As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need new gaming podcasts.

DrakenhawkDrakenhawk Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've recently attempted to take a break from World of Warcraft, and to help me in that endeavor I've done the "avoid all mentions of the thing"...err, thing.

*ahem*

Anyway, I went and unsubscribed from all WoW related podcasts and now realize that I have a very empty list :cry: . I would like to find new things to listen to, preferably on the topic of general video gaming, I don't have a specific preference on say console vs PC. I find multiple hosts tend to provide good banter, as I do not mind off topic tangents, but would listen to a well produced single host show. The old Octale and Hordak VS the World podcast (after the hosts all stopped playing WoW and the format changed to general variety) was awesome, but as the show evolved I lost interest (one host left, the remaining hosts were unbalanced, ranty/yes-man, another format change).

If anyone has some recommendations I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Drakenhawk on

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    You will not find better than Giant Bomb's Bombcast. These guys are amazingly funny and knowledgeable about all sorts of gaming topics. I can't recommend it enough. A sample from a couple years back:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOI4XJecOc0

And another for the hell of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMBQrbtjPWI

Adus on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    I don't know the opinion of IGN around these parts, but I find most of their podcasts to be informative and entertaining. They have Podcast Beyond for Playstation talk, Podcast Unlocked for Xbox, Game Scoop for a little of everything and others for Nintendo, computer, etc. that I don't listen to. Check them out and see which hosts you click with.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I listened to one from the Nerdist Industries, I think it was called the Indoor Kids (pretty sure) and it's a general gaming podcast. The main guy on it is the dude that plays Pindar on Franklin and Bash and he's pretty funny, however it seems like they don't know a lot about games (specific) versus games (general) I think it's more of a comedy podcast than anything but it's worth a listen.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Yeah. Bombcast is #1. There's a good podcast thread going in D&D right now with some other suggestions.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Agree 100% with the Bombcast. There's also a gaming podcast discussion thread in G&T here. Some of the podcasts in that OP don't really exist anymore, though.

Anyway, I still listen to Gamers with Jobs even though I thought about cutting them out of my rotation. I also used to listen to Rebel FM, but I'm kind of tired of them now. Weekend Confirmed can be good, but Garnett gets irritating. Retronauts is worth checking out.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Idle Thumbs, while no longer being recorded, is/was fantastic and up there with the Bombcast for a great combination of gaming/comedy/random discussions. I also like Weekend Confirmed but a Garnett Lee is take or leave it kind of guy, that said it's much more of a high brow and/or brainy gaming discussion. If you're into technology, This is only a Test from Tested.com is great.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    A Life Well Wasted.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Weekend Confirmed, Rebel FM, and CAGcast are the ones I listen to.

• Options
    ThesmileyemoThesmileyemo Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    1up.com has gone to hell, but Retronauts is still pretty great.

Thesmileyemo on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    If you like Starcraft 2, State of the Game and Inside the game.

So many gym visits made more pleasant.

• Options
    exisexis Registered User regular
    Brainy Gamer - "Thoughtful conversation", a lot of interviews and discussions with interesting people. It's made by a single guy, so has a lot of rotating panelists. They tend to talk about wider themes and topics in gaming rather than about the latest and greatest stuff. Hasn't updated in awhile unfortunately.
    Gamers With Jobs - A regular group of older folks from gamerswithjobs.com. They talk about the big new releases etc, but they're not a review site IGN, so the games they play are generally out of personal interest. They also have topics each episode, things like gender in gaming, or the effects of social gaming. Sometimes they talk about board/tabletop gaming which isn't really my thing, but overall I like it a lot.