As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is now a new [STEAM] thread to post in

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    It makes me sad that I can't justify buying Shift 2. It's the type of game I wish I (still) had the time and dedication to play.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Who is playing Rock of Ages? Someone play it with me. How are we doing this stuff?

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Kid_CasualKid_Casual Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    So , I have a problem. I purchased Dead Island from GMG earlier in the week. I waited for their countdown to finish and allow for "download". Once the countdown finished, the download button just points me to a page detailing how to activate games on Steam. Now, the problem is, Steam is telling me this key is not valid in my region (Japan). I have contacted GMG support for a refund but they don't seem willing to do this and just keep leading me around, asking for screenshots of steam etc.

Now it seems I am stuck with a NA key for Dead Island I will never be able to use. As much as I would love to throw it up on Steamgifts for everyone, a refund would be much more helpful at this time. Would anyone here be interested in buying it from me at the discounted price I bought it for? I would also consider a trade for a couple of games I have been wanting to play.

Please help, you generous and classy steam community!

Edit: I paid $34 for the Dead Island key

Kid_Casual on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Rami wrote:
    Who is playing Rock of Ages? Someone play it with me. How are we doing this stuff?

Gamertag Cantido. I play Drac---er, Vlad Tepes. :D

That whole scene made me squee like a little bitch. Just thinking about makes me hyped up to play some CV and watch the movie Dracula.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IINyTgNOCFA

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Kid_Casual wrote:
    So , I have a problem. I purchased Dead Island from GMG earlier in the week. I waited for their countdown to finish and allow for "download". Once the countdown finished, the download button just points me to a page detailing how to activate games on Steam. Now, the problem is, Steam is telling me this key is not valid in my region (Japan). I have contacted GMG support for a refund but they don't seem willing to do this and just keep leading me around, asking for screenshots of steam etc.

Now it seems I am stuck with a NA key for Dead Island I will never be able to use. As much as I would love to throw it up on Steamgifts for everyone, a refund would be much more helpful at this time. Would anyone here be interested in buying it from me at the discounted price I bought it for? I would also consider a trade for a couple of games I have been wanting to play.

Out of curiousity, what games were you looking to trade for?

• Options
    Big Isy wrote:
    Kid_Casual wrote:

Off the top of my head.. Civ 5, Metro 2033, Witcher 2, Shift 2, Fallout 3 New Vegas

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    This new trading stuff still wont allow me to give away my free Darksiders from buying SPESS MAHREEN. I don't want it because I beat it on Xbox, and I never play through an LoZ, or LoZ type game more than once because FUCK DUNGEONS.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    This new trading stuff still wont allow me to give away my free Darksiders from buying SPESS MAHREEN. I don't want it because I beat it on Xbox, and I never play through an LoZ, or LoZ type game more than once because FUCK DUNGEONS.
    If I had to guess, if you didn't own it on steam before it automatically added itself to your games list. The only time you would get a trade able copy is if you already owned the game and the publisher allowed it. At least that's how the free games I've gotten in the past worked.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Kid_Casual wrote:
    Big Isy wrote:
    Kid_Casual wrote:

Off the top of my head.. Civ 5, Metro 2033, Witcher 2, Shift 2, Fallout 3 New Vegas

I'm sure you're aware, but Civ 5 and Shift 2 are weekend deals for $13 and $15, respectively. I'd have loved to help you out here if I could.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarkDragoonDarkDragoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    InkSplat wrote:
    So, does anyone know whose Steam ID is Nairume? They won my raffle, but I'm not recognizing the name, and they're not part of any PA Steamgroups, and I didn't recognize any of you guys on their friends list either.

And relating to that, does anyone know what sort of penalty there is for not fulfilling the raffle? Because if it's just a random lurker, I'm not sure I want to send it their way. Kind of a glaring weakness in even using steamgifts for our own community though, which is a pity.
    Nairume's me. Sorry I hadn't responded yet. I've been off doing school stuff for the better part of the day and just now saw the notice on the SteamGifts site.

I also keep forgetting to ask for an invite to the PA group D:

DarkDragoon on
  • Options
    Bullio wrote:
    Kid_Casual wrote:
    Big Isy wrote:
    Kid_Casual wrote:

I'm sure you're aware, but Civ 5 and Shift 2 are weekend deals for $13 and $15, respectively. I'd have loved to help you out here if I could.

Yeah, I saw that. I would be willing to do a trade for Civ5 and Shift 2 at those prices. That would be almost equal to what I paid for Dead Island.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    What Is Schwa?What Is Schwa? Registered User regular
    I also got the "extra" dead Island codes.. I'm not sure what to do with 'em. On one hand, I want the DLC, but on the other hand, two free copies of the game? I would trade the hell out of these.

• Options
    Wait, people were given extra Dead Island codes? I'm trying to trade or sell the NA code I bought that doesn't work in my region. Might make things more difficult if everyone has a bunch of extra codes..

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Honestly, I'm a little concerned about these "extra codes". Like, I hope they don't get noticed/caught/removed/whatever.

Sends up red flags of "too good to be true" for me.

As much as I'd like to give it a shot, I think I'll just have to hope for a 1/2 off sale in Nov/Dec.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Well, there's a claim in the DI thread that people are getting in trouble for using the keys for the extra copy. Might want to hold off giving them away for now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So out of curiosity, is there a way in Steam settings to keep my personal profile public while keeping my friends list out of the public eye?

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    cpugeek13cpugeek13 Registered User regular
    Rami wrote:

I'm playing! Add me!

• Options
    lostprophetlostprophet Registered User regular
    cpugeek13 wrote:
    Rami wrote:

I'm playing! Add me!

This game is so awesome. Add me too!

Steam: macg1991
    wotuserbar01.jpg: macg1991
    Check out the Penny Arcade World of Tanks thread to join us in some fun times.
  • Options
    Is there any way to change the FOV or enable vsync in Metro 2033? FOV is ridiculously small in this and it's actually getting in the way of my enjoying the game, which is something that I've never experienced before.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    Is there any way to change the FOV or enable vsync in Metro 2033? FOV is ridiculously small in this and it's actually getting in the way of my enjoying the game, which is something that I've never experienced before.

If you think the FOV is small normally, just wait till you see how it is with gasmask or nightvision on.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Peewi wrote:
    Bullio wrote:

If you think the FOV is small normally, just wait till you see how it is with gasmask or nightvision on.

I encountered the gasmask during the "tutorial" sequence. The FOV is so small to begin with that I didn't really even notice.

FOV issues aside, the game does seem to be pretty fun. It has a rather unique feel and personality to it that I'm really enjoying so far. It also looks pretty great with all settings maxed. Talk of the game's requirements had me worried that my rig might struggle a bit even with my new video card, but aside from some occasional screen tearing (which seems to be a common issue that isn't hardware related) I'm getting super smooth performance.

Also really digging Dungeons of Dredmor so far. It absolutely does not take itself seriously, which is something I very much approve of. For some reason I didn't realize what the logo/title screen was an homage to until a couple days ago.
    DOOM.jpg
    Awesome.

EDIT: Found FOV and VSync settings. Not sure why there are 3 cfg files, but whatever. Much better now!

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    I couldn't find the Hot Pursuit thread: is there a way to use my 360 controller in the menus? It is super annoying to play with it but have to navigate the menus with a keyboard

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    cpugeek13 wrote:
    Rami wrote:

I'm playing! Add me!

This game is so awesome. Add me too!

Finally got it working. Add me too!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:
    Honestly, I'm a little concerned about these "extra codes". Like, I hope they don't get noticed/caught/removed/whatever.

As much as I'd like to give it a shot, I think I'll just have to hope for a 1/2 off sale in Nov/Dec.
    Maybe help kidcasual out with his problem at the top of the page? The games he wanted in trade for it are about half price?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    I've got a bunch of pre order TF2 items if anyone wants to trade them for a game/games whatever, I dont really play TF2.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    tofu wrote:
    I couldn't find the Hot Pursuit thread: is there a way to use my 360 controller in the menus? It is super annoying to play with it but have to navigate the menus with a keyboard

Sure, but you navigate the menus using the d-pad, rather than the thumbsticks. Make sure the controller is enabled in settings.

I've got a bunch of pre order TF2 items if anyone wants to trade them for a game/games whatever, I dont really play TF2.

Same thing here. I think my "big" items are Bill's hat, the wingstick, the dragonborn helmet, the pip-boy, and the Deus Ex stuff.

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    My first giveaway is completed, and three lucky people got Borderlands: GOTY.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Damn! I'm so weak.

I have a ton of unplayed games, and yet I figured I had to have Civ V.
    And now I'm considering NFS: Hot Pursuit.... D:

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    Roshin wrote:
    tofu wrote:

Sure, but you navigate the menus using the d-pad, rather than the thumbsticks. Make sure the controller is enabled in settings.

Same thing here. I think my "big" items are Bill's hat, the wingstick, the dragonborn helmet, the pip-boy, and the Deus Ex stuff.

Oh, I didn't even think of trying the dpad, thanks

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    The Mantiz wrote:
    Damn! I'm so weak.

I have a ton of unplayed games, and yet I figured I had to have Civ V.
    And now I'm considering NFS: Hot Pursuit.... D:

For that price, who can blame you.

Just stick it in the queue. It's too good a deal to pass up.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Bullio wrote:

widescreengamingforum has the answer to your problems, I didn't bother with the launcher, editing the cfg file was easy enough
    A launcher exists if you want to edit some graphics settings including resolution and FOV without fiddling with config files: http://www.moddb.com/mods/metro-2033-launcher

FYI settings are saved in user.cfg files in two distinct locations:
    1) C:\Users\\AppData\Local\4A Games\Metro 2033\ (or in WinXP: C:\Documents and settings\\Local Settings\Application Data\4A Games\Metro 2033\)
    2) C:\Program Files\Steam\userdata\\43110\remote\
    Any manual edit must be done in both user.cfg files to take effect.
    There's also a third one in the install folder holding default values; you shouldn't need to ever edit this one (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\metro 2033\).

Resolution is saved like this...
    r_res_hor 1680 (display width)
    r_res_vert 1050 (display height)

A couple other useful values...
    r_fullscreen on (off for windowed mode)
    sick_fov 45. (try 65. for a less "in your face" experience. Affects gameplay, cut-scenes and the main menu.)

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PhurrehPhurreh Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Rock of Ages looks crazy fun.
    And it actually is. So simple, yet satisfying.

Phurreh on
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I don't understand why developers release FPS games with extremely limited resolution options and without easy ways to edit the fov.

If your engine supports whatever resolution and fov I enter in the console or add to a .cfg file, why don't you just put that option in your damn menu?

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Forar wrote:

One of the employees from either Deep Silver or Techland posted on the GMG forums that the extra keys are a mistake and that they ARE trackable and that they would be disabled shortly. He even suggested that your Steam account may be flagged if the extra code is activated.

I'm not sure if he was saying that to try and curb the clusterfuck but either way, I don't recommend giving your extra code to anyone to use, or using someone's extra code.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    If you're referring to Metro 2033, I think it had to do mainly with setting a very specific mood and using the FOV to help with that (thus the highly unusually narrow FOV), and didn't put it in the options because it was a design decision more than a technical one; as the game isn't exactly lacking in settings and options.

Other more general FPS's though? I have no idea. I don't doubt some it is a similar type design decision, others I think it could just be lack of forethought or laziness.

Then there's always performance to take into consideration. Given the (moderately sad) fact that many, or most, games these days are designed at best alongside console versions, but more commonly are ports of console versions, the decisions borne out of making their engine run well on a console tend to stick around in the PC version too. The more stuff on screen the harder it is for a console to draw, thus limiting FOV's to a standard and leaving it there and not really thinking (or desiring) to add it as an option in the PC settings.

Plus, FOV isn't a standardized thing. It honestly varies game to game. In one game 90 is perfectly good for a 16:9 monitor and then in another it is too narrow and in another it makes everything bizarrely fish-eyed and look terrible. I think the artists or designers find whats best for their game and that's how they want players to see what they've created. Which is perfectly reasonable.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    More like, narrow FOVs look "cinematic" when you're sitting many feet away from the TV, but gets into hurksville when you're hunched over a monitor. (Motion sickness suuuuuuuuuuucks.)

"I think it had to do mainly with setting a very specific mood and using the FOV to help with that (thus the highly unusually narrow FOV), and didn't put it in the options because it was a design decision more than a technical one; as the game isn't exactly lacking in settings and options."

Are we booting the same game out of curiosity? Because mine has low, medium, high, and very high as presets and fuck you and go hand-edit some files if you want to change anything else besides a little AA or AF.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I bought Hot Pursuit and it runs fine most of the time.
    My framerate seems to drop suddenly and then shoot back up though, which is a little annoying. Does anyone else experience this? Or know of a way to get rid of it?

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote:

Outstanding giveaway. Spread that BL gospel!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Yay, now in the Steam group. So do you guys just swap games and general tomfoolery in this thread?

Hoping to get in on the TF2 item trading action. I just started playing and am a loot whore.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote:

Ah, so that was yours. I did not win. =P

camo_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.