As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help switching ps3 to HDMI **PROBLEM SOLVED**

DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Every once in a while, something happens to my ps3 and it resets back to composite (red yellow white) output. I don't understand what causes it to do this. It has happened in quite a while, so I sort of foggy on setting it to output via HDMI.

I tried going to display settings and setting it to HDMI, but nothing happened. I think I am doing something wrong, or forgetting to do something.

I tried doing the hold the button down until it beeps twice thing, and couldn't get that to work either.

Can someone help me out? I would really appreciate it.

I looked at this:
http://portfolioofpb.com/blog/ps3-blank-screen-switch-inputs-hdmi-to-composite-to-hdmi

and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I unplug the composite cable, plug in the hdmi cable, and hold the power button down until I hear two beeps, and I still get nothing.
I've tried two different hdmi cables and every port of my TV. It seems stuck with composite for some reason.

It was working fine forever. My nephew played New Vegas, we turned it off, he went home. I did some stuff, went to play Saints Row 2, and it was switched back to composite for some reason. It took me a while to realize that, and I little more time to remember where in the hell my composite cable was...

DouglasDanger on

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    When you do a video reset, it cycles through the different cables and resolutions until it finds one that works. It may take a couple of minutes to get to the HDMI output.

This is the official playstation.net manual on the subject:
    http://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps3/current/settings/videooutput.html

Not sure that's helpful at all. The final Hints are a bit cryptic:
    "If a device that is not compatible with the HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) standard is connected to the system using an HDMI cable, video and/or audio cannot be output from the system."

I know that I always (without fail) have to power down my TV (as in, actually power cycling it instead of just suspending it) and restart it in order to reconnect my PS3 through HDMI. This is particularly annoying if it crashes during Fallout: New Vegas (turn off the TV, power off the PS3, listen for the 3 beep crash, power on the TV, power on the PS3).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Hm. Thanks for the tip.

I don't understand what causes this to happen. Nothing changed, I didn't unplug anything, or trip a breaker or anything.

• Options
    That did it, @Hahnsoo1. I had to pull the plug on my TV (A Sony Bravia) to get it to reset. Thank you very much!