As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is now a new [STEAM] thread to post in

• Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    The Civ V deal doesn't appear to extend to the DLC. Boo.

which is really unfortunate. I of course am getting the Denmark pack because well vikings are my people... and bundled with the explorers pack for a slight discount... this is me convincing myself.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    how long is civ V on sale? I want it but am broke right now!

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    It's a weekend sale: Monday 10 AM Pacific time.

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    HiT BiT wrote:
    It's a weekend sale: Monday 10 AM Pacific time.

alrighty, thanks

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Holy Crap, Civ V on fantastic sale.

Any opinions on the daily deal? I'm a sucker for strategy.

Do it.

I'm weak, but not that weak. Without reviews, I need some opinions.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:

Do it.

My opinion on Civ V:

Do it.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Is Steamgifts incredibly ssssllooooowww for anyone else? I'm assuming it's due to the increased user base, but geez.

EDIT: Oh, now I'm just getting page not found errors.
    InkSplat wrote:
    Alright. I threw up a private Giveaway on Steamgifts for AI War Bundle.

Open for 2 and a half hours from now.

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/q8st2/ai-war-fleet-command

Entered and posted on this, but I have no idea if the comment went through. So I'll thank you here.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:

Do it.

My opinion on Civ V:

Do it.

Sorry, I meant the daily deal. I already picked up Civ V for 16 bucks back from Gamersgate a couple months ago (and I haven't played it yet, curse the Newell!).

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    DoctorArch wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:

Do it.

Let me help you with that:

This is part 1 of 5 of the play through review.
    http://nohighscores.com/node/1266
    The summary/wrap up/final thoughts is here:
    http://nohighscores.com/node/1506

edit: well please disregard. I have no knowledge of Storm: Frontline nation. it looks like risk to me.. (I love risk) but not sure if it is worth picking up.

Psiberian on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    So Civ 5: It's obviously an amazing deal but.

My one requirement for these massive time-investment games is that there not be that nagging "oh this is BS" thought that ruins it. I was under the impression that early on Civ 5 was considered kind of ridiculously broken by AI that didn't really understand the rules. Has that altered at all? It doesn't need to be perfect, I just can't stand when simple exploits break the puzzle.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Sorry, I meant the daily deal. I already picked up Civ V for 16 bucks back from Gamersgate a couple months ago (and I haven't played it yet, curse the Newell!).

Oh, I read that wrong. Yeah, sorry, no idea.

• Options
    kaliakalia Registered User regular
    Yeah, I totally believe that I maxed out in points in 1 or 2 days, but just didn't check back right away. And yeah, steamgifts is being pretty slow right now.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Is Hot Pursuit the one the GiantBomb guys really loved? The one that looks really pretty and has a ton of crazy particle effects?

I have no experience whatsoever with the NFS series, so I want to make sure this was the right one. At $10 I might just bite.

(I feel like I'm on an infinite loop with Steam. Fucking absurdly cheap deals)

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    Speaking as a person who has played every main-franchise civ game on PC, but not put 1000 hours into Civ IV (enough to think it's the best strategy game of all time), Civ V is fucking wonderful. For $12.50 it's a really great deal and if you're on the fence you should buy it. My impression is that people who think Civ IV was the best thing since sliced bread generally don't like the changes made in Civ V. Personally I was late to the Civ IV party and felt that a lot of the 'features' were really just needless complications and V did a really good job of fixing those issues for me. It's also fucking gorgeous.

On the topic of Need For Speed, I bought a combo pack about six months ago and had this really terrible experience getting them to run correctly on Steam. What wound up happening is that I had to go to EA support and sit in chat with them for about 10 hours total, eventually getting them credited to my EA store account (now it's Origin I guess) and in order to play, say, multiplayer Hot Pursuit, I need to play through Origin and not Steam. So if you are the type of person who is going to be pissed off at needing to install Origin then I would suggest steering clear of them. That said, they are all very fun games and I'd recommend them to someone looking for some casual racing games.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:

Oh, I read that wrong. Yeah, sorry, no idea.

Me too!

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    @Lord Yod, didn't you get a free game from them?

• Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    Idx86 wrote:
    Roshin wrote:
    So, not sure if this is the info you guys need to get me in the group. Steam name is Ign1t0r and the link to my profile is: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197960797036

That will do. Invitation sent. :)

If you want a fancy Steam sig, then have a look here: http://www.ddgamer.com/signatures.php

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    By the by, it seems that the Civ V deal is cheaper in the UK than the other two regions. As ever, if you're looking to pick it up, and need to save a few £, drop me a PM, happy to help.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Is Hot Pursuit the one the GiantBomb guys really loved? The one that looks really pretty and has a ton of crazy particle effects?

I have no experience whatsoever with the NFS series, so I want to make sure this was the right one. At $10 I might just bite.

I don't know about crazy particle effects, but the Giant Bomb guys have talked positively about Hot Pursuit.

Personally I liked it, but I just didn't feel compelled to finish the singleplayer stuff or play the multiplayer much.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Which of the NFS games on sale is the least 'pure' racer? I like racing games that are arcadey, have RPG elements, lots of different stuff to do, etc.

• Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Big Isy wrote:

Yes. I requested a preorder for BF3 and the guy said okay, then when I logged in (with the second EADM account I had to make) I instead had the latest Medal of Honor game. I wouldn't call this a good deal. It remains to be seen if they're going to honor a tech support guy's promise for a preorder on a $60 game.

edit: captaink you should look at Hot Pursuit, it's awesome.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Not sure, but Hot Pursuit was done by the Burnout guys, and Shift 2 is the most recent one that's heavy on the sim side.

I liked Hot Pursuit, but got really tired of the ton of time trials you have to do. I just wanted to bust racers and run from cops. Shift 2 wasn't my thing, but I'm more into the arcadey racers.

• Options
    captaink wrote:
    Which of the NFS games on sale is the least 'pure' racer? I like racing games that are arcadey, have RPG elements, lots of different stuff to do, etc.

I'd probably go with HP or Undercover.

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:

It's the only one I've played, but I'd say probably Hot Pursuit. It does have a lot of pure racing, but it also has modes focused on making the other guys crash.

Honestly, if I were to recommend a racing game it'd be Burnout Paradise, even though it's not on sale.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    This is probably a silly question, but are PC racing games fun without a wheel or anything? What's the best way to control them? Is KB+M a workable configuration? Is a gamepad better? Is anything short of a wheel and pedals just not worth bothering?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I would recommend at least a gamepad. Keyboard driving is... ugh.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Corollary: Any suggestions on a wheel? I've been wary about getting one because I have a very thick desk (maybe 4 inches?), and I'm not sure most would clamp onto it.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    kaorti wrote:
    I just got rock of ages, but I haven't been able to get it to run. I click play on Steam, the loading window pops up and then disappears. I've tried verifying the game cache, but no luck. I suspect it's a problem with my directx install, but my attempts to reinstall directx have failed.

What should I do now? I'd love to be able to play Rock of Ages tonight.

Try restarting your computer. I had this happen to me when trying to play the 40k demo. Restarted my machine and it went off without a hitch.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'd buy Call of Juarez if it came with a TF2 hat.

Shit.

Tell me Valve doesn't read this forum.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Big Isy wrote:

I've seen this a few times and figured I'd make a little PSA.

When you're trying to @ someone with a space in their name, you need to put quotes around their name. Otherwise it just takes the first word.

yQaTf.jpg

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    The NFS games can be played fine with a keyboard, but they are better with a gamepad or wheel.

I have an old cheap Logitech wheel that should be able to clamp onto your desk. Not sure if they're newer ones will, though.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    CroakerBC wrote:
    By the by, it seems that the Civ V deal is cheaper in the UK than the other two regions. As ever, if you're looking to pick it up, and need to save a few £, drop me a PM, happy to help.

what is the UK price at?

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    I refuse to buy Civ V regardless of how great the deal is on it since I have Civ IV and all three expansions having never even been installed just sitting in my Future Gaming Repository™.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    Is Steamgifts incredibly ssssllooooowww for anyone else? I'm assuming it's due to the increased user base, but geez.

Yeah, it was taking upwards of a minute to get to a new page or for a raffle to load in, and roughly that long for it to acknowledge my entry for some as well.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    So, Green Man sent me 2 codes related to Dead Island, but didn't say what they are, outside of how to activate on Steam. Note that these 2 codes are not the same as the one they sent me to activate the game.

Anyone else get these or try them out yet?

Apparently they're for DLC, but word on the street is that one of them can be used by someone else to actually activate the game. Unintentionally, I imagine. Who knows what will happen when they find out what's going on, though.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    I also have an extra Dead Island code now. I'm tempted to throw it up on a private steamgifts raffle.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    mts wrote:
    CroakerBC wrote:

what is the UK price at?

£7.50 UK, which according to SteamPrices is compared to $12.50 US (£7.80) and E12.50 (£10.96)
    Probably don't save much from the US (about 50 cents if I guesstimate correctly), but it might be worth it if you're in the Eurozone.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Not sure, but Hot Pursuit was done by the Burnout guys, and Shift 2 is the most recent one that's heavy on the sim side.

I liked Hot Pursuit, but got really tired of the ton of time trials you have to do. I just wanted to bust racers and run from cops. Shift 2 wasn't my thing, but I'm more into the arcadey racers.

Darn, that's a shame. I was hoping it would be a no-frills "race and destroy everything" kind of game. Just something arcadey and pretty to look at.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Taranis wrote:
    I'd buy Call of Juarez if it came with a TF2 hat.

Shit.

Tell me Valve doesn't read this forum.

Call of Juarez, the latest one, is supposed to be a massive buggy mess from what i've heard. It's getting consistently extremely negative reviews (Below 50% negative.) across the board. I'd not recommend it. Unless it has some hat you think is worth $50.

Also how are people getting extra codes for Dead Island?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options

Darn, that's a shame. I was hoping it would be a no-frills "race and destroy everything" kind of game. Just something arcadey and pretty to look at.

Yeah, a lot of those time trials are, "Get to the end of this road as fast as you can but don't run in to anything". Yuck.

This discussion has been closed.