As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] A late pre-PAX dinner (NOT The Pre-PAX Dinner)

TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
edited August 2011 in PAX Archive
Stand back! There's a Hurricane coming through!

First, this post is not about The Pre-PAX Dinner. I don't want there to be any confusion on that point. From what I understand, The Pre-PAX Dinner is a really cool event, and I hope I can work my schedule so I can go next year. It is, however, already sold out for this year.

That said, some of us who will not be attending The Pre-PAX Dinner or the TWDT will be meeting for a late dinner on Thursday night before PAX.

Where: Due to the unfortunate closure of The Night Kitchen, the location has changed. We will now be eating at The Hurricane Café. For those who will (like me) be walking, it looks like this place is about half a mile from the Convention Center/Sheraton.

When: Thursday, August 25, 10:45 PM. A group will be meeting outside the WSCTC around 10:15-10:20 PM, if you want to join us and walk over as a group, but we'll be leaving for The Hurricane at 10:30 PM.

Important Information: The Hurricane doesn't split checks, so please BRING CASH. Also, be aware that 18% gratuity will be added to your bill, so please plan accordingly and bring enough cash for that as well. We will probably be taking over the back room (and we may need a few other tables on top of that). They will be watching for "Jerry's group of PAX people," so if you meet us at the Hurricane instead of the convention center, tell them you're with that group and they should be able to direct you to the right place.
Liger wrote:
One more price note for Out-of-Staters: Sales tax here is 9.5%. When you are figuring out your cut of the check, you can round the tax/tip to about 30%.

Confirmed Attendance:
*Teletheus (+1)
GamingGoddess (+3)
crazyice85 (+1?)
Pineappl
*oO Wallace Oo
Jobias (+2)
yanthrax (+1)
TNTrooper
Mattaui
Vanishing Point
*Traitorious
TimDisaster
sarge1445 (+3)
VaporKnight
Jinu (+1)
*Jakeotaku
VankyaKaramazov (+1)
CGamesPlay (+1)
stemby (+3)
*svnrds
*kainz0r (+4)
Aractor
*j03n1nj4 (+1)
*Cirdan
CuvisTheConqueror
Om Nom on Souls (+1)
spiderknight87
*VaporKnight
*Fluidfyre
*shockwaver

If you're planning on joining us and you're not on the list, you're welcome to tag along and join us if The Hurricane has room to seat you. You've got a good chance of squeezing in -- since there's always the possibility of a few no-shows and the restaurant may have enough tables to accommodate extras -- but I can't guarantee anything.

Also, if you want to walk over from the convention center with us, tell me and we'll try to wait for you (as long as you get there before 10:35 PM or so -- I don't want the restaurant to start freaking out if they plan for all of us and don't see us show up on time, so if you're later than that, you'll have to catch up or meet us there). Looking forward to seeing all of you Thursday night!

Original post below:
---
First off, just to clarify: As noted in the subject line, this post is not about The Pre-PAX Dinner. THAT post is here. One of these years, I'll get to Seattle early enough to attend that one. This year is not that year.

Here's the deal. I won't arrive in Seattle until at least 9:00 PM (possibly later, if my flight gets delayed for some reason); consequently, I cannot attend the aforementioned Pre-PAX Dinner. I also didn't sign up for the TWDT in time, so I won't be able to attend that either. I would, however, like to get a late dinner, meet some fellow PAXers, and start the festivities (and perhaps the gaming) a night early.

So, for those (it seems, relatively few) of you on the forums who are also missing The Dinner and The Tournament: Anyone interested in joining me?

PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
Teletheus on

• Options
    tokyodovetokyodove Perth, WARegistered User regular
    i don't know about a whole shindig, but im definitely down for a meet up before PAX. i arrive on the 25th in the afternoon and im gambling on how much jetlag ive got, but if ive got any gas left in the tank count me in

• Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    I'd be interested!

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    MattauiMattaui Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    I should be all settled in by early afternoon on Thursday, so even if I've already snagged something to eat, I'd be up for doing something. As I'll want to be up bright and early to hit PAX in the morning, I won't want to be out too late.

• Options
    oO Wallace OooO Wallace Oo Registered User regular
    I would be up for it. I get in at 8:00 and should be settled and go wandering downtown getting my bearings. I don't eat before flying so I'll be ready to eat by about then.

• Options
    Awesome! Glad there's so much interest. Any suggestions on where/what kind of food? I'll eat (almost) anything, but I don't know too many places downtown. Maybe the Taphouse?

• Options
    JakeotakuJakeotaku Registered User regular
    Sounds like it could be fun, count me in if anything ever gets decided.

• Options
    aragorn18aragorn18 Registered User regular
    Teletheus wrote:
    Awesome! Glad there's so much interest. Any suggestions on where/what kind of food? I'll eat (almost) anything, but I don't know too many places downtown. Maybe the Taphouse?
    Daily Grill, right next to the convention center, is open until 2AM.

• Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    aragorn18 wrote:
    Daily Grill, right next to the convention center, is open until 2AM.

ate there last year since it's in the sheraton. remember the food being pretty good.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    I was going to say the Taphouse is a bit pricey but $14 for a burger and that is a cheap dinner item you got to be shitting me Daily Grill.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote:
    I was going to say the Taphouse is a bit pricey but $14 for a burger and that is a cheap dinner item you got to be shitting me Daily Grill.

I'm certainly open to other (and cheaper) suggestions, but I'm not too familiar with Seattle--I've only visited twice, and both times were for PAX, so I didn't really explore the rest of the city that much. Given that my flight is scheduled to get in at 9 PM, this is probably going to be around 10:15 or 10:30 PM on Thursday night (so I have time to get downtown and drop my stuff off in my room first), and I have no idea what will be open at that time.

• Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    TimDisasterTimDisaster San AntonioRegistered User regular
    I would suggest GameWorks. Games + Food in the heart of Downtown, right near the convention center.

Twitter: TimDisaster PSN: TimDisaster XBL: xTimDISASTERx
  • Options
    yanthraxyanthrax boners bonersRegistered User regular
    I'd be down, but if this is for a large group, should we plan for a reservation and a headcount ahead of time?

• Options
    createacat1createacat1 CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I fly in afteroon on the 25th, My cousin and I would be down.

gAmErTaG - createacat1
  • Options
    We all need to decide on a meeting place.

What are the choices?

my suggestion is GameWorks, and they have alcohol for any 21+

• Options
    I would be down for gameworks

gAmErTaG - createacat1
  • Options
    Looks like the grill is open until 11:30 at GameWorks.

• Options
    if that's too early for closing. this is also an idea. http://nightkitchenseattle.com/

• Options
    SaxicideSaxicide Registered User regular
    if that's too early for closing. this is also an idea. http://nightkitchenseattle.com/

I love the night kitchen, so much! The food is quite tasty, and everyone is super friendly. A few cautions, though: All the food is cooked from scratch, so it takes a little bit longer than you may think to get to your table--this isn't a greasy spoon. The place is actually fairly small, so if this group starts getting to 7 or 8 people, you should probably call and ask about a reservation.

Also, they have a cafe-style backroom with couches, chairs, board games and an N64 (at least last time I was there)!

• Options
    JobiasJobias Registered User regular
    My friends and I won't land until 8pm and we probably won't get settled in until 9pm at the earliest so you can count 3 people as "very interested" :D

• Options
    Night Kitchen looks really cool, but also the sort of place that would be utterly swamped with all the PAXers in town. Always fun to check out a local place, too.

• Options
    I understand the appeal of GameWorks, but the kitchen's closing time might be an issue if my flight gets delayed. Also, I glanced at The Night Kitchen's menu, and it looks good. It'd be nice to try something unique to the Seattle area, too.

So I'm leaning toward this: Night Kitchen for the dinner (let's say at 10:30 PM), then either stay there for board games and the N64 (if it's still there) or head to GameWorks for some solid arcade time (if it's still open). If neither gaming option works out, we can always hit a hotel lobby for some board games or handheld gaming or something. See where the night leads. I'm flexible like that.

Who's in, and how many are coming? I'm thinking @yanthrax and @Saxicide are right--a reservation would be a good idea (especially, as @Mattaui noted, with the PAX crowd in town), so I'd like a head count to help me do that. (Also, if you're comfortable PMing me some contact info, that'll help with any last-minute logistical problems that might crop up.)

• Options
    Count me in and +2 others!

Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
  • Options
    oO Wallace OooO Wallace Oo Registered User regular
    Count me in :D

• Options
    edited August 2011
    OP edited to include the time, location, and confirmed attendance list.

Teletheus on
  • Options
    yanthraxyanthrax boners bonersRegistered User regular
    Either place sounds like a fine idea. Count me in +1! I haven't run this by him yet but the food looks excellent and affordable, so I'm sure we will show up!

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    The Night Kitchen looks pretty awesome so count me in.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Put me down for now. I should be able to swing by and hang out for a bit!

• Options
    Vanishing PointVanishing Point Registered User regular
    Barring anything that would get in my way, I too would be down for this shindig.

Fact 200. Album One - Conch shell red. Album Two - Peony blue. Not for resale unless desperate.
  • Options
    Awesome. 14 folks so far. Maybe we can ask them to reserve the whole back room. How big is it, @Saxicide?

• Options
    crazyice85crazyice85 Registered User regular
    Im in and maybe my brother. U can thank goddess for talking me into it lol

• Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    I might willing to go. Need to work out logistics with the friend I'm going with since he won't get in until 10:30.

• Options
    CapuchinWraithCapuchinWraith Registered User regular
    I'm in +1. My friend flies in late Thursday so this is perfect for us.

• Options
    @crazyice85, are you the +2 that @GamingGoddess mentioned earlier, or are you in addition to them?

• Options
    I should be able to make it. I don't know what else I should do.

• Options
    If I'm counting crazy ice then it could be me and +4 or 5

• Options
    I will confirm with my cousin, I am flying into sea in the late afternoon. Will post when I can confirm

gAmErTaG - createacat1
  • Options
    sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    Teletheus wrote:
    First, this post is not about The Pre-PAX Dinner. THAT post is here. I don't want there to be any confusion on that point. From what I understand, The Pre-PAX Dinner is a really cool event, and I hope I can work my schedule so I can go next year. It is, however, already sold out for this year.

That said, some of us who will not be attending The Pre-PAX Dinner or the TWDT will be meeting for a late dinner on Thursday night before PAX. I want to call in advance to get a reservation, if possible, so please post to confirm if you will be joining us and tell me how many will be coming with you. A PM with contact info would be helpful as well, just in case there are any last-minute problems (like, say, my flight getting delayed).

Where: The Night Kitchen. For those who will (like me) be walking, it looks like this place is about half a mile from the Convention Center/Sheraton.
    When: Thursday, August 25, 10:30 PM.

Confirmed Attendance
    Teletheus (+1)
    GamingGoddess (+2)
    oO Wallace Oo
    Jobias (+2)
    yanthrax (+1)
    TNTrooper
    Mattaui
    Vanishing Point
    crazyice85 (+1?)
    (Traitorious?)
    CapuchinWraith (+1)

Looking forward to seeing all of you there!

Original post below:
    ---
    First off, just to clarify: As noted in the subject line, this post is not about The Pre-PAX Dinner. THAT post is here. One of these years, I'll get to Seattle early enough to attend that one. This year is not that year.

Here's the deal. I won't arrive in Seattle until at least 9:00 PM (possibly later, if my flight gets delayed for some reason); consequently, I cannot attend the aforementioned Pre-PAX Dinner. I also didn't sign up for the TWDT in time, so I won't be able to attend that either. I would, however, like to get a late dinner, meet some fellow PAXers, and start the festivities (and perhaps the gaming) a night early.

So, for those (it seems, relatively few) of you on the forums who are also missing The Dinner and The Tournament: Anyone interested in joining me?
    sign me and my 3 buddies up

I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • Options
    VaporKnightVaporKnight Registered User regular
    I will be going to PAX solo this year. Dinner with some peeps sounds great. :)

• Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    The Night Kitchen is quite small; but really good food and so small that it's a bit hard to find without the address handy. We went last year on either Wednesday or Thursday night some time between 10 and 2 AM, don't really remember exactly. Was not full of PAXers, wasn't even full. I had a delicious burger, and I tried their (white gravy) poutine and someone had like... and elk burger or something. Food was great. But if you wan't cheap greasy spoon food at a place that has a bar, and is cheaper, go to the Hurricane; it's about the same distance, also much larger. Last year we went on Wednesday; the Night Kitchen might be more full of PAXers on Thursday night. Still, it's a nice little place with good food. The Hurricane is like non-Denny's for after everything; with booze till 2AM.

I'd go but I'm Triwizarding.
    CA CAWW!

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.