As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Someone Tried to Steal My Dog Today

CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Some background first: my late mother was heavily into dogs. She loved them. Loved dog shows too. She bought a male and female Black Russian Terrier from a woman she met in the dog show social.... Whatever. Anyway, after her death, my father and I couldn't manage to care for two large dogs alone, and so we gave the bitch to another couple for safekeeping while we got our house in order. That was a few years ago.

Now the lady from earlier showed up today just a few hours ago, trying to get the male into a "breeding program". My father and her got into a verbal altercation. She said she knew some of an old motorcycle gang, which we knew as well. She also said she'd sue and a whole bunch of other unpleasentness. We've attempted to contact the females' keepers, but have thus far been unable to. So we contacted her, the dog lady, ex-husband, who's a good guy. Turns out he got everything in the divorce, including all the dogs, and now she's desperate for money and sue crazy. It seems she was trying to use our greed to get my dog.

So what do I do? I'm not afraid of her, as all her threats are empty, but I do fear for my father's anxiety and for my dog's safety?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
CaptainNemo on

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    The only thing you really could do right now is to phone the police (non emergency number) and file a report on her saying she was harrassing you or making threats or whatever the situation. If nothing else it would be helpful to have documented what happened and in case she does try something worse you can build a case against her.

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    Is your dog micro chipped? On the off chance that he is actually ever taken having him chipped is good proof he's yours just in case it ever comes down to it.

• Options
    815165 wrote:
    Is your dog micro chipped? On the off chance that he is actually ever taken having him chipped is good proof he's yours just in case it ever comes down to it.

We have the paperwork that states he's ours, so I'm not worried on that front.
    Bedlam wrote:
    The only thing you really could do right now is to phone the police (non emergency number) and file a report on her saying she was harrassing you or making threats or whatever the situation. If nothing else it would be helpful to have documented what happened and in case she does try something worse you can build a case against her.

I'm not sure how much the police can do. I'll wait a few days, see how things develop. I'm examining all the options right now.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Bedlam wrote:

I'm not sure how much the police can do. I'll wait a few days, see how things develop. I'm examining all the options right now.

The police will make a note of the complaint and file it away which would be handy if she shows up at your place again. If she is running a scam on her old customers to get their pets then it will be +1 to the stack of complaints about her.

A phone call to the police is pretty much minimal time and effort. Putting it off isn't going to help you at all.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yeah, you're right. I'll wake up the other witness and make one right now.

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    815165 wrote:

Paperwork proves you own a dog matching the description of your dog. A microchip and tattoo registered to you proves that your dog is your dog.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote:
    Bedlam wrote:

The police will make a note of the complaint and file it away which would be handy if she shows up at your place again. If she is running a scam on her old customers to get their pets then it will be +1 to the stack of complaints about her.

A phone call to the police is pretty much minimal time and effort. Putting it off isn't going to help you at all.

I don't understand the "the police won't help" thought. Sure, they aren't going to arrest her on the spot based on what you've said, but for one, it doesn't hurt to say "Hey, this lady has threatened us." It's more about the documenting it than anything else just in case something does happen.

It seems to be the general remark to contact the police advice, though, when it's about the easiest thing you can do and is likely to save you trouble in the future.

• Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Ruckus wrote:
    815165 wrote:

Paperwork proves you own a dog matching the description of your dog. A microchip and tattoo registered to you proves that your dog is your dog.

This. Get the microchip. They're cheap too.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BeckBeck Registered User regular
    815165 wrote:

Bedlam wrote:

Calling the police in this situation is a bit like getting into an accident, and calling the police to take a statement. If you haven't done anything wrong, it's for your protection and in your best interest to document as much as possible.

Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    If they are purebred you might want to double check the original sales contract (if one exists). Often enough these can include clauses where the original breeder can use the dogs for breeding in the future when they want to.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Her ex got the dog breeding business in the divorce so he would be the one with the contract.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote:
    Her ex got the dog breeding business in the divorce so he would be the one with the contract.

That is assuming quite a bit here. You are assuming the half crazy couple had an actual business regarding breeding instead of just occasionally breeding dogs. If the business didn't exist it is possible it is her name on the hypothetical contract that retained breeding rights.

@OP, I would be careful about assuming anything of the sort. It would be a good idea to pull out those papers and contracts and give them a read through. She might have some kind of point legally. If that's the case you certainly do not want to just ignore her.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    "Oops the dog is fixed."

Alternatively, fix your dog.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    "Oops the dog is fixed."

Alternatively, fix your dog.

It's the only responsible thing to do!

But, seriously, if there's a contract regarding breeding rights, that could cause more problems. Don't do that. Do pull out the contracts and read them over, and do call the police to file a report. Regardless of whether the woman has a claim, she's being a goose and straight up harassing you. If she wants to pursue the issue she needs to do so legally.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter