As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - Matchmaking that actually works?

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    as_oilrig was tops. Assassinate was a sweet mode and they should never have phased it out.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Bethryn wrote:
    as_oilrig was tops. Assassinate was a sweet mode and they should never have phased it out.

Worst mode ever.

"Let's take a normal mode and make it so the attacking team never wins."

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    man escape maps never should have been phased out. I loved them.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Turns out that trailer posted earlier is actually three years old.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwiv1t1QiEE

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote:
    Bethryn wrote:

Worst mode ever.

"Let's take a normal mode and make it so the attacking team never wins."

More like best mode ever. It's tough as nails to win when escaping but oh so satisfying when you do.

• Options
    jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    So how long until CS:S players complain about how CS:GO ruined the balance of the game?

• Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    As long as I can run straight up the middle with the TMP and blast some fools before they know what is happening I'm happy.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    I guess I'll be the voice of dissent and say that I do not want this at all, at least not at this time. Valve can do what they want, but the Valve legions have been clamoring for Ep3 since Ep3's release. I've literally heard no one ask for a new version of CS. I know enough about the CS community to know they're set in their ways and will be bitching and whining about the move to this everyday before release and probably for some time after, so there's certainly no demand from them for this. The only way I can get excited for this is if its being developed concurrently with Ep3 for "The Oranger Box" or for a new engine roll out like they did with HL2 and CS:S.

I'll also freely admit that I think the CS community is quite possibly the worst game-centered community in existence, and my experiences with it in the year I played CS:S on and off were horrible enough to turn me off of the entire franchise forever. Perhaps it's changed somewhat since 04-05, but I somehow doubt it. I'd imagine quite the opposite with the passage of so much time. If this ushers in an almost completely new community and the current CS community stays with CS/CS:S, then that's something I would be happy about. Potentially dealing with that lot again in a new game is what I dread most about this. If I do play this, it will be after the dust settles (no pun intended) and battle lines are set. If the CS community as a whole migrates to this, it's a no-consideration from me. Which kind of sucks, because I really did enjoy playing CS back in 00-01 with friends and the occasional pub game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure how much of an improvement this will be over CS:S, given CS:S was already updated to the Orange Box engine. And more time has passed since CS:S came out than passed between CS and CS:S, so there is an abundance of mods for both that the new game will be lacking at launch.

But as I have never been one of the multitudes who complain whenever Valve adjusted bunnyhopping speed, interp, or gun barrel size, I will almost certainly buy this and troll casual servers by being better than them.

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    Which guns do you want see? It would be nice id there was a grenade launcher attachment.

Abakan, HK416 and Baikal for me.

I'm waiting Delta Force: Angel Falls to come out one day . I want it to be Rainbow Six with Vehicles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yp2LEIJ4dw

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Randomshot wrote:
    God why would you play CS on a console. That is a sin against God and man.

I'm not exactly sure what this statement is suppose to mean. Or the basis for it at any rate.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote:

I haven't played that map since 1.6. Was it even ported over to Source?

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Bethryn wrote:

I don't know about the map itself, but the as game mode isn't in Source.

• Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    I think they dropped the assassinate game mode from source.

• Options
    Peewi wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Bethryn wrote:

I don't know about the map itself, but the as game mode isn't in Source.

There was definitely an oilrig level I'd played in 1.6, but it wasn't any mode aside from what was standard. I can't remember if it was a bombing map or a hostage map.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    Casual mode?

In Counter-Strike?

Ahahahahahahaha.

"lawl gtfo awp fgt"

Yeah, this will end well.

• Options
    Is there any reason why many of you are just assuming this is going to be exactly the same Counter-Strike without any changes?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    My favorite map was always cs(?)_militia

Not sure what it was about it, but I loved it, even more so in Source. So enamored was I that I even drew an awesome stick figure comic about it when I was in 9th grade. Had a stack of old homework and math quizzes inches thick of em.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    I never liked militia with people, but I downloaded some bot mod and attacked the place 1vX. That was fun.

• Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    jimbo034 wrote:
    So how long until CS:S players complain about how CS:GO ruined the balance of the game?
    We're still waiting for an exact release date.

• Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
  • Options
    running with the knife out... still faster than running with gun out?
    Yes.

Hardcore CS fans PLEASED.

• Options
    The 1.6 players in that reddit thread sound like right ol' babies.

• Options
    reVerse wrote:
    The 1.6 players in that reddit thread sound like right ol' babies.

They've been babies for more than a decade.

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    It doesn't really sound like they will change much. It'll still be a 100 health/100 armor shoot from the hip round based FPS where you buy weapons.

• Options
    Yeah I eyed over some of the responses the guy gave and I'm kinda disappointed. Valve already talked it up a lot, and I feel silly for what I've been saying in the thread thus far.

• Options
    By that logic, every sequel doesn't change much from the original. It really doesn't sound like they're changing much, though, they must have a few cards up their sleeve like it being F2P or some sort of graphical upgrade.

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Well people have already mentioned graphical upgrades, new weapons, matchmaking functionality and all that. It's less Counter-Strike 2 and more Counter-Strike 1.9.

• Options
    Adding current-gen FPS functionality to CS without changing the flavor of CS.

• Options
    MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    so long as there are surf maps I'm happy

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    This may also be a kind of CS branch that allows them to really try different things out, outside of the CS:S beta loop. If it's indeed a F2P version I could see it being testbed for CS 2 ideas.

We're never getting Ep 3, are we. :(

• Options
    We'll get Half-Life 3 eventually. In the mean time, we must serve the Newell by buying fancy bling for our AK-47s.

• Options
    Half-Life 2: Episode 3: Aperture-Strike for Dead Fortress.

• Options
    A friend of mine has recently been saying that Valve doesn't know how to count to three. It's starting to seem more and more true.

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    My favorite map was always cs(?)_militia

Not sure what it was about it, but I loved it, even more so in Source. So enamored was I that I even drew an awesome stick figure comic about it when I was in 9th grade. Had a stack of old homework and math quizzes inches thick of em.

Up on your roofs, awping your buddies. There's a soft in my heart for that level, too. I think racked up the most hours on cs_assault (and its variants), cs_militia, de_aztec, cs_italy, and cs_office. Never much cared for de_dust 1 & 2. Shocking, I know.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Personally, I don't really get the desire to see Half-Life 3. Sure, it'll conclude the personal stories of Player One and Alyx, but we all know how it's gonna end: aliens lose, humans win, G-Man is going to do something of no importance that he makes look vaguely important.

I would like to see them come up with something entirely new, like some sort of fairy RPG.

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Henroid wrote:

I'm pretty sure all the hardcore CS fans would still shit their pants with rage if they were suddenly forced to have to iron sight their guns and all that jazz. CS's formula has carried it for years at this point. Hell, it's still the #1 and #2 shooter on Steam. While I'm all for seeing some tweaks made and maybe some new toys to experiment with, deviating from the core CS gameplay would be an absolute folly.

I'm hoping that Gun Game is made into an official mode. :3

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    I cannot wait to shoot PS3 players in the face for the glory of the PC master race.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Nice! Time to start mapping again.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

I'm pretty sure all the hardcore CS fans would still shit their pants with rage if they were suddenly forced to have to iron sight their guns and all that jazz. CS's formula has carried it for years at this point. Hell, it's still the #1 and #2 shooter on Steam. While I'm all for seeing some tweaks made and maybe some new toys to experiment with, deviating from the core CS gameplay would be an absolute folly.

I'm hoping that Gun Game is made into an official mode. :3
    The #1 game is TF2 which made drastic changes to its formula from the original and became way more popular.

They're really handicapping themselves by making a rehash. People who don't currently play CS:S or CS1.6 won't have much interest in playing this new one because it'll be the same fucking thing. All they will do is split their playerbase more without adding very many new players.

It'll be three very similar games, each utilizing a different generation of graphical detail.

Hoz on