h4rdc0rez".

• Options
    daily weight fluctuations are my enemy
    after getting down to 185 yesterday I am right up to 190 today
    of course I will probably be down to 186 tomorrow but still

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    You shouldn't weigh yourself everyday cause it's pretty pointless.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Weigh yourself every hour in the day for real fun.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    I used to check in on my WiiFit everyday and it got really frustrating.

I don't even weigh myself much anymore. Once every few weeks in the summer when I'm trying to keep a low weight.

• Options
    You shouldn't weigh yourself everyday cause it's pretty pointless.

but how will I be able to make a fun graph at the end of the year if I am missing some data points

• Options
    Yeah I can fluctuate 5-7 pounds daily just depending on how much salt/fat/water I ate the day before

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    Yeah I can fluctuate 5-7 pounds daily just depending on how much salt/fat/water I ate the day before

saaaame
    not to mention if it's around that time

• Options
    SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Weighing yourself daily in the morning is where it's at. There will be fluctuations but after a few consecutive days you will figure out your average which is much more accurate than taking an occasional sample. I used to weigh myself either once a week or once a month, and it's much worse when one week my measurement would be on one side of the natural swings and the next would be on the other. That would throw me off and make me doubt what I'm doing etc etc and it also puts too much anxiety on that one weigh in because you want to see results.

Now I just take a dump, get on the scale and make a mental note of where I'm at. No frustrations, no guessing. Just make sure you don't have a shit scale, because some I've seen can vary by two pounds every time you step on them.

Sensational on
  • Options
    skettios wrote:
    Usagi wrote:

saaaame

Seriously

I've found the fit of my clothing to be a much better daily measure of where I'm at than the scale

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Usagi wrote:
    skettios wrote:
    Usagi wrote:

saaaame

Seriously

I've found the fit of my clothing to be a much better daily measure of where I'm at than the scale

Agreed
    But I do weigh myself on the scale, just to make sure I'm still on track and whatnot (and so I'm not surprised when I go to the doctor :P). However, I do it at the same time to avoid at least one fluctuation

• Options
    I'll weigh myself in the morning before I've eaten anything but after I've emptied my bowels and it will still vary by a couple of lbs.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    errybody just full of shit

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I'm a poopmancer.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    It's true

• Options
    finished my run today, gonna make some chicken thighs for dinner aw yeah

• Options
    good job squall!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    i need to try making some new marinates for them, i've been using the same thing for quite a while

soy, honey, garlic, crushed red pepper, bit of teriaki on top

need food advice since i know a couple happenin cooks in here

Squall on
  • Options
    I will totally type up the inasal marinade we use for chicken on the regular. So good.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    snot marinade

This discussion has been closed.